Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,168 members, 7,821,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... (52302 Views)

Deadly Disease Hits Irele In Ondo, Victims Wake Up Blind, At Least 25 Dead / Reasons Why You Wake-up Feeling Tired After A Full Night's Rest / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Olive64(m): 8:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
I don't know for sure, but this happens to me alot(at least once a day). Most often, i find myself falling off a cliff after carelessly stepping on a Banana peel, Or i'm suddenly attacked by something/someone....Funny uh? According to a few researches i made, Tripping in a dream and waking up with a jolt is called a 'Hypnic Jerk’.
A hypnic jerk,hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing him or her to awaken suddenly for a moment.
Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled, often accompanied by a falling sensation. A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.
A ‘Hypnic Jerk’ also known as a ‘Hypnagogic Jerk’, a ‘Sleep Start’ and a ‘Night Start’– is an involuntary twitch which happens during hypnagogia(this is the stage just as a person is about to fall asleep) and it often causes them to suddenly wake up for a moment.
According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine there is a lot of potential causes as to why this happens, these include: anxiety,caffeine,stress and strenuous activities in the evening(BEWARE!!).
‘Hypnic Jerks’ are more frequent in childhood with 4-7 per hour at the age ranging from 8 to 12 years old, and it decreases toward 1-2 per hour at 65 to 80 years old....

CURES FOR HYPNIC JERKS

Some tips to help you minimize the effects:

1).Follow good sleep hygiene, develop a routine and follow it every night.

2).Watch what you eat before bedtime(lol...maybe this is my problem;-))

3).A magnesium, calcium or iron deficiency may be to blame. First try to improve your diet, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Or try a supplement, with those minerals and vitamin C.

4).Heavy exercise too close to bedtime can have an effect. Try to limit heavy weights or cardio sessions in the evening(your quest for 6-packs can waitwink cool). Conversely a gentle walk an hour before bed may help..

5).Smoking or drinking will reduce the quality of your sleep. One drink before bed may help you to fall asleep and avoid the hypnic jerk, however it will reduce the quality of your later sleep. If the jerk is severely dehabilitating then this may be a way to get things

7).Meditation can help relive those negative feedback loops that will make you dread going to bed.

cool.Maintain a positive outlook, and get some tips of relaxation or yoga. The techniques taught in even the most basic class may be enough to allow you to get your mind in a state where sleep comes naturally.

9).A relaxation CD played at night may be the answer. It will give your brain something to do instead of worrying and may quickly become an essential part of your sleep routine(and i don't mean Terry-G's music)

10).If the sleeping disorder is having a negative effect on your life then see a doctor, who may prescribe some medication to help you get that much needed sleep.
I hate it when this happens in public places, most especially at school. Imagine what everyone would think when a quietly-sleeping gentle boy like moi jumps up all of a sudden with so much fear(hehehe funny.....).:-D
For more interesting topics, you can check out my blog.

Source: http://learnxlr..com/2013/09/why-do-people-trip-in-their-dream-and.html?m=0

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by fr3do(m): 9:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
Someone attacked me violently with deadly purpose,in the act of self defense,I moved back and returned with a flying kick,he fell to the ground.omo the guy felt the pain,as he was recovering I gave him another to the tummy,just as I was about to deliver one last blow I heard a voice,the voice was my sister's calling 'efe efe wake up u dey kick wall'.
Unfortunately for me in reality,I slept near a wall...

50 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Olive64(m): 3:31am On Sep 14, 2013
fr3do: Someone attacked me violently with deadly purpose,in the act of self defense,I moved back and returned with a flying kick,he fell to the ground.omo the guy felt the pain,as he was recovering I gave him another to the tummy,just as I was about to deliver one last blow I heard a voice,the voice was my sister's calling 'efe efe wake up u dey kick wall'.
Unfortunately for me in reality,I slept near a wall...
Hahaha....guy you're too funny. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by dominique(f): 9:31am On Sep 14, 2013
Interesting, I've always wondered what could possibly be happening whenever I wake up with a jolt. It hasn't happened to me in a while tho, that mean I must be doing something right cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Lagusta(m): 9:41am On Sep 14, 2013
I used to think I was attacked spiritually.....

