Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140331 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 29, 2012
Lekel:

@Elpieda,
Thanks for your post on taxes!! That was brilliantly written.

Do you mind answering this - What's the issue with filing as a Resident alien for tax purposes before 5 years in the US on F-1 visa? I'll really appreciate hearing more from you.

That would be fraud. You would be claiming tax breaks that are only available to residents/citizens.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by deevick246(m): 7:37pm On Feb 29, 2012
davidylan:

That would be fraud. You would be claiming tax breaks that are only available to residents/citizens.

Davidylan,

You are doing a great job here bros. Can we chat on YIM?. I guess we have already added eachother on YIM.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 29, 2012
deevick246:

Davidylan,

You are doing a great job here bros. Can we chat on YIM?. I guess we have already added eachother on YIM.

thanks bro. yes i have you added but i cant chat from my work computer. Sorry.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Lekel(m): 10:05pm On Feb 29, 2012
davidylan:

@Davidylan, Is that still the case if am married to a citizen or Permanent resident?

Apologies for not be very clear with the earlier post.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 29, 2012
Lekel:

@Davidylan, Is that still the case if am married to a citizen or Permanent resident?

Apologies for not be very clear with the earlier post.

if you are married to a citizen then you should have already obtained your green card and should not be filing as an F1 visa holder.
If married to a PR then it depends on whether your petition has been approved or not.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Lekel(m): 1:32am On Mar 01, 2012
@Davidylan, Do you mind mind if we chat further about this? If you can give me your email i'll appreciate it. thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 2:01am On Mar 01, 2012
davidylan@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Lekel(m): 3:13am On Mar 02, 2012
I called IRS today and after over a 1-hour wait, and having to answer tons of questions, I was able to confirm that: though I am regarded as non-resident based on the under-5-year rule, I can actually file as Resident for Tax Purposes as I'm filing jointly with my spouse who's a Legal Permanent Residence. All I simply need to do is to include a statement saying am opting to file as such.

Thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 4:13am On Mar 02, 2012
Lekel:

I called IRS today and after over a 1-hour wait, and having to answer tons of questions, I was able to confirm that: though I am regarded as non-resident based on the under-5-year rule, I can actually file as Resident for Tax Purposes as I'm filing jointly with my spouse who's a Legal Permanent Residence. All I simply need to do is to include a statement saying am opting to file as such.

Thanks

Works since you are both filing jointly, if you were filing singly then you would have had to use the 1040NR. Best of luck.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 7:28am On Mar 03, 2012
Pls if anybody know or have internship opportunities, pls post here. Thanks.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by mysterysng: 7:46am On Mar 03, 2012
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by obowunmi(m): 10:07am On Mar 03, 2012
Where are the single smart Nigerian men located?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 11:36am On Mar 03, 2012
^^^^.
I'm single, but I don't know if I'm smart. cheesy
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 2:58pm On Mar 03, 2012
@house ,
@Davidlan

I was awarded a scholarship giving me 50% off tuition incuding boarding and food , book as well , but the school also allow forst year student internation to stay off campus if they want to , so now my question is if i decided to stay off campus will my scholarship fund that is meant for boarding and food be added to my tuitioin or how can make use of that fund that is going to be to my benefit , cos am planning to stay off campus .

i patiently wait for your Perusal

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 10:58pm On Mar 04, 2012
@ davidylan, Elpeida et al, here's my issue/concern:

I got a form 1098T stating how much I paid in fees for 2011, now here's the thing: I have not been able to get an employment so far(omo the thing hard no be small), therefore I have not worked or paid any income taxes. How does this apply to me, am I supposed to still fill taxes? and if yes, how do I go about it?

N.B: the 1098T is still with me.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:19am On Mar 05, 2012
OzReal:

@ davidylan, Elpeida et al, here's my issue/concern:

I got a form 1098T stating how much I paid in fees for 2011, now here's the thing: I have not been able to get an employment so far(omo the thing hard no be small), therefore I have not worked or paid any income taxes. How does this apply to me, am I supposed to still fill taxes? and if yes, how do I go about it?

