Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,404 members, 7,958,171 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:15 AM

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (49368 Views)

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' / Chlorophyl And The Sickle Cell Person / Please Explain What Genotype AC Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by faozidion: 12:17pm On Mar 26, 2010
@ Poster. If they really love each other, they can marry because the only tendency of having a SS out of four children is 1 (i.e AA, AS, AS and SS), so it doesnt mean all ur children will be SS.

If u are very prayerful, then maybe u might not have atall. Wish you the Best. smiley
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2010
^^^
Wrong info.
All your 4 kids could be SS or all AA or any other random permutation.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by MCLOVIN: 9:11am On Mar 27, 2010
this thread is more than 4 yrs old.
Is the OP still responding ?
@ bluediva and faozidion
There are rules for determining this, not hap-hazard random permutations. Theyre called the rules of MENDELIAN INHERITANCE.
If AS and AS conjugate, according to the rules you get: AA, AS, AS, SS.
This means you have a 1/4 chance of producing AA. 1/2 of AS. And 1/4 chance of SS.
These are only CHANCES ie probabilities
So Bluediva is right in that sense, you can end up with all AA. All SS or anything else in-between. Theoretically Theres a 25% chance of SS , so faozidion is rite also (as far as THEORY) goes.
Life is a gamble that starts in-utero.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by tayore: 11:59am On Mar 29, 2010
So much as i believe in sampling other peoples opinion, i still believe that this is a personal issue.
I guess you might not be sure of your reaction to issues until it happens to you. Usually i validate opinions that result from experience. Let me share mine:

I was neck deep in a relationship before the chance of checking my partner's genotype status came up. I was sure of my Genotype (AS) and my Partner's frequent malaria attacks made us assume he is AA. 
We therefore never bothered to check his genotype status until a certain need made him to. By then i was already 6 months pregnant.
We got the shock of our lives when the result revealed his genotype as AS!

Our baby came and her Genotype was later confirmed to be AS!

PART 2

My first Union hit the rocks so i had to get into another. By then i knew to check for Genotype status in advance. All of my smartness did not help much because i ended up with another AS Genotype Partner. Don't ask me how because i cant just explain it.
Now,what do we do? Do we adopt kids? That was out of it! Do we stay without making Kids? NO way! 
We finally agreed to do foetal genotype screening when I'm pregnant.

Let me go straight to the point. For reasons beyond our control we were unable to do any test until the baby came. His Genotype?  AA!

CONCLUSION

As Humans, our best can end-up in FUTILITY. God has his way of doing things!
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by katchy(f): 9:31am On Apr 02, 2010
The AS and SS are going through untold emotional trauma, i ve had by fair share of it, Some times u have to stick to a relationship with no care and love cos he is AA or have some good short rlships that could have amounted to true love cos they are AS, am a good example. Some times i fear if we the AS have the chance to love or we might just get married for the sake of healthy children and forget abt been madly in love. Some late marriages are due to this and the AS pple keep ending off rlships if they rnt so lucky to meet an AA , while the AA get married to who ever, i envy them, I do. That leaveS AS pple unmarried and of course THEY CAN COPULATE cos no one wants and SS child.

It is a pain been a carrier and more excruciating pain being a sickler.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Ladyrsky46: 10:55pm On Nov 12, 2010
katchy:

The AS and SS are going through untold emotional trauma, i ve had by fair share of it, Some times u have to stick to a relationship with no care and love cos he is AA or have some good short rlships that could have amounted to true love cos they are AS, am a good example. Some times i fear if we the AS have the chance to love or we might just get married for the sake of healthy children and forget abt been madly in love. Some late marriages are due to this and the AS pple keep ending off rlships if they rnt so lucky to meet an AA , while the AA get married to who ever, i envy them, I do. That leaveS AS pple unmarried and of course THEY CAN COPULATE cos no one wants and SS child.

Word! We have to be so careful of who we love and end up with sad

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by eewule(m): 2:40pm On Jun 22, 2011
People keep saying here DO NOT MARRY AS/AS for this and that reason, Its really down to the individual to decide. undecided sad

I think the solution to AS/AS marriage is to simply decide not to have kids, if the love is so powerful and true, then its not compulsory that you will breakup the relationship because of your genotype, Its simply a matter of sacrifice (if you really feeling the passion so badly)

either you sacrifice having children > to stay with your lover (and maybe adopt kids), or sacrifice your sweet love > to have children with somebody else. But if the love is so powerful then go ahead knowing that it will be a childless marriage.
U See, its not easy to find some one you feel, while also picking out As/Ss genotypes at same time.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by eewule(m): 2:48pm On Jun 22, 2011
katchy:

The AS and SS are going through untold emotional trauma, i ve had by fair share of it, Some times u have to stick to a relationship with no care and love cos he is AA or have some good short rlships that could have amounted to true love cos they are AS, am a good example. Some times i fear if we the AS have the chance to love or we might just get married for the sake of healthy children and forget abt been madly in love. Some late marriages are due to this and the AS pple keep ending off rlships if they rnt so lucky to meet an AA , while the AA get married to who ever, i envy them, I do. That leaveS AS pple unmarried and of course THEY CAN Reproduce cos no one wants and SS child.

