Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533514 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by DanielUC(m): 1:36am On Dec 07, 2016
Fellow nairalanders, please I just started my application for a certificate program at SAIT. I was told to submit my original certificates for assessment through WES. For those of us who applied from Nigeria, did you submit your original certificates? If no, please I need your guidance.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 5:19pm On Dec 07, 2016
DanielUC:
Fellow nairalanders, please I just started my application for a certificate program at SAIT. I was told to submit my original certificates for assessment through WES. For those of us who applied from Nigeria, did you submit your original certificates? If no, please I need your guidance.
Hope to hear from you soon.
DanielUC:
I am an intending student of SAIT too. Please when applying from Nigeria, did you submit your original certificates for the admission processing?

I guess SAIT has changed the rules again this year. When we applied, they had us send our original first degree certificate to them for assessment. If they are asking for it to be done through WES then i guess they are trying to centralize everything. In that case, do something called an educational assessment with WES. You can have them send the result to you and then SAIT.
If you think about it, its kinda better because you will need the WES assessment when applying for your OR later.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by DanielUC(m): 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2016
@holotee...Thanks for your response but does this mean that I can't send coloured photocopies of all my certificates? Cos I fear that anything could happen to my originals...

I also would like to know if you are a student there. Would love to contact you.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 6:29pm On Dec 08, 2016
DanielUC:
@holotee...Thanks for your response but does this mean that I can't send coloured photocopies of all my certificates? Cos I fear that anything could happen to my originals...

I also would like to know if you are a student there. Would love to contact you.

Thanks

That decision solely depends on WES. When i did my WES evaluation, all they asked for was coloured copies. Don't know if that rule has changed as well.
Was a student at SAIT.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by wealthkata: 2:40am On Dec 16, 2016
did you change it from bureau de change or banks
holotee:

Last month i changed at 320
The one i changed last 2 weeks ago was 310
three days ago i changed at 300
yesterday my guy said he changed at 310

At this point it really depends on your "mallam"

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by wealthkata: 2:57am On Dec 16, 2016
HEY HOUSE, GOOD MORNING. PLS I APPLIED TO CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY FOR CERTIFICATE PROGRAM WHICH IS A YEAR PROGRAM, BUT MY CONTENTION IS THAT WILL I BE ASKED TO PAY FOR THE WHOLE TUITION FEE AT ONCE OR PART PAYMENT. ANYBODY WITH THE PAYMENT IDEA SHOULD HELP WITH GOOD INFORMATION.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 10:36am On Dec 16, 2016
julzonyi:
Please can I have your email address as I already have an MSC and I want to go for a PGD in lambton college. Please get in touch.

Bro, my own candid advice .just go for PhD .you won't regret it. Cos you might be denied based on purpose of visit, cos you have an MSC already .no progression in career

The likelihood of denial in PhD is 1% if you arrange your docs very well .chances are 99% grin

Don't stress it
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2016
Good day, i am making arrangements for my movement to toronto, i couldnt find a general overview of things i should go with. the DOs and DONTs. I have no idea where to start. I need assistance.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 5:16pm On Dec 16, 2016
wealthkata:
did you change it from bureau de change or banks

I know lots of peeps that have naira and need CAD or vice versa. I just call and ask around.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 5:19pm On Dec 16, 2016
wealthkata:
HEY HOUSE, GOOD MORNING. PLS I APPLIED TO CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY FOR CERTIFICATE PROGRAM WHICH IS A YEAR PROGRAM, BUT MY CONTENTION IS THAT WILL I BE ASKED TO PAY FOR THE WHOLE TUITION FEE AT ONCE OR PART PAYMENT. ANYBODY WITH THE PAYMENT IDEA SHOULD HELP WITH GOOD INFORMATION.

Most of the time, especially for certificate programs, schools ask for full payment because its one year. It is on special considerations that they allow part payment. Find a way to contact their International center and they will be in the best position to advise you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 5:22pm On Dec 16, 2016
emma4eva:
Good day, i am making arrangements for my movement to toronto, i couldnt find a general overview of things i should go with. the DOs and DONTs. I have no idea where to start. I need assistance.

This is a wide open ended question with very little information. I guess you should make sure your winter gear is on point and money of course.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 6:25pm On Dec 16, 2016
holotee:

This is a wide open ended question with very little information. I guess you should make sure your winter gear is on point and money of course.
Winter gear CHECKED.. what kind of foodstuff do u recommend i go with.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2016
emma4eva:
Winter gear CHECKED.. what kind of foodstuff do u recommend i go with.

