Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. (14694 Views)

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin? / Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... / Why Do Black People Bleach Their Skins? Effect Of Bleaching Creams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Ideraolu: 12:04am On Feb 08, 2012
Skin bleaching is now a trendy ideology to some. beyond doubt, some men are part of these disgraceful act.

Fellow NL, can we have some discussion on the topic in question and if possible let's have some picture to educate those that may want to switch course.

Please be objective with your rationale.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by agiboma(f): 9:39am On Feb 08, 2012
Yes. Lets discuss skin bleaching. I think their is nothing wrong with it. They say it causes cancer but has that been proven low percentage hydroquinone is relatively safe to use over a long term basis, the research has shown. Now i have toned my skin in the past and still continue to do so. My legs and other body parts are like 3 shades lighter than my face. I wanted to be 1 color so i toned. I dont see this act as being disgraceful as you stated in your post. I just see it as improving an area of my body and acheiving one colour.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Ideraolu: 10:23am On Feb 08, 2012
agiboma:

Yes. Lets discuss skin bleaching. I think their is nothing wrong with it. They say it causes cancer but has that been proven low percentage hydroquinone is relatively safe to use over a long term basis, the research has shown. Now i have toned my skin in the past and still continue to do so. My legs and other body parts are like 3 shades lighter than my face. I wanted to be 1 color so i toned. I dont see this act as being disgraceful as you stated in your post. I just see it as improving an area of my body and acheiving one colour.

Thanks for your take on the subject, i will like to respect your opinion as long as your are happy with what you have achieved.
You sound informed and know about the limit of the active content but what about those people that turns black to white overnight.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by highland(m): 1:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
Whatever your idea about bleaching, please remember safety of your health is the most important consideration. Thanks
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by agiboma(f): 1:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
Idera_olu:

Thanks for your take on the subject, i will like to respect your opinion as long as your are happy with what you have achieved.
You sound informed and know about the limit of the active content but what about those people that turns black to white overnight.

Yes. Black to white is excessive and the person may have some self esteem problems perhapes! That is when i also think its rediculos and the person should really ask themselves why they are doing this to themselves.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by kizito96(m): 2:23pm On Feb 08, 2012
Complex
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by manny4life(m): 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2012
kizito96:

Complex

Thank you brother, you took the words out of my mouth.

Inferiority complex. angry angry angry
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by onila(f): 2:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
obsessed with beauty
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ariyebaba(m): 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE MONEY TO THROW AROUND ON CREAMS. E.G MICHEAL JACKSON,STELLA,AKALA,ETC
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley grin shocked kiss
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ismhab(m): 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
they want to become lighter so as to attract their partner.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by omega25red(m): 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2012
People bleach their skin for many reasons one being the notion that people who are of fairer skin color are favored be it in the work place, when being selected as a mate or even just everyday life. Yes these issues do exist but people also encourage it directly and indirectly.

if you look at commercials on tv in magazine most of the people you see are either white or light skinned black women and it's human nature to want to emulate what you find attractive. Anyway to each is own

skin cancer is a serious possibility due to skin bleaching most especially for those in the tropical countries with sun shine about 300 days a year and no sun screen lotion. be careful
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by manny4life(m): 2:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
^^^

Are you really in Virginia? If you are, what part?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Samola1(m): 3:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
They are nt happy d way they are beta stil cud feel inferior.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by babyboy3(m): 3:05pm On Feb 08, 2012
Theirs an attraction for fairer skin coloured skin going back to the days of Abraham
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by queensmith: 3:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
I dont understand people! I don't! i will never get it! ever!

why is skin bleaching, soo wrong, soo disgraceful, causing everyone to hyperventilate.

yet tanning, permanant make up, weave on, tattoos, piercings and the likes are acceptable? why is it?

why do people direct such hatred to bleaching, but are fine with everything else?

Does the beauty myth not include much more?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by omega25red(m): 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2012
manny4life:

^^^

Are you really in Virginia? If you are, what part?
yes i am im in Arlington. i work at Rosslyn

where you at?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ssjalo(m): 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
I wonder why others are wasting their money cos to make themselves beauty or white whatsoever they call it.
I believed it's a waste of time and energy, although some people may think it's right to do it. But if you observe well most of the beauty contestant were coming out in their natural beauty or appearance apart a little make up which will make them more attractive and beauty.
         Secondly most of the guys they didn't like ladies engage themselves in bleaching cos apart from the odour coming from them, it also affect their skin due to some chemical that going through hairy holes. More importantly both religion(Christianity and Muslim) stand firmly against it.

Thanks.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by omega25red(m): 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
queensmith:

I dont understand people! I don't! i will never get it! ever!

why is skin bleaching, soo wrong, soo disgraceful, causing everyone to hyperventilate.

yet tanning, permanant make up, weave on, tattoos, piercings and the likes are acceptable? why is it?

why do people direct such hatred to bleaching, but are fine with everything else?

Does the beauty myth not include much more?
i guess because bleaching causes a dramatic change as for makeup you can remove it, weaves you can remove tanning will eventually go away (skin cancer) but bleaching is like so obvious and out there
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2012
I think it comes down to self-hate and having low self-esteem
I don't know why people will want a skin without melanin over a skin with melanin
Black skin is adaptable to any weather, and the same can't be said about others

Bleaching of the skin is the same with black people, who would strive to be anything but AFRICAN
Bleaching of the skin is the same as worshipping foreign Gods, which has nothing in common with the traditional African spirituality - Allah of Mecca, and Jesus of Israel

Like Wole Soyinka said: "A mistake in London is fashion in Nigeria," go figure,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Feb 08, 2012
yet tanning, permanant make up, weave on, tattoos, piercings [/b]and the likes are acceptable? why is it?

