Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 (18692 Views)

Great Ife Alumni And Undergraduate Hook Up Joint. / Great Ife: Tell Us Your Experience On Oau Campus / OAU-Ife Students Thread: Great IFE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by babaijesha: 1:11pm On Feb 10, 2012
Great Ife, Citadel of academic excellence, Jerusalem of all radicals, too much memories.

-Playing ftball with lecturers Jingo etc and the way they abuse you of playing like a Chicken
- The thunderous speaking in tongues in sport centre of various folks trying to avoid Road 1 and binding lecturers.
- I can never forget the taste of Iya Egin food with Ogufe in Old Buka; taking four wraps of fufu in Old Buka to ensure there is no need to eat again for the day.
-Trekking from Awo Hall to Ajose lecture theatre.
- Days of sleeping in Awo upper butt when u cant get accomodation;
-Some bad boys in Awo will pack you sweet rubber slip-pace and replace it with junks before you wake up
- Saluting Awolowo portrait in Awo upper buttery b/4 sitting down
- Bads boys polluting the air when Awo butt is full to the brim while watching Nig matches with folks raining curses on the culprit
- the smell of beans all over Awo Hall
- Funny songs during inter hall ftbal matches in sports centre.
- U cant but remember various Aluta celebrities from Big Sam(Oloye), Baba Show,Carl, Ropo, Obesere, Anthony Fash etc
- Taking Risky meal (bread and fried egg) during exam period. U cant but admire the academic rigor from all faculties, Baba Adebusuyi/Adesola in Accounting; Prof Fabayo in Economics; Geology department have notorious reputation of not having graduates each year.

Its so amazing that folks still read like Efiwe and come out with good grades despite all these challenges and distractions all over.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2012
Obesere was a character in Awo then,congresses at Awo were thing worth looking forward to,
You must have finished from accounting, the day Students dragged Omole to amphi with his wife "Ruth,abokoku"

babaijesha:

Great Ife, Citadel of academic excellence, Jerusalem of all radicals, too much memories.

-Playing ftball with lecturers Jingo etc and the way they abuse you of playing like a Chicken
- The thunderous speaking in tongues in sport centre of various folks trying to avoid Road 1 and binding lecturers.
- I can never forget the taste of Iya Egin food with Ogufe in Old Buka; taking four wraps of fufu in Old Buka to ensure there is no need to eat again for the day.
-Trekking from Awo Hall to Ajose lecture theatre.
- Days of sleeping in Awo upper butt when u cant get accomodation;
-Some bad boys in Awo will pack you sweet rubber slip-pace and replace it with junks before you wake up
- Saluting Awolowo portrait in Awo upper buttery b/4 sitting down
- Bads boys polluting the air when Awo butt is full to the brim while watching Nig matches with folks raining curses on the culprit
- the smell of beans all over Awo Hall
- Funny songs during inter hall ftbal matches in sports centre.
- U cant but remember various Aluta celebrities from Big Sam(Oloye), Baba Show,Carl, Ropo, Obesere, Anthony Fash etc
- Taking Risky meal (bread and fried egg) during exam period. U cant but admire the academic rigor from all faculties, Baba Adebusuyi/Adesola in Accounting; Prof Fabayo in Economics; Geology department have notorious reputation of not having graduates each year.

Its so amazing that folks still read like Efiwe and come out with good grades despite all these challenges and distractions all over.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by rabzy: 2:48pm On Feb 10, 2012
Kamali:

I remember what led to the burning of all of Carl's property at Awo then.I remember when Awo boys caught Rogers Makanjuola(Jnr) and his other secret cult members.I remember how prof. Makanjuola(then he was CMD,OAUTH) came to Awo cafe to plead on behalf of his son.I remember him crying and shouting "YOU ARE TORTURING MY SON" at Awo buttery during interogation.I remember the "E KARO SIR,SE EMA FASO" women and their early coming call at FAJ.

I thot there were two sons caught, Rogers junior and Rogers Ben, but it was Rogers Ben was let off.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by zylla(m): 3:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
Big Sam, Aturu, Terezo, Dr. Fash's disruption of the convocation et al, so many
June 12 Aluta immediately after Nigeria's elimination from the 1994 World Cup, et al.
E kaar sir she e ma foso, check your weight,
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 3:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
rabzy:

I thot there were two sons caught, Rogers junior and Rogers Ben, but it was Rogers Ben was let off.

