Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,538 members, 7,823,351 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

What Is A Server? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is A Server? (922 Views)

Need A Server Administrator? / Best U.s.a Server For Indiawebproxyv2&1 (v3 Sucks) / Is Managing A 25 User License Antivirus On 50 Systems From A Server Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is A Server? by Abbott(m): 7:15pm On Jan 29, 2012
I have been reading different stuffs on what a server means but i want a simple definition and the answers to the following questions.
I have always thought of a server as the CPU where other computers(monitors only) are connected to it and all the softwares and applications the user of these monitors use are installed on the processor server. (am i right?)
Must a server always be online?
Must other monitors connected to this processor server have their own processors or they all use this giant powerful processor?
This is what i always think of when i think of a server, please educate me.
Thank you.
Re: What Is A Server? by Buddy1960: 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2012
There's no way you can talk about a server without mentioning a network. A network is a connection of computers communicating together. The role of a computer on a network determines whether it is a server or not. Thus, a server is any computer that has an important role it is performing to other computers on the network. For instance, a computer that assigns I.P addresses to other computers on a network is a DHCP Server, a computer that manage files on a network is a file server, a computer that has and manages the printer in which other computers on the network depend on is a print server, etc. Separate computers on the network can perform different server roles. It is however possible for a single computer to combine the roles. Whichever case depends on the choice of the network administrator. I hope i have satisfied you.
Re: What Is A Server? by Abbott(m): 8:58pm On Jan 29, 2012
@buddy1960
Thank you. But i assume that network means the chain of connected computer. Does the network be connected to the internet?
What do you call this and is this following scenario possible. 4 display monitors in different rooms in a house connected to one processor but not connected to the internet. All the program this monitors display are installed on the one, central processors, so user in room 1 can open MS word, user in room 3 can open Autocad and on and on like that.
N.B: these monitors does not have their own processors. 4 monitors and 1 processors(CPU) not connected to the internet.
Is this possible and what is it called? Can one rightly call the processor a server? Thank you buddy1960.
Re: What Is A Server? by Abbott(m): 9:02pm On Jan 29, 2012
@buddy1960
Thank you. But i assume that network means a chain of connected computer. Does the network implies it is connected to the internet?
What do you call this and is the scenario below possible. 4 display monitors in different rooms in a house connected to one processor but not connected to the internet. All the program these monitors display are installed on the one, central processors, so user in room 1 can open MS word, user in room 3 can open Autocad and on and on like that.
N.B: these monitors does not have their own processors. 4 monitors and 1 processors(CPU) not connected to the internet.
Is this possible and what is this type of structure  called? Can one rightly call the processor a server? Thank you buddy1960.
Re: What Is A Server? by lifestyle1(m): 9:35pm On Jan 29, 2012
This is a server to me. grin

http://haymostech.com/TEST/SUNDAYFLEX.phtml

life_style32@yahoo.com
Re: What Is A Server? by Buddy1960: 12:33am On Jan 30, 2012
Network doesn't mean internet must to be involved. Network consist of at least two computers communicating together. Meanwhile, the fact that at least two computers are physically connected by either network cable or wireless doesn't mean they are automatically on thesame network. What really makes them to be on thesame network is the I.P. address configuration. If the connected computers have same network address, it means they are on a network. So it is possible for six computers to be physically connected and yet, more than a network exist in the connection. If the network involves internet, it is called an unlimited network. If no internet is involved, it is called a limited network or local area network.
For your other question, that kind of server is called a Terminal Server. When other computers on the network remotely connect to it, the server desktop will be displayed on the clients screen, thus clients will be able to run different applications installed on the terminal server.
Re: What Is A Server? by Abbott(m): 4:42pm On Jan 30, 2012
^^^^^ Thanx Buddie.

(1) (Reply)

Computer Instructor Trainer Wanted At FUTO Owerri Environs / I Need A Good Laptop (umuahia) / I Need A Fairly Used Laptop In Ph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.