Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,916 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (148) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811172 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 24, 2016
nineteenth:
Ok thanks.

I'm still confused how you got a new e-passport done in Lagos when your former e-passport had a different date of birth.

What you decide to do is upto you.
They only need your current passport anyways. However the form will have a section where you are to put any previous passport numbers.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2016
nineteenth:
The same thing was printed on mine. Sir, was yours renewal or re-issue?
renewal
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by aire94: 4:29pm On Mar 24, 2016
[quote author=bidosko post=44038871] am studying in cardiff uni to cardiff met. How's the preparation going [/ quote]

Everything is in place. Just waiting for CAS from the uni. What's living in Cardiff like? Really don't know what to expect when compared to London because have lived in London previously
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:01pm On Mar 24, 2016
salsera:

I'm still confused how you got a new e-passport done in Lagos when your former e-passport had a different date of birth.

What you decide to do is upto you.
They only need your current passport anyways. However the form will have a section where you are to put any previous passport numbers.

That surprises me as well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 1:37pm On Mar 25, 2016
creamyworkz:

Bank with the lowest rate still remains stanbic ibtc. bt then with the cbn rules, i doubt if you can use atm to pay school fees cos the daily cummulative limit is less than 250dollars or so. form A will do justice to school fees payment

Hello sir, please how does form A work? I have a cousin who wants to come to the UK for studies this September and we are trying to look for how to get CBN rates which will be cheaper. Does the Form A process make use of the CBN official exchange rate? your response will be appreciated.

Please any other person who knows about the Form A can also make suggestions on how to go about it.

cc: Justwise

cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 2:01pm On Mar 25, 2016
OlowoB:

Hello sir, please how does form A work? I have a cousin who wants to come to the UK for studies this September and we are trying to look for how to get CBN rates which will be cheaper. Does the Form A process make use of the CBN official exchange rate? your response will be appreciated.

Please any other person who knows about the Form A can also make suggestions on how to go about it.

cc: Justwise

cheers
Yea it does, maybe with a lil extra bank commision which is close to nufn. Just go to any bank preffereable one wch you have an account with, and request for form A they'll give you the form, you fill it and return, after which they'll process it. depending on how fast they are able to get forex from cbn, the school myt recieve it in one week or so. d rate was around 287 d last time my coz did it. it myt be lesser now. bt note that Form A can only be used to pay directly to d schools account either school fees or accomodation(if the person lives in a school owned apartment) .
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 3:35pm On Mar 25, 2016
creamyworkz:

Yea it does, maybe with a lil extra bank commision which is close to nufn. Just go to any bank preffereable one wch you have an account with, and request for form A they'll give you the form, you fill it and return, after which they'll process it. depending on how fast they are able to get forex from cbn, the school myt recieve it in one week or so. d rate was around 287 d last time my coz did it. it myt be lesser now. bt note that Form A can only be used to pay directly to d schools account either school fees or accomodation(if the person lives in a school owned apartment) .

Thanks for your prompt response.

what if the person does not have an account with the bank, can someone pay on his behalf? Actually the cash is not in my cousins account so the money will be transferred from his sisters account who has the cash. In other words, the sister is the person who will be requesting for the form A and probably filling it on his behalf. I hope it is possible?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by agarawu23(m): 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2016
creamyworkz:

Yea it does, maybe with a lil extra bank commision which is close to nufn. Just go to any bank preffereable one wch you have an account with, and request for form A they'll give you the form, you fill it and return, after which they'll process it. depending on how fast they are able to get forex from cbn , the school myt recieve it in one week or so. d rate was around 287 d last time my coz did it. it myt be lesser now. bt note that Form A can only be used to pay directly to d schools account either school fees or accomodation(if the person lives in a school owned apartment) .
sir
I don't know if you are talking about before, but presently, FG clearly told us CBN forex (form A) isn't available for students abroad anymore.

You will need to queue for weeks if not month before they help u send 1000$ and don't expect CBN rate 198 . The fastest way is to buy your dollar and send or buy from the bank with any rate they give u plus commission.

Cc :olowob
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 4:27pm On Mar 25, 2016
agarawu23:
sir
I don't know if you are talking about before, but presently, FG clearly told us CBN forex (form A) isn't available for students abroad anymore.

You will need to queue for weeks if not month before they help u send 1000$ and don't expect CBN rate 198 . The fastest way is to buy your dollar and send or buy from the bank with any rate they give u plus commission.

Thanks Agarawu, but do you think banks still sell dollars? thats almost impossible and the current black market rates are not favourable.
if my cousin can even get the naira for around 320-350 for pounds, he will be happy.

@creamyworkz, the Form A option you used, did you do it of recent? does bank still help out currently?

sorry to bother you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 25, 2016
creamyworkz:

Please, buying fx with form A is not and has never been at CBN rate. You're charged at the bank rate. Simply put, they bid for fx at CBN for you with your Naira, then sell (transfer, you never get to see the money) to you at their own rate. You will also be charged for telex and commission which are not "close to nufn". Please get the facts right before posting.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 5:12pm On Mar 25, 2016
naijamark:

Please, buying fx with form A is not and has never been at CBN rate. You're charged at the bank rate. Simply put, they bid for fx at CBN for you with your Naira, then sell (transfer, you never get to see the money) to you at their own rate. You will also be charged for telex and commission which are not "close to nufn". Please get the facts right before posting.

