Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,625 members, 7,770,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:49 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (813657 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (229) (Go Down)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:33am On Jun 30, 2014
Hello, Nairaland! Our last thread was lost due to the Nairaland data loss, so we're re-starting the Non-Immigrant Visa discussion.

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos. We'll be happy to answer as many of your Non-Immigrant Visa questions as possible. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about Non-Immigrant Visas.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Our best,
AbujaNIV

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by isenkasa: 10:53am On Jun 30, 2014
Hello. I have a question. I am from macedonia and i am married with an american citizen and now i have the appointment for the interview. I am divorced with my first wife and we had a son together. My question is can i get my son with me if i have an approval from his mother? Or i have to apply once again for him

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by gr8ever(m): 9:38pm On Jul 01, 2014
Hello visa officer, it's good to see you here again. Please if someone got a visa with a university I20 and decided to study in a reputable community college but the community college has refused transfer of SEVIS from the university and insisted the student should get a F-1 visa with their school SEVIS number. Please is it possible to request for a correction of visa so that the community college name will reflect on the visa? Thanks.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Walspring: 9:41pm On Jul 01, 2014
Welcome back and its good to have you back...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Walspring: 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2014
abujaniv: Hi everybody,

Thanks for the questions. Again, we are not going to comment on individual cases. Applicants who are seeking to come to the US for medical treatment have a fairly straightforward set of criteria to follow. They're outlined on our website here:
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/MedicalVisaInformation.pdf

Keep in mind that, when you're applying for a visa for a medical purpose, you still have to meet all the qualifications for a normal visa as well. (For example,someone might be able to prove they have a bona-fide medical purpose for travelling, but nevertheless not demonstrate sufficient overall ties to qualify for a visa.) The advantage of that, of course, is that after the medical purpose is through you can still use the same visa for normal travel as long as it remains valid.

As for the questions we ask student visa applicants--obviously, that's going to vary from applicant to applicant. In general though, we're interested in finding out why somone chose a certain school, what other schools they looked at (and how they went about doing their research on schools), why they picked the degree they did, what their grades and exam scores have been so far, and how they're going to pay for going to school in the U.S. (Remember, it can get very, very expensive to go to school in the U.S., especially considering the work restrictions that come with student visas.)

Before nairaland was attacked and lost its data, you posted the message above and i want to ask questions with the bolded;

If an applicant that did his/her research online to know more about his school, course e.t.c and also make use of nairaland (https://www.nairaland.com/1482362/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries) in order get more insight of what can be ask (questions & answers) during his/her interview and decided to print it out in to make use of it everyday in order to excel in his/her interview, but unfortunate for him/her the Visa Officer noticed his/her research and likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant inside his/her folder along side with his/her other documents when the visa officer requested to check his/her folder.

My questions are listed below;

1, Is research likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant are part of items/things that must not be bring in on the day of interview?
2, Is it against the U.S. Visa rule to bring in research likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant himself/herself?
3, What are the consequences if such documents are seen inside an applicant folder even without making use of it on the day of his/her interview?
4, Did it attract a ban penalty at all ?
5, What is the general stakes on this kind of issue?

Thanks and best regards!!!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Okontami: 1:19pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hello VO, please for an expat who receives his salary and allowances in multiple currencies and at different periods , how will you advise him to fill the salary part of the DS160.

For example, if allowances comes in twice a year in bulk in 2 different currencies (USD and CFA) and monthly salary comes in Naira.

Thank you.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 5:52pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hello all!

We see all the questions that come in. Thank you for coming back! A few observations:

It is very common for people to advise Officers that they have a base salary and get allowances or bonuses at various times. A good rule of thumb is to state the salary that you feel best reflects your income, both on the DS-160 and in your interview.

When you come for an interview, we assume you know why you chose a school, why you want to study the major that you’ve chosen, why you are going to a particular place, etc. Visa decisions are primarily based on the interview, so memorizing questions and answers is never a good idea. We can’t say this enough -- being honest and straightforward is the best policy.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Green120: 9:28pm On Jul 02, 2014
Thanks for the good job you are doing on this thread please i need your help.
I have Been a silent follower and read through all the post.
My wife, myself and my two kids ages 3yrs and the other 7 months,applied for a student visa, my wife was the main applicant while myself and the kids applied for f2 but we applied at the same time as she did and our visas where denied,the VO only gave her a paper stating she didn't have any strong ties back home and the only question asked was why did you pick this school.

