Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? (41007 Views)

Why Is Chrysler Voyager , Dodge (1998 Model) So Cheap In The Market. / Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? / Are Nissan Cars Stronger Than Toyota Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by ayusman16(m): 4:45pm On Jan 27, 2012
We need more experts to contribute to this thread. Please undecided
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by dayokanu(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2012
baconline:

nissan is the cheaper version of infinity,it is targetted for d lower class

Just like Toyota is the cheaper version of Lexus , Its targeted for the lower class.

And Honda is the cheaper version of Acura, Its targetted for the lower class
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by classmark: 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2012
It all depends on what you want from the car. I see them both as great car brands, but Toyota sacrifices a lot of performance and sportiness (handling, performance features) for reliability. Nissan makes the opposite sacrifice. It is not that Nissan cars are not reliable but not as reliable as the Toyota counterparts.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 27, 2012
Some nissans such as the 1st generation murano and Xterra suv with the automatic transmission have had gearbox issues. i have personally seen an 04 infiniti Fx35 AWD (infiniti is nissan's up-market brand) with the aforementioned problem as well.
Some Nissan V6 engines (particularly the VQ series) have had issues as well.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Cypost: 5:35pm On Jan 27, 2012
I thing the diff in price may attributed to interior design.
While searching for car to buy and comparing xterr,a pilot, rav4, and toureg I discovered dt nissan xterra was least in interior design appeal for me
for instance I couldn't find an xterra 06/07 with leather seats while searching yahoo autos.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Bestglo(f): 5:42pm On Jan 27, 2012
xtremeidea:

[size=18pt]It simply because of the Toyota craze in Nigeria[/size]
You just hit the nail on the head
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by occam(m): 5:52pm On Jan 27, 2012
Pennywise:

The question ought to be- 'why are Toyota cars so unnecessarily expensive'

Spot on! Toyota is very overpriced even here in North America. And with the demand in Nigeria, then expect to spend more. Frankly, the big Japanese 3 - Toyota, Honda & Nissan are very reliable

Nissan makes very good products especially the SUV/off road segment. The rugged Xterra and Pathfinder are very solid with performance that rivals the Highlander and 4 Runner
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 27, 2012
@cypost : the rav4 is a Honda CR-V rival (both hv unibody construction and are car based) the nissan xtrail is also in this group . The touareg shares it's platform with the porsche cayenne and audi Q7 (these 3 are assembled in the same factory) and it's price tag is in the ML, X5 and Range Rover sport territory (most folks won't want to spend dat kind of money on smethng wit a vw badge). The Highlander and pilot are car based (both are in d same segment). The xterra uses a shortened pathfinder platform and has a body on frame construction (which is truck-based). Truck based SUVs are tougher and more durable than their car based counterparts but hv poorer fuel economy due to their weight). Toyota doesn't hv a truck-based rival to the xterra.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2012
So, it unfair to compare the equipment levels of an xterra wit a Touareg,
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by stede(m): 8:05pm On Jan 27, 2012
@ poster, Talking about gear box problem is more peculiar to NISSAN BUT ALL DEPENDS ON INDIVIDUL MAITAINANCE
. But nissan and toyota are almost the same price depending on the year of production of the car. Although TOYOTA ARE THE LEADING AUTO SELLERS IN AFRICA, AND MOST NIGERIAN USES TOYOTA ( CAMRY),
But for nigeria terrain I ll recommend NISSAN, For you, Coz they r more rugged for badh terrain thaN their counterparts lyk HONDA and TOYOTA, Eg the xtrail vs toyota picnic,
Also for luxury, Nissan ve luxury in terms of the interior nd xterior, Toyota interior is not always tight compared to the price,
Nissan shape come in diff archtectural designs and dust off their toyota conterparts except only for the 2007-present CAMRY (muscle),
ALTHOUH I'm AN HONDA FAVOURITE,
If u think nissan are cheap go for any INFINITI FX
N. PIXO - MATRIX
N.TEANA - AVENSIS
N. XTRIAL - PICNIC
N. MAXIMA - AVALON,
N. ROGUE - RAV4,
N. MURANO - HIGHLANDER,
N. ARMANDA - SEQUOIA,
N. PATHFINDER - 4RUNNER
N. TIIDA - YARIS,
N. GENEVIA -NOAH
N. TITAN/FRONTIER - HILUX
N. SENTRA - COROLLA,
N. URVAN/ UV 200 - HAICE
N. ALTIMA - CAMRY
N. PATROL - FJ CRUISER
N. QUEST - SIENNAN

