Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,554 members, 7,816,344 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 (121335 Views)

Buhari, Nigeria's President-Elect's Convoy (Photo) / Jonathan Lied: Arms Export To Nigeria From 1983-1985 Facts And Figures / Graduate Employment Data 1983 - 1985 Under Buhari (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 4:48am On Feb 09, 2012
[size=15pt]All this positive patriotic action from Buhari after just his first 3 weeks in power!!

This show difference between a government serious about tackling corruption and those , that just try to deceive us (like all PDP governments have decieved us).[/size]

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by mensdept: 6:06am On Feb 09, 2012
Gen Buhari,

You are not right and wrong with this post. Wrong in the sense that a 1983 dream would steer Naija in the right direction in 2012, and the fact that Buhari was and will always be a coup plotter, who's various appointments and service was a result of illegal regimes that got us to the current mess we have till date.

Where I can give you some slack is the sense that the Buhari (illegal) regime was not as wasteful as the OBJ-Yar Adua-GEJ click, along with poor governors, dumm lazy legislators, and coward parties called ACN, APGA, and ANPP.

One person rightfully said that Buhari had less than 20 ministers, 20 states, and less "big government", and apparantly, did better than the thieves of today.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Jakumo(m): 6:38am On Feb 09, 2012
Ha ha ha ha This muffuguh sho'nuff is wacky as wacky can be.

Go 'head on, muffuguh, and suck Buhari's worm, you horrid little insect ha ha ha
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 3:25pm On Feb 09, 2012
^
Jakumo,
Is that all you got to say?

It seems you hatred of Buhari is starting to soften already  grin

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 10, 2012
Dear NLers,
abeg, help me persuade the moderators to put this thread on the front page. smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 10, 2012
smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by werepeLeri: 7:42am On Feb 10, 2012
What's the aim of this topic? Campaigning towards 2015 already? or have they ordered another election?

Sometimes I wonder if the OP even witnessed the period Buhari ruled Nigeria.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 10, 2012
^ News story are telling the story about what happen during Buhari's rule.

Don't even try to re-write history with lies unless you can back them up with your own news stories.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by werepeLeri: 7:48am On Feb 10, 2012
^^^^

In case you didnt read what I said properly, read it here again:

"What's the aim of this topic? Campaigning towards 2015 already? or have they ordered another election?

Sometimes I wonder if the OP even witnessed the period Buhari ruled Nigeria."

Which lies have I told, and how have I tried to re write history. Sometimes I wonder - really.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by bolayod(m): 9:59am On Feb 10, 2012
[[b]b]
BlackPikiN

Re: The Buhari era - Profile Of Nigeria's Leaders
« #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:50 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ayotolla Buhari should perish in the hottest part of hell fire!
Buhari watched and looked the other way when helpless Youth corpers serving their father land were killed by his supporters in the North!
Thunder fire Buhari anywhere he dey now.

BlackPikiN, God punish you, it is your type thatarecausing problem in this country nigeria, after you call yourself good christian, fool
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 10, 2012
@GenBuhari na campaign you dey do so? Abeg 2015 still far ooh!! grin grin
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by anonimi: 10:41am On Feb 10, 2012
I cannot see any mention of Ayatollah Brouhari's 53 suitcase wahala during the change of Naira.

No mention of his crime against humanity by killing young Nigerians based on a retroactive law.

Nothing on the N2.8 billion missing while he was Petroleum commissioner under Muritala & OBJ's military dictatorship

So much for disciplined, incorruptible, hypocritical religious bigot who has no qualms killing southern military officers & men in cold blood during the July 1966 counter-coup.

