Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? (6043 Views)

Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades. / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by maclatunji: 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2012
I am of the opinion that a disproportionately large number of Nigerians living outside the country do not really understand the current state of the country. They tend to have the same image of the country they left behind embedded in their minds, it could be for good or bad but may not be realistic.

Do you agree with this opinion? How often do you visit Nigeria and what impressions do you get when you do? Do those impressions match your perceptions whilst you were outside the country?
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by efisher(m): 5:02pm On Feb 03, 2012
On the contrary, I think many of them even have a clearer view than those in the country. Whenever I'm outside 9ja, I tend to know more about the happenings in 9ja than my friends / family back home!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by maclatunji: 5:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
efisher:

On the contrary, I think many of them even have a clearer view than those in the country. Whenever I'm outside 9ja, I tend to know more about the happenings in 9ja than my friends / family back home!

You should check your contacts in Nigeria again then.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Arosa(m): 5:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
efisher:

I agree with you.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Beaf: 6:02pm On Feb 03, 2012
efisher:

I largely agree with this.

Nigerians who have spent periods in the developed World (even if only holidays) have been exposed to the levels of organisation that would mystify the average person that has not yet been priviledged to travel.
It is this set that tends to quickly grasp that Nigeria's real problem is chaos, not corruption. They appreciate the organisational gaps in Nigeria much better and realise that simply applying patches will not solve the problem.
On the other hand, those of us at home are more given to prayer and adhoc methods to patch leaks in the system.

Experience of the orhanisational culture in developed climes does not make one a better Nigerian, though. Examples of thoroughly useless people abound that spent considerable lengths of time abroad, only to return as the biggest thieves and scam artists, eg Ibori, Ikuforiji and Tinubu.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by otokx(m): 6:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
Unfortunately, there is a disconnect in many.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 6:15pm On Feb 03, 2012
ROFLMAO!!!

This question is being asked by one of the minds on Nairaland that happens to be disconnected from much of reality around him .  grin grin grin grin

P.S. Don't bother attacking me in response . . .  I am simply stating an observation and wondering if the question even needs to be entertained since there does not seem to be much substance to the opinion other than what resides in the @OPs minds on diasporans.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 6:32pm On Feb 03, 2012
I think some Diasporans even know more about Nigeria than those at home self

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Feb 03, 2012
dayokanu:

I think some Diasporans even know more about Nigeria than those at home self

I mean these make up the majority and remains the reason why the politicians, even during elections, fly abroad to gather support and lavish those abroad with 'stolen' loot. Last year alone, I read that Nigerian spenders(I am gonna guess many of em were politicians) broke record in places like the UK.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by maclatunji: 7:38pm On Feb 03, 2012
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!!

This question is being asked by one of the minds on Nairaland that happens to be disconnected from much of reality around him .  grin grin grin grin

P.S. Don't bother attacking me in response . . .  I am simply stating an observation and wondering if the question even needs to be entertained since there does not seem to be much substance to the opinion other than what resides in the @OPs minds on diasporans.

Attention seeker, I always knew I was disconnected from reality but was looking for someone to tell me, now I found Kobojunkie!

@all, I know this topic is in the politics section but it is not just limited to politics. Life in general, the economy, infrastructure, prices of goods and services, even your family. These are things I am interested in talking about.

Irrespective of what Kobojunkie may say, some analysis I hear or read from Nigerians in diaspora is just funny like crazy and has little to do with reality on ground.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 9:09pm On Feb 03, 2012
There is a lot of data, most of it not official, to show that show that Nigerians and groups abroad have a better grasp of the reality in Nigeria, than the average Nigerian walking the streets and living in that same country. Wiki for instance revealed that even the American government knows a lot more about Nigeria than many of our own politicians do.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Lasinoh: 9:18pm On Feb 03, 2012
Especially all these illegal jail-birds living abroad that can't go home to visit for yeeeears!!!!
Or those driving taxis or selling Mary-Kay products from their portmanteaus without paying taxes, while using their relatives SSN #s to get menial jobs as employment. grin
I am very well-connected with my African socio-economic radars like my good Americans would do.
Just keeping an eye on triffling niggers as always for the free oil we keep getting from their reetarded azzzes! kiss

All for entertainment! kiss
Nigerian affairs only serve as yacker-trackers(to make noise only).

Absuloutely NOTHING to write home about. I am not missing ANYTHING.
God bless my USA!!!!! cool
No vested interest in such unproductive matters.
Connected, but absolutely disinterested. Strictly for free education and cheap entertainment.

Only DEPORTEE failures run back to Nigeria to dabble in such things!

Ooooops! I forgot. wink They ALL love Nigeria. Ha!!!!!!

Like "Reuben Yoruba" of course!!!!

