Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign (2006 Views)

Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration / Intercontinental Bank And Access Bank Merge? / Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by ogorluv(m): 11:38am On Feb 03, 2012
Following the controversial termination of 1,500 Intercontinental Bank staff, over 1,000 more has resigned, leaving branches devoid of staff and unable to operate. Threatening statements and corporate slavery clauses in the new Access bank management has been cited as the reason for this mass exodus.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by buJu234: 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2012
most bankers are really unwise people;

just imagine:-

u come across millions per day
u come across business men who came to ur bank to burrow money to aid their business,

why not copy those business idea and through ur internal connection burrow those thousands or millions and start a business, while u re still working?

then after 6mths resign and face ur business,

rather than wait until this day? after living fake life of burrowing bank money to buy cars & clothes instead of invest those burrowed money??
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by ogorluv(m): 3:17pm On Feb 03, 2012
It's not that easy, as a banker, the bank can help you buy a car but won't give you a business loan.
But really, bankers do live fake lives.
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by stagger: 3:44pm On Feb 03, 2012
buJu-234:

u come across business men who came to ur bank to burrow money to aid their business,

why not copy those business idea and through ur internal connection burrow those thousands or millions and start a business, while u re still working?

rather than wait until this day? after living fake life of burrowing bank money to buy cars & clothes instead of invest those burrowed money??

If I knew your phone number, I for just wire you MTN recharge now!

Your post is the most sensible post I have seen in recent times. When I was talking in similar lines in the other post, someone said I should stagger to hell.

Though there are a few sharp bankers I know who have been able to use the opportunities you mentioned above, 95% of bankers live beside the proverbial River Niger and yet wash their hands with spittle.
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by afrobaby(f): 4:10pm On Feb 03, 2012
Really, I usually tell my friends and family that i would love to work in a bank, why, cos of the loan, nothing more, nothing less, just get a big loan, open a small shopping mall, and let them deduct the money from ma phone, as soon as it is completed, latest 2 years, off I go. My sister inlaw did a bank medical test and waiting for letter and her siblings are saying she should not go cos of job security, I told her, please go, collect loan, and invest in a good business, just dont have the mind of working with them forever, I wonder when most of them will wise up self, and you know one funny thing, once they sack them, give them 2 months of unemployment, they are already damn broke,
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by kufreabasi(m): 4:38pm On Feb 03, 2012
buJu-234:

You be real business guru. I love your sense. show me the way out guy.
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by keeeem: 1:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
@kufreabasi - Your analysis looks good to someone who is ignorant of the operations of a bank. If that was the way things are, nobody will remain in the industry beyond 2 years. You see people like you who live on the outside think bankers are dumb but that is not the case. Let me paint this scenario for you. A guy saves so hard and starts a biz to be run by close relatives or someone who has the time because you cannot run it by yourself due to your job. The guy running for you takes advantage of you and keeps chopping your money. At the end of it all, you struggle to recoup like 20% if your investment. Meanwhile because of your busy work schedule, days pass into weeks, weeks into months and months into years. By the time you realise this, you are close to 40 or even 40 sef.

Do you know why about 80% of Intercontinental bank staff resigned when Aig promised them severance package if they resign between 28th January and Feb 3rd? It is simply because 80% realised that they are not likely to fair better and would rather take a plunge and run things by themselves. So it is not as easy as you think.

This is my own little way of educating you so that you will be objective next time when commenting on issues like this
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by ogorluv(m): 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2012
@ keeeem. Said with a lot of insight, I could not have said it better.
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by OWOLAYEMO: 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2012
Some bankers  dont live fake life.Some have actually been able to float their own business.
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by smithoo(m): 7:35pm On Feb 05, 2012
These are the issues from my discussion with a close friend;
Access bank set target limits for all Intercontinental Bank staff to be achieved in 6month (nov,2011-april,2012) but was reduced to 2month ending Dec-2011. As such all staff that was not able to meet this target was sacked, 1603 of them.

They were asked to all write a test on credit, failure to achieve the past mark will result to termination of appointment. Note that not all had written the test but most had passed the test. All this are bottleneck to frustrate IB staff out but the test was not serving the purpose,hence inability to achieve set target in 2months was used to terminate appointments.

Be informed that those that did not pass the credit test are still going,if you are able to achieve set target.

Not forgeting that around 1500 trainees/intern bankwide appointments were terminated last wednesday.

My opinion of for the mass resignation;

5yrs or more in IB- You are entitle to gratuity if u leave or stay but not entitle to severance package.

Less than 5yrs in IB- You are entitle to severance package if you are among the professional staff whose appointments was terminated while those still left behind with Access Bank will forfeit severance package and start afresh with 1yr probation period. If for any reason you resign or your appointment terminated, NOTHING FOR YOU.

Other possibilities
IB staff with HND and Bsc from state university might be asked to go.