N.B: the 1098T is still with me.

Keep it for your records. You dont have any taxes to file since you didnt have employment.

rowlandoo:

@house ,
@Davidlan

I was awarded a scholarship giving me 50% off tuition incuding boarding and food , book as well , but the school also allow forst year student internation to stay off campus if they want to , so now my question is if i decided to stay off campus will my scholarship fund that is meant for boarding and food be added to my tuitioin or how can make use of that fund that is going to be to my benefit , cos am planning to stay off campus .

i patiently wait for your Perusal

Unlike naija, that money isnt going to you so you're better off staying in student housing already paid for by your scholarship.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by cfours: 5:49am On Mar 05, 2012
davidylan:

Unlike naija, that money isnt going to you so you're better off staying in student housing already paid for by your scholarship.

depends on the type of scholarship. students in many schools get their room and board fin-aid/scholarship money in cash if they move off campus. especially if the scholarship is covering room and board rather than strictly tuition.

most typically put it towards their tuition or otherwise use it for shopping grin
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:56am On Mar 05, 2012
c.fours:

depends on the type of scholarship. students in many schools get their room and board fin-aid/scholarship money in cash if they move off campus. especially if the scholarship is covering room and board rather than strictly tuition.

most typically put it towards their tuition or otherwise use it for shopping grin

You're confusing a scholarship with financial aid. Since a scholarship is money you dont pay back, it is usually never made out to the student but directly to the program for which it is intended. A financial aid is a loan, just like home equity you are free to cash it when you want to do whatever you want with it.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 12:34am On Mar 06, 2012
c.fours:

This is the main reason why such isn't given out to the beneficiary.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 9:12pm On Mar 06, 2012
What can i do with internationl student grant too

house rescue me
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 9:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
davidylan:

Keep it for your records. You dont have any taxes to file since you didnt have employment.

Thanks.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Can2012: 10:14am On Mar 07, 2012
People help ooo.

Is it that everybody on the US and Canada threads have all of the ridiculous amounts that the schools and consulates are looking for? I know we aren't all Adenuga's children and plenty people would have been in my shoes in the past who ae currently abroad.

Guys I need to leave for either US or Canada this year but lack all of that money that is required. If there's anybody who can help with information on scholarships and sponsorship, please HELP me.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Uzodynmah: 8:27am On Mar 08, 2012
@Ozreal, Pls drop ur email. I would like to contact you.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 11:28am On Mar 08, 2012
^^^
What's up? contact me at oforozi@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 09, 2012
Can2012:

People help ooo.

Is it that everybody on the US and Canada threads have all of the ridiculous amounts that the schools and consulates are looking for? I know we aren't all Adenuga's children and plenty people would have been in my shoes in the past who ae currently abroad.

Guys I need to leave for either US or Canada this year but lack all of that money that is required. If there's anybody who can help with information on scholarships and sponsorship, please HELP me.

the time taken to type the above exhibition of pathological laziness and intellectual dhimmitude = time required to do your own research.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 2:38am On Mar 09, 2012
davidylan:

the time taken to type the above exhibition of pathological laziness and intellectual dhimmitude = time required to do your own research.

As if you know my reply to him on the other thread.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by KayDee4: 4:56am On Mar 09, 2012
Can2012:

People help ooo.

Have you applied to any school for admission and scholarship ? You can always get information about scholarships and financial aid from the school's and departmental website (use the www.). Its okay to ask questions but you have to do your basic homework first, if you're having a problem with a complex problem, then come back and ask for tips and advice.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Can2012: 11:22am On Mar 09, 2012
davidylan:

You, my dear, are a pompous retardeed foool you don't get to judge me as lazy if you haven't taken a walk in my shoes. Not everyone is blessed with first class brains or parents abroad. Assshole.

Kay-Dee:

Have you applied to any school for admission and scholarship ? You can always get information about scholarships and financial aid from the school's and departmental website (use the www.). Its okay to ask questions but you have to do your basic homework first, if you're having a problem with a complex problem, then come back and ask for tips and advice.

