Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria (2008 Views)

Obasanjo Blackmailing President Elect- Senator Rowland Owie / INEC Is Ready For Election: Jonathan And PDP Need To Stop Blackmailing Jega / Amnesty Int’l Blackmailing Nigeria – (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by FSU: 3:45pm On Oct 17, 2007
Do we really owe Taiwo Akinkumi?

IT has become quite a ritual every October 1 - Nigeria's Independence Day Anniversary - for 68-year Michael Taiwo Akinkumi to publicly blame the country and indeed all of us for his poverty stricken existence despite being the "genius" behind our extraordinarily bland green-white-green national flag.

The crux of Akinkumi's yearly lamentations is that Nigeria has not recognised his "historic" contribution to the development of the country by helping us to design such a "wonderful" national symbol. He wants national honour, employment for his graduate children, and perhaps a house, a car and some cash. His cries have not gone unnoticed. A few years ago, one organisation repainted his house in Ibadan in national colours, giving him back what he gave the nation. There have been gifts from corporate groups, according to media reports, but Akinkumi does not seem to be satisfied. It now looks like the annual blackmail will not end until the Federal Government settles him.

But do we really owe Taiwo Akinkumi? Should he continue to accuse us of neglect and betrayal over what true patriots would have regarded as a routine service to the nation? How is Akinkumi's contribution to the making of the Nigerian nation different from those of millions of people who toil daily as farmers, tailors, carpenters, bricklayers, traders, sports people, entertainers, journalists, writers, politicians, civil servants, doctors, lawyers, teachers, soldiers, etc.

Too bad that when journalists recycle the Akinkumi story every year they never really bother to raise some critical questions: Did Akinkumi really design the national flag? Who gave him the contract? Was he paid for the work? Or is he supposed to be on the nation's payroll in perpetuity? Was the national flag a solo or group effort? I believe that until these issues are settled convincingly, Akinkumi's claim to fame or his belief that Nigeria is perpetually indebted to him is suspect. Things are never what they seem in Nigeria. This is a country where a man who has never seen the four walls of a university can suddenly decide to add the title of "Professor" or "Doctor" to his name and no questions asked. This is a country where a leader who left his country almost worse than he met it calls himself or encourages sycophants to call him "father of modern Nigeria". I am not accusing Akinkumi of claiming to be who he is not. I am just suggesting that his claim be interrogated because it is beginning to look like a scam.

I am worried about the increasing gullibility of our colleagues in the media. Skepticism used to be an essential quality in our line of business. It is this skepticism that leads us to the hidden truth and saves us from being used by people. On October 6, 2007, one of our national newspapers published a story titled "Honoured At Last". In it, we learnt that a non-governmental organisation (NGO), Lagos-based Green White Green Initiative, had honoured Akinkumi by awarding him its National Merit Award and instituting an endowment fund in his name. The event, which was held at the O'Jez Restaurant in Lagos with a crowd of distinguished Nigerians in attendance, was hailed as a timely intervention and a great relief to those who can no longer bear Akinkumi's cries. (I hope the federal government will finally remember to award him a national honour if indeed he single-handedly designed the national flag).

But the Saturday Sun, story which had a photo of Akinkumi beaming with smiles, contained some claims that should be investigated thoroughly. For example, the writer refers variously to Akinkumi as "this great mind", "a prophet who lacks honour among his own people" and "the ageing hero who had not been recognised by the authorities for his feat". Really? A great mind? A hero? A feat? Perhaps I am wrong. I am not one of those who see the Nigerian flag as a great piece of art. What creative genius can one claim for putting green and white colours together? How is Akinkumi a hero? Beside the flag, what other remarkable thing has he done?

The report went on to assert that Akinkumi "had remained unnoticed and unrecognised despite the importance of his deed while men and women who contributed nothing to the making of the Nigerian dream feasted on the wealth of the nation and gave themselves innumerable national awards and honours". So this whole saga of poverty and the national flag designer is all about being given access to feast on the wealth of the nation. It appears to me that Akinkumi sees the flag as an invention over which he holds a patent or as an intellectual property with a copyright and we are required to pay (or settle) him each time Nigeria uses it or allows others to use it. If this is the case, we may have to call Akinkumi to a meeting to review the old colonial contract and negotiate a new one that makes the flag the property of the state to which no designer can ever lay claim. This matter has to be settled once and for all so that Akinkumi could leave us alone.