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by honeric01(m): 10:46am On Feb 10, 2012
@Gen Buhari

Are you a soldier by calling? your unrelenting spirit is just too much, nice one bro. cool

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by expert555: 10:47am On Feb 10, 2012
Look who is talking the last time I advocated for the military to come back someone said I was crazy. This is the best of Nigeria we will ever see in our generation. I personally use to admire Buhari before I saw him playing politics of cencus and lately the murders of people by Hausa/fulani (Aka BK haram) and the slaughter of innocent youth corpers. I was brought up to trust Hausa/fulani more than any tribe in Nigeria becuase they were more honest and fairer. They could have done themselve more favour by not mudering other faith and neighbour at the drop of a hat. Sorry no offence
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 10, 2012
Everyone has their Flaws. . .Everything has it's Flaws.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:15am On Feb 10, 2012
GenBuhari or whatever you call your silly Self
when will you be tired of this your Desperate bigot of Ex Criminal
abi your money never expire grin grin grin
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by simps(m): 11:19am On Feb 10, 2012
It can be inferred that right from when Gen. Buhari came into power in that 1983 he has showed potential of Islamizing Nigeria. He is a jihadist and a religious bigot. To hell with him!!!
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by simps(m): 11:24am On Feb 10, 2012
Go back and take a close look @ his cabinet, about 7o% are his fellow islamic bigots.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by OBEHIOYE(m): 11:28am On Feb 10, 2012
As a Nigerian under-30 who grew up in Warri I have been quite close to the oil and gas industry in Nigeria and luckily so this has helped me understand some of the issues that come up in that industry.
I have also been very fortunate to have visit 3 major power stations as well as the “3” refineries in southern Nigeria while also ending up as an engineer so I can better understand and be part of this very lucrative industry.
It may not be a surprise but you should know that since after the late 70’s and early 80’s up until 2009 there has been no major infrastructural development in Nigeria. No new power plants have been built and successfully commissioned nor has the foundation been laid for any oil refinery.
My visit to the ones I mentioned above turned up very interesting results as regards their capacities and operational efficiencies but mind you the visits to the power plants was conducted between 2004 and 2006 while those to the refineries were earlier.
While the PH refinery was operating at between 60-70% installed capacity at the time of my visit, the Warri plant was virtually non functional at that time. I was told that the crude line to the Warri plant was damaged (Vandalized) and so they couldn’t receive crude to refine and so they using the opportunity to do a mini in-house Turn-Around Maintenance (TAM). Not long after that visit the FGN also used the same excuse and officially awarded contract for the TAM to Chrome Oil Resources owned by Anambra business-man, Sir Emeka Offor. That TAM was never concluded and the refinery staff had to complete it on their own.
My visit to the three power plants showed that two of them had were operating at less than 40% capacity!! We were given the same excuse that gas pipelines had been vandalized and so they couldn’t get gas to run their turbines but I noticed that the turbines were very old with about half of them packed-up.
The most interesting thing I noticed on these visits was the name and dates on the commissioning plagues of these plants: Lt. Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo was the name while the dates ranged from 1977 to 1979. I immediately fell in love with Obj and when he became president later I silently wished and prayed he would perform the same magic until he began to scheme for 3rd term and that I couldn’t stomach.
When Obj failed bw 1999 and 2007, I tried to understand and then I realized and got to know that the master-mind of all those developments during his military stint was Brig. Gen. Mohammadu Buhari who was the Minister of Power and Energy during that period. Buhari it was, being in-charge of that ministry, built all those plants Obj had commissioned and I had visited.
We are also all aware of the magic that same Buhari performed as head the PTF, which ran a parallel government in Nigeria by getting JUST 3% of every litre of petroleum product purchased in Nigeria. Projects started and completed by the PTF are too numerous to mention here.
Buhari has never been indicted by any probe or inquiry as haven stolen any money. We have seen how prudent and useful the ministries and agencies he ran were yet we refused to vote him because we have been fed with lies upon lies that he was a religious bigot, he would make Sharia national thing etc.
The cesspool of corruption called Nigeria needs a man in the calibre of Buhari to run her affairs and the funny thing is in our heart of heart we all knew this yet we were afraid to take the bull by the horn and deliver that long-awaited change to Nigeria. Instead you all voted a man, so scared of public debates that he arranged his own private debate. A man who as deputy-governor and governor had no achievement to his name except a corrupt wife!
Unfortunately, Buhari has also hurt his credibility by the statements he made just after the elections. I would definitely vote for him again but for me he just should have appealed to the people instead of saying “the people have only reacted to cheating that was perpertuated”.
It’s rather unfortunate what our country has turned into, really very unfortunate that sometimes I think she’s irredeemable.
I just hope that we would have the courage to see through their lies and smiling faces and do what is right by searching the deep recesses of our conscience and voting appropriately next time but for now let us live in peace with one another.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by CarlosVent(m): 11:35am On Feb 10, 2012
Never will a man who signed the killings of many that told him the truth. never will a man who is religiously bigoted and never will a man who doesn't hear advice or like suggestions in the Person of BUHARI rule Nigeria Again.

