Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? (16352 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / Wicked Widowhood Practices That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by slam7000(m): 5:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
Early marriages no matter the tribe and religion should be made a criminal offence,with high rate of VVF and other genito-urethral diseases,i think this should be no 1,then genital mutilation.this is a very hideous and barbaric practice.
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by anonymous6(f): 6:09pm On Feb 08, 2012
HEALTH
1. not taking care of their health or taking it seriously ex. they don't do physicals annually to check their bodies health for heart disease risk, stroke risk, prostate risk, disease risk; they'll wait till the disease has showed their ugly head until they know they have to go to the doctor to fix the problem and by then it is to late because at times the damage to the body has been done, something they could have easily done or avoided with simple health check up's to the doctor in the first place

2.  sometimes they either don't know or are ignorant when it comes to taking care of their bodies physically when it comes to being fit and attractive ex. A few or some turn FAT(pot bellys) after drinking heinkeins and etc like water and eating bread like no mans business. Lets just thank God obesity & Fastfood is non existent in Nigeria and to Nigerians outside Nigeria however over weight people do exist in the Nigerian community.

3. Some don't know that deodorant is very important, or just smelling good is very important in general (I am not talking about the Nigerians that are very poor), I am talking about the ones that have access to it but don't use it or buy cheap ones, simply for body hygiene, some will smell like they just cooked stew or egusi soup or they just didn't wash at all, or something else all together

4. I have noticed some Nigerians in the western world don't mind working 24/7 at a job to buy a house and car and etc for themselves and at times to show off but they fight tooth to nail when it comes to the cost of taking care of their skin and using lotion/creme for their skin, Nigerian women at least some in the western world will pay to the heavens for some tacky weave in their hair but will fight about the price of a simple wash and set for their hair or don't have the patience to let their natural hair grow for two years; they want to cut their hair, and etc but want long hair the next month(knowing that Black womens hair doesn't grow quickly like non-black women hair) and don't have the patience to wait for a year or two for it to grow, so they use weave and their hair gets damaged again after using weave to have long hair. I'm not against Black women using weave, but accept the Bad and good of weave don't complain later when it doesn't come in your favor.

5. Some Nigerian women and bleaching; PLEASE just stop because your face would be light and your hands and feet will be dark as ever, DOES THAT MAKE SENSE, just increasing your risk of skin cancer

6. Some Nigerians, especially Nigerian men still think that women determine the sex of the baby or is 100% the one in charge when it comes to determining the sex of a baby; A Nigerian man who is married and keep's having girls but wants a boy and then blames his wife for the problem he thinks is a issue when it is medically known that it is men who determine the sex of the baby and then he and his family start calling the wife all sorts of names or pressuring her
                                                         OR
if the wife can't have a baby he and his family will label her as a witch and all this nonsense, and say she is that cause when sometimes it is the men that cause it because it is them at times that have fertility problems not the women(low s-perm count); I have heard examples of that.

7. Female G-enital mutilation(it's low in Nigeria but still wrong); this is not good for the body healthwise and there is risk for death and infection
happens all over AFRICA
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLD_dnUfqk0[/flash]

8. Fat houses in Calabar, I don't agree with being anorexic or being fat on purpose non of it is healthy or appealing. That hype that african men like or are attracted to fat women is a lie, at least for the majority
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5QypK_0Ofg[/flash]

9. Abortions; I am against it personally for health reasons not religious though However every Nigerian women has the right to do it but the more you do it and the way you do it can increase the risk of you not having kids in the future; don't go to a quack doctor for example, you may live through it but it could cause the risk of not having any children in the near future. Do it the right way and if you know you are the type that can't keep the legs closed then use a condom for your male partner.
p.s. I am not against abortion being legal though, I am pro-choice but I won't do it personally but I feel the way it is is practiced in Nigeria is a mess

RELIGIOUS BELIEFS
1. Child witch nonsense; that stone age crap needs to go
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDu0-K9cPk[/flash]

2. Sharia Law; leave that in the stone age or with the Muslim Arabs, Black africans have enough problems already
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fbXvq_ZIbw[/flash]

VALUES
1. Nigerian scammers, They are not the majority but they do put a bad image on Nigerians and at times some Nigerians embrace it, that they are singing a song about ex. "I go chop you dollar", what a joke
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0e-pPfITts[/flash]
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_YjvC4ndzM[/flash]
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Cuteobi(f): 6:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
OSU in our igbo culture shud be abolished.
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Outstrip(f): 7:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
99% of it. Too much to list
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by anonimi: 10:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
ifyalways:

@Anonini,All those things u listed are optional and individual choices/decisions.No one forces anyone to host/attend an owambe.Its all about individual priorities and wants.

Do you know any aspect of our culture that is really FORCED on anyone
You always have a choice in life with positive and negative consequencies depending on those whom you make your reference group/society i.e. [size=13pt]peer pressure[/size].
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Theblessed(f): 11:30pm On Feb 08, 2012
[b][size=16pt]No, no, no!!!

Not all our cultural Heritage should be abolished rather, most need reformation of the law and, traditional aspects to align with modern time and living.  

Many of these cultures and traditions are archaiac and should be redress to suit our techno-socio-cultural needs of today.

For example, the Igbo culture of inheritance needs to be looked at SERIOUSLY - women are dis-inherited from their parents properties, once they are married and, that can not be right.  

They do not inherit any thing but they inherit family problems and responsibilities even though they are married - how can that can be right!
It is sinful!!!!!!!!  They say, Rights and Responsibility goes hand in hand but, not in Igbo land - this is evil!

