Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Clinton Backed By 50% Among Democrats - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Clinton Backed By 50% Among Democrats (801 Views)

Fayose To Mu’azu: Resign, Emulate British LP, Democrats’ Leaders / Nairaland Democrats' Criticisms Of The President-Elect; My (Repentant) Thoughts / Democrat Vs "Democrats: Jonathan(pdp) Vs APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Clinton Backed By 50% Among Democrats by firstborn: 10:16am On Oct 16, 2007
It is getting more likelier that the world most powerfull nation- USA of course is going to have a female president come November 2008. Despite all odds and against perceptions, Hillary Rodham Clinton is pulling all stops on her road to the White house. I know a lot of us blacks and african Americans are rooting for Obama, but i personally think that Hillary will make a better president than Obama. I am not an Obama supporter and i can't support him because he is black. I just honestly think that he is a greenhorn while Hillary has cut her political tooth and has the backing of her husband and former pres Bill Clinton.
Just bumped into this news this morning and decided to share it with my people here.
---------------------------------

WASHINGTON — Presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton for the first time wins the support of 50% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, and she commands the most enthusiastic backing of any contender in either party.
The survey, taken Friday through Sunday, depicts a landscape for 2008 that seems to be moving toward Clinton in particular and Democrats in general. Democratic voters are more committed to and energized by their field of candidates than Republicans are.

POLL RESULTS: Clinton widens lead

"Democrats can count on highly motivated voters who will turn out, and the Republicans will have to create that energy from somewhere over the next year," says Mark Blumenthal, editor of the non-partisan pollster.com. But he cautions on Clinton's positive results: "These perceptions can turn around in a great big hurry if you lose an early primary."

At least for now, though, the news is almost all good for Clinton.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Democrats | Republicans | GOP | Democrat | John McCain | Rudy Giuliani | Hillary Rodham Clinton | Obama | Fred Thompson | Gallup Poll | Gallup
She continues to widen her lead over rival Barack Obama, now 50%-21%, her biggest edge since spring. Former North Carolina senator John Edwards is at 13%. What's more, two-thirds of Clinton's supporters say they are "certain to support" her.

Fewer than half of the supporters of any other candidate in either party are firmly committed.

For Clinton, reaching the threshold of 50% support may have some value. Only once has a presidential candidate received as much as 50% support in a Gallup Poll and then gone on to lose his party's nomination. That was Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy in 1980.

"Some of the other campaigns have tried negative strategies that have backfired while she has continued to be out there saying where she wants to take the country," says Mark Penn, Clinton's chief strategist. Obama has sharpened his criticism of Clinton's judgment in voting to authorize the Iraq invasion in 2002, and Edwards has faulted her recent vote to designate Iran's Revolutionary Guards as a terrorist organization.

Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani continues to lead the GOP field at 32%. Former Tennessee senator Fred Thompson has 18%, Arizona Sen. John McCain 14%, and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney 10%.

Still, 53% of Republicans say they "might change their mind" about which candidate to support.

In the survey, Democrats benefit from an enthusiasm gap. Regardless of whom they support, 64% of Democrats say they would "enthusiastically" vote for Clinton as the nominee; 49% say that of Obama. In the GOP, 51% would enthusiastically back Giuliani, 38% McCain, 37% Thompson and 25% Romney.

Meanwhile, the survey found that winning the Nobel Peace Prize apparently doesn't bring a political bounce. While 48% of Democrats say they would like Nobel laureate Al Gore to run for president, that's 8 percentage points lower than in March. When his name is included in the horse race, the former vice president finishes third, behind Clinton and Obama.
Re: Clinton Backed By 50% Among Democrats by wed123(m): 10:59pm On Oct 16, 2007
Hillary Flipflop Clinton (part I)

On October 10, 2002, Clinton spoke to the Senate in favor of a use-of-force resolution authorizing the invasion of Iraq, saying: "The facts that have brought us to this fateful vote are not in doubt

On December 15, 2003, when it was clear there were no large stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Clinton’s support was unwavering. "I was one who supported giving President Bush the authority, if necessary, to use force,” she told the Council on Foreign Relations. "We have no option but to stay involved and committed.

On April 20, 2004, Clinton told CNN’s Larry King that she did not "regret giving the president the authority,” noting that Saddam Hussein "had been a real problem for the international community for more than a decade

January 27, 2007, Clinton hit the campaign trail in Iowa and demanded that the president "extricate our country from this before he leaves office.”

Her bashing of the Bush administration and belated anti-war stance has gained speed since then

What is troubling about Mrs. Clinton’s record on Iraq is that it tends to follow, rather than lead, public opinion . . .
The question to be asked is whether this is the kind of stalwart drift that Mrs. Clinton would bring to the Oval Office?

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Politician Road / How Can We Solve The Niger Delta Problem:lets Reason Together / Operation: Positive Nigerian Image - Join The Revolution Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.