Stats: 3,156,450 members, 7,830,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man (10974 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF / Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu (2) (3) (4)

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by ismaeel86(m): 8:23pm On Feb 02, 2012
according to most southerners nothing ever good come from the north. they believed most northerners are illiterates and the one that are literates are dumb. but they forgot that one of the world widely acclaimed orator comes from the north in person of Alhaji maitama sule (Dan masanin Kano). he has a good command of english and he is very eloquent, even obama will study his speeches.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 02, 2012
People keep making the mistake. Its not about eloquence or mastery of the English language. If you attended any good school,you will be eloquent. Its all about practice. Your innate intelligence is another matter entirely. Aminu kano,lamido sanusi, for instance, are truly intelligent people.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by PhysicsQED(m): 9:46pm On Feb 02, 2012
Has anyone here read the novel Balewa wrote before he became prime minister? Just wondering.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 02, 2012
^what's the title? I will love to read it.
Waiting for your reply.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by PhysicsQED(m): 10:10pm On Feb 02, 2012
It's called Shaihu Umar: a novel.. I never read it (too busy). Just wondering if anyone else here has.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by AjanleKoko: 11:17pm On Feb 02, 2012
Okay, now, things are so bad for Nigeria, we have to rehash the life of Tafawa Balewa. With all our top-heavy Harvard men and women, we need to go back to Tafawa Balewa to find an intelligent Nigerian?

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by aljharem(m): 11:24pm On Feb 02, 2012
PHD leaders would never grantee Nigeria to be successful .

Having a good command of English is not even the case here. It is having the RIGHT frame of mind.

Buhari and Idiagbon the 2 best leaders in Nigeria history never got PhD

Abraham Lincon never did masters

I can keep going on and on.

Our so called PhD owners are just stealing us dry.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 11:59pm On Feb 02, 2012
Nobody is looking for approval from arrogant southerners - least from frustrated nairaladers we see here and the dish washers and illegal immigrants in the west. I want no hypocritical patronage from these cannibals. They should call me "goro chewing Aboki cattle rearer " or anything worse if they like. It is good for one to know one's enemies.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Samoo01: 9:22am On Feb 03, 2012
Alhaji Tafawa Balewa is not just your average greedy and acrimonious politico.

He's a man of both integrity and utmost honor, well educated and intelligent to the extent that Obafemi Awolowo envied him to boot and made several attempts to assassinate him as revealed in Justice Sowemimo's court.

Enough of these legendary tales that's nothing but propaganda to prop we the Yorubas.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by lagcity(m): 4:48pm On Feb 03, 2012
Samoo01:

He's a man of both integrity and utmost honor, well educated and intelligent to the extent that [b]Obafemi Awolowo envied him to boot and made several attempts to assassinate him as revealed in Justice Sowemimo's court.[/b]Enough of these legendary tales that's nothing but propaganda to prop we the Yorubas.

[size=16pt] shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked[/size] abeg drop full gist instead of dropping appetizer and running away.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 5:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
Samoo01:

He's a man of both integrity and utmost honor, well educated and intelligent to the extent that Obafemi Awolowo envied him to boot and made several attempts to assassinate him as revealed in Justice Sowemimo's court.

Enough of these legendary tales that's nothing but propaganda to prop we the Yorubas.
Abegi,no throw info around like dat witout backing it up wit evidence. Assassinate is a very dangerous word.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by MeAboki(m): 11:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
nagoma:

Nobody is looking for approval from arrogant southerners - least from frustrated nairaladers we see here and the dish washers and illegal immigrants in the west. I want no hypocritical patronage from these cannibals. They should call me "goro chewing Aboki cattle rearer " or anything worse if they like. It is good for one to know one's enemies.

Allah shiyimaka albarka cool It is better to be underrated than overrated, let them continue in their bigotry and inflated egos, time will come when aboki will really shine their eyes.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by mamazita1(f): 11:41pm On Feb 03, 2012
The problem Southerners had with Balewa was that he was seen as a puppet set by the British who wanted someone they could control when they reluctantly left Nigeria.  They couldnt have done that with a Zik, or Awolowo etc.  Southerners also felt Balewa was indirectly being controlled by the more powerful Sarduana of Sokoto, Ahmadu Bello who was the Northern premiere but had backing of the British as well as the Military which was Hausa-dominated (and still is). His death really was not necessary but unfortunately he was in the wrong position at the wrong time. As someone said on the thread, we really need to read up on our history. its very interesting.  See these links to see what led to the killing of Balewa and others which consequently led to the Civil War.   

