Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall (7124 Views)

Photo Of Bola Tinubu On The 'wall Of Fame' As An Outstanding Alumni In America / VIDEO: Lagos Transport Commissioner Embarrassed At Gani Memorial Event / FG Will Compensate Boko-Haram Victims – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by EkoIle1: 4:07am On Jan 28, 2012
Ten years after bombs exploded at the Ikeja Military Cantonment, Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria, the state government says it is going to compensate 70 families of victims of the blasts tomorrow.

It is not certain how much each of the families of the victims will get but the government said it is a token gesture to alleviate their plight.

On 27 January, 2002, hundreds of people fleeing from bomb blasts perished at the Oke-Afa canal.

The state government says it will mark the 10th anniversary of the bomb blasts in style by building a commemorative wall where the pictures of some of the victims would be engraved.

Commissioner for Special Duties, Dr. Wale Ahmed at a news conference on Wednesday said government would compensate some of the victims whose names have been compiled.

He said while some of the parents of the victims would be given monetary compensation, the children of the victims would be given scholarship.

The commissioner added that some of the divers who in rescued some of the victims mission during the blasts would be sent for training and would be given certificate to make them employable.

Ahmed stated that since the bomb blasts, the government had been rendering all forms of compensation to some of the victims’ families, saying that government would continue to support them.

The commissioner said Governor Babatunde Fashola would personally hand over the monetary compensation to the families of the bomb blasts victims, adding that the occasion would be grand.

He stated that at least 600 people perished during the bomb blasts, saying that the 10th anniversary would be one that people would live to remember.

“Whatever the government is doing is by way of showing help,” he said, adding that the reason why residents in the area prevented the commemoration of last year’s anniversary was that a bridge had not been constructed across the Oke-Afa canal.

He stated that the state government had already begun the construction of the link bridge between Ajao Estate and Ejigbo across the canal.

culled from www.pmnewsnigeria.com

Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Jan 28, 2012
fhe affected families were about 70. They were given 250,000 naira each.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by babaowo: 9:53am On Jan 29, 2012
This is very good 1 from lagos state goverment,
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 29, 2012
The ikeja cantonment belongs to the fg,so fg should be the one paying compensation to the victims and their families.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by kizito96(m): 11:17am On Jan 29, 2012
I think its a federal government responsibility however kudos to fashola for being humane
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by GreenJ(m): 11:35am On Jan 29, 2012
Hope d SG is not taking us 4 mumulism, compensation after 10 yrs. Were are d victims,
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Ninilowo(m): 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2012
Fashola is working. Where are his critics? Abeg show face
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by anishe(m): 12:51pm On Jan 29, 2012
An attempt to siphon money into private pockets, KAI, NIGERIANS SABI WURUWURU
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by werepeLeri: 1:03pm On Jan 29, 2012
Which of the victims? The officers or soldiers in the barracks or scores of those civilians who died in the canal while running away from the sound of the blasts?
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by EkoIle1: 1:12pm On Jan 29, 2012
/

Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by EkoIle1: 1:12pm On Jan 29, 2012

Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by eghost247(m): 1:13pm On Jan 29, 2012
Eko O Ni Baje O
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by EkoIle1: 1:14pm On Jan 29, 2012
We'll keep teaching the federal government and the rest of the country how to lead and take care of their responsibilities and their people.

Eko o ni baje lai lai

Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:18pm On Jan 29, 2012
must this yourba people always publicize everything angry angry angry angry
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by yokiti: 1:35pm On Jan 29, 2012
In 2002 (about 10 years ago) this promise was made by the then Administration of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu;
In 2012, the promise was reiterated by Barrister Babatunde Raji Fashola' led executives.
Hope we wont wait till another decade for this promise to be fulfilled?
May God bless Nigeria with God leaders and active followers!
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by whirlwind7(m): 1:36pm On Jan 29, 2012
Johnpaul2k2:

You are such an a##hole. Here is an event which occured in lagos 10 yrs ago, and affected every tribe residing there. Now, tell me what's wrong if it was brought to your retarded awareness that relatives of victims would be given a token by the govt? BTW, i am not Yoruba.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by lilkech(m): 1:42pm On Jan 29, 2012
OVER A THOUSAND PEOPLE DEAD

10 YEARS LATER

JUST SEVENTY FAMILIES TO BE COMPENSATED

am i reading this topic right ? If yes then

4LK BRF and his BRT
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
Eko Ile:

We'll keep teaching the federal government and the rest of the country [s][/s]how to lead and take care of their responsibilities and their people.

Eko o ni baje lai lai
statements like the one I just striked-through are the type of statements that make people have a problem with your type.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:52pm On Jan 29, 2012
Johnpaul2k2:

must this yourba people always[b] publicize everything [/b]angry angry angry angry
whirlwind7:

You are such an a##hole. Here is an event which occured in lagos 10 yrs ago, and affected every tribe residing there. Now, tell me what's wrong if it was brought to your slow awareness that relatives of victims would be given a token by the govt? BTW, i am not Yoruba.
i advise you stop taking garri .it do you no good to your eyes grin grin grin
i said Publicize not Against
well , no need wasting my energy on you cool
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by bigsean(m): 2:56pm On Jan 29, 2012
Pls lets not turn this into a tribal or racist rant.
Compensating the families is a great idea or achievement ( if it has been done), but i'm sure it was more than 70 families that lost a member that day, and this event coming after 10 years is just too inefficient in a democratic environment. Just imagine if the family member who died was the bread winner, how do u "compensate" that after 10 years
Also, we dont know for sure how much they are being compensated "monetary value"
So even though its a good gesture, its too slow and inadequate information on the compensation.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:18pm On Jan 29, 2012
big_sean:

