Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (144) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810448 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:35am On Nov 23, 2015
TheZed:
by January I will be in my final year, for days now have been trying to source out info concerning the best place to have my M.sc( UK is a no go area for me). Please can you help me with info on schools that offer aeronautic engineering or manufacturing and production there in Australia cheap enough for an average Nigerian.

My field is offshore engineering and so I am not an expert in this field

However, ironically one of the best schools to study aeronautics or manufacturing is my alma mata. Cranfield University in the UK.

They are one of the best if not the best is aerospace engineering and Manufacturing in the world.

As per Australia check out University of Melbourne, University of Sydney, University of new south Wales, Monash University.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:38am On Nov 23, 2015
ochukoccna:

This was the differentiating marker for you
I didn't know where to look for this companies for I knew and did practically all of your listed points save for this embarassed embarassed
That's why its said, when in doubt ask questions
Thank you for your swift response
Its appreciated spacyzuma

I concur with this
Though I think it was his constant negative speaking of the UK that brought vitriol G.Shepard's way shocked shocked
1 thing I imbibed subliminally in the UK is that everyone has choices and opinions and should be left to advocate such
Even if that opinion will bring desolation or grief in future, that person has a right to such
This differs from Nigeria where contrary opinions to rocking the boat are not enthusiastically embraced
Personally, I don’t dig the UK but I have people who can swear by Queen Elizabeth's derriere cool just to enter there
But to each his own.
Cheers cool

I never forced my opinion on anyone, everyone I suggested Australia to, was contacted once.

On the contrary my critics are the ones that can't tolerate contrary opinion
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TheZed(m): 1:19pm On Nov 23, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

My field is offshore engineering and so I am not an expert in this field

However, ironically one of the best schools to study aeronautics or manufacturing is my alma mata. Cranfield University in the UK.

They are one of the best if not the best is aerospace engineering and Manufacturing in the world.

As per Australia check out University of Melbourne, University of Sydney, University of new south Wales, Monash University.
ok. Thanks boss, will check them out.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sawyer89: 5:41pm On Nov 23, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

Hello bro,
Good to know you attended Cranfield. I just got admission for Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Technology) for 2016/2017. I'll be glad if you could provide any relevant information about the school as regards:
1) Employment prospects after graduation
2) Accommodation cost and ease of securing one
3) Ease of transportation within the town and to neighboring cities like London et.al
4) Social and extracurricular activities
5) Any other information you deem important

Thank you. I await your reply.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:57pm On Nov 23, 2015
sawyer89:

Hello bro,
Good to know you attended Cranfield. I just got admission for Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Technology) for 2016/2017. I'll be glad if you could provide any relevant information about the school as regards:
1) Employment prospects after graduation
2) Accommodation cost and ease of securing one
3) Ease of transportation within the town and to neighboring cities like London et.al
4) Social and extracurricular activities
5) Any other information you deem important

Thank you. I await your reply.

1.Employment after school is high for home students as per international students it is increasingly difficult.

2. Accommodation is cheaper if you live in a shared house on campus. If you are interested in this option, please apply early on EVE portal. Cranfield University is in a remote location and to be honest living on campus is your best bet.

3. The nearest big towns are Bedford on one side and milton Keynes on the other. There busses going either direction from school every half hour. The journey as well in either direction takes approximately 30 mins.

However I must warn that the services are less frequent on Saturdays (hourly) and even lesser on Sundays (every 1 Hour 30 mins)

Also London is about 40 via train from both MK and Bedford train stations.

4. Social activity is poor due to the size and nature of the school. It is a postgraduate only University, therefore it is shouldn't be surprising that the population is significantly lower when compared to traditional universities. However, you can always go to Bedford or Milton Keynes to club etc.

5. The school is highly regarded in Europe but if you are self sponsored, and wish to study in Cranfield University studying an Msc in Manufacturing or Supply chain may do you better overall. This is because alot of jobs related to thermal power in the UK require security clearance, which you cannot meet as an international student.

Cranfield University would have been perfect if the immigration laws in the UK were fairer, as it is one of the best universities in Europe. This is evidenced by the unparalleled industry collaboration in research as well as the unprecedented reputation it commands.

Hope this helps. (forgive any typo or errors, I'm replying on my mobile)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by yinkeys(m): 11:19pm On Nov 23, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

1.Employment after school is high for home students as per international students it is increasingly difficult.