Mu he he he he he he he
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by mrmayor(m): 9:49pm On Feb 03, 2012
efisher:

While it is true that you tend to Know what is Happening mostly from your easy access to  more information and you can post more on NL, there is however a world of Difference between[size=13pt] Knowing[/size] and [size=13pt]Experiencing. [/size]

A typical example is Knowing what is happening in your Village and actually Living and Experiencing the events in your Village.

Kobojunkie:

There is a lot of data, most of it not official, to show that show that [b]Nigerians and groups abroad have a better grasp of the reality in Nigeria, [/b]than the average Nigerian walking the streets and living in that same country. Wiki for instance revealed that even the American government knows a lot more about Nigeria than many of our own politicians do.

Ok, granted you have better Data but the average Nigerian has a better grasp of the Nigerian Reality.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 10:01pm On Feb 03, 2012
mrmayor:

Ok, granted you have better Data but the average Nigerian has a better grasp of the Nigerian Reality.

That can be easily debated as a brief poll of those who live in Nigeria and voted in the current administrations, shows time and time again that the majority had no real idea of their candidates resume except for what they were fed by the candidates themselves and by their campaigners, while those outside of Nigeria, who could have still voted the same administration, had more insight into the administrations resume but chose to vote out of sympathy or ethnic lines. There is that "I didn't know" coming more from those who live in Nigeria than from those who do not(so do not assume I am in some way suggesting that those abroad are somehow better as a result of all that information than those back in Nigeria).

Having a better grasp of poverty or daily living in Nigeria, AS IT PERTAINS TO SELF, is different from having a better grasp of reality of Nigeria as a whole. We have many of the obnoxious kinds who assume that because they can spend money on cell phones and phone cards EQUALS all Nigerians can afford cell phones and phone cards. These people find it really hard to grasp that there are many more millions of Nigerians out there who cannot afford cell phones, let alone phone cards.

So I get what you are trying to claim but it does not work at all.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by efisher(m): 4:00am On Feb 04, 2012
A little analogy: those who go to the moon have a clearer view of the earth than those who live on the earth.

Most Nigerians in Nigeria can only relate with the little events that happen in their towns / villages. On top of that, where is the electricity to even watch the local news?

Another thing that makes the view clearer from ouside Nigeria is the fact that when you go out to see how things work, you can then appreciate how terrible the Nigerian situation is. That's when you can know why Nigeria is not working and ideas can be birthed to tackle these
problems we face.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by MarcAnthon(m): 4:19am On Feb 04, 2012
I disagree OP. I have never been any more interested in Nigeria than I've been since I left home. Everyday I wish the things I see here can be replicated back home. I have also never been angrier at our politicians than I've been cos they travel all the time, been everywhere and seen how things are done elsewhere yet their selfishness and greed haven't allowed them to do same for our own countrymen when they literally have the power to.

My facebook friends, even those back home, get news of goings-on in Nigeria from my posts. As they say, I have my ears to the ground. May not be the same for everyone, but most of my Nigerian friends here are exactly like me.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2012
Abomination! and at OP,no 'control number' for you this month. . .for daring to think this way.lets see how you'd survive without hand-outs.
LOL

@OP,You need to take a peek at WU,Moneygram,money system spreadsheet. . .atleast their pockets is still very much connected to/concerened with Nigeria.

Seriously,I think not @ Topic.The good life enjoyed outside Nigeria makes it even hard not to be geninuely concerned.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 9:02am On Feb 04, 2012
The question is - who cares if they are connected or disconnected? There is this adage in Yoruba that says in English - "Oyingbo market doesnt know and doesnt care if anyone came to trade or not.

Why should Nigeria bother if any is connected or disconnected. OP, you are just giving opportunity to the so called Diasporians to continue to feel relevant and of course, continue to justify their reason for leaving this "hell hole" and chosing to become a Nigerian American or a British Nigerian. Mu hehehehe. But then, what has their connection brought to Nigeria?

All my ten years abroad - I agree with you _ I was disconncted so much that when I came back - I wouldnt even recognise mobile phone numbers, or difference between pounds and Nigeria Naira. Mu hehehehehe. But thank God I came back.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Lasinoh: 9:23am On Feb 04, 2012
Mu he he he he he he he
I ba re Jesu!!!! Mo ju ba re o. . . .I ba reeeee!!!!! cool
I pray for permanent disconnection. Iseeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
See as our oga just declare bonus check for every body this week?
For a job well done!
Everyone got a 2% raise.
Wetin dey to connect with Nigeria?
Poverty!!!

Tufiakwa!!!!
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by maclatunji: 9:35am On Feb 04, 2012
werepeLeri:

The question is - who cares if they are connected or disconnected? There is this adage in Yoruba that says in English - "Oyingbo market doesnt know and doesnt care if anyone came to trade or not.