Another, is the Osu stigmatisation, it has to stop. There is no such thing as Osu - it is a demonic practice created by our forefathers! It is the  ancient people that started this rubbish - they worshipped idol and that's evil in the eyes of God.  After all, all human beings are sinners - who isn't?  Show me the person therefore, why treat someone else the way the Osu's of Igboland are treated.  That has to stop as we don't live in the ancient times anymore.

Thirdly, the Bride Price or dowry system has to go.  There is no need for slavery these days - selling people for money.  It is only greed in most families kept this going - it has to stop.  

To me, that's what the Ohaneze of ndi Igbo need to address in this modern times and stop their ita ugba na okporoko and ira ngo, they all enjoy in their Igbo meetings because, it's a waste of our time if they don't address important issues in our culture/traditions to meet with modern times. angry

That's my take!  Now, open your gub at me! cool cool

[/size][/b]
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by AreaFada2: 4:09am On Feb 09, 2012
ifyalways:

Area fada,IMO thats personal/Familal problem not culture.
I think we all need to start off first by defining Culture and cultural pratices.

Culture is not same with societal/generally accepted norm.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Ify,

you will be surprised the reason they do it as they claim is becauase "everybody else is doing it like that now". If something in a particular place/tribe or whatever has become standard behaviour/expectation, it sounds pretty much like comtemporary culture to me.
Don't forget culture evolves. I don't like the direction of evolution of some of our culture (too much extravagance).
It would be purely family problem if only siblings are involved. Family involves all the extended relatives of the clan who suddenly become important as soon as someone dies. But then it may be diffrent in your culture.
They'll face the perceived "well-off" citing other funerals in the clan where the doctor in the US or bisinessman in Lagos or the politician in Abuja singlehandly sponsored the lavish funeral on behalf of his siblings. No be small thing.
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Jiah011(f): 9:13am On Feb 09, 2012
How about pseudo-arranged marriages? The, "em I know someone about your age, he/she will be good for you. Why not meet them. You should marry!" What ever happened to meeting a person normally and getting to know them, without all the pressures of everyone who wants to be in your business and plan huge owambe-style weddings? The emphasis of marriage-by-force is too much in Nigeria! I'm am a supporter of marriage, but Nigerians take it to another level. Then the unfortunate couple are left to fend for themselves after all the party and noise are gone. Desperation is never a good look, either from the man or the woman, or even their family/friends. Marriage is not by force. Why not get to know the person you are marrying a little force before jumping into the whole thing blind?
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Observer1: 11:40am On Feb 09, 2012
Any form of ill treament to the widows or orphans
in the name of tradition.
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by donnie(m): 4:19pm On Feb 09, 2012
I have no problems with the weddings or marriage ceremonies.
What amazes me is the way and manner they celebrate the dead; of even their relatives.
I mean, a family just lost their breadwinner and instead of coming to visit with some food and money to help, you come with your long throat to fight for fufu and pounded yam.

After you force them to spend their last dime on the burial celebration or party, you take away the only car the family has and begin to look around for what else there is to carry. . . maybe the man's wife or perhaps the kids could serve as your slaves, Lord have mercy. This is witchcraft!

You never sent 20k home to your mother. . . Now she is dead, you spend 250k on a party? Nonsense!
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by jaybee3(m): 4:23pm On Feb 09, 2012
Big man/woman syndrome
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:12pm On Feb 18, 2012
[size=38pt]THE TWO ABRAHAMIC RELIGIONS SHOULD BE ABOLISHED[/size]

A commenter said: "also d issue of men physically assaulting his wife should be eliminated and finally blaming d victim of violation on d type of clothes she wears"

I say:

In true Yoruba traditional setting, it's wrong for a lady to dress provocatively, but because of christianity and the so called 'ilaju' we have all sorts of rubbish from some of our females. I am not in support of those male that beat up females who dress indecently, those kind of men are perverts who can control themselves.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-769997.0.html#msg9233689

Koolking:

There is this fetish culture in Lagos (I don't know what they call it) that forbids movement of people (people keep indoors) whenever their activities are on.

This also happens even in the heart of Lagos (Ikeja). Lagos as a megacity should do away with such culture.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-769997.0.html#msg9233689

Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:15pm On Feb 18, 2012

Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:21pm On Feb 18, 2012
so many reason religion should be abolished in nigeria

Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Fragilethaywo(f): 12:20am On Feb 23, 2012
am not so sure of this but y is it compulsory for king to av 2 wives, it a ridiculous idea to me
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Ndipe(m): 12:26am On Feb 23, 2012
In the olden days, I read that the death of a king/influential chief in certain parts of Africa prompted tradition to hunt for human heads to accompany the corpse. Infact, read the novel, "The concubine," it's detailed in the first page of the novel.
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:12pm On Feb 23, 2012
what is wrong with hunting for human heads its a practice done by many tribes around the world. dont you kill other animals
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by saisede: 10:20am On May 25, 2016
all foreign religions, particularly those given to us by the arabs and europeans they have caused too much pain and suffering for us all, our own traditional religion that even required human sacrifice then did not create this much suffering
Re: What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? by Ndipe(m): 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2016
okpurukata:
Extended family system. One person ends up carrying the load of many family extensions

I disagree. Some of our parents were able to rise up in the society only through the help and assistance of the extended family and the community. I can attest to that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland Cultural Office / Lagos City Chorale Wins Three Gold Medals In Germany / Accident: Sultan’s Son, Cousins Recovering Well – Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.