Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,521 members, 7,816,276 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (188) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811048 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bmuhd4smile: 5:02pm On May 22, 2021
justwise:

You need more than a change to survive in Portsmouth, its not really a cheap city to live in, i was unable to get a job for a while i was there though it was recession then but you will be able to get student job.

Come with money that will last you for at least 3months while you settle down and get a job

Ok thanks Boss.

What about bristol
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Moshabiola: 11:06pm On May 28, 2021
Good evening house, please I’m having difficulty booking my medical test, all dates are booked, no more date until after August 30 which is just 2weeks before my resumption, what can be done about this please?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by donogaga(m): 11:58pm On May 28, 2021
Moshabiola:
Good evening house, please I’m having difficulty booking my medical test, all dates are booked, no more date until after August 30 which is just 2weeks before my resumption, what can be done about this please?

They are having network issue lately. It's actually not going through.

However, just go to the bank and make the payment. Scan your receipt, then send them a mail and attach the receipt.

After sending the mail, you will most likely get a call from them and you will be told to come with your receipt and passport to their office for the medical test.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Callmed: 7:12am On May 29, 2021
Hello everyone.

I am actively looking for an accommodation at Teesside University environs. I see some pictures of affordable accommodations online but I don't want to fall victim of scam. So is there any reliable agent or website to source accommodation from in Middlesbrough?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ccurrie: 12:12pm On May 29, 2021
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ccurrie: 8:20pm On May 29, 2021
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 30, 2021
amanze54:
I have been battling between proceeding with my UK admission and taking up the Poland work permit. It has not been an easy decision.
I plan investing about the 8m I budgeted for the UK in a landed property and move to Poland on the work permit.
But I am trying to see what will I miss if I ditch UK for Poland given I have to battle for stay permit after 4yrs in UK after investing 8m in studies. But on the other hand I am doing an IT related course, MSc Data Science and could land a good opportunity after study.
Poland blue collar work pay is not much but I am not spending more than 1million for the whole process both flights. The permanent resident option in Poland is easier.
So this is my dilemma, as I am looking at the expenses I am going to make for the two countries and benefits therein.

My little advise, proceed to the Uk. You have more opportunities there in IT, Poland wages are very low because I keep seeing people from Poland move into Germany for better jobs in IT. You will rarely see someone moving from Uk to Germany because of wages, their earnings are very similar.

The Pound Sterling is currently valued at 700 Naira to 1 Pound, before that God-forsaken Buhari leaves, It will be 1000 Naira to 1 Pound in 2023 which is 2 years from now.

Go and spend that 8Million, you won't regret.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lekepapzy(m): 4:12pm On May 30, 2021
ivynifty:
Me too! Let's have a whatsapp group pleaseee
Hello Ayo pls reach me as im going this September

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lekepapzy(m): 4:20pm On May 30, 2021
Chemike16:

Heading to fall to bro Let me dm you
I don’t know how to dm! Pls let’s connect Hull city September intake
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by hennytan09: 8:16pm On May 30, 2021
lekepapzy:
I don’t know how to dm! Pls let’s connect Hull city September intake
I want to connect too, I'm applying for their conversion course in artificial intelligence and data science. I studied civil engineering in undergraduate

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ccurrie: 8:26am On May 31, 2021
Callmed:
Hello everyone.

I am actively looking for an accommodation at Teesside University environs. I see some pictures of affordable accommodations online but I don't want to fall victim of scam. So is there any reliable agent or website to source accommodation from in Middlesbrough?

While you wait for the gurus, I think you can ask your school's accommodation services. All the schools I applied to have advice on letting from outside landlords and some a few suggestions on agencies. Is this unavailable in your school? Requesting to speak to current international students can help too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Callmed: 10:15pm On May 31, 2021
ccurrie:

While you wait for the gurus, I think you can ask your school's accommodation services. All the schools I applied to have advice on letting from outside landlords and some a few suggestions on agencies. Is this unavailable in your school? Requesting to speak to current international students can help too.
Thank you for this. I already decided to go for the school accommodation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Toyinfabs: 10:48am On Jun 01, 2021
Morning everyone. Please for those already in the UK with families, how did you sort out the issue of accommodation before landing? Is it true that we have to get guarantors? If so how did you go about that?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ccurrie: 11:05am On Jun 01, 2021
Toyinfabs:
Morning everyone. Please for those already in the UK with families, how did you sort out the issue of accommodation before landing? Is it true that we have to get guarantors? If so how did you go about that?

Again, while you wait for the gurus:
Have you spoken to your school? You can actually ask them this question. Most schools have alot of advice on renting, legit agencies, etc and you can request to speak to current international students with families who will advise better as they are already on ground and have gone through what you are asking about.
Well, that's what I would do.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ccurrie: 11:05am On Jun 01, 2021
Callmed:
Thank you for this. I already decided to go for the school accommodation.