Nissans seems more cheaper than TOYOTA RIVAL, SO AS TO HELP COMPETE WIV THEIR BOUYANT TOYOTA RIVALS
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by mikeokiro: 8:36pm On Jan 27, 2012
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 27, 2012
Hv U̶̲̥̅̊ seen the new nissan patrol ? Dat thng is bigger than d current landcruiser, (it is sold in the U.S as a 2nd generation QX56) The fj cruiser is actually a 4runner wit anoda shape (same v6 and gearbox and 4wd system). The Fj is more of a pathfinder rival.,
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 27, 2012
It must be due to local pricing scheme as they are almost equal in terms of technology. You can't go wrong with either. If you find a Nissan that some pretentious Numpty is selling cheap then go for it as long as everything checks out.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by muyoto: 9:37pm On Jan 27, 2012
The question ought to be- 'why are Toyota cars so unnecessarily expensive'

Dang! I thot I was the only one that noticed it. Can you imagine camry 2000 going for more than a mill? you no even fit near corolla. whereas you can get a good altima for about N750.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 27, 2012
Nissan is to auto industry what 3310 is for telecoms industry
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by DualCore1: 11:46pm On Jan 27, 2012
platinumricky:

@cypost : the rav4 is a Honda CR-V rival (both hv unibody construction and are car based) the nissan xtrail is also in this group . The touareg shares it's platform with the porsche cayenne and audi Q7 (these 3 are assembled in the same factory) and it's price tag is in the ML, X5 and Range Rover sport territory (most folks won't want to spend dat kind of money on smethng wit a vw badge). The Highlander and pilot are car based (both are in d same segment). The xterra uses a shortened pathfinder platform and has a body on frame construction (which is truck-based). Truck based SUVs are tougher and more durable than their car based counterparts but hv poorer fuel economy due to their weight). Toyota doesn't hv a truck-based rival to the xterra.

The way some of una take know motto. . . cool
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by kawkab: 12:07am On Jan 28, 2012
Forget about what mechanics would tell you. If Nissan Cars are not good taxi drivers would not be using Nissan Sunny Brancd for transport in most cities in Nigeria.

Toyota brand are costlier because of the craze for it in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by adasi678: 2:49am On Jan 28, 2012
i am based in the united state and i am a fan of toyota for years.Things determine the price and demands of cars.Maintenance,Fuel efficiency, availability and cost of parts.

For cost and availability of parts,Nissan(MURANO,MAXIMA,ALTIMA) and infiniti can assure of the high cost of parts,go to dealers here and get the parts and see for your self,Also,nissan tends to wear out after few years of usage compare to Toyota.I also have guys at ladipo that sell nissan parts and engine,you will bite your teeth seriously especially for 2003 and newer nissan products.

On Maintenance,Nissan came out to revisit their model by adding so much electro-mechanical device into their designs which makes an ordinary mechanic unable to fix.

On fuel efficiency,Nissan models are good but still cant be compared to toyota models with the same engine capacity.

This is just my contribution.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by gwuraiyke: 1:22pm On Jan 28, 2012
I THINK I WILL FINALLY SETTLE FOR NISSAN XTRAIL, SINCE I CAN'T SEE ANY REASON NOT TO,
THANKS GUYS

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by dayokanu(m): 3:27pm On Jan 28, 2012
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by pinnochio(m): 11:46am On Feb 11, 2012
This camry craze is very annoying. I put my used 1998 nissan altima for sale at 400K and yet ppl still dey price am to 350K.

Meanwhile, a used 1998 camry (thin light) still sells at 700k comfortably and a used 1998 avalon at like 550k.

To those screaming fuel consumption, V6 na V6 whether its placed in a toyota, honda or nissan. Anyway, my maxima is still available at 380K LAST. Interested parties shud call me on 08137772249.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by pinnochio(m): 12:00pm On Feb 11, 2012
This toyota obsession in nigeria is purely psychological.

Simply because from time immemorial toyotas were promoted as economy cars while nissans were touted as performance cars and were used in professional racing.

The truth is: All japanese cars in the same class of platform size and engine are fairly equal, if not then they wouldnt be competing brands. Thanks.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by ijigbamigb(m): 6:21am On Feb 12, 2012
PLEASE SOMEONE ADVICE ME, I AM ABOUT TO SELL MY TOYOTA COROLLA 2004 LE FOR 1.2 TO BUY A NISSAN MAXIMA 2004 SE, (Dagrin), FOR 1.6M

IS IT A NICE MOVE, AS I HAVE BEEN EYING THE CAR FOR A WHILE NOW, IT SIZE IS MY TASTE BUT AM SCARED SO NOT TO REGRET LATER
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by GameEvent(m): 12:11pm On Feb 14, 2012
Before i conclude, first research user reviews about d maxima and place of manufacture (North America is not it). Secondly, personally, i wont sell a toyota to buy a maxima even of the same year. Thirdly get more advice from experts,
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by KA24DETT(m): 2:09pm On Jun 22, 2012
adasi678: i am based in the united state and i am a fan of toyota for years.Things determine the price and demands of cars.Maintenance,Fuel efficiency, availability and cost of parts.