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/siollun/1966_coup1.htm     

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/siollun/1966_coup2.htm
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 11:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
@mamazita

We all  know what the kwenu website will say but we know better.  The Igbo bloody coup of 15th January 1966 Was meant to remove all non Igbos violently. It was the first documented ethnic cleansing in Africa. Long before Rwanda.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by mamazita1(f): 12:19am On Feb 04, 2012
@Nagoya Why not read it first before assuming? And FYI I am not Igbo. Im an objective Nigerian.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by safariman(m): 6:05pm On Apr 12, 2012
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 9:03am On Apr 13, 2012
@Darui
It doesn't sound like you have any education yourself. Certainly not in the history of Nigeria. Please get hold of the book " a right honorable gentleman " -by Clark -you would know that Tarawa Balewa could not have done better in one lifetime. In education , which was his first call and in sincere nationalists politics and not the tribal money so called politics of today.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by zaboy: 3:47pm On May 11, 2012
people make a mistake in thinking that anyone who can speak english is educated. Education is one thing, language is another thing. I have met a lot of southerners who can speak good english, and they have attended 6 yrs of primary school, 6 yrs of sec. school and 4 or 5 yrs in a university, but still illitrates!
For me, education is common sense. You have that, you are educated, if you dont, well...
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by SoldierPikin: 5:01pm On Mar 26, 2013
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 10:43am On Mar 27, 2013
zaboy: people make a mistake in thinking that anyone who can speak english is educated. Education is one thing, language is another thing. I have met a lot of southerners who can speak good english, and they have attended 6 yrs of primary school, 6 yrs of sec. school and 4 or 5 yrs in a university, but still illitrates!
For me, education is common sense. You have that, you are educated, if you dont, well...

And I have met many SOUTHERNERS who have a PhD but have no common sense , have no capacity for productive thinking, and can't articulate their speeches very well. GEJ is a good example of this type.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Dede1(m): 12:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
It is a silly act of ingratitude to remotely juxtapose the eruditions of Azikiwe with those of Balewa. There is a great difference between reading a prepared statements and writing intelligible essays.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1: It is a silly act of ingratitude to remotely juxtapose the eruditions of Azikiwe with those of Balewa. There is a great difference between reading a prepared statements and writing intelligible essays.

Zik was special and we all respect his intellect and education but I can see that you are making assumptions by " reading prepared statement " comment. I strongly recommend the book " Right honorable Gentleman " you will enjoy reading it and you will have so much enlightenment about many issues around Balewa and even Zik. Clark was the author.in any case the thread was not a comparison thread between Zik and Balewa so don't derail it.it just said Balewa was intelligent.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 3:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
Darui: He was indeed intelligent but with out the education he acquired in Britain,he would be another aristocratic fulani Emir.
I wonder why since he became enlightened,he couldn't cajole the people he was closest to,infact force them to go to school. Nigeria's problem would have greatly lessened.

Another display of ignorance Balewa was not Fulani.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Dede1(m): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
nagoma:

Zik was special and we all respect his intellect and education but I can see that you are making assumptions by " reading prepared statement " comment. I strongly recommend the book " Right honorable Gentleman " you will enjoy reading it and you will have so much enlightenment about many issues around Balewa and even Zik. Clark was the author.in any case the thread was not a comparison thread between Zik and Balewa so don't derail it.it just said Balewa was intelligent.

I have read from masters of wordsmith such as Azikiwe. It will amount to waste of my time to read from Clark. I hope you meant JP Clark.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Gamji007: 4:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko: Okay, now, things are so bad for Nigeria, we have to rehash the life of Tafawa Balewa. With all our top-heavy Harvard men and women, we need to go back to Tafawa Balewa to find an intelligent Nigerian?

He was Nigeria's First Prime Minister!
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 4:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1:

I have read from masters of wordsmith such as Azikiwe. It will amount to waste of my time to read from Clark. I hope you meant JP Clark.

You have got problem with comprehension. What you read from the master didn't seem to have worked. Please read the sequence again.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by ganye1: 5:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1:

I think, he meant Trevor Clark.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Dede1(m): 6:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
nagoma:

You have got problem with comprehension. What you read from the master didn't seem to have worked. Please read the sequence again.

I guess you have problem with writing skills. Any fool could have been Clark including you. It is not my style to read craps on less unimportant subjects.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Dede1(m): 6:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
ganye1:
I think, he meant Trevor Clark.

Thanks for the info.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 8:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
BizBooks:

I forgot that one. That was another popular legend. This legend has it that Balewa did not know the English tea etiquette and ended up drinking 42 cups at a conference in London before Zik came to his rescue.

Notice that in all these stories denigrating Tafawa Balewa, Zik is always the "Cultured Hero" that comes to the "rescue" of the "Illiterate Northern Beast".

I rest my case.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Bobandgreat: 9:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
lagerwhenindoubt:

[size=20pt]Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar![/size]

I have always known that Northerners are very intelligent. Eventhough it took me many years to dispell some of the stories i heard about them as a kid. For example, i said to my self, if these guys have the brain of a cow, how come they have been ruling u ever since, that means I have a lesser brain than the cow. I also reasoned that if these guys were dumb, how come they are able to exert such control on the Yorubas with all their profs.
In my class in the University, i had one northerner that i loved so much because the guy was practicaly a genius. He knew the answers to mathematical questions without writing anything down. I therefore concluded that, though most northerners dont go to school because of Islam, those that go to school are highly intelligent like geniuses.

@lagerwhenindoubt, that ur chanting up there is what Boko Haram chant just before they kill. Are u one?
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1 and his big grammar sha... Even when he tries to "soften" it, it still comes out booming like misdirected lightening and thunder.

I always read his posts in my best okoro accent. Lol

PHCN Staff Protest Unpaid Salaries (Pics) / Evil-Forces Working To Derail Nigeria - Jonathan / Daniel Reyenieju: Jibrin Is Right, 2016 Budget Was Padded