Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job (11130 Views)

Have A Customized Linkedin Profile And Include On Your CV / See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin / Got A Job Through Linkedin??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 3:08pm On Feb 06, 2012
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network with over 120 million members and growing rapidly. LinkedIn connects you to your trusted contacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities with a broader network of professionals. It is a great way to connect with other professionals in your field. ,many people use this website to network, others to build partnerships, and lastly to find a job. There are many great tools about Linkedin that I will introduce in future post, but today I wanted to focus on Linkedin groups, and its great benefits.

Have you ever joined a Linkedin group, and then thats the end of it. You are the type to never contribute, or don’t even peek in once in a while to see what active discussions are taking place If you are not actively using your Linkedin groups, you are missing out on plenty opportunities to network with people, and some of the best jobs are posted in these groups. I can attest to the value of Linkedin groups because I actually got my current job from one. If you are lost or confused on how to use Linkedin groups here are some tips you can implement now to leverage the current groups you have.

Start your own group

As a young HR professional I was looking for a group that catered to young Nigerians in the field. I was not able to find one so I started my own called Young HR Professionals: Nigeria. It is a great way to show your leadership skills, as well as find and make connections with people who have a similar interest. Your group does not have to be big. Even a small group can have meaningful discussions.

Join groups targeted to your profession

A lot of people make the mistakes of joining hundreds of groups, and then they end up getting lost in the shuffle. Realistically find 2 to 5 groups that cater to your background, and be a visible member in those groups. The more visible you are in the groups, the more you can learn from others. Many times I use groups to ask about challenges I am facing at work, and members are more than happy to assist you.
Join active discussions

You will always find a few active discussions that everyone is commenting on. Those are the discussions that you should join to show your expertise to other members. Make sure to add insightful commentary, and help out another fellow member that has a questions as well. if you continue to be visible,and add worthy comments to discussions, soon members will see you as a thought leader within the group.

Start a discussion

Not only should you participate in active discussions, but you should also start your own. It can be a question you have about work, or a thought provoking statement that gets everyone talking. Do not go into the group and after 5 minutes of being there you ask that you need a job. Actually spend some time in the group to gauge everyone’s temperature. Observe what continues to be a hot topic, what are people’s main concerns. This is a great tool if done strategically and can create a great amount of engagement.

Network Network Network

Linkedin groups is a great way to network with other people in your industry. Maybe you notice someone always posting thoughtful comments about a topic that is of interest to you.  It is a great conversation starter if you are looking to connect or send a message. Of course do not stalk someone, or do not use Linkedin groups to be abrasive either. take the time to notice who is who in each group. With time you will know the right time to connect with someone new. I have made a lot of great connections from groups, simply because someone liked what I posted or vice versa.
There are a lot of hidden incentives from actively participating in Linkedin groups. Whether it is a new job, partnership, or speaking engagement, Linkedin groups is definitely an investment that is well worth your time.

http://naijacareerist.com/linkedin-101-how-to-leverage-your-groups/

1 Like

Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by highland(m): 4:05pm On Feb 06, 2012
Thanks so much for this piece. Good for me at this time.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Nicols(m): 4:17pm On Feb 06, 2012
Very insightful. Thanks for sharing.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by economia: 4:27pm On Feb 06, 2012
I LIKE THIS.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 4:36pm On Feb 06, 2012
Thank you everyone I really appreciate it. If you are on twitter I will be talking more about using Linkedin on my #hirenaijachat on thursday at 2 pm. I also will be doing a few more post on Linkedin on how to get a job like I did using my network.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Kaygeminix(f): 4:58pm On Feb 06, 2012
nice article
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by NET1(m): 5:36pm On Feb 06, 2012
very nice article!!