In my opinion,
Accessbank should have merged IT with Intercontinental bank to ensure customers with both banks can transact business without problems (eg STB/UBA),then mixed staff from both ends to get familiar with each other customers to build confidences but Accessbank was particular about closing branches, possibly send them off(my opinion) and rebranding the remaining IB branches while customers from both ends can not make withdrawals and even deposit is not seamless. I am not happy that IB customers are suffering because of Accessbank inability to manage small issues while exposing IB staff to ridicule. It has never happened in the banking sector for staff to resign enmass. I want to believe Access bank management will be embarrassed with this enmass resignation because they didnt plan for it but they will definately find a way out it using their unjust ways.

IB staff will say PROUDLY INTERCONTINENTAL
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by ogorluv(m): 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2012
Classic case of bush-meat hunting the hunter, employees sacking the employers.

Well done and good job!!!!![color=#990000][/color]

grin grin grin
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by knowledge4(m): 10:12am On Feb 06, 2012
The banking industry is not stable and many of the banks are in trouble of varying dimensions
Tell the bankers to come over to nairaland.com for business ideas they can do to make a living.
There are tons of online and offline business ideas on nairaland.com.
Some sacked bankers leave with nothing in their pockets.
Life goes on anyway even with as little as N5k

The only online business one can really do with N5k is information marketing starting with a free blog.
Check this N5000.00 offline business idea. If N5k is all that you have, you can do business with it if you have a will and grow a big biz from scratch.
where there is a will, there is alwayz a way!
This idea will make money for you on the following conditions:

1)
Do not look down on it as too menial. There is money in many menial jobs we often look down on in Nigeria. Isaac Durojaiye(aka Ghaddafi) of DMT Toilets, is a multimillionaie from disposing human faeces which our forefathers have done in the past and did not get anything from it other than ridicule. He brought creativity into it and he is a success story today.

2)
Do not look at the capital as too small. Nigerians believe that they must have big amounts of capital before a biz can be set up. Dr Sunny Ojeagbase set out with N6500.00 to set up his publishing business at a time when his competitiors were investing millions to set up. His products, Success Digest Newspaper & Complete Sports are thriving today while many multi-million naira publishing outfits have crashed. Today,the man is a huge success story and a huge inspiration to many Nigerians i. Businesses are built not by huge capital. there are much more details to success in business than start up capital.

3)
keep your degree certificates in your box and face the reality. Many are trapped by their certificates thinking that they must work with a certificate in an office to make a living. Office jobs are fewer now, so you need to look elsewhere to make a living. Look beyond your certificates.

4) You must be ready to work hard, stay focussed and persevere, not giving into discouragement.

Moin-Moin is a delicacy prepared from beans. Many people love to eat moin moin usually taken along with rice or garri.  Some restaurants do not sell this delicacy because it is somehow tedious to prepare. If you have N5k as your last card, you can do this business in today's Nigeria even as an unemployed graduate.
  Look for restaurants around you both big and small including Bukas, that are interested in selling moin moin but cannot prepare it or dont have time
  Make a deal with them to be supplying them in small quantities maybe 10,20,30.
  You prepare the moin moin in your kitchen at home, pack them neatly and go supply to the restaurants on daily basis.
  The costing and profit analysis is as follows:
  Materials required are beans, groundnut oil, pepper, seasoning, crayfish, egg, salt. The Yorubas call this 'seven spirits' moi-moi if prepared with seven materials.
  The costs are 

to be continued
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by buJu234: 12:37pm On Feb 07, 2012
@keeeem & ogorluv :-

excuses are the major reasons why the average Nigerian business man fail,

we complain & complains abt problems; meanwhile the Indians & the Lebanese are seeing solution.

With this NEPA/PHCN power problem; yet the indians are still making billions 4rm the Plastic & wevon industry,

men sorry plz wise up,

Just imagine this statement one of u made:-

A guy saves so hard and starts a biz to be run by close relatives or someone who has the time because you cannot run it by yourself due to your job. The guy running for you takes advantage of you and keeps chopping your money.

Businesses world wide dont grow based on family tiles, ok,
if u want to b a successful employer u most knw one golden rule, "BE ABLE TO EMPLOY GUD PERSON & FIRE UNPROFITABLE PEOPLE WITH FEAR OR FAVOUR", ok

cheers men
Re: 1,500 Intercontinental Bank Staff Sacked, Over 1,000 More Resign by ogorluv(m): 4:44pm On Feb 07, 2012
Buju- I am sure you are a big business mogul like Dangote, please employ me na, no excuses!!!!!

Dude, life is not as simple as that, very smart people have run businesses that failed due to circumstances they may have not been able to control, but I am sur your story is different and you run a billion dollar empire, after all, na mama born Dangote.

Regards.

(1) (Reply)

Become A Baba Bets Agent In Your Area / FOR SALE- Security Doors And Bulletproof Doors From Turkey, Israel, Italy & USA / First Bank Is Charging Customers N200 For "Electronic Transfer Levy"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.