Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

University Or Business? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / University Or Business? (3801 Views)

Poll: Getting a university degree or starting a business: which is better?

University degree: 72% (52 votes)
Starting a business: 27% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

University Or Business / Best Nigerian Bank For Corporate Or Business Account / Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Or Business? by ow11(m): 11:57am On Oct 17, 2007
@ugonna0071

its actually a shame the society believs in a thing like that. this is the reason our universities are filled with hoodlums and call girls. everyone wants to get a degree, even if they don't need it.
Jamb exams are held in a scanderlous manner.its rather annoying

If people begin to realise that education isn't Bsc then a little bit of sanity will enter our schools.
Re: University Or Business? by Kaestro(m): 12:34pm On Oct 17, 2007
Both are like gambling with all your last stakes.A win guarantees more money.Remember the dice is 6 sided so weigh your options with little doubt.
Re: University Or Business? by kingdons(m): 11:40am On Oct 18, 2007
Education is the best Legacy one can have but not in Nigeria. Face it, after your schooling, you are still subjected to at least a year of intensive training by your employers. I am a university graduate and if given many more chances, i would still attend the university just to satisfy my ego: Not that it really helps citizens of this country. Graduates, other than self-composure and confidence, what did you learn in school that you think you could not have learnt by just reading books at home while doing business?
Re: University Or Business? by Phiry(m): 1:16am On Oct 21, 2007
Whichever one you chose, it's all good, everything will end when you die.
And what you need most to survive on earth is money.
The thing is just that the educated rule the world and this make the less
educated feel they are not as important just like the white against black race
(I wish I didn't say that but it's true), and secondary school would have made
you understand enough English to manoeuvre your way around being the official
language.

Some people have been saying education is this and that, but how many employed
worker become rich in this world because this is what most educated citizens turnout
to become. Great riches arise from business and a secondary
school leaver is set from that. Reading further(which is widely called education) is only
a step to specializing.

The story said Paul read further, that is even better at that time because he is
likely to be studying what his business really needs and not some course that
young school leavers see as fashionable or an instruction by an elder which
the guy might not have flair for.

Someone asked, "what would you resort to if a business fails?" but let me ask what
you will do if you lose you job and you don't get one for, say 7 years? Someone in
business won't wait that long before he gets involved in something else.

In Nigeria, once you get educated, you wait till eternity to get a job and you don't
consider business as your choice for too long a time. This made claim "education
is good for business" claim untrue because the better percentage of the educated
don't go into into business! You all know that most "unemployed" people are educated.
If you ask an illiterate what he/she does, you may hear jobs like cobbler, farmer etc but
someone that had degree, once he is not employed somewhere, He is jobless. He
starts complaining about the government. In fact I think degree makes people think some
jobs are not for them and they keep on suffering as result of this.

I am not against education, I love that I have it but don't run business down by saying
"money without education is nothing". nothing? no no no.
Re: University Or Business? by Rare(m): 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2007
I can authoritatively say that as at completion of my SSCE, I could write & speak English excellently, and think constructively, so much so that I could have started thinking of making money if I had such ideas brought to my awareness.

However, I must admit that what my university education did is to give me expertise knowledge (theoretically!!) in my chosen field, not only through the classroom but also interaction with a wider society.

Hence i would suggest that one gets a university education (if means are available) . Then the awareness of the apparent failure of our university system will help you allocate your priorities and maximize your time.
Re: University Or Business? by babymi1: 11:34am On Oct 24, 2007
I really love this topic, first and foremost i would like to thank the initiator of this wonderful topic. To me getting a university degree first is advisable.
Education will not only give you knowledge but also wisdom and power but nevertheless, having your own business is still the ultimate.
At this junction, i need to encourage all the graduates that are searching for jobs to try and think of other things they can use their hands to do rather than going from one place to the other begging for work. Having a degree does not necessary mean you must work with, your degree will make you excel in any business you do. I f illiterate and literate men are into the same busines, believe me the literate man will do well because the way he will handle his business will be different because of his level of Education.
In addition, having a degree does not mean you must use it to work for employers, always think of what you can do, establsh your own small scale business. Thank God anywhere educated people are talking you can as well talk, people will still respect you if are a sucessful enterpreneur. Always think of how you can employ brains, educated people to work in your own organization, Mike Adenuga, Dangote are like you and I. If they have decided to be employees for the rest of thier lives nobody will be talking of Globacom. You have a unique talent please develop it, beginning may be difficult but the end will be glorious.
Conclusively, my advice goes to all unemployed graduates in the house, while you are still searching for jobs always think of you can use your hand to do, learn new things, be practical and above all we all need God.
Thank you.
Re: University Or Business? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 24, 2007
HI,