There is nothing wrong with [b]tattoos
and piercings - Africans have been doing the two way before the first White man left mountain caucasus - they're both forms of African beauty,

Weaves, lacefronts and tanning are other forms of self-hate - what's bad in having nappy hair??
And I don't know why black people tan their skin - that's just ridiculous
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by scholes23(m): 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
1) to be lyk me.
2) so d girls will make us fall 4 dem
3) inferiority complex
4) & to be lyk oda fair girls
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by adventisty: 3:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
Dissatisfied and ungratefulness to God the creator
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
Inferiority Complex at its finest.

You can't hate the root of a tree.

If I had my way and became a leader in any African country, I would open a very BIG detention/rehabilitation center for people that bleach cheesy.

I consider it a mental problem cool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by begwong: 3:28pm On Feb 08, 2012
to provide more nutrients to the ants and weevils in their coffin when they are dead!
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by queensmith: 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2012
omega25red:

i guess because bleaching causes a dramatic change as for makeup you can remove it, weaves you can remove tanning will eventually go away (skin cancer) but bleaching is like so obvious and out there

you cant remove permanant make up, or tattoos or piercings and tanning also causes cancer. tattoos are also obvious and out there are they not?

shymmex:

to self-hate and having low self-esteem
I don't know why people will want a skin without melanin over a skin with melanin
Black skin is adaptable to any weather, and the same can't be said about others
I think it comes down
Bleaching of the skin is the same with black people, who would strive to be anything but AFRICAN
Bleaching of the skin is the same as worshipping foreign Gods, which has nothing in common with the traditional African spirituality - Allah of Mecca, and Jesus of Israel

Like Wole Soyinka said: "A mistake in London is fashion in Nigeria," go figure,
THIS is the problem I have with black people and the things we openly do.
They are SOOOOOOO obsessed with slavery they forget many things.
Those that complain about people bleaching their skin are actually the ones with low self esteem and full of self hatred that other people’s action seems to cause soo much of a stir in their emotion.
Why do you feel the need to defend melanin soo much? What exactly will it do for you? Can you not see the aggression is misplaced?
Bleaching has been happening all over the world for CENTURIES!!! White people also used to whiten their skin before travelling abroad became popular!
Bleaching is just another form of beautification; those that indulge deem it fit. Its nothing to do with looking white, or looking like whoever. It’s just another trend.
Getting soo tired of the weave discussion, the bleaching discussion, the rest and the likes are we the only race in the world?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2012
THIS is the problem I have with black people and the things we openly do.
They are SOOOOOOO obsessed with slavery they forget many things.
Those that complain about people bleaching their skin are actually the ones with low self esteem and full of self hatred that other people’s action seems to cause soo much of a stir in their emotion.
Why do you feel the need to defend melanin soo much? What exactly will it do for you? Can you not see the aggression is misplaced?
Bleaching has been happening all over the world for CENTURIES!!! White people also used to whiten their skin before travelling abroad became popular!
Bleaching is just another form of beautification; those that indulge deem it fit. Its nothing to do with looking white, or looking like whoever. It’s just another trend.
Getting soo tired of the weave discussion, the bleaching discussion, the rest and the likes are we the only race in the world?

I'm not obsessed with
slavery
, and I don't have a single slave gene in my body
The problem with you "skin bleachers" is that, you will always look for way to justify your insecurities
You were created with your skin colour for a reason - why bleach it off and expose yourself to skin cancer, just because white people do the same
White people make themselves "whiter" - so you think you have to do the same, huh?? That's mental slavery - and that's skin cancer is now common amongst black people,

As for melanin, you need to go do your own research and see the value it adds to your skin
Why do you think skin cancer is foreign to the black skin??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by omega25red(m): 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
queensmith:

you cant remove permanant make up, or tattoos or piercings and tanning also causes cancer. tattoos are also obvious and out there are they not?

what is permanent makeup? as in tattooed eye brows? i mean with that also i think it insane that someone would limit the options they have as to having their eye brows tattooed or lips tattooed.

body tattoo is out there but people do get them in places that not everyone can see piercings you can still remove. Anyway im not judging you on what you decided to do with your body but im just saying that some people think fairer skin is favored or better lookin than darker skin which is why they choose to bleach.

can you post a pic? im interested to see how light you are.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
can you post a pic? im interested to see how light you are.

I don't think you really want to see "yellow fever." ***Fela's voice****

****Singing Fela's "yellow Fever***
Your yansh go yellow
your face go blue

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by NovusHomo(m): 3:51pm On Feb 08, 2012
The way they smell, yuck! shocked sad angry
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by cynthiafred67(f): 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2012
Because they think when u are fair skinned u are more noticeable than wen u are dark.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by eemmason(m): 4:11pm On Feb 08, 2012
What i know is; bleaching isn't good, @queen if u don't have self-esteem problems, you shouldn't be bothered by this @ all, it's ur life live it!
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Ideraolu: 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
"I'm proud of my color,
anyone who is not proud of his color is not fit to live", Christopher Columbus

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Couple’s Child Died Because They ‘treated’ Him With Prayer, And No Medicine / Moderna's Coronavirus Vaccine Is 94.5% Effective, According To Company Data / Buhari Inaugurates Eye Hospital, Says It Will Reduce Medical Tourism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.