Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 (33469 Views)

FORMULA ONE F1 Official SeasonThread - Revamped / FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season / F1 Zone: Formula One Racing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 8:34am On May 15, 2012
One thing is almost certain for Williams after this; they will not be getting a pole position again in the near future. This is sure to set them back by several weeks.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 7:09pm On May 18, 2012
hercules07: Thank God for the Ferrari car, hopefully massa will find some pace somewhere.

Massa ended up being lapped by Alonso! grin
Its like he's driving a fridge.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 5:34am On May 25, 2012
Lol! Someone forced Andrew Benson, the racist to do a positive profile on Lewis as one of F1's greatest ever!
Poor thing! The racist in him must cringed like he caught the mange! grin

PS: for those who don't know, the guy in the pic below is not Andrew Benson, but Murray Walker (greatest F1 commentator, now retired).

[size=14pt]BBC: Formula 1's greatest drivers. Number 15: Lewis Hamilton[/size]
By Andrew Benson

When Lewis Hamilton burst onto the Formula 1 scene in 2007, taking on and often beating the reigning world champion Fernando Alonso in equal cars, in Italy they gave him the nickname 'Il Phenomeno' - the Phenomenon.

As a description of his naked talent, that remains as accurate as ever. But an altogether more complex picture of this fascinating, thrillingly brilliant racing driver has emerged since.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusWinning in the wet - Monaco GP 2008

In terms of raw ability, very few in the history of F1 can compare with Hamilton. He can do with a racing car things of which most can only dream. As his current team-mate at McLaren Jenson Button put it: "Lewis is one of the fastest drivers ever to race in F1."

Coupled with that breathtaking pace is an ability to overtake that is just as rare, just as dazzling.

Both were on display from the very start of his F1 career, when he passed Alonso around the outside of the first corner in Australia in 2007 and proceeded to lead the Spaniard for much of the grand prix, before being passed during a pit-stop period.

What Hamilton achieved in that debut year still beggars belief; he finished on the podium for his first nine races, winning two of them, and led the championship for much of the season.

In doing so, Alonso was destabilised to the point that his relationship with McLaren completely imploded - and the pressure created by two such towering talents in one organisation almost brought the team to its knees, too.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusHamilton loses title - Chinese GP 2007

The intensity of the battle led also to the world title slipping through Hamilton's fingers - and with it the chance to win the championship in his rookie year, a record that would almost certainly have stood for ever.

He - and Alonso, for that matter - ended up missing out by a single point. It was nevertheless clear that a unique talent had arrived.

Even the very best drivers have weaknesses, though, and Hamilton is no exception.

In Hamilton's case, his natural talent is so great that he can drive almost any car; perhaps this is partly behind what appears to be less of an aptitude for the engineering side of his job than some of his team-mates have had.

There were in 2007, for example, times when he failed to get the set-up of his car right and Alonso's greater ability in that area enabled him to leave Hamilton trailing. Likewise, McLaren have tended to lean more on Button in recent years for an engineering direction than on his team-mate.

There have also been noticeable occasions when Hamilton's results were compromised by an apparent need sometimes to lean on the team for decisions a driver of his greatness should have been able to make himself.

The most striking of these - although there have been others - was in the penultimate race of 2007 in China. Hamilton needed only to finish third to clinch the title, but McLaren allowed themselves to be distracted by the unnecessary task of getting him to finish ahead of Alonso.

They left him out too long on over-worn tyres, Hamilton did not overrule them, and he ended up sliding off into retirement on his way into the pits. It was an error that put Kimi Raikkonen in a position to snatch the title for Ferrari at the final race.

Hamilton did win the championship the following year, but only by the skin of his teeth after making far too many mistakes in a battle with Ferrari's Felipe Massa.

He followed that with two outstanding seasons in which his driving was of the highest calibre, but his machinery did not match it.

In 2009, which McLaren started with their worst car for 14 years, he stuck with it and took two brilliant victories as his machinery improved in the second half of the season.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusTaking the title - Brazilian GP 2008

The following year he was even better, in serious contention for the championship in what was generally the third fastest car until errors in two consecutive races in Italy and Singapore took him out of the running.

But then came 2011, when the combination of starting another year without a car capable of battling for the title coupled with ructions in his personal life brought him close to meltdown.

There were three victories - the ones in China and Germany particularly outstanding - but also far too many basic mistakes.

Hamilton ended the year talking about it being his "worst season" and admitting a need to reset his approach over the winter and try to get back to being in "a good place" mentally.

As those remarks attest, Hamilton tended through the first five years of his career to wear his heart on his sleeve.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusClassic F1 - Canadian Grand Prix 2007

Just as his daring and combative approach on the track lost him races as well as won them, his willingness to say what was on his mind attracted admiration and trouble in equal measure.

In 2012, he has so far taken a more measured approach - both on the track and with the media.

After finishing third in Malaysia following a comparatively subdued drive in mixed conditions one might have thought were made for him, Hamilton made a remark that was very revealing of his new attitude.