Back to the newspaper story, we are told that successive governments, including that of Olusegun Obasanjo, a fellow Owu, refused to reward the "ace flag designer" whose "name cannot be ignored while writing the history of Nigeria". I honestly suspect that reporters are even the ones pushing Akinkumi into this extortion racket. Historians are being told that the flag designer must compete for space with the Awolowos, the Azikiwes, the Tafawa Balewas and the Ahmadu Bellos in the history of Nigeria. A man of history, eh? I think we are taking this matter too far. What about those who wrote our constitutions or the national anthem and pledge? What about others who have brought Nigeria worldwide acclaim through their writings, music, sports, scientific inventions and religious works? Where do we put such people in history?

Finally, we are reminded in the story that the real reason for this contrived annual grumbling is that Akinkumi "lives in an uncomfortable condition (whatever that means) in Dugbe (where everyone lives and sells in an uncomfortable condition) and "cannot afford to send his children to higher institutions for lack of money". These are common problems for God's sake. Akinkumi's plight is not different from that of the average Nigerian. Why should we treat him specially because he designed the national flag? I find it nauseating this whole notion that Nigeria owes us something and must continue to pay for services rendered as part of our duties as good citizens. We cannot continue to treat our relationship with Nigeria as a business transaction. What do we give back to the state for all it has done for us? I am sure Akinkumi went to highly subsidised public schools, visited public hospitals and enjoyed the security of our country without paying a fortune for these services.

This attitude that the state is a no-man's-land to be exploited, plundered or pillaged for the good of the individual is at the root of some of our social problems. We all want to take what we can from Nigeria because of the feeling that it belongs to nobody. Sure this country has not lived up to our expectations. Sure, some of us would probably have fared better in life if we were born in saner places. Sure, Nigeria holds us back and limits our potential. But we are all responsible for the kind of country we have and we have to salvage it together. Akinkumi should please learn to treat the national flag as his own contribution to the making of the Nigerian nation and stop haranguing us every year about flag-related national debt. Nigeria owes all of us. And we all owe Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by ow11(m): 12:32pm On Oct 18, 2007
A hungry blackman who thinks people owe him bc he designed a miserable flag 47 yrs ago. so bc he was priviledged to design a flag that gives him automatic right to scholarship and monthly salary !
NONSENSE
people like this annoy me angry
rather than blame himself for his situation,he keeps bugging us with this rubbish. if he thinks his 'effort' deserves all he requests then the U-16 team of 1985, all our soldiers, families of dead soldiers and everyone who has represented Nigeria deserves to be on govt. payroll. broke ass N*****
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by babasin(m): 4:13pm On Oct 18, 2007
only in Nigeria.

the write-up is in bad taste.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 4:27pm On Oct 18, 2007
*bad taste*
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Joey82(m): 4:46pm On Oct 18, 2007
@poster,
Whichever way u look at it, Nigeria still owes Taiwo a great deal, forget if he was given the contract or not, if the work was a solo effort or group effort, if he's been rewarded by NGOs or not (which u're not sure of, cos u posted no prooven evidence) andif u dont know, the guy isnt asking for cash, he's only asking for help to treat his strange ailment.

Why didnt u trace why nobody takes him to hospital 4 treatment, painting his house green white green isnt monumental enough to b celebrated. besides we're not sure if he was paid a dime when he designed that flag.

Btwn Taiwo and Tella(flying eagles coach), which of them has done something greater, yet the Government sponsors his treatment, yet lagos state government bpught a life supporting machine just because of him.

Lets not be too quick to drawing cynical conclusions without digging much of the evidence to support our claims.Taiwo really deserves more than he's got.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2007
babasin:

only in Nigeria.

the write-up is in bad test.

texazzpete:

*bad taste*

it is the "gworomatic" version! grin cheesy
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by kingrd(m): 7:17pm On Oct 18, 2007
He is entitled to his opinion. Uncle Taiwo deserves our support. Oyo State govenment should take the lead. Over to you Pa Adedibu and Gov Akala
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by debosky(m): 7:30pm On Oct 18, 2007
The article is interesting, We need to know the origin of this matter: how and when was he given the job of designing the flag? Was he paid for the job? Does he deserve to be remunerated annually and given special treatment simply because he designed a flag?

I am not against national honours, but It must be based on some criteria. Designing the flag is a notable achievement, but I doubt that this continual cry will ever end, unless of course, he is given access to limitless wealth of the state.

Is Nigeria responsible as a nation for the individual prosperity of a man simply because he designed the flag? Must he continue to financially benefit from the effort in perpetuity? His name is already enshrined as the designer of the flag, what greater honor does he crave for? Or is this just about money? Is the government owing him his contractual fees or a pension due to the work? If not, can they be accused of being responsible for his poor (although average for the Nigerian populace) living standard?

