Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 (121346 Views)

Buhari, Nigeria's President-Elect's Convoy (Photo) / Jonathan Lied: Arms Export To Nigeria From 1983-1985 Facts And Figures / Graduate Employment Data 1983 - 1985 Under Buhari (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Turbocharged: 10:16am On Feb 11, 2012
It dat ur celebratd regime, Buhari was just a stooge. It was Tunde Idiagbon dat was calling d shot. Dictatorship & Democracy r not d same. If dis were his regime, @least 70% of NLders wold either be shot or imprisond 4 talkin against d govt.

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 11, 2012
[size=18pt]12TH APRIL 1984  - ITN NEWS
BUHARI'S MILITARY TRIBUNAL MEMBERS SWORN IN TO PROSECUTE 500 DETAINED POLITICIANS, OFFICIALS AND OTHERS CHARGED WITH FINANCIAL FRAUD[/size]
The swearing-in took place in Lagos on April 11 of members of Nigeria's special military tribunals which will try 475 detainees charged with financial misdemeanour.

The military government, in power since a coup on December 31, 1983, arrested public officials and businessmen accused of diverting millions of dollars of public money under the previous civilian regime.
The tribunal members, 20 military officers and five judges, were sworn in by Chief Justice Sodiende Sowemimo, and will begin their work around the end of April in five regional centres.

When Major-General Mohammed Buhari came to power in the New Year's Eve coup, he promised a crackdown on public corruption as one way of solving Nigeria's economic crisis.

In February, 1984, his government launched a "War against Indiscipline" to encourage a more efficient society. More recently, security forces in Lagos rounded up 6,000 suspected criminals, political extremists and illegal aliens.

A drive is currently in progress to force down food prices through raids on shopkeepers and others suspected of hoarding food.

TRANSCRIPT:
NAVAL OFFICER: (SEQ 5) "I (name indistinct), affirm that as member of the special military tribunal in (indistinct) set up under the recovery of public property (special military tribunals) decree 1984 and 1984 Number 3, I will faithfully and impartially, and to the best of my ability discharge the duties devolving upon me under the tribunal, so help me God."

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:56am On Feb 11, 2012
[size=18pt]29th April 1985 - The NY Times
General Buhari Imposes Curfew To End Religious Riots[/size]

. .BAUCHI, Nigeria, April 28— A dusk-to-dawn curfew has been imposed on the northern Nigerian town of Gombe, where more than 100 people have died in religious riots, an official statement said today.

Officials said the deaths occurred in two days of fighting between the police and members of the banned fundamentalist Maitatsine Islamic sect.

The Bauchi state government said that anyone violating the curfew ''will be regarded as a fanatic and will be shot on sight.''

The statement said the situation in Gombe was under control and most members of the sect were fleeing the town. A total of 146 suspected members of the sect had been arrested, it added.

Shooting broke out at dawn on Friday when the police tried to arrest Yusufu Adamu, the sect's leader in Gombe. Officials said nothing had been heard of him since, and it was unclear whether he was among those killed.

The initial police action cleared the sect out of its stronghold, but Nigerian television said many more lives were lost that night when the sect killed local people they had taken hostage.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 11, 2012
[size=18pt]30th April 1984  - ITN News
BUHARI SCRAPS OLD NAIRA NOTES AND CIRCULATES NEW CURRENCY IN ORDER TO RENDER STOLEN / SMUGGLED CASH WORTHLESS.[/size]

Nigerians waited in long queues outside banks in Lagos on April 25 to change old notes for new. Nigeria's decision to scrap its currency and start again with a new Naira marked a sudden stepping-up of the military government's attack on corruption.

The government announced on April 24 that banks would start changing new notes for old the next day.
Brigadier Tunde Idiagbon, who ranks second in the new administration, said in a national television broadcast that the country's land borders would be closed immediately in a move to render the old Naira worthless abroad.

The changeover will extend to May 6.In that time people will be allowed to change up to 5,000 old Naira for new notes. Anything over that amount must be deposited in banks, accomplished by affidavits proving source and ownership -- another move to pinpoint corruption.
Brigadier Idiagbon said the withdrawal of the old notes had become necessary because rampant smuggling of Naira had been a key factor in the sabotage of the Nigerian economy.

