Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,417 members, 7,830,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard (1936 Views)

Peller: 'TB Joshua, Oyakhilome Use Charms To Perform Miracles' / One Big Reason You Must Praise God Today. Picture. / I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2012
Familiarity has dulled our amazement. We know about the water becoming wine, Christ striding on the waves, the blind soaking in new light, the wind obeying, and even Lazarus living again. Compared to the reaction of those who saw Jesus's miracles firsthand, our response is much more tepid. Some people back then followed, some snarled, some condemned, but none ignored.

To get at the reason why Jesus performed His miracles, we need to unearth the expectations of those who lived at that time. From our perspective, we know who Jesus claimed to be—the Messiah and God in sandals. But the people of ancient Israel had no New Testament to study. They had the Old Testament, the teachings of the respected rabbis, and hope.

Jesus strode into the midst of their hope—hope to be free of oppression from distant Rome—with a bold claim. The prophecies were fulfilled in Him. The Messiah had come to draw people to the Kingdom of God. While He had no sword that they could see, they could see Him healing their friends and relatives. They could see the power of God moving through the hills. They'd read about the great miracles of Moses and Joshua, Daniel and Elijah, but seeing them was another matter.

The miracles themselves were not ways for Jesus to show off His power, especially since He had given up His former glory to come to earth and do the will of the Father in heaven. Instead, the miracles vindicated His claims about Himself and His teaching. [/b]Although He didn't need to perform any miracles and refused to perform them on demand,[b] they came so that others might believe (John 10:37-38).

With all the healings and weather control, however, it's easy to forget the greatest miracle Jesus performed. Being dead and in the grave, Jesus took His life back and delivered a confirmation of His Kingship that no one could ignore.

Adapted from the lecture notes of Dr. Doug Bookman, professor of New Testament Exposition at Shepherds Theological Seminary (used by permission).
Re: Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 25, 2012
When Jesus lived on this earth, he made some astounding claims. As a twelve-year-old, Jesus reminded his parents that God was his Father. In his sermons he said things like, "I am the light of the world,  I am the way, the truth and the life,  I am the living bread that came down from heaven, " (John 8:12, 14:6, 6:51). Near the end of his life, Jesus answered the question "Are you the Son of God," saying, "Yes, it is as you say" (Matthew 26:64).

Jesus claimed to be divine. One would think that the divine would be able to do things on earth that mere humans could not. If Jesus really were divine, he should have been able to perform miracles.

Jesus did just that. He healed the sick, walked on water and even raised the dead. These miracles helped to support his claim that he was the true God come to earth to save mankind. Jesus said, "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves" (John 14:11).

Jesus' miracles did more than just support his divine claims. Jesus' miracles provided him an audience to hear his message. Some came to see Jesus drawn by the prospect of seeing or receiving a miracle. When they came, Jesus also took the opportunity to tell them about the good news of forgiveness.

However, Jesus' miracles were no mere marketing tool. Jesus genuinely cared about people and used his divine power to bring healing and happiness. [/b]The Bible tells us, [b]"When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick" (Matthew 14:14).

Finally, Jesus' miracles helped to build up the faith of those who believed in him. For example, one night Jesus slept in a boat while a deadly storm raged on the sea. Deathly afraid, Jesus' friends woke him up and pleaded with him to do something. In a miracle of divine proportions, Jesus raised his hands, rebuked the wind and the water, and the storm immediately calmed (Luke 8:22-25). Jesus' miracle of power over the storm helped bolster the weak faith of his friends.

http://www.whataboutjesus.com/jesus-christ/christ-among-us-series/why-did-jesus-do-miracles
Re: Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by LagosShia: 2:06pm On Jan 25, 2012
good "frosbel"!

this is what a christian should be doing.preach your beliefs.not attack what others believe.
Re: Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 25, 2012
My question is this :

Based on the intensity of the last days deception, :

1. What in your opinion do you think is the greatest MIRACLE

2. How many genuine miracles have you witnessed

3. Do you think these miracles are performed to glorify the name of a MOG or to glorify GOD

4. In your opinion do you think that our MOG have the same type of compassion and love that Jesus exhibited.
Re: Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 25, 2012
LagosShia:

good "frosbel"!

this is what a christian should be doing.preach your beliefs.not attack what others believe.

I was going to add, did Muhammad perform any miracle grin grin

Anyway just joking , have a nice day.

Meet you in the ISLAM section , later on grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 25, 2012
My question is this :

Based on the intensity of the last days deception, :

1. What in your opinion do you think is the greatest MIRACLE

2. How many genuine miracles have you witnessed

3. Do you think these miracles are performed to glorify the name of a MOG or to glorify GOD

4. In your opinion do you think that our MOG have the same type of compassion and love that Jesus exhibited.
Re: Why Did Jesus Perform Miracles? - Do Men of God today emulate this standard by LagosShia: 2:41pm On Jan 25, 2012
frosbel:

I was going to add, did Muhammad perform any miracle grin grin

Anyway just joking , have a nice day.

Meet you in the ISLAM section , later on grin

yes he did and still does up to this our very day.and i mean that seriously.you can come to the Islam section.i'm waiting for you.

(1) (Reply)

Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God / What Are You Thanking God For As This Year Comes To An End? / Myles Munroe, Wife And Daughter Killed In Airplane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.