For cost and availability of parts,Nissan(MURANO,MAXIMA,ALTIMA) and infiniti can assure of the high cost of parts,go to dealers here and get the parts and see for your self,Also,nissan tends to wear out after few years of usage compare to Toyota.I also have guys at ladipo that sell nissan parts and engine,you will bite your teeth seriously especially for 2003 and newer nissan products.

On Maintenance,Nissan came out to revisit their model by adding so much electro-mechanical device into their designs which makes an ordinary mechanic unable to fix.

On fuel efficiency,Nissan models are good but still cant be compared to toyota models with the same engine capacity.

This is just my contribution.
Nissan gives you more power per displacement than a similar Toyota. U want power , u lose fuel economy . Nissan are for drivers and Toyota are for people
That want the car to do the driving .

LeoMax: Nissan is to auto industry what 3310 is for telecoms industry
Please have a seat . U don't know anything about nissans. U read to read more about nissan skyline or maxima .

Game@Event:
Before i conclude, first research user reviews about d maxima and place of manufacture (North America is not it). Secondly, personally, i wont sell a toyota to buy a maxima even of the same year. Thirdly get more advice from experts,
Now u comparing altima with Camry lol.. If u want to drive , I mean, if u LOVE driving, u would not compare Camry and Altima . Altima v6 Is faster and sportier than Camry v6 , accord V6. Different types of cars for different folks

platinumricky: Some nissans such as the 1st generation murano and Xterra suv with the automatic transmission have had gearbox issues. i have personally seen an 04 infiniti Fx35 AWD (infiniti is nissan's up-market brand) with the aforementioned problem as well.
Some Nissan V6 engines (particularly the VQ series) have had issues as well.
The VQ series engine won WARDS top 10 engine 12 years in a row. Nissan V6 is still a benchmark for V6. Toyota had the oil sludge issue. It was a big mess for them that resulted in a class action suit. Stop listening to hersays and do a little research

Nigerians are still living on past glory. Every car manufacturer has stepped up their game including ford and Hyundai. It is a different ball game now . The notion that Toyota is more reliable than ford or Kia is by gone. Here in NA, consumers are demanding more from their cars. The days of toyota selling 300, 000 Camry a year is long gone and they admitted that too. Thee is more competition and reliability is same across the board. Buy a car u love, cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed .
The above is not true for very old cars but the newer ones are SAME reliability wise to Toyota

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
ijigbamigb: PLEASE SOMEONE ADVICE ME, I AM ABOUT TO SELL MY TOYOTA COROLLA 2004 LE FOR 1.2 TO BUY A NISSAN MAXIMA 2004 SE, (Dagrin), FOR 1.6M

IS IT A NICE MOVE, AS I HAVE BEEN EYING THE CAR FOR A WHILE NOW, IT SIZE IS MY TASTE BUT AM SCARED SO NOT TO REGRET LATER

Get instead the 2004 SL 4speed transmission. The shape of the gear shift lever of the 4speed is zigzag while that of the 5speed is Z-like. The 4speed is less prone to transmission issues. A number have been advertised here on NL though most sellers would always give wrong model dates from 2005 above. But, in fact, the 4speeed production years are 2003 and 2004.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by gbonsalifus(m): 11:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
Nigerians have formed an opinion that is affecting the price of Toyota cars. Read this article http://101carsense..com/2012/12/why-nigerians-are-afraid-to-buy-some.html
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Mboi: 11:26am On Dec 14, 2012
muyoto: Nissan tends to have issues compared with toyota. my brother-in-law bought a dircect toks Nissan Sentra and its engine knocked just after a year

You say after one year? My brother I think it was your brother-in-law that didn't take care of that car.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Cheap? by Saintp(m): 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
Guys, I am planning to buy a 2003/2004 Altima. I like d ride alot but this Nissan negative publicity in this country is giving me concern. How can i buy another toyota whem my 99 camry interior makes me sad. Apart from 2008 camry and newer which i cant afford now, i dont just like toyota camry,corolla interiors, its not worth it for the price. How does the spare cost for 2004 Altima when comparing with 2004 Camry? Higher , lower or the same?What of reliabilty, durability? Just confused seriously. I just cant decide. Guys help.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prices Of Secondhand 'Tokunbo' Vehicles Soar Over Freight, Clearing Charges, FX / Moment A Confused Lady Tries To Fill Her Tesla With Petrol At A Filling Station / Change Your Name, Twitter User To Innoson (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.