Okay. I hope you like it
You're welcome.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ccurrie: 11:10am On Jun 01, 2021
justwise:

You need more than a change to survive in Portsmouth, its not really a cheap city to live in, i was unable to get a job for a while i was there though it was recession then but you will be able to get student job.

Come with money that will last you for at least 3months while you settle down and get a job

Advise us naaw grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2021
Moshabiola:
Good evening house, please I’m having difficulty booking my medical test, all dates are booked, no more dates until after August 30 which is just 2weeks before my resumption, what can be done about this, please?
Why did you wait this long? Go to the center and apply "Africa time".
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DeevaB: 8:33am On Jun 03, 2021
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Poanan: 9:22am On Jun 03, 2021
Zeecos:

Check plymouth

Hello Zeeco, please can you give a honest review of the msc financial management in Hull? or if need be can help ask around. Thanks in advance.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambyte: 11:14am On Jun 03, 2021
Please any information about student job in Hull. I am planning to apply for Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tonchi(m): 11:01am On Jun 04, 2021
Hi, how much did you use for the POF in Naira?

DeevaB:
Please I need your candid advice.
I have started my application to the University of Hull. Tuition is 9k, the deposit fee is 2k. I can afford to pay the deposit fee, other accompanying expenses and show the required POF for a visa but I can't afford the outstanding tuition. My friend advised me to come over first and then take on extra jobs to pay off outstanding tuition, though it might require working beyond the allowed work hours for students, this was what she did.

Thought to seek a public opinion before venturing into this. Thank you in advance for all the advice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by countycarer: 5:02pm On Jun 04, 2021
DeevaB:
Please I need your candid advice.
I have started my application to the University of Hull. Tuition is 9k, the deposit fee is 2k. I can afford to pay the deposit fee, other accompanying expenses and show the required POF for a visa but I can't afford the outstanding tuition. My friend advised me to come over first and then take on extra jobs to pay off outstanding tuition, though it might require working beyond the allowed work hours for students, this was what she did.

Thought to seek a public opinion before venturing into this. Thank you in advance for all the advice.

It is difficult but possible but the work will be long shifts and you would have to work not using your name!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by countycarer: 5:27pm On Jun 04, 2021
amanze54:
I have been battling between proceeding with my UK admission and taking up the Poland work permit. It has not been an easy decision.
I plan investing about the 8m I budgeted for the UK in a landed property and move to Poland on the work permit.
But I am trying to see what will I miss if I ditch UK for Poland given I have to battle for stay permit after 4yrs in UK after investing 8m in studies. But on the other hand I am doing an IT related course, MSc Data Science and could land a good opportunity after study.
Poland blue collar work pay is not much but I am not spending more than 1million for the whole process both flights. The permanent resident option in Poland is easier.
So this is my dilemma, as I am looking at the expenses I am going to make for the two countries and benefits therein.

I will advise you to take the Poland option as after you finish your course in u.k you are only allowed 2 years to stay and work and there is no guarantee you will get a job right after you finish as there are many unemployed graduates. This is only my personal opinion
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by JIREN01: 6:20pm On Jun 04, 2021
countycarer:

I will advise you to take the Poland option as after you finish your course in u.k you are only allowed 2 years to stay and work and there is no guarantee you will get a job right after you finish as there are many unemployed graduates. This is only my personal opinion
Do you mean it's possible you search for jobs for 2 years without getting any offer?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by JIREN01: 6:59pm On Jun 04, 2021
Please; can someone live on 500 pounds monthly in the UK as a student?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by countycarer: 11:29pm On Jun 04, 2021
JIREN01:
Do you mean it's possible you search for jobs for 2 years without getting any offer?
it is unlikely but possible.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by countycarer: 11:31pm On Jun 04, 2021
JIREN01:

Does this include accommodation?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by JIREN01: 12:13am On Jun 05, 2021
countycarer:

Does this include accommodation?
Yes

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by countycarer: 1:29am On Jun 05, 2021
JIREN01:
Yes

possible but very difficult you will be looking at about 300 on accommodation and 200 for the rest and this would be outside London
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Ge0grapher(m): 2:02am On Jun 05, 2021
JIREN01:

Forget what they say! If anyone searches for a Job in the UK for two years without seeing one.. bro that na spiritual problem.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SamReinvented: 7:14pm On Jun 06, 2021
JIREN01:

If you're single and studying far from London, yes. I spend less than that. My rent is 350, and I spend around 80 pounds on groceries. I don't do any other major spending outside those two things.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.