Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,553 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (534105 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sholay2011(m): 8:36pm On Aug 26, 2015
aqualuv:
Pls can i have ur contact . Need to ask some questions from u
PM me.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2015
[quote author=sholay2011 post=37367089]
PM me. My question is when does fall semester starts nd ur course of study
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sholay2011(m): 9:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
[quote author=aqualuv post=37368564][/quote]
Fall Semester starts September 2, 2015 with orientation for international students and by September 8, lectures start.

My course of study is Agribusiness and Agricultural Economics.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by akinsdotman(m): 4:35pm On Sep 02, 2015
What are the chances of getting admission into a postgraduate program in Canada with HND? Can one apply for a direct master's program or as a non-degree student or via graduate diploma program. House, please what is the best option to get admitted??

SAVE OUR SOULS (SOS)

PLEASE DON'T JUST PASS BY....

DROP UR INSIGHTS OOOOO

ONE LUV!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by AverageNed: 5:55pm On Sep 07, 2015
Please People,
What universities in Ontario would admit me to study Computer Science with this waec result?
A1- Computer Studies
B2- Data Processing
B2- Civic Education
B3- Biology
C4-English Language
C4-Further Mathematics
C5-Physics
C6-Mathematics
C6-Chemistry

Thank you People
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 00pman: 9:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
House,how possible is it to get admitted for winter semester 2016 at douglas college...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by osexce: 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
Paschal137:
My brother,i dey naija.But have applied 4 my study permit @ CDHC.I got an offer from Thompson Rivers University.Wat of u?

hello please i have some information on thompson rivers university i need, please if you can send me a mail on me2flex@yahoo.com lets talk or better still drop your email address or any contact detail so that i can reach you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by akaymotus: 6:08pm On Sep 09, 2015
Good day all,
I recently applied to study in SAIT, Alberta. but
I might only be able to pay for the first semester tuition and probably two months house rent.

My question and fear now, "Is it possible to get a job while studying to be able to pay subsequent semesters, feeding, rent, etc.

Please i need sincere responses urgently
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 7:53am On Sep 10, 2015
Hi! All. Nice one @justwise. Good to see this exist, guess i just graduated from "traveling to canada part 8 with TRV certificate that guaranty my paticipation here then. Right!
May the new month bring great success to our dreams.

Sharp one! Plz is there anyone here schooling at SAIT, Calgary or has contact of someone there that can help with accommodation? Am at Edmonton now at a family friend's place, wants to secure accommodation tin b4 heading down to SAIT, calgary.

Plz! I need help on finding accommodation urgently.
Appreciate your good response.

Thanks!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 8:17am On Sep 10, 2015
akaymotus:
Good day all,
I recently applied to study in SAIT, Alberta. but
I might only be able to pay for the first semester tuition and probably two months house rent.

My question and fear now, "Is it possible to get a job while studying to be able to pay subsequent semesters, feeding, rent, etc.

Please i need sincere responses urgently

Sound like your still working on your TRV down in Nigeria?
Doing all that you mentioned is step in good direction.

If my 1st statement is right I will advice you put more of your energy in ensuring your SP/TRV seal through/approved and worry less of SAIT or calgary work opportunities.

Following your last question, I doubt you getting a job that big as a student anywhere in Canny that will offset out rightly your tuition , rents etc

Al the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by akaymotus: 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
bonushadow:

Sound like your still working on your TRV down in Nigeria?
Doing all that you mentioned is step in good direction.

If my 1st statement is right I will advice you put more of your energy in ensuring your SP/TRV seal through/approved and worry less of SAIT or calgary work opportunities.

Following your last question, I doubt you getting a job that big as a student anywhere in Canny that will offset out rightly your tuition , rents etc

Al the best.

Thanks Bonushadow, yes you are right. I am still in Nigeria but just trying to plan ahead hoping things will go as planned. My Sait application is still in process. How long did it take u to get your Sait admission offer?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 2:50am On Sep 11, 2015
bonushadow:

Hi! All. Nice one @justwise. Good to see this exist, guess i just graduated from "traveling to canada part 8 with TRV certificate that guaranty my paticipation here then. Right!
May the new month bring great success to our dreams.

Sharp one! Plz is there anyone here schooling at SAIT, Calgary or has contact of someone there that can help with accommodation? Am at Edmonton now at a family friend's place, wants to secure accommodation tin b4 heading down to SAIT, calgary.

Plz! I need help on finding accommodation urgently.
Appreciate your good response.

Thanks!

I would advise you find a place online before coming or make arrangement of staying with someone for a few days while you find yourself a place of your own.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 7:53am On Sep 11, 2015
Thanks. Are you a student there?
GboyegaD:

I would advise you find a place online before coming or make arrangement of staying with someone for a few days while you find yourself a place of your own.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 7:57am On Sep 11, 2015
Can't remember bro but it might be upto 4 months.
I lie down to be corrected thou!
All the best.
akaymotus:

Thanks Bonushadow, yes you are right. I am still in Nigeria but just trying to plan ahead hoping things will go as planned. My Sait application is still in process. How long did it take u to get your Sait admission offer?

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2015
bonushadow:
Thanks. Are you a student there?

Yes, but not at SAIT.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by akaymotus: 10:30am On Sep 11, 2015
bonushadow:
All the best.

4 Months? For admission process or both admission and trv process?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GidiPrince: 5:05am On Sep 12, 2015
bonushadow:
All the best.