Business is good b/c it puts money in ur pocket BUT "SELF DEVELOPMENT" not education is d highest leagacy u can give 2 urself.

I said self development b/c here in nig, we focus on school n then a white collar job.This is one reason d unemployment rate is high.
If we focus on CONSCIOUSLY going 2 school 2 dev our self(talent inclusive), then we will b better positioned 2 face challenges esp financial b/c that is d koko.Any education that does not polish ur talent is zero 4 mi.

Education is good,Business is good but pls dev urself along with that which u do effortlessly e.g fashion(ADE BAKARE is a good example),Hair,Writing,Public Speaking,etc
Never ignore what ever u do effortlessly cos it might just b d key 2 a bright financial future.

GOOD 4 QUALITATIVE EDUCATION n FIRE EMPLOYERS.
Re: University Or Business? by akym(m): 1:01am On Oct 26, 2007
The topic is interesting and important to the undregratuate
So that they wont fall into the vitim that they must graduate before geting something doing.
Heaven help those who help them self.
Education is Power and IT will surely put food on ur table.
Re: University Or Business? by BlackMamba(m): 9:15pm On Oct 26, 2007
The odds of becoming a successful trader (most Naija business is simple commerce) from boy-boy level, is as long a shot as a graduate with no connection in high places. Except you're involved in some fraudulent business which sadly is the only sure path to successful business in Naija.
Re: University Or Business? by whatnext: 11:42am On Sep 13, 2008
For this present day naija, omo na business oh!
Re: University Or Business? by woodboi(m): 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2008
what a nice topic kudos to you man,you know most nigerian are victim to this issue.but let think of it if you get into school at 18 and by 22,23 you are done with your B s,you will have the chance to do whatever you feel like and have the chances to take risk.but not in my country everything seems to be going down the lane and nobody seems to care.

but for the wise one who can read between the two and have a written goal.i am close to my mid 20s now 3yrs ago i wasn't thinking about a vision with a written goal,all i know is that i want a better life go to school and get a blue chip job that is just my last hope.but now table have turn i feel i am already close to my future and if i don't take the right step 5yrs from now will tell on me.and i want to believe same thing apply to most people.we need a better educational system as i am sending this they will be going on 3days strike tomorrow.

but my advice to my fellow human is find the right key your hand and make use of it school or business.most of the name that top the world richest chat today are school drop out,you can go to school and at the same time have a business of your own.
Re: University Or Business? by Moyo1(m): 10:51am On Dec 04, 2008
School or biz, whichever come first really doesn't count when it comes to being successful in life. Success requires that one sensitizes his or her enterpreneurial spirit. I tell u, the guy that went to the university has not yet harnessed his potentials and that explains why he is yet to make it.

The other guy that went for business instead, was successful not because business pays more than education but because he developed his enterpreneurial abilities. I tell u by the time he finally completes his university degree too, his level of success will increase.
Success in any field of endeavour especially business requires deligence and not necessarily education.

In the field of SUCCESS, deligence, strong enterprenurial skills, hardwork(smartwork) are all core courses, education is optional. It can be useful but not a MUST.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Business Plan For Supermarket / PayPal Scammer: Akintunde Opawale, Jeffrey Ewohime, Arrianw, +23490102987817 / Where Can I Find Old 1 Kobo Coin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.