He said that hundreds of thousands of Naira had been found in the homes of several former state governors after the civilian government was ousted on December 31 last year. (remember in 1984  1Naira  fetched more than 1 dollar)
Since April 25,  bank officials have been trying to move the new money across the counters as fast as they were receiving it, but many have complained that people were forced to queue for hours outside banks which had run out of money to distribute.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.64.html

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by jamil2(m): 12:34pm On Feb 11, 2012
Subscribing. . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by honeric01(m): 2:25pm On Feb 11, 2012
GenBuhari:

[size=18pt]23 March 1984  -  ITN News
BUHARI’S GOVERNMENT LAUNCHES “WAR AGAINST INDISCIPLINE”[/size]

[size=18pt][b]Nigeria's military government is stepping-up its campaign against corruption, mismanagement and indiscipline at all levels in Nigeria society.

Preliminary hearings into corruption and abuse of office against former politicians and civil administrators have already begun and on March 21 the government launched its war against indiscipline.

One of the first areas under attack is Illegal Street trading in the capital Lagos. The military government of Major-General Buhari has promulgated a decree forbidding the street trading, a major source of income for many thousands of Lagos people. Police have already begun arresting street vendors and confiscating their wares.

The campaign is also designed to foster greater personal and social discipline with Nigerians being urged to queue for buses in an orderly fashion. The crackdown on indiscipline was announced by Brigadier Tunde Idiagbon, a member of the Nigerian Supreme Military Council.

BRIGADIER TUNDE IDIAGBON: "I want you to bear in mind the need to emphasise self-discipline and leadership by good example.
Begin by drawing public attention to little but important everyday manifestations of indiscipline such as rushing into buses, driving on the wrong side of the road, littering the streets, parks and dwelling compounds, cheating, taking undue advantage of scarcity to inflate prices for quick monetary gains, constituting ourselves into public nuisances, working without commitment and devoting little or no time to the upbringing of our children.

Up to this moment there has been no formal declaration of war against indiscipline, it is my pleasure therefore to declare today a launching day for the war against indiscipline."

[/b][/size]
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by globatop: 2:47pm On Feb 11, 2012
@GenBuhari.

STOP THIS WEB PAGE CAMPAIGN, BUHARI HAD ALL THE OPPORTUNITY TO FIGHT BACK THE IN-HOUSE COUP PLOTTERS, HE WAS CAUGHT LIKE A CHICKEN, BECAUSE HE WAS TIRED OF GOVERNANCE, BETTER STILL HE HAD ACHIEVED HIS AIM OF TRUNCATING OUR DEMOCRACY IN 1983. HIS MISSION WAS TO CONFISCATE THE REPORT THAT INDICTED HIM OVER THE MISSING $2.8B, ( THE POLITICIAN WERE TO VISIT HIS CASE AFTER 1983 ELECTION), AS SOON AS THAT WAS DONE HE LOST INTEREST, ALL THE ACHIEVEMENT THAT WERE CREDITED TO HIM WERE NOT HIS IDEAS, WE ALL KNOW HIM AS A STOOGE, IDIAGBON WAS THE ONE RULING, THAT WAS THE REASON WHY IBB PLANNED A COUNTER COUP AS IT WAS CLEAR BUHARI WAS QUITTING THE STAGE FOR IDIAGBON. IT WAS A PLANNED PALACE COUP TO GET RID OF IDIAGBON, WHY WAS HE (BUHARI) NOT KILLED IN THE COUP.

PLS MODERATOR, I CONSIDER THIS THREAD A SCAM.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 11, 2012
[size=18pt]8th May 1984 - The NY Times
Buhari announces plan for hefty cuts in government spending and reduction of imports[/size]

LAGOS, May 7— Nigeria's military head of state, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari, announced a tough austerity budget today for 1984 featuring hefty cuts in Government spending, higher interest rates and cuts in credit growth.

General Buhari said in a nationwide broadcast that Government spending this year would be cut by 15 percent from a budget presented by the ousted civilian Government only two days before its overthrow on New Year's Eve.

He said the Government would continue to try to cut imports, while giving priority to raw materials and spare parts for industry and agriculture, to reduce the country's balance of payments deficit.

General Buhari also said the Government would make every effort to keep oil production, which accounts for more than 90 percent of foreign exchange, up to the 1.3-million-barrels- a-day quota set by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 11, 2012
smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 11, 2012
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 12, 2012
smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 12, 2012
[size=18pt]17th May 1984  - ITN News
QUEUES FORM OUTSIDE BANKS AS CURRENCY CHANGEOVER TAKES EFFECT.[/size]

Queues stretched outside the banks of Lagos on May 4 as people waited to hand in their invalid bank notes. Nigeria's military rulers ordered the currency changeover as part of an anti-corruption campaign.