"I can't for the life of me understand how I did it in 2007," he said, explaining his ambition to finish on the podium in every race this year, "so I'm trying to repeat that."

The difference is that in 2012 he is trying to recreate with deliberation something that came naturally in 2007.

It remains to be seen whether that conscious conservatism can be married successfully with the unique off-the-cuff improvisational approach that makes him so exciting and, at his best, so effective.

As he told this writer this year: "I never plan to have those kinds of races, they just evolve unexpectedly."

When they do, when he is at his best, it unlocks something truly exceptional - Hamilton has produced drives that stand comparison with any in the history of the sport.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusClassic F1 - British Grand Prix 2008

His wet-weather wins in Fuji 2007, Silverstone 2008 and Spa 2010 were as good as any by Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher; his swashbuckling victories in Canada 2010 and China and the Nurburgring last year are comparable with those of other great fighters such as Gilles Villeneuve or Nigel Mansell.

Asked in Canada last year whether he compared himself to Schumacher, he responded by saying he hoped by the end of his career he would be likened more to Senna and Villeneuve.

In many ways, the comparison is already valid. Hamilton's natural ability is so huge that, if he can find a way to channel it to best effect, there are virtually no limits to what he can achieve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18096591?print=true
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Chib4u: 8:06am On May 25, 2012
@Beaf u are so right about Andrew aka Alonso and Button do no wrong. For me I think the whole bbc crew apart from Jordan are biased towwards Lewis expecially Coultyard..I am patiently waiting for where they will put Button because if Lewis is 15 then Button shouldn't be on the list
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 9:15pm On May 25, 2012
Chib4u: @Beaf u are so right about Andrew aka Alonso and Button do no wrong. For me I think the whole bbc crew apart from Jordan are biased towwards Lewis expecially Coultyard..I am patiently waiting for where they will put Button because if Lewis is 15 then Button shouldn't be on the list

You need to have known that fucker called Andrew Benson when BBC ran an F1 forum website. Even though Lewis was flying the British flag, Andrew Benson would keep rooting for Alonso.
Racism was frowned at on the BBC 606 forums, Andrew Benson as a mod would allow racist comments against Lewis to stand. He would neither ban the poster nor delete their post or thread.

Jenson Button is not even nearly a great driver. The only 3 current guns that should squeak in, are for number of records and WDC's, Alonso, Vettel and Schumi.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 1:06pm On May 26, 2012
Is it strange that that dunce called Maldonado has maliciously crashed into yet another driver? Last season when he did the same to Lewis, the stewards found the most ridiculous reasons to give him a tap on the wrist as well as reprimand Lewis?!
Today Maldonado has again deliberately crashed into another driver; if there wasn't a Lewis hunting season last year (read racism), Maldonado would have recieved such a stiff punishment that he wouldn't have repeated the id!otic behaviour.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 1:12pm On May 26, 2012
Well, what do you know? Perez has just crashed out in Q1. I am ready to bet my beans and garri that it was due to damage received from Maldonado crashing into him.
That id!ot, Maldonado should have been given at least a 5 race ban last year for using his car as a weapon in his deliberate crash with Lewis, but the stewards were all too engrossed in getting Lewis. angry angry angry
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 2:08pm On May 26, 2012
[size=14pt]Schumi gets pole!!!!![/size]
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by montelik(m): 2:11pm On May 26, 2012
Well done to the old master.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by chic2pimp(m): 2:12pm On May 26, 2012
There is life in the Old Dog.........The Ever Green Schumi gets Pole Position

However he Incurred some infringement so has been demoted 5 places. So Webber in theory starts at Pole Position
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 2:31pm On May 26, 2012
Monaco is a track where machinery matters much less than driver skill. Driver aids are of little use when the walls are so close and the street so bumpy.
It is the one track that thrusts the best drivers to the top. So, how did the teams fare?

Team mate blues...
Vettel didn't do even a single run in Q3 (starting 9th due to Maldonado, demotion to 19th), while Webber is starting on pole.
Massa looked to be better than Alonso, but as always, the better driver comes tops in Monaco. Massa 8th, Alonso 6th.
At Mercedes, it was Shumi who won the toss up with Rosberg.
As usual, Lewid did Button. Lewis 3rd, Button 13th.
It was Grosjean 5th, Kimi 9th.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by mikkyphp(m): 4:25pm On May 26, 2012
Schumi on pole but gets a 5place grid penalty!
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by montelik(m): 12:57pm On May 27, 2012
Webber please start well today. I can''t remember any recent races you haven't lost place/s by turn 1.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by montelik(m): 1:07pm On May 27, 2012
Its a miracle. Webber holds P1 from the start and we already have an accident.