Good to have a SAIT student here... I also want to apply to SAIT for fall 2016 (IT)... I need to get some information and I have sent you an email. Kindly acknowledge bro!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 6:41am On Sep 12, 2015
AiIt. Have replied you.
quote author=GidiPrince post=37924447]

Good to have a SAIT student here... I also want to apply to SAIT for fall 2016 (IT)... I need to get some information and I have sent you an email. Kindly acknowledge bro![/quote]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 6:43am On Sep 12, 2015
Will like to send you a PM?
GboyegaD:

Yes, but not at SAIT.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by detutu1: 2:12pm On Sep 13, 2015
Hi...welcome to nairaland!!! MBA? Try memorial university or unversity of Victoria. ..scholarship opportunities are there...are you preparing for GMAT anytime soon? I need a study partner grin
zaidasqueen:
hi all....please i am new on nairaland. i av a little stuff bothering me,and would be glad to get replies...i intend doing my masters/MBA in canada....need suggestions of any goos school with low tuition fees,i have researched using google,got some information,but i need real answers from pple living there or av knowledge abt canada.....also wanna know how it is to school and live in newfoundland as regards living expenses,weather as well as population of nigerians there. thirdly scholarship oppurtunities? need to know abt scholarships that are available for either a masters in finance or an MBA for Nigerians. THanks for y'al feedbacks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by zaidasqueen: 3:31am On Sep 19, 2015
ok thanks...gmat? not yet... u applying too? if yes,lets hoo up at abby4laf@gmail.com
detutu1:
Hi...welcome to nairaland!!! MBA? Try memorial university or unversity of Victoria. ..scholarship opportunities are there...are you preparing for GMAT anytime soon? I need a study partner grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by zaidasqueen: 3:41am On Sep 19, 2015
detutu1:
thanks ...if u applying...pls email me at abby4laf@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by remioshy(f): 8:12pm On Sep 22, 2015
Hello all

Pls which exam is GRE and how do you register and sit for Utah.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by detutu1: 6:53pm On Sep 26, 2015
[quote author=zaidasqueen post=38154874]ok thanks...gmat? not yet... u applying too? if yes,lets hoo
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by zaidasqueen: 9:09pm On Sep 26, 2015
aii....pls email me on d mail ad in my kast message
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Khalesi: 3:52pm On Sep 28, 2015
If I may say, this thread is badly being derailed with all these admission questions and TRV yarns. Let's be more civilised and adhere to the topic. One comes in here to read up survival scopes and some peep are here asking can I be admitted with 2:2. It's soo annoying a beg! You guys should take your admission and TRV questions to the other tread and have them tackled promptly.

Please let's keep the survival talk going. Where to buy cheap stuff, affordable accommodation, how to manage finances, how to network with better people for the future.

So my own question is I hope to get in for winter session in Uottawa. I will be accompanied by my toddler and need if possible a single bedroom apartment (which isn't common from the sites I've checked). Is it possible to share say a 3bed apartment with other students alongside my toddler? Has anyone seen such practice?

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bonushadow: 4:36am On Oct 10, 2015
Sure you can. Though it might have to be an apartment shared with fellow Nigerians (they will understand) and possibly too with a landlord that understands. Oyibo's can be funny most times. Advice: Network well in your search for accommodation. Don't know site your using, try kijiji.ca it might help. All the best.
Khalesi:
If I may say, this thread is badly being derailed with all these admission questions and TRV yarns. Let's be more civilised and adhere to the topic. One comes in here to read up survival scopes and some peep are here asking can I be admitted with 2:2. It's soo annoying a beg! You guys should take your admission and TRV questions to the other tread and have them tackled promptly.

Please let's keep the survival talk going. Where to buy cheap stuff, affordable accommodation, how to manage finances, how to network with better people for the future.

So my own question is I hope to get in for winter session in Uottawa. I will be accompanied by my toddler and need if possible a single bedroom apartment (which isn't common from the sites I've checked). Is it possible to share say a 3bed apartment with other students alongside my toddler? Has anyone seen such practice?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Khalesi: 6:09am On Oct 10, 2015
Thank you. I'm using Kijiji and Craigslist

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Delerichard(m): 10:03am On Oct 10, 2015
pls is there any sait student in the house,I need uptodate info abt the sch,I will love to apply for fall 2016 which application will start soon.moreover,I want to know maybe I could pay for my first semester and other fees and work to pay for the second semester and other fees while admitted.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 10:32am On Oct 18, 2015
please am a fashion designer is it kind of lucrative in Canada?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:38pm On Oct 18, 2015
Royat1:
please am a fashion designer is it kind of lucrative in Canada?

People buy their clothes ready-made from department stores or clothing stores, rather than go to the dressmaker/tailor/fashion designer as in Nigeria. A 'fashion designer' in Canada would be someone who made 'haute couture' (along the lines of Dior, Versace, YSL, Gucci, etc). For that you have to undergo training (eg fashion college, internship with high end fashion houses, etc) and then break into the industry. It's a very different definition from what obtains in Nigeria.

Of course you have 'ethnic' clothes makers (African, Asian) who sell fabrics and traditional clothing to their communities. But bear in mind that traditional fabric is more expensive in Canada because it has to be imported; and the community members' first option in many cases is the Western wear readily available (and typically at lower costs) in department stores. In sum, if you are thinking of making traditional African clothes, you are likely going to be offering a specialty, niche service; and you may want to think of doing other things alongside that, to earn your living (e.g., have a full time job and do the clothing business on the side, at least at the beginning.

There are also people who set up shops for alteration and clothes making for the general public (sometimes coupled with dry cleaning services). You would likely benefit from obtaining a diploma or certificate from a college here for tailoring before venturing into that, to give your customers more confidence in your abilities.

It may be possible to do other things with tailoring/clothes making abilities, but the above is what is most readily visible on a daily basis as you go around town. You could try google to search for more information.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.