Whatever food you like is fine. Meanwhile Canadian border security has its own list of prohibited items like diary products, meat, fish (including gala). Beverages that have milk has the first ingredient will also be removed. As long as you declare all the items ure bringing in including cash; you should be fine.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 8:10pm On Dec 16, 2016
holotee:

Whatever food you like is fine. Meanwhile Canadian border security has its own list of prohibited items like diary products, meat, fish (including gala). Beverages that have milk has the first ingredient will also be removed. As long as you declare all the items ure bringing in including cash; you should be fine.
Thanks, i appreciate.. am entering there as a jjc, any personal advice i should have in mind?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 8:21pm On Dec 16, 2016
emma4eva:
Thanks, i appreciate.. am entering there as a jjc, any personal advice i should have in mind?

Be true to yourself and make friends. Ask questions (especially from your Nigerian friends); they have probably gone through what your about to experience. Stay informed. Rules change all the time so u gotta be up to date.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 8:35pm On Dec 16, 2016
holotee:

Be true to yourself and make friends. Ask questions (especially from your Nigerian friends); they have probably gone through what your about to experience. Stay informed. Rules change all the time so u gotta be up to date.
thank you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maestro09: 2:48am On Dec 17, 2016
Good day house. I'm going for my masters in software engineering and intelligent systems at the university of Alberta next year. Please I would like to know the job opportunities for me after I'm through. Thanks @ jojcanada holotee
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 5:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
maestro09:
Good day house. I'm going for my masters in software engineering and intelligent systems at the university of Alberta next year. Please I would like to know the job opportunities for me after I'm through. Thanks @ jojcanada holotee

This program will probably take about 2 years. A lot can happen in two (2) years. Most of Alberta's economy relies on Oil and it makes it even more volatile. However right now, this is what i found on indeed ............

https://www.indeed.com/q-Intelligent-Systems-Technology-jobs.html
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 7:43pm On Dec 20, 2016
holotee:

Boss, which do you recommend.. life in toronto or london in ontario.. I have admission in both schools in both cities.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 20, 2016
emma4eva:
Boss, which do you recommend.. life in toronto or london in ontario.. I have admission in both schools in both cities.
congratulations
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 10:43am On Dec 21, 2016
emma4eva:

Looks like you got admission to McMaster and ryerson.
McMaster is a top school - one of the 10 best schools in Canada and in the world's top 200. Ryerson is way below. Google McMaster and I bet you won't even consider ryerson

Ryerson is in heart of Toronto which means that cost of living/rent would be more expensive than McMaster in Ontario. I'm not in Canada but I've done a bit of research on these kind of things.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 11:35am On Dec 21, 2016
iykedare:

Looks like you got admission to McMaster and ryerson.
McMaster is a top school - one of the 10 best schools in Canada and in the world's top 200. Ryerson is way below. Google McMaster and I bet you won't even consider ryerson

Ryerson is in heart of Toronto which means that cost of living/rent would be more expensive than McMaster in Ontario. I'm not in Canada but I've done a bit of research on these kind of things.
Good analysis, the second school is actually western University not Mcmaster. What do you think?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 1:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
emma4eva:
Good analysis, the second school is actually western University not Mcmaster. What do you think?

I still prefer McMaster but you need to a deeper research on the reputation of your course in these schools. Western is also a highly ranked school .

Did any of them offer you scholarship or co op? Scholarship and co op are the only thing that will tilt the balance.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emma4eva(m): 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
iykedare:

I still prefer McMaster but you need to a deeper research on the reputation of your course in these schools.

Did any of them offer you scholarship or co op?
bro I didnt say I got admission at Mcmaster... I said between ryerson university in toronto and western university in london.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 2:14pm On Dec 21, 2016
emma4eva:
bro I didnt say I got admission at Mcmaster... I said between ryerson university in toronto and western university in london.

Oh sorry. Western university then.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by holotee(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2016
iykedare is quite right.
Both are two very different cities and far apart in so many ways. Toronto is freakin busy while London is on the quiet side. Busy means more expensive while London is way cheaper. It now boils down to you as the individual. Choose what you want to do based on your program and your heart desire. Both schools are designated learning institutions so that's out of the way. You might also consider reputation but its really up to you. I am a firm believer of making up ones mind and sticking to it no matter what.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bfn1: 2:37am On Dec 22, 2016
Following

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.