Pls Mods and Seun never allow this type of Topic to make front page again because they are disturbing me.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by badesco(m): 11:37am On Feb 10, 2012
I still cant derive anything concrete from this post. The only thing i can deduce here is that the poster@Genbuhari is Gen. Muhammed Buhari apologist, that is trying to justify all his actions. To me Buhari is not saint nor the solution to this country's problems. Buhari"s Government remains the worst till date.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by chmod777: 11:58am On Feb 10, 2012
[size=18pt]Worst democratic govt is better than best military rule/dictatorship.
Please a coupist has no justification what so ever for his actions. Was there no National assembly, civil society group, pressure groups to push for a stop in corruption. After the early coups, Nigeria got on track with Shagari, then started learning democratic ideals and norms,BUT Buhari chose to truncate it. No matter what, we could have got better if Buhari had not struck.

It seems some piple de reason from their anus
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by damas11111(m): 12:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
chmod777:

[size=18pt]Worst democratic govt is better than best military rule/dictatorship.
Please a coupist has no justification what so ever for his actions. Was there no National assembly, civil society group, pressure groups to push for a stop in corruption. After the early coups, Nigeria got on track with Shagari, then started learning democratic ideals and norms,BUT Buhari chose to truncate it. No matter what, we could have got better if Buhari had not struck.

It seems some piple de reason from their anus
[/size]
I think you are totally wrong. Had Buhari not intervened, Nigeria would surely have become a forgotten state. His intervention actually slowed down the rot. I really believe that the interventions of all the military rulers have actually helped Nigeria if one considers how all the civilian regimes have fared. They are always "very big governments", very corrupt, wasteful beyond imagination, and always directionless. Give me a Buhari regime and I will choose it ten times over and above the best civilian regime Nigeria has ever had. Only those who were too young when Buhari ruled or those blinded by religion bigotry or those suffering from lack of wisdom to differentiate between good and bad; will wish otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Reference(m): 12:38pm On Feb 10, 2012
Why use military antecedents to sell a civilian. This reason is fundamentallly flawed. As a civilian President he will never have those kinds of powers that enabled him do those things. This is one of my main grouses. Democracy I repeat is not about one man and his opinions alone. It is about consensus and the sucess of the nation is directly related to the sucess of the three arms of government not on the President or Presidency alone. The beauty of democracy is that no one man is given such powers as to endanger the state when he makes personal errors. That is why OBJ with all his powers could not get his third term. That is why Obama with all his powers cannot gain sufficient traction. Buhari with all his anti-corruption bravado cannot force Nigerians to be less corrupt if they choose to under a democracy. Sorry. That is the truth of democracy.

Looking through that write-up you will discover that some of Buhari's personal decisions as the C-in-C are flawed and will not stand in democracy. Take the ministerial list. Only six of the seventeen top men and ministers including himself and his deputy are from the south. In which democracy will that stand. I complain frequently about the size and cost of government but the bogus size is as a result of our peculiarities and divisions as enshrined and entrenched in our constitution. It is not the presidency or presidential system fault. It is our collective fault. If Buhari was sworn in today can he change the constitution. No. He will have to work with what we collectively agree upon or he will be impeached swiftly.

I remain unchanged in my view. This country can only be fundamentally changed by the people of this country and not any individual. Every other move will merely be placative whether against corruption, ethnic bigotry or others. When we get tired and fed up of fighting one another we will call into being the kind of system that will bring us into the 21st century. Forget hero worship. It doesn't work. Nigeria is too complex for one man alone to handle.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Baawaa(m): 12:44pm On Feb 10, 2012
I cannot see any mention of Ayatollah Brouhari's 53 suitcase wahala during the change of Naira.