The old notes had to be deposited in banks before May 6. After that date, new bank notes would be issued. But Nigerian banking sources have since conceded that an acute shortage of the new currency existed. On May 15, it was reported that there were still queues outside banks, with some people so short of cash they were going hungry. Before the currency changeover, petrol stations and food prices dropped. few people were able to obtain cash with which to purchase goods.

The military government of General Muhammad Buhari took power when the civilian administration of President Shehi Shagari was overthrown on December 31, 1983. Since then, Buhari has instituted a number of reforms, announcing on May 7 an austerity budget for 1984 which government spending by 15 per cent and reduced imports.

A tough new press law was published in April, giving the government the power to close radio stations and newspapers.

Buhari also turned his attention to cleaning up the streets of Lagos, creating a task force to remove all abandoned cars from the city. Offending vehicles were towed away and crushed. Major Oladimeji was given charge of this mission

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 13, 2012
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:44am On Feb 13, 2012
Foot note (in brown ) inserted under news story 23/3/1984 about War Against Indiscipline
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 13, 2012
smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by OIbhagui(m): 2:53am On Feb 14, 2012
@Reference: you're close. I'm happy there is you in this country. What can we do to affect the discourse in this country? I'm not interested in idle talk and argument on fora; I want to do something as I have specific things that if given a chance, I will do and ameliorate the situation. But I don't.

I have no connections, and indeed don't even have any money so how would I get into the homes of Nigerians via electronic media. Please read this piece I wrote in 1998 and '' The Guardian'' didn't even have the decency to acknowledge receipt. I've been frustrated by all the efforts I've made to affect the discourse in this country. I'm a scientist and historian and a general reference guy myself.

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2615816753572619903#editor/target=post;postID=5168217777661093544
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 14, 2012
[size=18pt]10th June 1984  - The NY Times
Buhari's Tribunal jails Former Gov. Melford Okilo of Rivers State for 21 Years for having Foreign Bank Accounts[/size]

.LAGOS, Nigeria, June 9— Former Gov. Melford Okilo of Rivers State has been jailed for 21 years by a military tribunal for illegally holding bank accounts abroad, newspapers reported today.

The reports said that he had been given four concurrent 21-year sentences in a trial in Enugu rather than 84 years, as reported on television Friday.

The charges involved two bank accounts held in Britain and in the United States. It is illegal for a public official in Nigeria to have a foreign bank account.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by olaak1(m): 8:59am On Feb 15, 2012
Buhari a 'sain' of our generation (sic) nonsense!
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 15, 2012
Who said he was a saint? undecided
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 3:36am On Feb 16, 2012
smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 6:27am On Feb 18, 2012
[size=18pt]18 June 1984  - ITN News
GENERAL BUHARI LAUNCHES ALL-OUT DRIVE AGAINST CORRUPTION.[/size]

After months of indecision the military rulers of Nigeria have launched a major crack-down on corruption and indiscipline. Decrees have been issued by the government of Major General Mohammed Buhari curbing the country's press and threatening with jail any adult Nigerian who has held foreign currency over the past five years.

The government of the oil-rich country of 80 to 100 million people, has announced a campaign against disorderliness, inefficiency, sloth and disregard for hard work.

It has also empanelled military tribunals to try deposed civilian office holders accused of corruption. The campaign seems to have achieved an initial degree of popular acceptance but there has been widespread criticism of the military tribunals holding hearings in secret.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.96.html

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by igbo2011(m): 6:39am On Feb 18, 2012
I heard many great things about Buhari. Maybe he will get into a position of power soon. Do you think he will win in 2015?
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 18, 2012
I think in all probability , Buhari won in 2003, 2007 and 2011. However elections were rigged.

The problem is that the Nigerian public do not understand what democracy is. They do not understand that rigged elections are not acceptable in a democracy.

It could be that Nigeria is only ready for a military dictatorship at this time.

At the moment what is preventing a military takeover is steadily high oil prices, I believe that if our oil prices falls sharply below $70/Barrel, things would become so unbearable, that the return of military may become inevitable.

Previous coups have all occurred after a crash in oil prices. At the moment Nigerians are enduring a great deal of hardship.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:09am On Feb 19, 2012
smiley
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 19, 2012
[size=18pt]5th July 1984  - ITN News
TWO GUARDIAN JOURNALISTS JAILED BY LAGOS MILITARY TRIBUNAL FOR PUBLISHING INACCURATE STORY .[/size]

Two journalists from a leading Nigerian newspaper, the Guardian, were jailed on July 5 by a Lagos military tribunal because they published an incorrect story about the naming of a new envoy to Britain. The one-year sentences were the first handed down under recent regulations covering press operations.