Looks like everythng always has a scientific explanation

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by AbuMikey(m): 2:37pm On Sep 14, 2013
........Its a scientific phenomenon afterall.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by deols(f): 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
This is insightful. I have always wanted to know what. It happens to me when I think I should not be sleeping. When I should be doing something else, the jerks act like my alarm clock.

Lagusta: I used to think I was attacked spiritually.....

Looks like everythng always has a scientific explanation
^^

science just finds a way in through studies.

For example,
The abdomen doesn't get painful as a result of kidney stones because scientists say so. Rather, it happens and scientists figured it out.

The almighty is very much God. #justsaying

11 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by manitobor(m): 7:36am On Sep 15, 2013
I used to experience it a lot when I was a child, I no longer experience it frequently.
I don't think there's need to seek a cure for it since its totally harmless.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
cool smiley grin :DWitchcraft attack!
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by adonisgold: 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
happens to me often, usually in the daytime. I had a girlfriend who thought it was demonic attack , feels like you just slipped on something slippery like mud and you trying to regain your balance. Its pretty harmless. Some say its ur soul coming back from Astral travel.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 15, 2013
Read about this sh1t after watching Inception, nice thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Cestmoi1(f): 5:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
*modified*
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by SincereBigot: 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by tolurainbow(m): 5:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
;DChai Harrypotter things....I fear dis lyf.. ;DChai Harrypotter things....I fear dis lyf..
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by fr3do(m): 5:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
It reached!
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by victorazy(m): 5:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
tolurainbow: ;DChai Harrypotter things....I fear dis lyf.. ;DChai Harrypotter things....I fear dis lyf..

grin Matrix grin
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Leobreezy(m): 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
How about not being able to move in your dream, does that have a scientific explanation??
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by talk2hb1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
Yeah @OP is right with Sleeping disorder of a thing, most times I only sleep for 2Hours for 5days in a week. And when I tried to sleep, I tried to use drug to catch a deep sleep.
Great Post
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by olavictors(m): 5:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
Smoking/alcohol is always associated with bad things. No good thing at all. Am not surprised to see it mentioned here again.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by otijah(m): 5:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Leobreezy: How about not being able to move in your dream, does that have a scientific explanation??
yex my broda it does hav a scientific explanation, it simply means u don't hav legs in the dream or u ar handicapped. ANY MORE QUESTIONS?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by trolling(m): 5:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
its your Subconscious returning back into your body,in addition to that the Spirit quickens the body,quicken in this context is jerk
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by otijah(m): 5:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
fr3do: It reached!
its that all u can say this clown, it reached where for God's sake. WAHALA DEY
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by AnOlAd: 5:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
Deliverance straight.... Find your way to MFM....

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by musaajebor(m): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
Falling in dreams ican be traced back to our ancestors who slept on trees . Some people believe that if u dream that u are falling and then u land (ie drop to the ground), u will die in reality.how true is dat?
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by musaajebor(m): 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
otijah: yex my broda it does hav a scientific explanation, it simply means u don't hav legs in the dream or u ar handicapped. ANY MORE QUESTIONS?
MUMU it is called sleep paralysis.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by SamConquer(m): 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
Hehehe....I Love Science,they always get wetin dem go talk with explanation
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Ipheyemmy01(m): 5:51pm On Sep 15, 2013
talk2hb1: Yeah @OP is right with Sleeping disorder of a thing, most times I only sleep for 2Hours for 5days in a week. And when I tried to sleep, I tried to use drug to catch a deep sleep.
Great Post
which work are you doing.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by SamConquer(m): 5:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Liskate(f): 5:53pm On Sep 15, 2013
I think it has to do with your subconscious. Though one is asleep, our subconscious isn't, so sometimes one is aware of things going on around. And your subconscious jolts you awake when it feels harm to its body.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria / Coin Removed From A Russian Man’s Nose After Being Stuck For More Than 50 Years / 10 Important Places To Note When Having Your Bath.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.