2. Accommodation is cheaper if you live in a shared house on campus. If you are interested in this option, please apply early on EVE portal. Cranfield University is in a remote location and to be honest living on campus is your best bet.

3. The nearest big towns are Bedford on one side and milton Keynes on the other. There busses going either direction from school every half hour. The journey as well in either direction takes approximately 30 mins.

However I must warn that the services are less frequent on Saturdays (hourly) and even lesser on Sundays (every 1 Hour 30 mins)

4. Social activity is poor due to the size and nature of the school. It is a postgraduate only University, therefore it is shouldn't be surprising that the population is significantly lower when compared to traditional universities. However, you can always go to Bedford or Milton Keynes to club etc.

5. The school is highly regarded in Europe but if you are self sponsored, and wish to study in Cranfield University studying an Msc in Manufacturing or Supply chain may do you better overall. This is because alot of jobs related to thermal power in the UK require security clearance, which you cannot meet as an international student.

Cranfield University would have been perfect if the immigration laws in the UK were fairer, as it is one of the best universities in Europe. This is evidenced by the unparalleled industry collaboration in research as well as the unprecedented reputation it commands.

Please can you help out with foreign online forums like nairaland that you're familiar with. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by juniremix: 12:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
My appointment date is on 2nd December. I need an urgent response cos I have numerous questions to ask.

(1) how many photocopies do I need to make my documents?

(2) the consent letter from my parents to use their money while in UK. Who did you address the letter to? And in what format should the letter be ( hand written, on a letter headed paper or on a plain sheet?

(3) how was your experience at TLS office during submission of documents, interview and after submission?

(4) for those of you that didn't use priority visa service, how long did yours took before you received it?
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nairalanduser: 9:57am On Nov 30, 2015
justwise:

You may have to calm down with this your ant-UK campaign and allow people to make up their own mind. You have been on this for too long now. People have their reasons for choosing the UK and not Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

Exactly, let people decide for themselves. I have friends that finished in UK and are working in British telecom, Accenture, etc so migrants still get work.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sawyer89: 6:24pm On Nov 30, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

Thank you bro. I appreciate your reply. God bless you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apexmall(m): 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2015
Please any Nairalanda in Coventry? Pls can you help me with the cost of leaving and accommodation there. I want to come with my wife( we do not have kid yet). Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:32am On Dec 10, 2015
To whom it may concern

Tier 4 Visa Applications: Increase in Maintenance

The UK Government has increased the maintence requirements for visa applications. Students must now show they have enough funds for the number of extra months of their programme, up to 9 months.
The ‘established presence’ rule, which allowed students to show only 2 months of maintenance, has been removed.

Central London Students require: £1265 per month of study up to a maximum of 9 months
Others require: £1015 per month of study up to a maximum of 9 months

This must be held in your bank account for a minimum of 28 days, plus any outstanding tuition fees, to make a valid Tier 4 visa application
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by imbobby: 11:45am On Dec 12, 2015
Does anyone know anything about London South Bank University... am actually interested in their MSc in Business Intelligence and Social media and MSc in International Management and thinking of applying but been hearing some bad talk in other forums about the school.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by amdx21: 4:51pm On Dec 12, 2015
Anybody going to or already in University of Lincoln?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 3:29am On Dec 13, 2015
It all depends on your objectives after your Msc.

South Bank is not a good university in m opinion but depending on where you are coming from and where you are going it may or may not work for you. If you have better options I woke consider if not then it's what it is.

I would rate South Bank with London Met and East London universities, and considering our new finance minister attended East London it's not all doom I guess.

imbobby:
Does anyone know anything about London South Bank University... am actually interested in their MSc in Business Intelligence and Social media and MSc in International Management and thinking of applying but been hearing some bad talk in other forums about the school.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 12:43am On Dec 23, 2015
Hi, has anybody heard the rumour that the use of (nigeria) atm card to withdraw abroad will be ineffective from next year
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbiecutie(f): 11:20pm On Dec 27, 2015
bidosko:
Hi, has anybody heard the rumour that the use of (nigeria) atm card to withdraw abroad will be ineffective from next year

I read about this and couple of days later I got a email from GTbank stating the updated monthly withdrawal limit from abroad...this is quite confusing I must say.