DONT ENVY THE AA - THERE IS A REASON TO EVERYTHING - I AM AN AS MYSELF AND THROUGH RESEARCH I HAVE LEARNT THAT AS HAVE FAR MORE RESISTANCE TO THE MALARIA PARASITE THAN AA - CAUSED BY SHORTER LIFESPAN OF RED BLOOD CELLS IN AS's. TESTS CARRIED OUT INDICATE THAT WHILE AN AA CAN DIE FROM MALARIA ATTACKS AS's HAVE A MUCH HIGHER CHANCE OF SURVIVAL.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by amarush(f): 5:58pm On Jun 22, 2011
I am british born was tested at birth and found to be AS, travlled to Nigeria in 2004 and met my now husband. My husband has been tested in Nigeria and told he was AA, so we never had any worries. However, when i was pregnant (2009) and because of my geno type, hospital insisted that my husband be tested as they had found that people tested abroad (Asia and Africa) there was a high incidence of mistaken results. Anway, so they tested by husband (who was 200% positive that result would be AA) and went to get the result. The nurse started off "this is the reason we often test those from abroad, your result is AS! My hubby looked like he was going to collapse and i was dumbstruck! Anyway as is was still in the first trimester, we opted to test the unborn baby (needle is inserted and fluid from the sac is taken to be tested). We waited 2 weeks for the result and the hospital called to say , your baby is AA!!!! 6 months lator gave birth to a beautiful girl. We were soooooo happy, but dont know what we would have done if the result was SS. Being an IGBo man (and only son of his parents) he wanted to have a large family, but now that we are carriers have decided to limit and pray that they are AA or AS. We r currently trying for a second, the joy of being pregnant will be tinged with the realisation that we will test the unborn baby again for sickle cell. The wait to find out was the longest few weeks of my life and im not lookin forward to doing it again.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by lacidi: 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2012
daisy2010: WHAT IF IT CHANGES?/ look i believe all things are possible if u believe so it will change, it must change.period!!!im going for a test on monday and will shear my testimony .
Funny, we didnt get to read Daisy's testimony of the genotype change again. Daisy, please come back and give us the testimony, it's over 2 years already!
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by larny(m): 7:19pm On Jul 24, 2012
i want somebody to explain extensivly genotype sc because am ac nd my gf is as.and am nt ready to leave her,d worst we can get is sc.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by kaytempo: 11:44am On Jun 10, 2013
amarush: I am british born was tested at birth and found to be AS, travlled to Nigeria in 2004 and met my now husband. My husband has been tested in Nigeria and told he was AA, so we never had any worries. However, when i was pregnant (2009) and because of my geno type, hospital insisted that my husband be tested as they had found that people tested abroad (Asia and Africa) there was a high incidence of mistaken results. Anway, so they tested by husband (who was 200% positive that result would be AA) and went to get the result. The nurse started off "this is the reason we often test those from abroad, your result is AS! My hubby looked like he was going to collapse and i was dumbstruck! Anyway as is was still in the first trimester, we opted to test the unborn baby (needle is inserted and fluid from the sac is taken to be tested). We waited 2 weeks for the result and the hospital called to say , your baby is AA!!!! 6 months lator gave birth to a beautiful girl. We were soooooo happy, but dont know what we would have done if the result was SS. Being an IGBo man (and only son of his parents) he wanted to have a large family, but now that we are carriers have decided to limit and pray that they are AA or AS. We r currently trying for a second, the joy of being pregnant will be tinged with the realisation that we will test the unborn baby again for sickle cell. The wait to find out was the longest few weeks of my life and im not lookin forward to doing it again.

Pls, what hospital? And how much did it cost you?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by sammyjay76(m): 11:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
As part of our intensive research and herbal methodology success
we have purely herbal formula containing the three compatibility of
great remedies that now cure Sickle cell as fast as possible in the cases of frequent crisis
and and sever pains!
For the benefits of no doubt we accept to give out the sample for a token
or like to meet with you one on one if possible with your patient for treatment
Hope you will love this too! Lets hear your opinions.
There are deeper knowledge in mother nature!
www.facebook.com/scdremedyplus
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by ay0201(m): 3:57pm On Dec 25, 2013
abeleon: well,
i know the chances of having an SS for a child is 25%. but what about the remaining 75% chance of NOT having?
i don't think it's end of the world for the two in love. and even if they have the child, it can be managed well. i know a girl who's SS but you couldn't know unless you were told. i also know a family of five kids with none SS though both parents were AS.

i don't think it is reason enough to kill a marriage, but i also don't surport causing endless pains to kids who could escape it. like a friend said, why fight a war if it can be avoided?

hmm, what's my position sef? i'm beginning to lose it, or, ?
Pls, forget the statistics it doesn't work in nature. Married carriers of the AS genotype variant could have their first child or any one of their kids with the SS variant. Pls, let's not tempt God.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by AbewelaRoyal: 9:14am On Jan 27, 2015
I AM 'AS' AND GOT MARRIED TO ANOTHER ''AS''.NOW I HAVE 4 KIDS (2 BOYS 2 GIRLS). BUT NONE OF MY KIDS IS A SICKLER. THEY ARE ALL "AS".
PLS HOW DO U EXPLAIN THIS.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by vinotinto5: 10:04am On Apr 25, 2017
Have you come across the BEST HEALTH SITE in Nigeria? https://naturesgist.com/ . They are certainly the best to me. I came across it via Google and I got the information I needed. I used that opportunity to go through some of their articles, and I saw that they are all unique, comprehensive and amazing. These are kinds of sites I love. If the owners are reading this now, Please I will say GOOD STUFF!!!!! You guys make us proud...
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by zoedicus: 11:02am On Aug 24, 2017
I think this might help....Sickle Cell Foundation of Nigeria is a cool place.
They've got labs and offer clinical services there too. You can run tests, treat leg ulcer, and get genetic advice from them.
Check out the facebook page here -

https://www.facebook.com/sicklecellfoundation/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Jedi-jedi In English? / What Helps You Sleep At Night? / Cure For Chronic Mouth Odour.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.