No mention of his crime against humanity by killing young Nigerians based on a retroactive law.

Nothing on the N2.8 billion missing while he was Petroleum commissioner under Muritala & OBJ's military dictatorship Huh

So much for disciplined, incorruptible, hypocritical religious bigot who has no qualms killing southern military officers & men in cold blood during the July 1966 counter-coup.

You dont know what you are saying,as far as Buhari is concerned his less corrupt out of our leaders of today.Buhari is not a saint but he is better Tinubu,Obasanjo,Babangida etc

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Baawaa(m): 12:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
I think you are totally wrong. Had Buhari not intervened, Nigeria would surely have become a forgotten state. His intervention actually slowed than the rot. I really believe that the interventions of all the military rulers have actually helped Nigeria if one considers how all the civilian regimes have fared. They are always "very big governments", very corrupt, wasteful beyond imagination, and always directionless. Give me a Buhari regime and I will choose it ten times over and above the best civilian regime Nigeria has ever had. Only those who were too young when Buhari ruled or those blinded by religion bigotry or those suffering from lack of wisdom to differentiate between good and bad; will wish otherwise.

That is what is happening now, that is why US said Nigeria my break 2015!!
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by jaybee3(m): 12:48pm On Feb 10, 2012
Baawaa:

You dont know what you are saying,as far as Buhari is concerned his [b]less [/b]corrupt out of our leaders of today.Buhari is not a saint but he is better Tinubu,Obasanjo,Babangida etc
Wow wow wow
So it's acceptable to be corrupt   angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ chmod777

There is no best form of government. Democracy is not better than military governement and vice versa. It depends on the leadership. As a matter of fact when the idea of democracy came philosphers such as Plato and Aristotle were against it. Plato was quoted as saying " Tyranny naturally arises out of democracy"

Unfortunately we live in the age of the worst tryanny in the history of mankind. All in the name of democracy. I hope you can see through it but in 10 years time it would be clear to the whole wolrd that there is no democracy in the world.

the idea of democracy is the best I think man has come up with but we have not been able to make it work. It ends up serving the interest of the elites. US congress just suspended SOPA but have incooporated it in a new bill, the EU is run by technocrats, Public opinion in the US and UK showed that the people were against the Iraq war but Bush and Blair who claimed to be running the government of the people sent young Americans and british to die for what the people were against. And so is most democracies. If you care about history you would discover that more crimes have been committed in the name of democracy than military rule. To rephrase the words of Marie-Jeanne Philippo (Madame Roland) “O Liberty! What crimes are committed in thy name!” we can say “O Democracy! What crimes are committed in thy name!”

Having said these. I don't think name calling would bring any meaningful progress to Nigeria. if we must practise democracy we have to get the electoral process right. If there is proper reforms such that real  votes are the ones that count. I think our problems would be half solved. Whoever is voted by the people would be responsible but as it is today election is a business. We practise "jungle democracy" and so we get jungle welfare

2 Likes

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by morewat: 1:01pm On Feb 10, 2012
I like the poster of this thread. I am a Yoruba man and I believe in learning through evidence. Most of us were not in the mainstream of politics at the time of Buhari's regime. We based most of what we are saying about that General on hearsay. As @GenBuhari is throwing more light on the past of the regime with evidence, he should be encouraged whether he is an advocate of Buhari or not. As for those people that are saying military intervention is illegal, they are right. But probably they don't understand that military are the last hope for a nation when there is a state of anarchy. Is it not better for the military to take over syrian government from the civilian now to maintain peace and safe lives?