If the Oyo govt. deem it fit to do something, that is completely their prerogative, but the root of the issue must be unearthed.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by bibiking1(m): 9:08pm On Oct 18, 2007
i think there is actually a point from his article. The old man never ceases to want attention at every independence day. Does he not get some sort of fund after all these importuning? I personally think he extorts from us on the same old ground of sympathy
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 18, 2007
Taiwo Akinkunmi's crocodile tears are not about recognition but about unearned access to money, cash, more money and err did i forget to say money.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Mustay(m): 4:15am On Oct 19, 2007
yeah i read this stuff on THE GUARDIAN AND THE POINT THAT REALLY MADE SENSE WAS

[size=15pt]But we are all responsible for the kind of country we have and we have to salvage it together. Akinkumi should please learn to treat the national flag as his own contribution to the making of the Nigerian nation and stop haranguing us every year about flag-related national debt. Nigeria owes all of us. And we all owe Nigeria.[/size]

THE GUY MADE A BIG POINT THERE! ITZ HIGH TIME WE STOPPED DECEIVING OURSELVES
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Pain(m): 1:24pm On Oct 19, 2007
I Advocate A Redesign Of The National Flag. There are enough graphic arists on this forum. Lets start a campaign that would end up in the Senate. Akinkunmi used Crayons now there are Softwares.

And Hey, this Forum is even bigger than the Senate. When do we start submitting the new designs?
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Danmasani(m): 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2007
Pain:

I Advocate A Redesign Of The National Flag. There are enough graphic arists on this forum. Lets start a campaign that would end up in the Senate. Akinkunmi used Crayons now there are Softwares.

And Hey, this Forum is even bigger than the Senate. When do we start submitting the new designs?

Thats how it starts, next thing is that we'll have changed up to a 100 flags in less than 3 decades- just like Congo/Zaire!
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Mustay(m): 2:39pm On Oct 19, 2007
sorry to graphic artists but really the composer of the nat'l anthem did an 'ardous' task than the person that made use of 2 colors; it's not even hard to draw sef!

did the anthem composer cry out like this?

he has received more than enough jo!
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by BlackMamba(m): 2:57pm On Oct 19, 2007
Cut a green table cloth and sew a white sheet in between. What a designing genius. An "Obioma" tailor would've done better.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by babasin(m): 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2007
this is an issue that matters on showing/doing something for your country:

what has Mark done for Nigeria except loot and tell us that 'phone is not for the poor'?

what has IBB done for Nigeria except loot us dry?

what has OBJ done for Nigeria except kill IGBO and loot us dry.

There are many like Akinkumi, whose singular deed, no matter how small means more:
that flag is what is attached to Nigeria.

It is simple design but yet; all our leaders have failed to follow the mean; GREEN; abundant food for all, White; peaceful country.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by debosky(m): 3:33pm On Oct 19, 2007
no one is saying he doesn't deserve to be mentioned and recognised for designing the flag, he has that already

but to act as if the nation is somehow responsible for his current plight is something I don't agree with.

there are many old people who are poor today, either as a result of the downturn in the economy or whatever reason, I don't hear them getting aired on the pages of newspapers that the 'government' owes them and should give their children jobs.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Seun(m): 3:37pm On Oct 19, 2007
Source?
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by babasin(m): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2007
no one is saying he doesn't deserve to be mentioned and recognised for designing the flag, he has that already

can you show us?

Coach Teller, is presently going through same thing.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Mustay(m): 12:53am On Oct 20, 2007
he has the support of govt
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by denex: 1:06am On Oct 20, 2007
The man was drunk when he drew that flag. I think he'd have even done better if he had just brought out a blue piece of Ankara.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Mustay(m): 1:27am On Oct 20, 2007
please, show the man some respect

HAVE U EVER SEEN AND FELT THE ORIGINAL NAIJA FLAG?
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by debosky(m): 4:52am On Oct 20, 2007
@ Babasin

every year at independence, his name is mentioned as the man who made the Nigerian flag, what else does he want?

Anthony Enahoro is said to be the person who moved the motion for Nigeria's independence (though debated by some) - does that mean he should then be accusing us each year to pay him for moving the motion as a perpetual legislator before we agree he is recognised?

Tella's illness is sad, he had cancer even before the WC in Korea, and he is currently being treated at government's cost at LUTH. But the govt in no way is responsible for giving his children jobs or anything, he is being given medical care at govt expense.
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by bibiking1(m): 5:27am On Oct 20, 2007
The man really should be modest in his manner. He has asked too much from us
Re: Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria by Mustay(m): 6:41am On Oct 20, 2007
and we have given more than enough!

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Economy To Beat South Africa / Apart From The Civil War,what Else Did Ojukwu Do For His People? / Ebonyi Law Maker & His AK 47 Rifles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.