And also Imperiouxxx

Thank you for your response (imperiouxxx on the other thread too). I've been on this issue for more than a year now and also have a lot of correspondence with a good number of schools. Gained admission to some schools last year but none with good enough scholarship. I decided to take a chance even with all the comments on the Student visa thread against poor finance, to cut a long story short = Visa denied.

It's possible I'm looking in all the wrong places and that's why I decided to register and make the request. Just want to believe there must have been someone else in my shoes in the past. I actually gave up on this whole US dream after the last denial but truth be told, seeing my friend leave this country for masters in Wales and another for the US (I introduced him to the student's visa thread and he's an active poster on there) woke me back up and he raised my spirit to make me believe it can be done.

I'm not asking for anybody's father's money, just information if there is any to be given. The things you guys suggested, I've done in the past and already started again.
I couldn't take the GMAT because of funds but been saving and I hope to register by the end of this month.
By the time everything falls into place according to my calculations, all deadlines for fall would have long passed in every school (a lot have passed already).

I'm still pressing on and also ask AGAIN if any one has any information, please share. If it's all to sacred to be shared, too bad then. It'll all work out in the end, that much I know.
Thank you for your response.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 11:52am On Mar 09, 2012
please house anyone with idea of how good to get an homestay, AND also can i turn my international student grant meant for my boarding nd feeding toward my tuition , if i decided to stay with homestay families off campus .

thanks all advice and tips is highly appreciated .
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2012
Can2012:

Thank you for your response (imperiouxxx on the other thread too). I've been on this issue for more than a year now and also have a lot of correspondence with a good number of schools. Gained admission to some schools last year but none with good enough scholarship. I decided to take a chance even with all the comments on the Student visa thread against poor finance, to cut a long story short = Visa denied.

It's possible I'm looking in all the wrong places and that's why I decided to register and make the request. Just want to believe there must have been someone else in my shoes in the past. I actually gave up on this whole US dream after the last denial but truth be told, seeing my friend leave this country for masters in Wales and another for the US (I introduced him to the student's visa thread and he's an active poster on there) woke me back up and he raised my spirit to make me believe it can be done.

I'm not asking for anybody's father's money, just information if there is any to be given. The things you guys suggested, I've done in the past and already started again.
I couldn't take the GMAT because of funds but been saving and I hope to register by the end of this month.
By the time everything falls into place according to my calculations, all deadlines for fall would have long passed in every school (a lot have passed already).

I'm still pressing on and also ask AGAIN if any one has any information, please share. If it's all to sacred to be shared, too bad then. It'll all work out in the end, that much I know.
Thank you for your response.
Bro, there is nothing sacred about it. Since march 2010, I have been sending mails. Believe me, I have sent tons of mails to professors requesting to work in their labs. And believe me my grades, GRE and TOEFL scores are tops but I still got rejects. I finally got two acceptances and they were as a result of mailing, mailing and mailing. I believe imperiouxx when he says he has sent over 600 mails. The professors just don't reply but u'v got to persevere. No one can do ur research for you. Hang in there, it will be well. Regards.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Can2012: 12:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
moroh:

Bro, there is nothing sacred about it. Since march 2010, I have been sending mails. Believe me, I have sent tons of mails to professors requesting to work in their labs. And believe me my grades, GRE and TOEFL scores are tops but I still got rejects. I finally got two acceptances and they were as a result of mailing, mailing and mailing. I believe imperiouxx when he says he has sent over 600 mails. The professors just don't reply but u'v got to persevere. No one can do ur research for you. Hang in there, it will be well. Regards.

Thank you Moroh, persevere I shall.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 1:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
@can2012,

You don't need the beginning of your second post. No one is humiliating you. Before my first interview, I was humiliated just for helping others whereas I haven't gotten my visa then and at the end I got denied. How would you feel if you happened to be in that shoe? Still I wasn't deterred. Listen bro, to succeed in life, you've gotta experience a lot. Do more research yourself I bet it with you, you won't regret it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.