She reapplied immediately and went for interview today with just my 7month old baby and she said all the VO asked her was how will you pay for your studies which she answered that I was going to pay for her, he asked her again what I do and she said I own my company and that I am also into landed properties,
VO how will you cope with your child
She answered that she will enroll her in a day care

VO how will you pay for the day care
She answered my husband will

VO why did you choose this school( roosevelt university)
She said as she was about answering, she had only said the school has a good academic reputation the the VO cut her short and said by who
She said usnews.com

VO what does the school rank in the usnews ranking
She said 77 in the region

VO why didn't you go for other ones that are ranked higher
She said she needed a school that is affordable as well

VO is cost a problem and she said no

Only for him to bring out a blue paper and handed it to her saying am sorry you do not qualify for bla bla bla

Kindly advice

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by bodescous: 11:03pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hello VO,Thank you for your invaluable advice you give on this forum.You really awesome....
I have a wife who is a LPR in the state and a son who is a citizen.My wife came home last year for our court marriage..And since then she has been able to change her driver's licence, SSN and green card to my name and on the verge of starting the spouse filing..
But we got a clue that it might take up to two years and I don't think we can't wait for that time to see each other because we missing each other seriously... She does not want to risk coming to Nigeria as of moment because she lost her job last year she came home and a lot of pending bills for her and my son too fell sick then..
Right now my question goes thus!
Can she invite me now that she not put in the filing so I can come visit her for like two three weeks in the state...I have strong ties to Nigeria which I believe. Am a petroleum marketer in NNPC and also our older son here with me in Nigeria.. Your prompt response will b highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by exxy(m): 12:49am On Jul 03, 2014
House my uncle wants to apply for a B1 visa. What document does he need, what kind of questions would be asked, note: His going to buy trucks and some big cars from the US.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Mollydee88: 11:24am On Jul 03, 2014
@AbujaNIV
I'm a little confused here.
I have booked my appointment in Lagos via https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/; which included me as the primary applicant and my wife.

Having supplied all details correctly; in the scheduled print out i have; an error message states thus

''PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE OR MORE OF THE DS-160 NUMBERS USED TO SCHEDULE THIS APPOINTMENT CAN NOT BE VALIDATED. INCORRECT DS-160 NUMBERS MAY LEAD TO A DELAY IN BEING PROCESSED''

Please advise on what to do?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Gargamella: 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hello,
I have a question regarding H1b visa. I have been living in New York for the last 5 years under J1 visa. I completed my medical specialty and subspecialty. I applied for the 2 year home residency rule and got approved. I also applied for H1b and got approved and got a job in an underserved area. I have to go back home (lebanon) for a family reason. Before coming back to the states, I have to apply for the H1 visa at the US council of Beirut. My issue is I am pregnant, would it possible that my H1b visa be denied because of my pregnancy?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Chidx(f): 7:53pm On Jul 03, 2014
i got a visa for a conference. i had plans of staying a while later after the conference for tourism. Now i have reasons why i cannot make the conference. Will i be allowed entry on the basis of tourism, with this visa a week after the conference has held?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lagdude: 8:13am On Jul 04, 2014
Good morning VO, weldone for the good job you doing here. God will continue to bless you.
As a LPR, is it possible for one to invite his/her family to the state for visiting and like how many years will the LPR holder would have stayed in the states before he/she can invite a family member.

CHEERS
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by d2ddayo(m): 5:58pm On Jul 04, 2014
i am writing this in good faith, i hope it changes my perception about the united state embassy now. i applied for a visit visa in 2012 to visit my uncle and his family but was denied on the basis of " my uncle traveled in 2008 with a visit visa which he didnt return back to nigeria but got married there and started a family there". i didnt know about this though because i have always been travelling to europe twice yearly since 2005 and i always observe immigration rules because i have my strong tie here in niigeria. well the VO checked my passports and saw all my travel histories but based on that i wasnt granted. well i felt bad a bit but got over it. on january 3rd 2014, after i applied again, this time to visit my best friend who is in the US army, who sworn that if my visa is being granted to visit him and his family that i will return back to nigeria. definately because i have my own family here, i have a very good job here as well and i am entitled to a 2 weeks yearly vacation. but to my surprise again, the VO checked my passports saw all my travel history and even said i see u travel alot and what for which i told her business and vacation. but before i know what was goin on, she had brought a blue paper again and said am sorry the visa cant be granted today. now my question is just this, why is it so? i dont ve any intention to stay back i love my job, my family is here and all. all i wanted is to visit my bestfriend and see my god daughter. been two years now we last saw eachother. why is there a mistake i made or what exactly shoudl i do?

