Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? (6915 Views)

University Or Business / Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? / University Or Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by unclenna(m): 10:40am On Nov 15, 2011
Owing to what the world and Nigerian economy are passing through now, what will be your best advice to a fresh graduate. Is it to look for work or to start-up a business.(consider also the high unemployment rate) what's your advice, don't just view this page, try and leave a comment because your advice may go a long way to help our fresh graduates and the unemployed youths.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by unclenna(m): 10:52am On Nov 15, 2011
Everyone is entitle to his view. My advice to young school leavers is: start-up a business as you are waiting for job. Don't just fold your hands and waste your time waiting for a job that may not come. I speak from experience, Even if 100,000 job opportunities are created today in Nigeria it will still not be enough. So why wait.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by vladimiros: 10:10am On Nov 16, 2011
don't want to sound shallow but

if you really wanted a business

you won't even need to go to school

1 Like

Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by KINGwax(m): 10:14am On Nov 16, 2011
I bet your last statement is all u intended to post cos i can't fathom how a guy seeking for job will start a 'factory'? But why can't u guys (@highlander) jst take your drugs and sell in the traffic, BRT and inter state commercial buses instead of sitting your A.SSES in the office while some low-thinkers do the jobs for you?
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Acidosis(m): 10:16am On Nov 16, 2011
Everybody wants 'education' as if it is the solution to poverty. Education does not pay, so why waste your time in the first place. So many people I know are already established even before going to school. Now I'm not saying schooling is bad as I attended one. Get yourself the book '' Rich Dad, Poor Dad'' by Robert Kiyosaki and stop wating your time. Have you ever wondered why Ekiti state has the highest number of Professor, yet the state is one of the poorest state in the country.
In other words, I don't recommend business for graduates, but undergraduates thats if you must go to school
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 16, 2011
Unemployment rate in nigeria is embarassin! If graduates can set up a good biz for themselves, its gonna be a plus, but who sets up a good biz without capital?
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Baawaa(m): 10:30am On Nov 16, 2011
It depend on the background of individual,if the capital is there is good you start your own business.But if the capital is not there,you can get a job and give yourself target!!
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by emisun(m): 10:33am On Nov 16, 2011
in naija there is no employment and neither is there a business friendly environment. the only work for this country na ZANGO(armed robbery)
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by 222Martins(m): 10:38am On Nov 16, 2011
You can either start a business or get a job; both options are good. It all depends on your personal values. Do you have the right mindset to start a business? Are you prepared to handle the challenges associated with building a business? Do you value financial freedom over security? Are you prepared to work for free for two to five years without pay? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you can start a business. But if it's no, then please go get a job asap.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 16, 2011
vladimiros:

In as much as you tried your possible best not to sound shallow, Am sorry u actually did. Knowledge gotten from school is not limited to academic work only. Your mind, ideas, perspective and scope get's broadened, In fact your Secondary and Primary school does/gives the Education, while the University gives life to the education grin

1 Like

Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by floyet(f): 10:51am On Nov 16, 2011
Starting a business is it!

Vacancies are hardly advertised openly these days;

why wait for what isnt forthcoming

Start up something today,no matter how small,

Need not tell u not to despise da days of little beginings, adios.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by scopusng(m): 10:57am On Nov 16, 2011
Please go ask GEJ which is better.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by sheyguy: 11:01am On Nov 16, 2011
The problem with the thread/topic's question has to do with that of poor education in the higher institution which is rampant in Nigerian schools. U ask a jobless grad. what can u do. & u will see that they have nuttin to offer. This is a result of years of neglect and low standard of education in most public sch. When u have nuttin u can do confidently it is hard to approach pple freely either to patronize u or hire u.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by slap1(m): 11:03am On Nov 16, 2011
It depends on the job or business you are shooting for. Whichever has better prospects, that's the one I'll choose. Afterall, being successful (rich) is the ultimate target.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by yamakuza: 11:07am On Nov 16, 2011
Experience is important.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 16, 2011
vladimiros:

I think i agree with u on a level, being that some years ago as a fresh graduate i stayd at home close to a year and 5 month searching for a job it ws dat bad,dis is a person(me),who after my 'o'level immediatly got a job with 'Agip' then as a store keeper bt hd to resign coz of d admission i got, Though i thank God dt i later secured a great job wit 'Sahara Energy' after so much wait being jobless!To conclude every graduate shuld think well n nt loose hope, both to me are okay.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Drlumi: 11:23am On Nov 16, 2011
Both options are fine.

However, from experience, if you really wanted to start a business immediately after school, you should have started it while in school even if on a small scale. Business requires taking risks and having experience. While you are in school, you can afford to lose money (especially when the business is small) and run to your parents. You would also be gaining experience and skill while being shielded from the real world. But once you are out of school, you have to cater for yourself. It becomes more difficult to start at that stage.

The other alternative is to pick up a job and work on your business alongside. The job grants you some form of backbone and helps you stabilize financially while you are getting your ground on your own business.

But guess what? If you are really business minded and you are not ready to follow the usual trend of waiting until the age of retirement, plunge into it fast and face it before you even get married. You can bear hunger alone and pay the price. But once you have responsibilities to cater for (such as a wife and family), it would become irresponsible to just quit your job and follow your dreams if you don't have a good pile of cash somewhere.