I only know of Rogers Junior of 1994(if my memory serves me right),he was caught at new buka with some students of UNIBEN and some other universities,a member of the student union exco,Sadiq by name,was also indeicted.When his father heard ,he came down to Awo to plead for his son

@Loma
Are you the junior brother of Sis. Fatimah Bello(Accounting) of blessed memory,if then you must know AbdulHameed Agberemi(of blessed memory too)
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by zylla(m): 3:34pm On Feb 10, 2012
ijogbon:

Greatest Ife.

My Matric number - 912***, graduated in 1998. and No i wasnt studying Medicine.

They were the best times of times; they were the worst of times. 5 years no Geology department graduate and Matric every year! lol,

Congratulations to ALL Great IFE products.

Which dept did you finish from? I am 9127** too, graduated in 1999, had a year extra.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by loma(m): 3:51pm On Feb 10, 2012
Kamali:

I only know of Rogers Junior of 1994(if my memory serves me right),he was caught at new buka with some students of UNIBEN and some other universities,a member of the student union exco,Sadiq by name,was also indeicted.When his father heard ,he came down to Awo to plead for his son

@Loma
Are you the junior brother of Sis. Fatimah Bello(Accounting) of blessed memory,if then you must know AbdulHameed Agberemi(of blessed memory too)

Yes, on both counts,
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 3:52pm On Feb 10, 2012
zylla:

Which dept did you finish from? I am 9127** too, graduated in 1999, had a year extra.
Looking back now Geology students of then will remember the likes of prof. Rahman,Dr. Adediran etc
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2012
loma:

Yes, on both counts,

I remember the two of them now,my prayer is that Allah grant them Aljannah firdaus.
I was quite active then in the MSSN.then.

I came in a year after Agberemi ,Fatima came in a year after I entered, just like yesterday,
Back to IFE.I saw Seeni Ajayi one day in Ikeja.We still hear and see BigSam(Ebunolu Adegboruwa) , Bamidele Aturu and Ropo
Ewenla,at least on TV.But where is Nurudeen Ogbara(Formare Sec. Gen),Lanre Adekanle,Obesere,Lanre Legacy,Terezo etc now.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 4:58pm On Feb 10, 2012
I read Nurudeen Ogbara's interview in one newspaper recently.
He is now a Lawyer and I think an exco in Ikorodu or Ikeja NBA
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 5:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
Jarus:

I read Nurudeen Ogbara's interview in one newspaper recently.
He is now a Lawyer and I think an exco in Ikorodu or Ikeja NBA

Considering the oratory power of Legacy,one who have thought that his name should be associated with politic at some level now, He was quite oratory.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 5:28pm On Feb 10, 2012
@Aloma

Are you in any way related to Musodiq Bello ?
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 5:39pm On Feb 10, 2012
Back then at IFE before the advent of cultism,the powerful guys on campus were the GYM boys,body builders and Martial artist.Everytime there was going to be crises on campus ,student union officials will quickly liase with the body builders not to support or support a motion just in case scuffle ensures during SRC meeting.I stayed with Lanre Adekanle(a staunch Pacestter guy,actually lost the presidency to Carl) and Bash Alli(about the biggest body builder) in my part 1 at Awo hall then.There you here a lot of gist about happenings on campus.I later joined the Taekwando club(still saw a former President in Ikeja recently).It was all fun in Ife then.

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 6:52pm On Feb 10, 2012
Anybody still remember Dr. ohanomah of chem Eng and che201 7.00am class.I remember when he broke an Aluta curfew to come to class.Report has it that he used the money meant for personal car for a computer system instead.He would jogg from staff quarters everyday to his office in academics.We reported him to the student union official and they promptly block him from entering academics, He had threatened to do test then, does he still have the highest CGPA in IFE ?
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by excespirit(m): 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
E karo se e ma fosho, DIE JEANS!!! Most of you have forgotten the suffix. One of the most memorable day in Ife is Nov 3,2006; the fist time I saw soldiers invade OAU like a war front. Gun shots sounding everywhere like bombs. All these made us more courageous in the midst of crisis. We are the greatest, the toughest and the strongest. We(the Great Ife) occupy my company and keep representing.

