Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,586 members, 7,823,546 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Tips To Stay Awake While Studying - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tips To Stay Awake While Studying (134035 Views)

Easy Ways To Stay Awake While Studying At Night (FOR STUDENTS) / How To Stay Awake While Reading / Easiest Ways To Stay Awake While Studying At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by routik(m): 4:25pm On Feb 11, 2012
@OP, you're have done well.
Lastpage!!! i love your comment. can you elaborate more on:
One hour sleep can keep you refresh for the next 6hours
?

as for this:
Get plenty of sleep, skip T.V or Browsing the internet (Social Browsing as against academic browsing). Skip Nairaland as well!

it requires self discipline.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by 3pleA3: 10:34pm On Feb 11, 2012
take a very light dinner and have it before 8pm, then set your alarm. it work 4 me. heavy food makes u weak and lazy.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by FEMARY1: 11:24am On Feb 12, 2012
Good suggestions .i will try one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by lastpage: 12:27am On Feb 13, 2012
@routik:
Sleep, when it comes, is worse than being drugged!

There are two kinds of sleep:
1.) The natural sleep your body requires on a daily basis, It has nothing to do with the amount of work you did that day.
2.) Sleep resulting from tiredness.

For (1), you can fob it off to a large extent and that is why l always advise that if you want to read in the evenings, dont stress yourself too much in the day time. Though, a "little" (very mild) exercise can increase blood circulation to our brain and thus make you alert, but if you cross the line, you will fall into stage 2 above.

If you are tired (as a result of work, physical or mental exhaustion) and sleep comes, no amount of Coffee, cold shower or Red Bull, will help you.
I speak from experience.
During my University days, l love to do sports (football and table Tennis) and will then try to read at night also.
When l am feeling sleepy, l have experimented with many types of stimulant.

The most potent (and equally dangerous!) one is this:
*I use Cola (Oobi in Yoruba, that very bitter fruit that Huasas call Gworo! grin). It is bitter and can color your teeth Orange! grin Both of these things l really detest but it also have chemical constituents that are stimulating!

*So, l devised a way of getting what l want by slicing the Gworo into small bits and them soaking the bits in "warm water" to extract the stimulant. This is what l will drink and l am off to class for "Rigor".
It can keep you awake all night but two things will follow:

1) You will not remember 90% of what you read all night! shocked shocked
2) It will induce a pounding headache, the size of a Caterpillar, in your head! grin grin
E fit make son of man crase sef! wink

Eventually, l stopped using the tactics because its not worth the headache.
I resorted to long term, early, daily, steady and continuous study. Thats the best thing to do.

Again, later in life (at work), l've noticed that l always feel sleepy after break-time (which coincides with after eating as l dont eat breakfast at all)
When this kind of sleep comes, its like "a drug", no matter what l do, l can be working and hiting my head against a Keyboard! It will never go away until l sleep! angry

Being work hours, l have devised a means of locking myself up in my office (and setting the alarm), even for 30mins, (of-course, l went to the toilet! grin ) and l have noticed that l feel very strong and healthy afterwards. So, when sleep comes, l excuse myself for even ten minutes and when l am back, l am usually better and more focused!. Later in life now, l also encourage anyone who works for me, to get a nap of like 20mins, every afternoon. Even a s a kid, we were encouraged to get "siesta" sleep, after school.

I even read that in Japan (where worker productivity is highest world over), employers have also identified the advantage of this method and have thus created "rest rooms" within the office floors where every worker is expected to sleep (or close his eyes and pretend to sleep) for a few minutes during break time. Research by the Japanese said that productivity more than tripled for workers who took this "sleep time", compared to those who did not.

You can give it a try, but ensure you have an alarm set so you dont sleep off (and note that if you over-work yourself, it wont work for you as your body is just too tired and needs the"rest" for repairs.

Cheers,

Lastpage!
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by routik(m): 8:37am On Feb 13, 2012
@lastpage

I really appreciate the time you took to explain in details coupled with your personal experience.

In my own case, after i return from work, i become so tired to the extent of dozing while reading a book or browsing.

i have been looking for ways to tackle this issue, it think with all the key points mentioned here, I'll work out something.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by jgatherer(m): 11:14am On Feb 13, 2012
Health is wealth don't spend ur health in search of wealth cos in d end ur wealth myt nt improve ur health.knw ur self

(1) (2) (Reply)

Covenant University 2015/2016 Session Aspirants Lets Meet Here / OAU Admission For The Year 2011/2012 / 2014/2015 Direct Entry Admission, University Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.