Visit Kudizone for business tips and information.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by eghost247(m): 11:24am On Nov 16, 2011
vladimiros:

oh come on now education is important, just because of unemployment in the country does not mean people shouldn't go to school sides what if things change in the near future u can always pick up your qualifications and get a job u can run a business if your unemployed it is understandable but not going to school at all that is just wrong
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by freecocoa(f): 11:30am On Nov 16, 2011
vladimiros:

Are you for real?you didn't just sound shallow,that's the shallowest you can sound.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 16, 2011
A business dat wld sustain u nd meet ur tastes as a graduate isnt easy unless u hv gud connections plus d passion/talent for it. (Startup capital shdnt be d 1st consideratn).
I'm naturally a biz person but after several failed ventures, i've decided to earn(work,save,invest,network) as i learn(Bsc, Cert, Masters) so i cn be better equipped for biz in d yrs to come. U cld do likewise.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 16, 2011
Are you thinking of starting a business or you run an existing one?
Are you confused confused on what business to go into or how to go about it?
Are your customers complaining about your product or service or you find it difficult ro attract new customers?
Do your staffs need to improve on their customer’s relations, marketing and sales, management or general office performance or attitude?
Do you want to send you staffs on training but scared of the huge amount paid for training by Consulting firms?
Do you have a problem getting the general public to be aware of your product and service or your line of business?
Are you losing more money than gaining profit in order to make your business survive?
Do you have problems with your vendors and don’t meet up to deadlines given by you customers?
If any of the above Questions is in the affirmative then you certainly need a change.
A change to help you take your business to that dream level you have always imagined.
Nirom and Doch is that change you need.

We are a Brand and Management Consulting Service Firm.
We assist Small and Medium Enterprise (SME’s) realize their place in the highly competitive market in their business line.
Our experience spans across various business sectors such as; Fashion, Events and Entertainment, Hospitality, Food and Beverages, Media, Health, Oil and Gas, Marketing, Building and Estate Surveyors, Finance Houses, Packaging, Technology, Education, Transportation, Travel and Tourism and General Business services.
We at Nirom and Doch take the whole stress off you trying to realize what the problem is, but rather will bring a lasting solution to help grow you business.

Our Various Services Include:
Management Development training
Sales and Marketing training
Customer Relations training
Executive and new trainee staff training
Brand and Communication Development
Brand Re-Structuring
Proposal and Business Plan writing
Public Relations advice
We are made up of young professionals who have almost 8 years in Brand and Management Consulting.
We do NOT start charging unless you have been fully convinced about our services and seeing reasonable results.

Contact Us :
Nirom and Doch
niromanddoch@rocketmail.com
01-8127254, 08034010652
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Prime007: 12:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
If the person has the aptitude and desire they can start a business. None is better than the other, they are just different tracks on the same road.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by mickey339(m): 12:10pm On Nov 16, 2011
is better to establish one self,
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by Acidosis(m): 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2011
Prime007:

If the person has the aptitude and desire they can start a business. None is better than the other, they are just different tracks on the same road.
they are different o brother, C E O is not same with M D. Employer and Employee nor be same o.
Don't you wish to own an establishment, a company or something or is it that you enjoy working for your mates or prefer making people rich and @ the end they thank you with a fraction of your actual worth. Think
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by iknopro(m): 12:17pm On Nov 16, 2011
Am a fresh graduate and am currently seeking for a job, but that does not mean i fold my hands and wait for the job to come, i do some other things like selling of recharge cards, pls if you can help me with any work i will appreciate, my number 08151137444

1 Like

Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by smoothlips(m): 12:21pm On Nov 16, 2011

that's very shallow!
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by dinah777: 12:22pm On Nov 16, 2011
Considering that we are all blessed with various creative talents and our economy situation,i ll advise doing both,you can start up a business with what little capital you have whilein school or immediately you are out of school while jobhunting,No matter the job offer you get as you grow in life you will find out you could use extra cash from another source of income.Bottom line doing both pays if you can cope.
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by meetagape(m): 12:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
I graduated from FUTO last month. At my fourth year, i really got uncomfortable with school-maybe because what they taught has little to do with my life.

They never taught me about money, They thought me how to work for ADP, State/federal offices. Nobody taught me how to turn ideas into cash.

This is the reason i must own a business school, before i die. My children must not be educated in this educational system that is part of a greater conspiracy of the rich to never teach kids about money. Do u think this is simply an oversight, don't think so,

Signing out now>
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by buzor(m): 1:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
@meetagape not after reading RICH DAD POOR DAD, you come out here to say rubbish. that you re not able to cope in school doesnt necessarily mean the education system is entirely bad and should be thrown away
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by kings112(m): 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
With money all things ar possible
Re: Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? by routik(m): 2:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
If you don't have what it takes to start a business then you have no option than to get a job(no matter how little), gather experience, save some money, secure your job or better still resign and make use of the savings as startup capital. If you can get loan from family and friends, better for you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cement Company Of Northern Nigeria Declares N16.89 Billion Revenue In Q1 2019 / See What MMM Did To Nigeria Photo / MINI IMPORTATION Business - Items That Sell Fast In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.