Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? (31179 Views)

My Mother Inlaw Caught Me Kissing My Wife's Friend in our washroom. / DO YOU KNOW , You Are Useless! Says Father Inlaw To Son-inlaw / It Is Right For Your Mother Inlaw To Call Your Wife Every Sec. And At Late Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Ogojohn(m): 6:53am On Apr 01, 2016
Siena:
How long is too long? An overnight stay is as long as it gets, or a weekend. No more.

My wife and myself have never had inlaws stay over more than a weekend. I will NOT encourage my wife's or my relatives to park themselves upon us for longer than a weekend. We like our personal space.

This may not work for others, who may have inlaws as a permanent or long-term arrangement at their home. If it works for them, great. I know I could not tolerate inlaws living with us long term, my wife feels the same way too, so it all works well for all of us. We're happy, our kids are happy.

What more could we ask for?
Though it is your right to hold an opinion whether positive or negative. But i must tell you. These are some of our heritage as Africans. Your absence for a long time from the continent are really eroding your values as one of us and sometimes your comments and reactions really shows that you are really transfiguring to a westerner and most our values are no longer with you. You need not comment on every post hence some will begin to emulate your values as if it is the right thing. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Miami11: 7:02am On Apr 01, 2016
A weekend is too long, maybe a day.

I hate interfering in-laws, a few hours visit from such relative is accepted with no sleepovers.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 01, 2016
Ogojohn:
Though it is your right to hold an opinion whether positive or negative. But i must tell you. These are some of our heritage as Africans. Your absence for a long time from the continent are really eroding your values as one of us and sometimes your comments and reactions really shows that you are really transfiguring to a westerner and most our values are no longer with you. You need not comment on every post hence some will begin to emulate your values as if it is the right thing. Thanks.

Your comment makes no sense.

In one sentence, you say my opinion is my right, positive or negative, then you go on to state I shouldn't have commented. Make your mind up!

My absense from Nigeria has nothing to do with my opinion - I lived in Nigeria for 13 years, my parents were born and raised in Nigeria too. They too did NOT have inlaws to stay long term, and our household was a happy one. Stick to what works for you, and quit playing the "heritage" card! Otherwise it makes you come across as a hypocrite when you wear Western clothes, use a cellphone, or even drive a car.

My values are fine, myself, wife and children are happy. So please, mind your own goddamn business, and practice what works for you!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Ogojohn(m): 7:42pm On Apr 01, 2016
Siena:

Your comment makes no sense.

In one sentence, you say my opinion is my right, positive or negative, then you go on to state I shouldn't have commented. Make your mind up!

My absense from Nigeria has nothing to do with my opinion - I lived in Nigeria for 13 years, my parents were born and raised in Nigeria too. They too did NOT have inlaws to stay long term, and our household was a happy one. Stick to what works for you, and quit playing the "heritage" card! Otherwise it makes you come across as a hypocrite when you wear Western clothes, use a cellphone, or even drive a car.

My values are fine, myself, wife and children are happy. So please, mind your own goddamn business, and practice what works for you!
Hmmm, you lived in Nigeria for thirteen years? No wonder. What and what must you have known then? . I still maintain that your mentality and concept is too western to comment on this thread. Please stop confusing our younger families who might think that your choices and options are the best. Just as your neighbours and host has tried for year to convince us that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Miami11: 8:07pm On Apr 01, 2016
Ogojohn:
Hmmm, you lived in Nigeria for thirteen years? No wonder. What and what must you have known then? . I still maintain that your mentality and concept is too western to comment on this thread. Please stop confusing our younger families who might think that your choices and options are the best. Just as your neighbours and host has tried for year to convince us that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality.
But who are you to tell people how to run their homes based on your believes.
I think everyone is free to run their homes as they wish.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 01, 2016
Ogojohn:

Again, you're not making much sense here, even less than in your previous response. Listen to yourself man!

What has homosexuality got to do with having inlaws staying over?

If my concept is too Western, as long as it works for MY family, what has it got to do with you? My family is fine, my children are happy and well adjusted. My parents lived in Nigeria, and did NOT have inlaws staying over, our home then was a happy one. So?

I am NOT confusing any "younger families", I'm sure they have the common sense not to be influenced by what they read online, and will make the right choices for THEIR families.

Nairaland is an international forum, the thread starter did NOT state who can or can't contribute to this topic. You telling me my mentality and concept are too Western to comment makes you come across as an arrogant, egotistical and conceited individual. My choice, my family. Nothing to do with you at all.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 01, 2016
Miami11:

But who are you to tell people how to run their homes based on your believes.
I think everyone is free to run their homes as they wish.

Thank you. I would have thought freedom of choice was obvious.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Fkforyou(m): 8:05am On Apr 02, 2016
Lol....some people get issues I swear.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by DonBobes(m): 5:51am On Apr 03, 2016
sirp2007:
TOO LONG IS WHEN U FEEL IS TOO LONG,
as to hw to ask an inlaw to leave,very simple.
''in-law abeg time don reach wen u go waka,abeg ready make l go drop u for park.greet evry bodi for me when u reach house.call me whn u reach.

Abeg no kill me wit laff
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Winneygirl(f): 6:37am On Apr 03, 2016
It's ok to visit.
It's not ok to stay for excessively long periods.
A few days and you should leave.
It is not a thing of 'value' to prolong your stay and make your inlaws uncomfortable.
You should be uncomfortable staying too long....
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Ninilowo(m): 4:05pm On Apr 08, 2016
MULLAH123:

Must you abuse him before you pass ur point across. Truly kids full nairaland aswear. SMH
My brother.....it is well. I hardly respond to such cos any fellow can hide dehind his/her keypad and rattle. Thanks for ur comment anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Wife Left Me Because I Lost My Job. / I Want To Report My Mum To Human Rights For Child Abuse / Mourners At Man’s Burial In Enugu Confess To Killing Him With Juju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.