I could enjoy today race more than I usually do for Monaco.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by aieromon(m): 1:09pm On May 27, 2012
I dont think Webber will finish first.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by taurus21: 2:25pm On May 27, 2012
C'mon Hamilton you can do dis....step on it
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by aieromon(m): 2:27pm On May 27, 2012
taurus21: C'mon Hamilton you can do dis....steo on it

With Vettel in front of him,hmm.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by montelik(m): 2:33pm On May 27, 2012
Rain, rain.
Go away, come again another day.
Red Bull going to win today
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by taurus21: 2:42pm On May 27, 2012
aieromon:
Yeah it looks like its all over the monaco track doesn't give much space for easy overtake just too narrow Shumercher is out! Dats a shame after he's superb run in d qualifiers
With Vettel in front of him,hmm.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 2:53pm On May 27, 2012
Webber takes it. Red bull had a very great race, they really did well on strategy with Vettel.
My driver of the was Heiki! Damn! That dude almost needed cellotape to hold his car together toward the end! grin
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by taurus21: 3:09pm On May 27, 2012
Congratulations to Mark Webber and the Red Bull racing team. Held on till the very end no mistakes whatsoever. very entertaining race and a new record of 6 different winners in 6 races. Awesome stuff can't predict who is gonna win this season
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 3:17pm On May 27, 2012
Jensen Button was so hopeless today. It was shocking!
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 27, 2012
^^^ as i was watching his race, i just remember the interview he gave after Australia where he dismissed Ferrari as not competitive, and "claiming" that Mc Laren was the top team to beat......and now he is way down the standing while Ferrari is on top. BWAAAAAAAH! i am sure he will shut his mouth from now on.

great race from Webber, sad race for Raikkonen 9th, even sadder for Grosjean DNF, what a drive From Massa i guess he starting to get his act together, again problem with the pit stop for Ham, and of course fantastic start and finish from Alonso who is now on top of the championship. as for Vergne being in the point and then changing to intermediate (while the track was still fairly dry), whoever made that call should be FIRED.

as for the protest against RBR, Baba Ijebu told me that FIA is going to penalize them............VAMOS!!!!!
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by FBS: 9:12am On May 30, 2012
6 different winners in 6 races. F1 is BACK! haha! cheesy
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by omar22(m): 9:59am On May 30, 2012
BBC analyst and former F1 designer Gary Anderson has claimed that Mark Webber could have done more to help Sebastian Vettel secure a podium finish in the Monaco Grand Prix.

While Webber started from pole position and went on to secure his first win of the year, Vettel started down in ninth place having failed to set a time in Q3 and then elected to take a different strategy to the cars ahead as he went with the harder of the two compound of tyres for his first stint.

Would Vettel help Webber?
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 8:43am On May 31, 2012
^
Lol! What would he have had Webber do? The pack tightened right up when they were playing first to blink in the rain toward the end. Vettel didn't need any help. Any help from Webber would most certainly have secured his loss.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by omar22(m): 11:11am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: ^
Lol! What would he have had Webber do? The pack tightened right up when they were playing first to blink in the rain toward the end. Vettel didn't need any help. Any help from Webber would most certainly have secured his loss.

Vettel needed a 20 sec gap, and Vettel had a 16 sec gap on webber, before Webber turned on the tap and started closing Vettel down, Anderson was saying that Webber could have backed up the pack and let Vettel open up a 20 sec gap, may thats why Vettel was bitter and decided not to show up at the swimming pool to celebrate Marks win.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 6:25am On Jun 01, 2012
omar22:

Vettel needed a 20 sec gap, and Vettel had a 16 sec gap on webber, before Webber turned on the tap and started closing Vettel down, Anderson was saying that Webber could have backed up the pack and let Vettel open up a 20 sec gap, may thats why Vettel was bitter and decided not to show up at the swimming pool to celebrate Marks win.

Well, Vettel would have done much worse than Webber. Not celebrating Webbers victory just shows a shameful lack of grace.
He should be happy he was allowed to keep 6th place after cutting the chicane to go from 9th to 6th at the start.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 1:57am On Jun 05, 2012
Reb Bulls floor has been declared illegal and must be changed before Canada.
I don't see why they should have escaped without a points deduction or outright disqualification from the last 3 races. Afterall, it amounts to blatantly flouting the ban on blown diffusers.
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Chib4u: 3:34am On Jun 05, 2012
Beaf: Reb Bulls floor has been declared illegal and must be changed before Canada.
I don't see why they should have escaped without a points deduction or outright disqualification from the last 3 races. Afterall, it amounts to blatantly flouting the ban on blown diffusers.

If that was mclaren it would have come with some heavy fine and points deducted both drivers and constructors...SMH
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by FBS: 10:36am On Jun 08, 2012
Chib4u:

If that was mclaren it would have come with some heavy fine and points deducted both drivers and constructors...SMH
You can say that again...
Re: Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 by Beaf: 7:52pm On Jun 08, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply)

Blessing Okagbare Banned For 10 Years Over Doping - AIU / Super Eagles Qualify For AFCON 2022 / Nigeria Vs Cote D'ivoire AYC 2015 (2 - 2) On 14th March, 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.