.NET
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Mcfemad(m): 5:39pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Op,
       Please how do i join a LinkedIn group?
pls rply
thanks
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by lifestyle1(m): 5:58pm On Feb 06, 2012
Mcfemad:

@Op,
       Please how do i join a LinkedIn group?
pls rply
thanks

http://www.linkedin.com/ cool
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by kulgee001(m): 6:02pm On Feb 06, 2012
Enlightening!, Thanks alot. Now following you on twitter too
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by kulgee001(m): 6:05pm On Feb 06, 2012
Enlightening!, Thanks alot. Now following you on twitter too
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Akiika: 6:05pm On Feb 06, 2012
Good job by the poster!
Get peeps at home informed on beneficial stuffs, not some tribal, religious, ethnic, divisive gibberish topics some NLers post that the so-called moderator(Seun) put on the front page.
Get a good value for the investment on your internet service.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Raxxye(m): 6:24pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nice post. Thanks @OP
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by icez: 6:44pm On Feb 06, 2012
nice.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by ogbongzky(m): 8:32pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nice post there, This is stuffs i wish to be seeing on the homepage.

I joined a group for bloggers @ LinkedIn and am really enjoying it. I keep learning there while also doing all I can to help others.

My LinkedIn id= 35491692
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2012
To join a linkedin group simply do a search on the type of group you are looking for and then on the top you should see a button that says join. You must have signed up to Linkedin before joining a Linkedin group. What other questions do you have about Linkedin? I will address them in future post.

Also you can follow me at @ChikaUwazie on twitter for more career advice
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Wallie(m): 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2012
1. Be careful what you post on LinkedIn as potential employers can also read it. There are times that I applied for a position and I could see that someone from that company looked at my profile. The site is not anonymous like Nairaland. Remember that “It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.”

2. Try to include keywords used in your field when describing your experience. I have gotten a few interviews from recruiters reaching out to me and I didn’t even apply to their company. My guess is that they probably searched for some keywords and my name popped up.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Wexelion(m): 10:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nice thread
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by cashful(m): 10:43pm On Feb 06, 2012
nice one, thanks for sharing
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by youngdee168(m): 11:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nice article, tanx 4 d knowledge shared.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by sniperwolf(m): 1:17am On Feb 07, 2012
Good piece I must say
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by yamakuza: 8:06pm On Feb 07, 2012
Bringing it closer home, you can click HERE to enjoy our own version.

Groups : YES
Discussions: YES
Networking: YES
Job Placement: Maybe
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by ortopazz(m): 7:05am On Feb 08, 2012
Met an old clasmate since pri.sch nw in TX. Via thz linkdn.

My quest. Cn I meet yung aspiring journalist aiming 4 heights buh stuckd on sumthing else?

Neva realy knew the essence of d site nt until nw! Thanks and gr8 piece of info!
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
In addition,

You can add individuals outside your field. Most people are quite curious and wish to know more about other people in other sectors. You can also send a "Thanks for the add" message to a potential contact once the individual has added you. Most are nice and civil enough to respond. From there you can ignite a rapport, even a very cordial relationship which could go places.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Timi1990(m): 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2012
@OP Pls how do i join a group on Linkedin, i want to join the HRM group. Am still an undergraduate, and want 2 learn 4rm d masterz of d game. Hav already joined Linkedin.
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by moshoodn(m): 7:43pm On Feb 18, 2012
so so insightful
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by yogun(f): 6:31pm On Mar 22, 2012
Tnks for sharing dis
Quite insightful
Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by Jarus(m): 8:37pm On Apr 04, 2012
That network was helpful to me in a recruitment exercise I'm currently undergoing.
I was doing some Google-searching on the company, an E&P company, when I bumped into the company's Linkedln page; and incidentally saw the name of the person I was asked to see on interview day on the list of the company's staff on Linkedln professional network. I clicked her name, read her profile and saw that she had only recently worked for a company that is one of the sister companies to my current organization. I immediately called my friend in her former company to inquire about her. At least I was able to get info beforehand on one of the people that would interview me. I got idea about her and her personality and I had clues to what to emphasize during the interview. Uncertainty was at least eliminated and made my brain to hit the interview ground running, instead of spending first few minutes trying to understand your interviewer.

2 Likes

Re: How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job by ogunnubio(m): 7:48pm On Apr 08, 2012
Hi, this is a very good piece of advice. Am having problem participating in the group discussions. Each time i want to start a discussion, it will tell me to click on "poll" and have tried that several times and all to no avail. I can only make comments on other peoples' posts. Pls, help me out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? / Can't Complete NIMC Registration,pls Help !!! / Help Me Define My Career Path

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.