Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! (893 Views)

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? / T / The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! by geeez: 11:35am On Jan 31, 2012
I did a memo for approval for several vendors' payment this year totalling N835m. My line manager reviewed the memo and then a GM, who is my Divisonal Head. The memo was presented to the management committtee and thereafter approved.

Recently in the course of work, I noticed I included a contract which was not supposed to be executed this year in the budget. I actually removed the cost of engaging a part of the vendor's services but I erroneously included the cost of servicing the vendor. This means the entire budget was higher than it should have been by 180k. May look small but if its spotted in an audit I don't know what might happen. I've been so worried looking and I dont want to raise it now as appraisal month in March.

Any suggestions? Anyone who has had a similar issue? I currently work in one of the big 3 banks.
Re: A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! by Kx: 11:45am On Jan 31, 2012
Am not surprised that your "superiors" who are paid handsomely could not painstakingly review what you prepared prior to their approval. Most ogas just believe their work is just to sign without looking at what they are signing.

Discuss your finding with your ogas and open up with the truth.
The approved memo can be adjusted now and signed off and implemented on a clean note.
Should the auditors note this as an exception and bring it to the knowledge of exe mgt, it could cost ur GM, ur line manager and ur job. Auditors may even call it fraud not minding that it was an unintentional mistake not aimed at gaining undue advantage in any way. Matter of fact, ur GM and ur line manager can even play balls at top mgt level and sacrifice u, the one who actually made the mistake.

Own up now and save ur career and everybody's d issues that may follow whenever.
Re: A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! by geeez: 11:52am On Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for this

I'm actually plan to point it out to my line manager but I'm just worried about the appraisal thingy. How do you suggest I go about it
Re: A Big Mistake In An Approval Memo! Help! by Kx: 11:58am On Jan 31, 2012
Guy,loosing a few appraisal points or promotion eg, is better than loosing your job on account of this.

Why the fear thing, show me who is above mistake?

(1) (Reply)

Can A Food Engr Register With Nigeria Society Of Engrs? / How To Write A Remarkable Resume For Scholarship / Project Management Certification In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.