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by temol: 6:48am On Jul 06, 2014
Good morning VO, so glad to see this thread. In less than a month, my family was lucky to get a b1/b2 visa valid for 2 years. And making plans to travel around that december but just last week he was able to secure a job at a US company. Sir, would like to ask if the status of the visa could be changed or if he can still apply for a new via while the company file for him?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by artworks1: 10:21am On Jul 07, 2014
V.O, how are you?

How can one get or amend an appointment date for a particular date she is travelling. 

The event is around July but the calender keeps starting its dates from Aug. ahead of the date for the event I have in the states.

What can I do?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 07, 2014
Good day VO,

I intend going to the US on the 9th to attend my cousin's wedding and the earliest appointment time was given to me on the 7th. I am finding it difficult to reschedule, what do I do?I have no intention of staying in the US because I never had it in mind to do so.I am just opportune to go and I was invited as well..

Secondly, can I be granted visa after the date of the event? I will be very grateful if you reply me, so that I know my next line of action.Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by mamaxxx: 2:04pm On Jul 07, 2014
Hi,i was issued a b1/b2 visa before i even got pregnant after i found out i was pregnant i decided to go give birth in the States. However at POEi was refused entry because the immigration officer says i didn't have sufficient funds though i had paid part of the hospital fees already and also had over $3000 cash on me. I also had my master card on me and explained to her that my husband was going to send some funding to my account to complete payment.

My visa was immediately canceled and i sent back to Nigeria unjustly. I intend to fight this and win the battle as i feel like i was wrongfully picked on by thus lady who was just obviously in a badmood. Others who had less money on them were allowed in. Please note that this is not my first time in the state.

Where do i go from here?i still intend on having my child in the US and can fund my account the prove that i am able to afford it'

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by olafey2: 5:56pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hi,
I wish to travel to u.s but I dont know how to go about it.
I have an aunt over there, my fiancé will be sponsoring me.
I wish to do it the legal way, please could you plese state the steps and procedures I need to take.
NB : have never left Nigeria.
Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by hawtmum: 9:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hello abujaniv. If one is placed on administrative processing and checks the visa application status online, and it says "issued". How long does one have to wait to be contacted by the embassy. NB: It's 15 business days now since the status was updated.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by pyx: 9:18am On Jul 09, 2014
how do i know my visa is multiple entry
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by pyx: 9:19am On Jul 09, 2014
how do i know my visa is multiple entry?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by auto001: 11:09am On Jul 10, 2014
Good morning VO . Please I need a us transit visa to connect my trip to st vincent kindly advice me what to do thanks and God bless you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by d2ddayo(m): 1:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
i am writing this in good faith, i hope it changes my perception about the united state embassy now. i applied for a visit visa in 2012 to visit my uncle and his family but was denied on the basis of " my uncle traveled in 2008 with a visit visa which he didnt return back to nigeria but got married there and started a family there". i didnt know about this though because i have always been travelling to europe twice yearly since 2005 and i always observe immigration rules because i have my strong tie here in niigeria. well the VO checked my passports and saw all my travel histories but based on that i wasnt granted. well i felt bad a bit but got over it. on january 3rd 2014, after i applied again, this time to visit my best friend who is in the US army, who sworn that if my visa is being granted to visit him and his family that i will return back to nigeria. definately because i have my own family here, i have a very good job here as well and i am entitled to a 2 weeks yearly vacation. but to my surprise again, the VO checked my passports saw all my travel history and even said i see u travel alot and what for which i told her business and vacation. but before i know what was goin on, she had brought a blue paper again and said am sorry the visa cant be granted today. now my question is just this, why is it so? i dont ve any intention to stay back i love my job, my family is here and all. all i wanted is to visit my bestfriend and see my god daughter. been two years now we last saw eachother. why is there a mistake i made or what exactly shoudl i do?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by meggy11: 2:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
Hi VO, pls advice accordingly. Though this is a NIV renewal issue. Planning on using the drop box cause I am qualified to use it. The question is I live in port harcourt. Can I use the dhl services in port harcourt to drop it off for me or I need to go to lagos/abuja to drop it off myself?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by meggy11: 11:53pm On Jul 10, 2014
Y is the VO of this thread not responding as fast as the immigrants section? Just wondering out aloud.....

VO, pls we need answers.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Mollydee88: 9:53am On Jul 11, 2014
@meggy..... Just my thought as well...
I made a post exactly a week ago without response.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (229)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.