Why should Nigeria bother if any is connected or disconnected. OP, you are just giving opportunity to the so called Diasporians to continue to feel relevant and of course, continue to justify their reason for leaving this "hell hole" and chosing to become a Nigerian American or a British Nigerian. Mu hehehehe. But then, what has their connection brought to Nigeria?

All my ten years abroad - I agree with you _ I was disconncted so much that when I came back - I wouldnt even recognise mobile phone numbers, or difference between pounds and Nigeria Naira. Mu hehehehehe. But thank God I came back.

This is very funny and why are you so angry?

@Ifyalways. If I was receiving remittances I would probably not have created this topic- LOL. I have a relative in diaspora who when he talks on phone, I can't help but wonder: 'Does he know what he is talking about at all'?
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by freecocoa(f): 9:38am On Feb 04, 2012
Oh well IMO especially with what we read here on NL,many seem to be connected and a larger many are over disconnected,they just come here writing like people who are from another planet.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 9:43am On Feb 04, 2012
maclatunji:

This is very funny and why are you so angry?

@Ifyalways. If I was receiving remittances I would probably not have created this topic- LOL. I have a relative in diaspora who when he talks on phone, I can't help but wonder: 'Does he know what he is talking about at all'?

Oh boy - if you see some of the people who yearn the most dust here, you will never touch them with a 100 metre pole. They are so fake and their life is the opposite of what they come online to spew. Rubbish - as if not be d same diaspora wey we don tour finish and come back to the same Nigeria for better things.

Mu hehehehhehe.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by razznaija(f): 9:46am On Feb 04, 2012
efisher:

I agree with you.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by hustla242: 9:47am On Feb 04, 2012
I have to be honest, I do feel disconnected to an extent. The fact that I get all the "gists" doesn't really count for as much a being on ground to feel what people are going through- even though I'm in Nigeria quite often throughout the year.

Most of us sit home comfortably and suggest solutions that are theoretically perfect but trust me when you go on ground and see for yourself it's a completely different ball game, talk less of living there.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Ufeolorun(m): 10:02am On Feb 04, 2012
@Werepeleri,
You were out for years,I have been for almost same period now and I am seriously considering coming home or Ghana to settle but I get this feeling I won't fit in and will have to run back which I don't want to happen.
How did it feel living in Nigeria after a decade outside.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by jmaine: 10:03am On Feb 04, 2012
Me i vote yes . .a good number are disconnected especially the old guard . .
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by jossy26: 10:06am On Feb 04, 2012
Who cares if they are connected or not, after all, many have been there for years and understand perfectly well the ills Nigeria is facing today, yet, they have got nothing to do to it. So please stay put and enjoy ur diaspora
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 10:19am On Feb 04, 2012
Ufeolorun:

@Werepeleri,
You were out for years,I have been for almost same period now and I am seriously considering coming home or Ghana to settle but I get this feeling I won't fit in and will have to run back which I don't want to happen.
How did it feel living in Nigeria after a decade outside.

Still feels great - in fact greater. You just have to keep it in mid that we all grew up in the same "hell hole", why should ten years outside make you anything different from who you were before travelling? Bros- I use to go and come, setting up businesses in Lagos and Abuja, like every three to four months, but its been almost a year and I have never even thought of going outside for any reason.

I think it is just the mindset, if you already told yourself you cant get used to no light, bad environment, no burgers, etc etc - then you will want to run back - but if you take it that all those is part of the Naija life - you will pull thru. No place like home.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by SNCOQ3(m): 10:29am On Feb 04, 2012
In my opinion, most patriotic Nigerians in diaspora understands Nigeria better than those of us inside.

This is my argument:
1. those left as adults have experienced [/b]Nigeria.

2. since they now live outside Nigeria, they can [b]know
Nigeria more objectively than those of us inside - according to Albert Einsten: you can only   understand something objectively when you're outside of it not in it (paraphrased)

3. Since they're experiencing life in other society where things work, they have the power of comparative analysis to assess Nigeria based on certain standards
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by Ufeolorun(m): 10:55am On Feb 04, 2012
Werepeleri,
Just wondering,really.I don't expect everything to fall right out of the sky and neither do I have that massive sense of entitlement we often see with some of us outside.

Burger ke? I can't remember the last time I had one cos It sometimes give me indigestion but I will miss Wasabi,Itsu,Miso,Abokado,pret,greggs lol!
Thanks anyway.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by eghost247(m): 12:31pm On Feb 04, 2012
depends on how long that person lived in Nigeria before moving abroad or put it like this its by choice a vast majority choose to be disconnected from Nigeria,f
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? by member479760: 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2012
Yes but the homeless are not connected thanks to their dead hero.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijaw Youths: We’re Ready For Dissolution / Hillarious(photo): Sick Child Negotiates With Doctors Over Injection / Alleged Humiliation Of Osinbajo In Ondo State: Debunking PDP And IPOB Lies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.