Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Marrying Without Parental Consent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marrying Without Parental Consent (4718 Views)

35yrs Old Still Seeking Parental Consent / Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying Without Parental Consent by mondaydada(m): 8:37pm On Feb 04, 2012
i meet a man who propose to me last year May, and as a child of God i told him to allow me to pray and after my prayer i recieved that he is the right man for man life through Biblical refrences, the man is physically challenge but he has his own Job. i went home to discussed with my parent July 2011, parent refused to give thier consent that it is a thing of disgrace for them to see me marrying a man who is "DISABLE" since that time i had been trying to talk to them about my conviction about the man but my parent stood thier ground on NO. now i decided to go for registry with the man becouse i know it is the will of God for me to mary the man. please i need your advice
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by wesley80(m): 8:59pm On Feb 04, 2012
Eh yah. Stories that touch.
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by Acidosis(m): 9:24pm On Feb 04, 2012
Talk to your pastor 'bout it. There are many unbelievers here on nairaland.
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by moremi2008(m): 9:55pm On Feb 04, 2012
Are you sure you heard from God or you heard from your own emotions? I think marrying a man against your parents' wishes is dangerous, with only a few exceptions. Marrying a man your family doesn't approve of would isolate you and starve you of resources you're going to need as a new bride/mother because you would have a much smaller pool of people to reach out to for advice/counselling on your marriage and on childcare. It would also leave you in a very precarious situation if the marriage develops hiccups (and most do). Who will you call on when this happens? Besides, the man you marry outside your parents consent will become your lord and master. He will be free to do with you as he pleases since he got you for free and he isn't accountable to anybody for your welfare. Why are you so desperate? Are you on the older side?

The reasons your parents have given are a bit short-sighted. What kind of disability are we talking about? Is the man able to work? Does he require expensive and time-consuming care? If yes, can he afford the care he needs with a lot left over to support a young family? Is the disability genetic? Will your future kids run the risk of being disabled too? I suspect that your parents have other reasons for not blessing the union (lots of disabled men get married to beautiful brides every year with the bride's family in FULL consent!)

I seriously doubt that a man that is willing to take you to a registry against your parents' wishes has good intentions for you. You were raised with great care and aren't supposed to be picked-off randomly in the streets! Don't sell yourself short!!! And don't sign-up yourself for a life of misery and regret. Please go back to your pastor and reconfirm if this is indeed what God is saying. If you get a re-confirmation, then you need to go back to God to change your parents' mind, after all, He holds the hearts of kings in his hands! If this man is indeed God's will for you, God will bring your parents around to support and bless the marriage. Good luck oh!
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by eddy1977(m): 7:22am On Feb 05, 2012
for the long term health of your relationship with your folks,it would be better for you to be patient and wise.since you sound more religious,you may consider praying for them so that your God may soften their heart.
your folks love you.dont rush into marriage.if you and ur guy truly love each other,then wait.dont be selfish and haughty.
good luck
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by Nobody: 6:16am On Feb 06, 2012
Is it a g[i]a[/i]y marriage? cheesy
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by tessybaby(f): 8:07am On Feb 06, 2012
what about the man's family?
are they supportive of the marraige.
I would not go against my parent's advice
but mind you i would keep on pressurizing them for
their consent
being physically challenged does not mean
he is not man enough
and dats not enough reason for them to say
NO

Keep on praying gurl
i feel ur pains
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by room702(m): 1:36pm On Feb 06, 2012
Acidosis:

Talk to your pastor 'bout it. There are many unbelievers here on nairaland.
^^^ wrong advice

eddy1977:

for the long term health of your relationship with your folks,it would be better for you to be patient and wise.since you sound more religious,you may consider praying for them so that your God may soften their heart.
your folks love you.dont rush into marriage.if you and ur guy truly love each other,then wait.dont be selfish and haughty.
good luck

^^^ this is more like the right advice for her
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by iaabc(f): 2:00pm On Feb 06, 2012
sorry about your predicament. Marrying against your parents' wishes is not really advisable because if something goes wrong somewhere down the line, where will you run to? I would wait and pray for them to come around and not go against their wishes. And like someone said, anyone who would make you go against your parents may not have your total best interest at heart. He should rather be working hard towards making them come around.
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by Confilass: 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2012
As long as u prayed and God revealed it to u. Pray and God will touch ur parents heart to agree for u to marry him. Pls don't be in a hurry to make a lifetime decision.
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by oluite(f): 10:54am On Feb 10, 2012
But arent you a man? undecided
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by iaabc(f): 12:29pm On Feb 13, 2012
^^^wahala!
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by Ifyugwu: 7:43pm On Apr 06, 2012
My dear dont even try it cos i did that 3 years ago and i'm really regreting it big time.Dont be blinded by his lovely behaviours now cos he will eventually change wen he marries u
Re: Marrying Without Parental Consent by knowledge4(m): 10:49am On Apr 11, 2012
Going to the registry in that manner is defiance to parental authority.
You mean you will go to registry without your parents in attendance or their representative? What an affront?
Those who have sidelined their parents in matters of marriage have always lived to regret it.
Don't you know that if your parents place a curse on you on this ground, it will stick and God will uphold it?
Parental consent is a must,it is essential in marriage.
You must be patient till they accept your proposal.
You have to pray for God to soften their heart and make them see reason.
If God has approved of him for you,then be patient for God to conclude what he has started.
Why are you rushing? It is a disobedience to God if you marry a man against your parents' consent.
If you are a christian,start praying about it and seek counsel in the counseling unit of a bible believing ministry.
Read the Bible from Genesis.When God created a highway across the Red Sea for the Isrealites, he did not tell them that there were other obstacles at Marah,Jericho and other locations on their way to the Promised Land.That God has shown you your husband does not mean that you will not have challenges in the way.You will have them plenty but you have to confront them through the same God.
Trust in the Lord, do not lean on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6)
That is my sincere christian advice for you based on Scripture(The Bible)The truth of the bible is always bitter but we shall be judged by it.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Your Gist Partner / The Best Position For A Washing Machine In A Home / I Have No Money, Not Even To Eat. Edit: Got a Job now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.