Guardian diplomatic correspondent Tunde Thompson and assistant news editor Nduke Irabor were found guilty of falsely reporting on April 8 that an army officer who replaced a civilian as Nigeria's ambassador to Britain would not get the post. The publishers were fined about 67,000 US dollars and ordered to pay by the following day. Thompson and Irabor, in detention since mid-April, were acquitted on two other charges. Judge Ayinde, heading the special tribunal, ruled that stories published on March 31 and April 1 were true.

The reports said Nigeria was closing eleven foreign missions, and that eight military chiefs were to be appointed as ambassadors. The journalists were charged under a decree which gives Major-General Mohammed Buhari's government powers to punish journalists and publishers and close newspapers for reports which are false or which ridicule or dispute public officials. In his judgement, Ayinde said the April 8 story was false in every detail. The report said Major-General Halidu Hannaniya, recently posted to London as Nigeria's new high commissioner, had been dropped in favour of retired army officer Major-General Ibrahim Haruna. Since the new year, a total of six journalists have been detained.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Jakumo(m): 10:50am On Feb 19, 2012
Some more pictures from Nigeria's history, for your edification. The question asked was : "What is your opinion of democracy ?"

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 4:30am On Feb 20, 2012
@Jakumo,
Why do you dislike Buhari so much?

Was your papa on of the corrupt officials that Buhari jailed?

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2012
smiley

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Jakumo(m): 7:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
GenBuhari:

@Jakumo,
Why do you dislike Buhari so much?

Was your papa on of the corrupt officials that Buhari jailed?

Mini Ayatollah, you know better than most that your chosen deity, Ayatollah Buhari Bin Laden, is a weak, senile old fart seeking the limelight by way of financing terror attacks against innocent Nigerian civilians, in vengeance over but the latest in his string of resounding presidential election defeats.   Before his case of electoral mob-murder instigation is established to the point of arrest warrant issuance by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, please permit me the small indulgence of applauding Buhari's every act of public buffoonery.   

For the families of  several dozen drafted Nigerian Youth Corps election officials, who were lynched by baying mobs at the behest of Ayatollah Buhari, when his electoral loss during Nigeria's most recent presidential polls became apparent, there is nothing at all amusing or endearing about the scowling rabble-rouser who orchestrated the murder of their loved ones.  Buhari remains, to those grieving families, a perpetrator of premeditated capital homicide who MUST be held to account for those crimes against humanity, just as is now the lot of Laurent Gbagbo, Ivory Coast's former president, who called for blood when he too stared electoral defeat in the face, and is currently in his second year awaiting trial in a secure cell.

Your foul and evil object of worship feeds on the blood of the innocent, Mini-Ayatollah.   Repent your bone-headed ways, and you MIGHT be forgiven by the immutable laws of Karma.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 4:42am On Feb 22, 2012
It is a pity that corrupt people are so threatened by Buhari, that they feel they need to use lies to soil his good name.

Blatent election rigging, causes rioting in the North ( where any rigging was most obvious), some corpers are killed and these corrupt politicians are trying to pin the blame on Buhari.

How about blaming the rigging of elections? after all it  was that rigging that cause the riots.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Jakumo(m): 6:49am On Feb 22, 2012
For your information, Mini Ayatollah, Nigeria's most recent presidential election was THE most orderly, fair and transparent such exercise EVER conducted throughout the ENTIRE history of Nigeria.

That being said, ANY election that spares a nation from the ordeal of being ruled by a profoundly evil critter such as the one whose picture you have so kindly provided, is, by definition, a GOOD election, regardless of what went on at the polls.   

Your clinical depression and anguish are clearly evident in this pathetic, broken-record obsession that you have developed over your chosen god, but you must learn to take the pain and live with it,  for your impotent bleating and whining will only aggravate your mental condition further, while simply amusing spectators.   

Have a good day, sir, if you can tell the difference.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2012
^ Please sincerely answer me yes or no:

Did Buhari arrest any of your relatives?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho's Bullet Proof With Arabic Inscription On It (Pictures) / Police Capture, Neutralize Ahmed Gulak's Killers (Graphic Pictures) / Kwankwaso's Supporters Burn Their Brooms In Kano After His Defection To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.