Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:45 PM

Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen (7469 Views)

Dickson Rejects Conduct Of Election In Southern Ijaw / Buhari Expresses Satisfaction With Conduct Of Polls / Nigeria Policemen Need Special Anointing –pastor Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 3:06pm On Jan 24, 2012
Security guard accuses policemen of robbery

There was pandemonium at the Idi-Iroko end of Ikorodu Road in Lagos on Thursday night after men believed to be policemen, allegedly robbed and assaulted Olumide Aderibigbe, a security guard with Tunde Debasco Company.

Metro learnt that on the day of the incident, Aderibigbe was on his way to buy food in the company of a friend when armed men in mufti accosted them and ordered them to empty their pockets.

Aderibigbe said, “Around 9pm on Thursday, my friend and I were walking towards Maryland Bus Stop to get food when two men on a motorcycle double-crossed us and ordered us to empty our pockets.

“One of the men remained on the motorcycle while the other came down and pointed a gun at us.

“The gun was wrapped with a newspaper but the barrel pointed out and I could see that it was a berretta pistol.”

Aderibigbe said he told the men he had little money on him and pleaded with them to leave him alone but the men were reluctant.

He said, “All I had on me was N400 which I immediately gave to them. They were about to go when they saw the shape of my phone protruding from my pocket and probably thought it was money.

“The guy with the gun demanded that I hand over my phone and I pleaded with him that I couldn’t because I had just bought the phone and hadn’t even finished paying for it.

“The man pulled down my trousers and while he was struggling with my belt, he attempted to shoot me but the gun got jammed. As he was attempting to fix the gun, I quickly kicked the gun away from him and it fell on the floor and we started fighting.

“One of them bit me in the chest while another one picked up a piece of wood and started beating me with it.”

It was learnt that while Aderibigbe was fighting with the man, his friend seized the opportunity to escape.

Metro

gathered that as the fight went on, bystanders and motorists immediately came close to see what was happening.

“The incident aroused some people who came closer to see what was happening. [b]Idi-Iroko end of Ikorodu Road has no functional traffic light, so people could not really see what was going on. They were scared of coming close but I kept on shouting, ‘please save me, armed robbers want to kill me!” Aderibigbe said.[/b]

It was gathered that a motorist summed up courage to intervene and separated Aderibigbe and the armed man from fighting but the incident took a sudden twist when the two men identified themselves as policemen.

Aderibigbe said, “The two men identified themselves as policemen and they said they would take me along with them to their station after telling people that I was an armed robber and they came to arrest me.

“I begged the crowd not to allow the men to take me away because I feared they would kill me the moment we left there.

“Luckily for me, because I live in the area, some of the people there recognised me and my neighbour who was there, immediately invited policemen from the Anthony Police Division to intervene.”

Metro

learnt that when they arrived at the police station, the policemen identified themselves and were treated warmly by their colleagues at the station.

Aderibigbe said, “The policeman on duty at the station, one Mr. Williams Osaboro, an assistant superintendent of police, told me to leave because it was around 11pm. He promised to handle the matter and asked me to report the next day and to make a statement.

“When it was 2am, I could see the same policemen near my compound looking for something but I was not really sure what it was.

“It was the next morning that I discovered that it was their identity cards that they were looking for. Unfortunately for them, they did not see the cards as one of my neighbours had taken them.”

Metro learnt that the names on the police identity cards and expired driving licence respectively were; Mr. Junaidu Yahaya, a police corporal with force number, 366374 and one Chukwusa Anthony.

Aderibigbe told our correspondent that on getting to the police station the next day, he was disappointed with the manner the police addressed the situation.

He said, “When I got to the station, the policeman on duty told me to leave, saying that the case had been sorted out and I should be thankful to God that I wasn’t killed.

“I further learnt that the policeman had been released without even making a statement and their gun was returned to them.”

Aderibigbe urged police authorities to look into the matter. “Why would policemen engage in robbery? It’s very disheartening because these are people charged with the duty of fighting crime yet they go about robbing people. I want the police authorities to do something about this. I know the identity of the man who robbed me,” he said angrily.

It was however learnt that the Divisional Police Officer, Mr. Ademola Raji, had got wind of the situation and investigations were ongoing.

It was learnt that the policemen might be asked to report at the station for questioning.

http://www.punchng.com/news/security-guard-accuses-policemen-of-robbery/
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 3:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
It is high time government did something drastic about the Nigeria Police. The whole essence of any government is welfare of the people and protection of lives & properties.

Do people feel secure in Nigeria?
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 3:11pm On Jan 24, 2012
This is the ID card that was found.

This matter contains detailed facts of names of persons and places to warrant an investigation.

Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Arosa(m): 3:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
that is their way na. naija police.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 3:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
In another instance, have a look at what they were doing with a Patrol vehicle. How can they fight crime effectively?

Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 24, 2012
nigerian police reverse superheroes

police by day, criminals by night
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by sugar001(f): 4:00pm On Jan 24, 2012
Lawd have mercy! This is sad,
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by AmAlone: 4:03pm On Jan 24, 2012
Nigeria Is So Cursed!!!
If I may ask; Who Cursed Her This Bad
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by omoeso(m): 4:04pm On Jan 24, 2012
What a country! Not surprised though, 9ja police, the only legalized set of arm robbers in Nigeria. Shame!!!
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by gascoign1(m): 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
This is no news, we all know Nigeria police force are all robbers in uniform
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2012
Am Alone:

Nigeria Is So Cursed!!!
If I may ask; Who Cursed Her This Bad

Lmao. . . .na you go answer that one o but honestly,police is a career i wont even wish for my worse enemy.Very stu-pid set of human beings i swear.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by brainpulse: 4:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
Even Goodlick the president cannot do anything about it. How can this rport get to the lagos commisional of police because he always make mouth that police are saints
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 24, 2012
brainpulse:

Even Goodlick the president cannot do anything about it. How can this rport get to the lagos commisional of police because he always make mouth that police are saints

Even Ringin doesnt believe his men are corrupt .
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Beaf: 4:20pm On Jan 24, 2012
These are bastar'ds we expect to fight boko haram. 90% of them should be lined up and shot. angry
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by babaowo: 4:26pm On Jan 24, 2012
na today? How many time naija police had killed travellers and took away their belongins
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Rhea(f): 4:29pm On Jan 24, 2012
This guy dey lucky ooh say the police no shoot am for police station as armed robber.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2012
"To Rob And Dispossess" should be the motto of the Nigerian Police, except that they also kill people as well.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Baawaa(m): 4:31pm On Jan 24, 2012
This is not new,it happened everyday
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 24, 2012
babaowo:

na today? How many time naija police had killed travellers and took away their belongins
Rhea:

This guy dey lucky ooh say the police no shoot am for police station as armed robber.

And these are people paid to ensure safety of lives and properties ? No wonder a terrorist enter the force headquarters and bombed the building.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 24, 2012
as if it is new. the police is your pocket's friend.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by hilli666(m): 4:39pm On Jan 24, 2012
Someone please call 999, tell them ive just being shot down, and the bullet is in my soul, its piercing through my heart, feel my body getting cold~Wyclef Jean
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 4:40pm On Jan 24, 2012
webdezzi:

as if it is new. the police is your pocket's friend.

Baawaa:

This is not new,it happened everyday

You are right. It is not new but should it continue like this?

This is one of the things that OccupyNigeria should be about.  

Let's demand for a better Police.  Let's demand that the Police be reformed.  Let's demand for security of lives for Nigerians.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 4:40pm On Jan 24, 2012
It is in Nigeria that policemen openly, shamelessly, and fearlessly collect cash from citizens and pocket in broad daylight and in the full glare of the public.

How did we allow things to get this bad?
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Arosa(m): 4:46pm On Jan 24, 2012
I don't know why you peeps are complaining, the law makers said the other day that they are going to remove the F in NPF. there you go, problem solved.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 4:48pm On Jan 24, 2012
Policemen in Nigeria turn their guns on helpless and defenceless citizens! So many people have been killed and so many lives lost to accidental or deliberate discharges.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 4:49pm On Jan 24, 2012
Arosa:

I don't know why you peeps are complaining, the law makers said the other day that they are going to remove the F in NPF. there you go, problem solved.

The approach of the lawmakers was too inane and simplistic. What the Police need is not a mere change of name but deep, sustained, and far-reaching reforms.
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Outstrip(f): 4:54pm On Jan 24, 2012
Is there a way to get a btter view of the information on the cards. The names. ID numbers etc
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 4:55pm On Jan 24, 2012
Why is the Nigeria Police sinking deeper and deeper into shame and ignominy?

Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 4:58pm On Jan 24, 2012
Outstrip:

Is there a way to get a btter view of the information on the cards. The names. ID numbers etc

The information is below:

Pukkah:

Metro learnt that the names on the police identity cards and expired driving licence respectively were; Mr. Junaidu Yahaya, a police corporal with force number, 366374 and one Chukwusa Anthony.

Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Pukkah: 5:01pm On Jan 24, 2012
Sometimes they even turn on themselves!

Who will save the Nigeria Police? They have become a menace both to themselves and to the public.

Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 24, 2012
^^^^^

These fools are supposed to maintain law and order?
Re: Shameful Conduct Of Nigeria Policemen by kizito96(m): 5:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
We know that they are all robbers

(1) (2) (Reply)

2 Hours Shut Down Of Airport For Patience Jonathan Caused The Crash - Breaking / Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan / 2023 Presidency: Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Atiku’s Eligibility To Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.