Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,146 members, 7,849,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:55 AM

Is It God's Will For Us To Be Rich? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It God's Will For Us To Be Rich? (562 Views)

Is It Possible To Change God's Will Through Prayer ? / Who Will Return To Judge And Save Mankind , Is It GOD Or Is It JESUS ? / Is It God's Will For Us To Be Rich? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It God's Will For Us To Be Rich? by Chuksxp: 11:59pm On Feb 07, 2012
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I've never really posted in this section, but after going through a couple of posts I think I may need to start posting from time to time. And I pray you all would be blessed by all I have to say.

First off, I'd like to throw some light on a very popular topic which has led to countless debates and arguments; does God want us to be rich?

I've said it a couple of times and will keep saying it; God doesn't want us to be rich neither does He want us to be poor. The bible makes it clear that God's will is for us to be CONTENT with whatever He gives us. If we actually believed that God is in control and all things are working together for the good of those who love God, we would be a lot more content with what God has given us than trying to make things go the way we want it. The Bible says ALL THINGS work together for our good. And this ALL THINGS could include prosperity and poverty, health and sickness. Nevertheless, God's will is for us to be content.

Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. - 1 Timothy 6:6

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being CONTENT in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. - Philippians 4:12

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be CONTENT with what you have,  - Hebrews 13:5a

God's greatest desire for us is that we be conformed into the image of His Son, Jesus Christ; and He will do that whether through prosperity or poverty. When we look through the New Testament we will find that there's actually no single promise of material prosperity for believers here on earth. Most scriptures used by prosperity advocates are usually taken out of context. In fact, Jesus wasn't rich, neither was Paul nor any of the Apostles. We do see Paul's testimony in 1 Corinthians 4:11 - "To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless."

I would even go farther to say that scripture does warn us that those who chase after money do easily fall into temptation.

For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. - 1 Timothy 6:7-9

, people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain. - 1 Timothy 6:5

Jesus did come to give us the abundant life, as He said in John 10:10. But He was quick to stress that this abundant life has nothing to do with material possessions. Thus in Luke 12:15, He stated, ", life does not consist in an abundance of possessions." - Luke 12:15b . So what kind of life is the abundant life? It is Eternal Life. What is Eternal Life? He defines it in John 17:3 - "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

My point is all of these is that we should focus on seeking Jesus. He may or may not bless us materially. Let's be content. I'm not just telling you guys this; I'm also telling myself because I too struggle in this area. God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help Me / As An Ox Led To The Slaughter / Solving Marital Problems And Other Challenges With Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.