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Reference(m): 1:07pm On Feb 10, 2012
damas11111:

I think you are totally wrong. Had Buhari not intervened, Nigeria would surely have become a forgotten state. His intervention actually slowed than the rot. I really believe that the interventions of all the military rulers have actually helped Nigeria if one considers how all the civilian regimes have fared. They are always "very big governments", very corrupt, wasteful beyond imagination, and always directionless. Give me a Buhari regime and I will choose it ten times over and above the best civilian regime Nigeria has ever had. Only those who were too young when Buhari ruled or those blinded by religion bigotry or those suffering from lack of wisdom to differentiate between good and bad; will wish otherwise.

No, no, no. You are totally wrong on this one. There is no way constant instability can bring any progress. Nigeria is corrupt not because of the people or the government but the structure of the state. It is a fundamentally flawed system. If a government can come in with the gun it can be replaced with a bigger gun. The guns are not the problem but those who wield them. Buhari was replaced after less that two years by Nigerians not Chinese or Brazilians. Or is Babangida not a Nigerian. Was he not military. Just how good was he. The people spoke. They did not want hard rule. They wanted paddy paddy. That is Nigeria for you. Military will change military. Nothing will be achieved and Nigerians will continue to deceive themselves. The real questions that make for the creation of a virile state will never be asked as it is now under a democracy. Or is it Buhari you will have asked for a sovereign national conference.

The way this thing will work is this. We, Nigerians will bludgeon ourselves to death with ethnicity, corruption and religious bigotry until we get tired. When we get tired of these things we will sort ourselves out. Any attempt to seperate this fight is an exercise in futility. Even if Buhari comes and by some miracle reduces corruption to zero. Will he rule for ever. When he leaves won't we come back to eat from our potty. Didn't we return to the dump when he was kicked out of government. My guy some people were rejoicing then. Not everyone sees this thing the way you do. Unfortunately you have to live with them.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by prettyboi1(m): 1:21pm On Feb 10, 2012
Without any forms of sentiments,the truth is that Nigeria needs disciplined leaders like Buhari. nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Reference(m): 1:22pm On Feb 10, 2012
belabela:

@ chmod777

There is no best form of government. Democracy is not better than military governement and vice versa. It depends on the leadership. As a matter of fact when the idea of democracy came philosphers such as Plato and Aristotle were against it. Plato was quoted as saying " Tyranny naturally arises out of democracy"

Unfortunately we live in the age of the worst tryanny in the history of mankind. All in the name of democracy. I hope you can see through it but in 10 years time it would be clear to the whole wolrd that there is no democracy in the world.

the idea of democracy is the best I think man has come up with but we have not been able to make it work. It ends up serving the interest of the elites. US congress just suspended SOPA but have incooporated it in a new bill, the EU is run by technocrats, Public opinion in the US and UK showed that the people were against the Iraq war but Bush and Blair who claimed to be running the government of the people sent young Americans and british to die for what the people were against. And so is most democracies. If you care about history you would discover that more crimes have been committed in the name of democracy than military rule. To rephrase the words of Marie-Jeanne Philippo (Madame Roland) “O Liberty! What crimes are committed in thy name!” we can say “O Democracy! What crimes are committed in thy name!”

Having said these. I don't think name calling would bring any meaningful progress to Nigeria. if we must practise democracy we have to get the electoral process right. If there is proper reforms such that real  votes are the ones that count. I think our problems would be half solved. Whoever is voted by the people would be responsible but as it is today election is a business. We practise "jungle democracy" and so we get jungle welfare

This is also not very correct. The worst democracy on record (if you will call it a democracy) was Hitler's Nazi Germany resulting in 20 million deaths. Stalin an autocrat doubled that within the same age. Let's not go into the military regimes of Latin American, the Franco's of Spain, the Pol Phut's of this world or the Napoleon's of ages ago to mention a few. The chances of military regimes suceeding and producing leasers less than beasts are like finding a needle in a haystack. When people get tired of fighting they take a break. Soldiers under orders don't take a break no matter how tired they are. If Buhari was the pilot of a plane flying into the ground will you be able to talk to save yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho's Bullet Proof With Arabic Inscription On It (Pictures) / Police Capture, Neutralize Ahmed Gulak's Killers (Graphic Pictures) / Kwankwaso's Supporters Burn Their Brooms In Kano After His Defection To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.