Maybe with GTbank you can withdraw a maximum of an equivalent of 1000$ monthly undecided I'm not sure....hope this is helpful in a way
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iyb(m): 1:42am On Dec 28, 2015
abbiecutie:

I read about this and couple of days later I got a email from GTbank stating the updated monthly withdrawal limit from abroad...this is quite confusing I must say.
Maybe with GTbank you can withdraw a maximum of an equivalent of 1000$ monthly undecided I'm not sure....hope this is helpful in a way
this new limit is for those transacting in europe or america and once it is 1st January all naira mastercard will cease working outside nigeria till further notice
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonFebby(m): 2:03am On Dec 28, 2015
apexmall:
Please any Nairalanda in Coventry? Pls can you help me with the cost of leaving and accommodation there. I want to come with my wife( we do not have kid yet). Thanks.

I did study there some years ago so I have an idea of the town. Its a lovely town and things are not as expensive as places like London or Manchester.

You can get a good accommodation for as low as £250/month especially in areas like Stoke. Transport is also very moderate and you have easy access to the city centre and train station were you can get almost everything you want.

I don't really know if now there is an African restaurant in the town because there was non then but you sure will see some African food stores were you can get food stuffs to cook in your house.

You might be lucky to get a good job there but just put you mind that the highest pay you may get there is £6 an hour jobs.

Well maybe things have changed which I doubt but in all, trust me you will enjoy staying in Coventry than London.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbiecutie(f): 10:11pm On Dec 28, 2015
iyb:

this new limit is for those transacting in europe or america and once it is 1st January all naira mastercard will cease working outside nigeria till further notice

Agreed that from 1st January all naira MasterCard will cease to work from outside the country but the current withdrawal limit in Europe is not 1000$ a month but 300$ per day. I know because I withdraw more than 1000$ a month sometimes.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
abbiecutie:

Agreed that from 1st January all naira MasterCard will cease to work from outside the country but the current withdrawal limit in Europe is not 1000$ a month but 300$ per day. I know because I withdraw more than 1000$ a month sometimes.
Is that with a GTBank Naira Mastercard?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbiecutie(f): 11:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
guardian09:

Is that with a GTBank Naira Mastercard?

Yes sir it is smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 11:26pm On Dec 28, 2015
abbiecutie:

Yes sir it is smiley
Well the mail about a change in withdrawal limit on the Gtbank Naira Mastercard was only sent on the 22nd of this month which was last week so I dont understand what you mean by @ bolded
abbiecutie:

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbiecutie(f): 11:33pm On Dec 28, 2015
guardian09:

Well the mail about a change in withdrawal limit on the Gtbank Naira Mastercard was only sent on the 22nd of this month which was last week so I dont understand what you mean by @ bolded

I don't understand what you don't understand smiley from the previous message I only gave a reply to that part which said withdrawal limit for all overseas transaction is 1000$ a month. "I withdraw more than that sometimes a month" maybe your message was not intended for me....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbiecutie(f): 11:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
guardian09:

Making use of my phone that's why I have to send like this...

iyb:

Abbiecutie:

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apexmall(m): 12:31am On Dec 29, 2015
DonFebby:

I did study there some years ago so I have an idea of the town. Its a lovely town and things are not as expensive as places like London or Manchester.

You can get a good accommodation for as low as £250/month especially in areas like Stoke. Transport is also very moderate and you have easy access to the city centre and train station were you can get almost everything you want.

I don't really know if now there is an African restaurant in the town because there was non then but you sure will see some African food stores were you can get food stuffs to cook in your house.

You might be lucky to get a good job there but just put you mind that the highest pay you may get there is £6 an hour jobs.

Well maybe things have changed which I doubt but in all, trust me you will enjoy staying in Coventry than London.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your reply.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Melaninkween(f): 2:30am On Jan 03, 2016
Hey Adaluen,

I am a Nigerian Student in Bangor,I live close to the train station and would be glad to pick you up and help you settle in bangor.
There are apartments at 320pounds very close to where I live and five minutes walking distance to the University.
I would not know your budget but could show you around.
Do let me know whatever way I can assist you,I have exams this month but if I know when you are arriving,I can come get you!

Best wishes
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by AdaLuen: 8:59am On Jan 04, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 04, 2016
Please Justwise can you post that link again the one that has to do with companies that work with uk govt on taking intl students.I need it for something.thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 1:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
crazydove:
Please Justwise can you post that link again the one that has to do with companies that work with uk govt on taking intl students.I need it for something.thank you

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/478596/2015-11-20_Tier_25_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 04, 2016

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.