Thanks for giving a different view to the point earlier raised. So please from your own knowledge of how it works, like how much will the exchange rate be like for pound compared to the black market rate if my cousin decides to use the Form A? and please what is the best method of payment for fees for a student coming to the UK?

cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by agarawu23(m): 5:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
OlowoB:

Thanks Agarawu, but do you think banks still sell dollars? thats almost impossible and the current black market rates are not favourable.
if my cousin can even get the naira for around 320-350 for pounds, he will be happy.

sorry to bother you.
I doubt you can get pounds at that rate. Some banks depending on the branch still wire but rare and ofcus with high rate not with the rate you are aiming.

Start visiting banks close to u for more info.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 5:51pm On Mar 25, 2016
agarawu23:
I doubt you can get pounds at that rate. Some banks depending on the branch still wire but rare and ofcus with high rate not with the rate you are aiming.

Start visiting banks close to u for more info.

thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 7:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
OlowoB:

Thanks for your prompt response.

what if the person does not have an account with the bank, can someone pay on his behalf? Actually the cash is not in my cousins account so the money will be transferred from his sisters account who has the cash. In other words, the sister is the person who will be requesting for the form A and probably filling it on his behalf. I hope it is possible?
yes it is
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 7:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
agarawu23:
sir

I saw that on d news and did a transfer after that. it will be a different thing entirely if u go to the bank and they refuse to do it, bt i can tell u for sure i did it after reading the news online and it only took bout 6working days
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 7:51pm On Mar 25, 2016
naijamark:

well i wont argue tho. i did it on 15th march nd was charged 287. bt if u say its not possible then i'll just keep shut
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:33pm On Mar 25, 2016
creamyworkz:

well i wont argue tho. i did it on 15th march nd was charged 287. bt if u say its not possible then i'll just keep shut

My sister, please I believe you if no one else does, no be Naija we dey? Anything can happen.
Please can I know the name of the bank so that I can also tell my cousin to go and try his luck.

I'll appreciate it if you can let me know.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2016
OlowoB:

My sister, please I believe you if no one else does, no be Naija we dey? Anything can happen.
Please can I know the name of the bank so that I can also tell my cousin to go and try his luck.

God bless.
Diamond bank
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 3:00pm On Mar 26, 2016
OlowoB:

God bless.

Diamond bank
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 9:48pm On Mar 26, 2016
[quote author=aire94 post=44071095]good luck in your application
cardiff is a cool place more cheaper cost of living than london. The local residents are friendly and U can get nigeria dishes here too and moreso interesting nightlife
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 10:09am On Mar 27, 2016
creamyworkz:

Diamond bank

Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 02, 2016
A friend used Form A to pay part of his tuition last week, Union Bank, he got 197 to a dollar rate, which i think is wonderful!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 9:32pm On Apr 02, 2016
Hello All nice thread and i have been educated a lot. i would be going to john moores university Liverpool this September to study Computer network security. i havent seen anyone on this thread talk about this partuicular school
Any advice on internship and accommodation would be appreciated
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 7:33am On Apr 03, 2016
agalamanyi:
A friend used Form A to pay part of his tuition last week, Union Bank, he got 197 to a dollar rate, which i think is wonderful!

Exactly the point...anything is possible in Nigeria..apparently the Form A is still been used by some students. students for the September session should also try their luck. no dulling.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by opeyemmmy(m): 9:53am On Apr 03, 2016
OlowoB:

Exactly the point...anything is possible in Nigeria..apparently the Form A is still been used by some students. students for the September session should also try their luck. no dulling.

Form A is still available for all international students, let no one tell you otherwise. Your application is processed at CBN rate with some charges, which last I checked weren't much.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 10:37am On Apr 03, 2016
opeyemmmy:

Form A is still available for all international students, let no one tell you otherwise. Your application is processed at CBN rate with some charges, which last I checked weren't much.

Thanks bro, i am not even a student anymore grin done that a long time ago. was just enquiring for a cousin who wants to come and join me here.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 5:29pm On Apr 04, 2016
i was almost cruxified for saying that form A is still a valid means getting forex for school fees abroad. its funny tho. y'all should enjoy it while it last smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by surllivan: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2016
creamyworkz:
i was almost cruxified for saying that form A is still a valid means getting forex for school fees abroad. its funny tho. y'all should enjoy it while it last smiley
winknice
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 3:54pm On Apr 21, 2016
Just wondering if any one here currently studies at University of Glasgow? University of Strathclyde? Glasgow Caledonian University?
Or any of the further education colleges in Glasgow, Scotland?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 21, 2016
Aye
spacyzuma:
Just wondering if any one here currently studies at University of Glasgow? University of Strathclyde? Glasgow Caledonian University?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 9:40pm On Apr 21, 2016
spacyzuma:
yeah strathclyder.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 7:56am On Apr 22, 2016
guiddoti:
yeah strathclyder.

Cool. Do you guys have a Nigerian students union? If yes, do you have regular meetings? If yes, when is the next meeting?

Cheers.

cc @naijamark

(1) (2) (3) ... (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.