Pls lets not turn this into a tribal or racist rant.
Compensating the families is a great idea or achievement ( if it has been done), but i'm sure it was more than 70 families that lost a member that day, and this event coming after 10 years is just too inefficient in a democratic environment. Just imagine if the family member who died was the bread winner, how do u "compensate" that after 10 years
Also, we dont know for sure how much they are being compensated "monetary value"
So even though its a good gesture, its too slow and inadequate information on the compensation.
that is good by me , but of jobs
money is nothing without source acquiring more angry angry angry angry
Scholarship is also cool cool cool cool
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by ziga: 4:24pm On Jan 29, 2012
Johnpaul2k2:

And please tell me what "these Yoruba people" have done wrong by publicizing a "public park" which is an attempt to immortalize the innocent souls that died during that sad sad event angry angry angry

Your post makes you seem really petty.

We shouldn't criticize just for the heck of it.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by EkoIle1: 7:19pm On Jan 29, 2012
chima12:

statements like the one I just striked-through are the type of statements that make people have a problem with your type.

And dou think i give a fcukkkk about scum bags like you? If everything you read on the internet turns your world upside down, log off or take your issue go meet babalawo.

When you losers neglected your own heroes, the same Fashola selflessly did what your leaders promised to do and refused to do till this very second.

Fashola not only honored him with a memorial park and garden in Lagos state, he gave the family financial gift for his service to our country.

It would be trivial to suggest that Okwaraji is suffering this neglect because of his roots. It is not true. What did his State government do? In 1998, an official of the Imo State Government attended the ninth Okwaraji memorial lecture and promised the Imo State Government had great plans to honour him. One of the plans was the naming of the National Sports Festival that held in Owerri that year after him. Okwaraji was never mentioned made at that festival.

Former Governor Achike Udenwa is from the same locality in Orlu with Okwaraji. He was Governor of Imo State for eight years. He did nothing for the memory of Okwaraji.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200908070307.html

Known as a Rededicated Memorial Garden, this special space in memory of the late footballer of Eastern Nigeria origin was said to represent the commitment of the Fashola administration to respecting the selfless deeds of Nigerians, especially Lagosians.

Speaking in the front area of the National Stadium in Surulere, Governor Fashola said that the reconstruction of the garden where a concrete bust of the late soccer star is located was part of activities designed to mark the 20th anniversary of his death. Mr Fashola was of the view that Sam Okwaraji died while rendering selfless service to Nigeria and that the late star deserves all the post-humous respect due to him. He described late Sam Okwaraji as a youngman who led his peers by example, saying that he was a shinning role model and a truly talented sportsman that was of good quality education. 'Literally, Sam was ready to die for his country and I believe he demonstrated that before he died and by the circumstances leading to his death', said the Lagos State helmsman.

Present at the unveiling event along with top Lagos State Governmemt officials were some ex-national football team players such as Austin Eguavoen and Alloy Agu. Both men praised the effort of Governor Fashola at ensuring that the memory of Sam Okwaraji is revived in the public space, emphasizing that the gesture will serve to ginger people contribute selflessly to any legitimate course that they chose to embrace in the country. The event was brought to close with a novelty match that was watched by a spectrum of prominent Lagos citizens suchy as the Asoju Oba of Lagos, Chief Molade Okoya Thomas; the Lagos State Commissioner for Youth, Sports and Social Development, Prince Ademola Adeniji Adele; and the Special Adviser to the Governor on the Environment, Mr. Sesan Olanrewaju.

http://lagosindicatoronline.com/Fashola_Unveils_Sam_Okwaraji.html

Yes, I'll say it again, Fashola is teaching the rest of the country including the Yoruba states how to take care of their responsibilities and their dead and heroes.
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Johnpaul2k2(m): 7:55pm On Jan 29, 2012
ziga:

And please tell me what "these Yoruba people" have done wrong by publicizing a "public park" which is an attempt to immortalize the innocent souls that died during that sad sad event angry angry angry

Your post makes you seem really petty.

We shouldn't criticize just for the heck of it.

maybe he should go ahead Publicize every new 'Mortuary park' in lagos grin grin grin
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by aljharem(m): 7:59pm On Jan 29, 2012
Johnpaul2k2:

maybe he should go ahead Publicize every new 'Mortuary park' in lagos grin grin grin

c'mon this is a good gesture. Let me remind you that it is not only yorubas that died but everyone ethnic group had a lot one. wink

Kudos to fash grin
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by Johnpaul2k2(m): 8:10pm On Jan 29, 2012
alj harem:

c'mon this is a good gesture. Let me remind you that it is not only yorubas that died but everyone ethnic group had a lot one. wink

Kudos to fash grin
Oga. i am not against it
this is what we expect from every governor wink
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by xqy: 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2012
Haba! Tribalism don block some people sense of reasoning shaaaaa! Abeg kudos to fash joor!
Re: Bomb Blast Anivasary. Lagos State To Compensate Victims And Build Memorial Wall by emiye(m): 10:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
The morning of January 28, 2002 , was a day i cant forget. I saw hundreds of dead bodies laid on the floor, a particular one hung permanently in my memory was that of a dead mother and her dead baby strapped to her back.

Good move by the State Government, the federal govt as usual failed to deliver on their promise, i remember Atiku came to the mass grave site with LOADS of promises.

(1) (Reply)

Agbara's Mega Ceramic Factory To Start Operating From Dec 10 / Is This Buhari Katsina Or Am I Dreaming? Graphic Pictures / Ugwuanyi: We Have Appropriated ₦3.4 Billion For SME Industries In 17 LGAs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.