Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,064 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

10 Work Skills You Need 2020 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 (2827 Views)

5-technology Based Skills You Can Learn In 5days And Start Earning Good Income. / Promote Your Hand-work/skills For Free / Utilizing My Back To Work Skills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 12:39am On Feb 03, 2012
The Institute for the Future recently released a report of 6 drivers of change and 10 essential skills that will be needed in the next 10 years. I thought this report is really cool because it is a great checklist for yourself to see if your current skills will match with the skills you will need in the 2020 workforce. Currently 40% of companies do not feel confident in the talent they have and are not sure who will lead their company in the future. 70% of recruiters even have a harder time finding the right talent to fill jobs even though we are at our highest rate of unemployment ever. What is more alarming  is the state of our education in Nigeria. I wonder if our universities can properly equip students with the right skills for jobs, let alone jobs for the future. So you may ask how can I learn these skills for my future career? I am a major fan of self education. These skills in this report are not skills that you can easily learn in school, but through proper self research it is more than doable. There are great leadership books out there such as Outliers written by Malcom Gladwell that inform you on how to obtain these skills.  A good portion of these skills require knowledge of technology , and not necessarily being able to write in html code, but in the sense to apply it to your field. The world is becoming more and more competitive so do not wait for the future to be ahead of the pack.

New Media Ecology- being able to use social media to engage people. In the next 10 years everyone will have their own website that talks about skills they have an their expertise in the field.

Globally Connected World- now we have so many ways to talk to people from all over the world. Nigerians are able to connect with Nigerians in the diaspora through Linkedin, twitter, blogs, and facebook

Computational Knowledge- being able to use data and numbers to perform your skills. An example of this is oil companies using the data to produce the right amount of barrels being produced per day.

Social Intelligence- this is the ability to understand the people around you and work with teams. Instead of engaging in office politics, work though the issues to be a more effective team.

http://naijacareerist.com/2011/12/22/10-work-skills-you-will-need-for-2020/

Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 3:06am On Feb 03, 2012
Thought the world was ending this december, 2012?

Or is it 2015?

Nice to know we'll still be here 2020 and beyond.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 3:19am On Feb 03, 2012
Naijacareerist:

Well there are jobs but the issue is the graduates do not have the skills that employers are looking for. Already they are projecting that 60% of the jobs will require 20% of the skills that are available. Schools need to have better prepping programs for students to prepare for positions as well as career development in order to better present yourself in interviews.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 3:22am On Feb 03, 2012
Naijacareerist:

Yes, creativity is very important these days. I work as an HR professional at a research institution and you will be surprised how many applicants we get for one job. Some jobs get thousands of applicants. Realistically your resume will not look any different then the next one. It also is easier for managers to pay attention to a resume they get in front of their face rather then shifting though hundreds of emails. If you want tips about how to make your resume stand out you can go to my transcript that was on twitter today #HireNaijaChat http://tweetreach.com/reports/2431648

Also if you have questions I am more than happy to answer  smiley

AjanleKoko:
Kindly tell us how you can help people develop their skills. I am genuinely curious. Not being sarcastic at all.

How do we acquire these skills?

The a-b-c, please.

Thanks.
[s]btw, i see 4, not 10. Not even on your blog.[/s]
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 4:46am On Feb 03, 2012
Yes I just highlighted a few of them if you go to my blog the link to the full document is there. the document actually is a short ebook that explains all to you how to get these skills. I think one of the best ways is to read books that make you think outside the box. Books like Malcome Gladwell have a wealth of information. Also a book for young graduates called ME 2.0 is a good source !!!
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 4:48am On Feb 03, 2012
I help develop their skills by figuring out what their individual career goals are and then catering a plan to help them obtain their goals. Once you know where you want to go in life, my job is to step in and steer you on the right path.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 9:57am On Feb 03, 2012
^ Thanks. That service sounds like something a lot of people'd be interested in.

You organize/host offline seminars and training workshops?

[s]The Social Media version seems to be out of sync with our youth(s)[/s]
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 4:28pm On Feb 03, 2012
Well sadly, I am still in the US getting my second degree at georgetown. But you actually can do a lot of these training online through skype, gchat, and ect if you are interested you can use my contact and I can help you out.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 4:44pm On Feb 03, 2012
Hmmn. You want to crash their CrackBerries?

I noticed you run something on Twitter 7pm every Thursday.

What other platforms do you use?

Podcasts and webinars wont be so bad.

Guess you can put the link to your Program Schedule in your siggy, when its ready.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 5:34pm On Feb 03, 2012
I actually want to implement those things as well, I have a mac now so it allows me to be more creative. Right now I am going through a re branding of the website to make it more sociable. I am also thinking to moving the career chat it to an earlier time like 2pm GMT so more Nigerians can participate. In the next two months you will see more things !!!
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 5:38pm On Feb 03, 2012
Oh I forgot to mention soon I will have my own radio show on a very popular radio station so stay tuned
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 6:15pm On Feb 03, 2012
Naijacareerist:

Oh I forgot to mention soon I will have my own radio show on a very popular radio station so stay tuned

Naija station? Hope they stream online?

Kudos. We'll stay tuned.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by Naijacareerist: 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2012
Yes its a naija station that streams online !!!
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by yamakuza: 6:53pm On Feb 03, 2012
[s]^ Well, if its not Cool, it will be Inspiration.[/s]

Just wondering how you'll get the audio across.

[s]This is 2012 anyway. Silly me, people do transatlantic collabos.[/s]

Thank God for Angels.
Re: 10 Work Skills You Need 2020 by bluefilm: 12:13pm On Nov 13, 2018
yamakuza:

Thought the world was ending this december, 2012?

Or is it 2015?

Nice to know we'll still be here 2020 and beyond.

You funny. grin

(1) (Reply)

Does School Matter? / Anyone With Information On Wapic Insurance Plc, Ikoyi / How To Pass IT Certification Exams At First Attempt - Find Valid Dumps For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.