"Ko ye wa ooo" in Amphi PHY101 , when it's exam time, o ma ye yin
Will exam hold?
MTH 201 nko? Dr Layeni,we cant forget you. Gbogbo Es & Fs
Komo of Elect, our EEE 201 result is "erasable"
Tsunami Part 1, slogans like EFE,EDE,FFE filled the campus, one student taught "F" was for "Female" on a pasted result
Ilori Master, EEE & CSE students hail you.we thank God you are "born again" now

I cant forget Spider house, CC, Moz, sport center, staff quaters, Old & New Buka, HSLT canteen, The amala at Pharmacy, etc. OAU is a place to be. Those who lived in town missed 60% of OAU life. It was fun, tears, joy, struggle, good tidings, brotherliness, pain of lost ones, prayer, sobbing, thanksgiving, altogether

Great Ife, I LOVE YOU!!!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by dayokanu(m): 11:40pm On Feb 10, 2012
Kamali:

Anybody still remember Dr. ohanomah of chem Eng and che201 7.00am class.I remember when he broke an Aluta curfew to come to class.Report has it that he used the money meant for personal car for a computer system instead.He would jogg from staff quarters everyday to his office in academics.We reported him to the student union official and they promptly block him from entering academics, He had threatened to do test then, does he still have the highest CGPA in IFE ?

Did you grad from Chemical Engr too?? Ohanomah is with Shell last i heard and i think his record has been smashed a couple of time in Chemical Engr dept
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by loma(m): 1:22am On Feb 11, 2012
Kamali:

@Aloma

Are you in any way related to Musodiq Bello ?

Chairman, na all of my family u sabi? Lets take it offline . My firstname.lastname @ afropreneur.net

Actually, everyone in my family starting from my Dad went to Ife. My dad was in Ife 1967-71. My uncle started working with the university from inception in 1962 in Ibadan and moved with them to Ife finally retiring in 1992. He was close to Hezekiah Oluwasanmi and still tells us great stories about the good old days. Amazing pictures too of the barren alnd and all the initial construction. Because of him, my dad went to Ife, and so did everyone else in the family. Hence I have been visiting Ife since the early 80s. Even as a kid I remember the Wande Abimbola days of ; Ogun o ran, agidi o ran!

Lanre Legacy actually went into agriculture, and had a TV program a while back, not sure what he is doing now.

I could probably write a book on my Ife experiences. I still remember Physics 102 in Amphi. Because it was a huge hall with thousands of students, and the lecturers never used microphones, or powerpoint, there was no way you could see or hear at the back, which was where the NFAs used to sit.

So I used to sit on the podium at the seat of the lecturer along with some other eficos. This particular day in PHY 102, we were being taught by Dr Olowu (I believe) and my mind had drifted away and I was day-dreaming. It took some time before I realised he was pointing to me and asking a question "In which direction will the force go" I had absolutely no idea, so decided to use 'sense' . it will go in the opposite direction sir! Unfortunately he would not take that, so he gave me the chalk and told me to draw the direction of the force on the board. In front of thousands of students, I gambled and missed!!

He then faced me and said all unprintable stuff-" this is how you people come to ife and waste your father's money.etc, Needless to say, that was the last time I ever sat in front in Amphi. and by the way, I did get an A in the course
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by isalegan2: 2:03am On Feb 11, 2012
Congratulations to OAU! 

Almost all my family and extended relatives who didn't go abroad went to Ife: sibs, cousins, aunts, even next door neighbours; a couple of lecturers too.  Recently found out that another relative had graduated from there a decade ago.  I know with certainty I would have gone there as well if I hadn't jetted out. 

Happy 50th!

pcicero:

. . . It was during Legacy's tenure that the killings took place on July 10,1999. I was staying in Awo and had barely left the Kegites coronation at Awo Cafe when the shootings started. I was at New Buka earlier on with friends and some union guys (most of whom were my firends) came to tell us that they heard some cultists were planning to attack. . .

Two of my siblings were at Ife at that time.  Very unpredictable times.  Strikes all the time.  They tripped back home a lot then.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 6:48am On Feb 11, 2012
I think Deji Akere(Chem Engr, 2006) holds the record of all-time highest CGPA. He finished with 4.94.

He went to Cambridge for his masters shortly after.
dayokanu:

Did you grad from Chemical Engr too?? Ohanomah is with Shell last i heard and i think his record has been smashed a couple of time in Chemical Engr dept
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Sbrainy(m): 7:23am On Feb 11, 2012
Congratulations OAU@50
We need to face the fact now! 50 yrs has gone nw, what can we say; can we not say OAU has lost its uniqueness and gr8nes in dis lata yrs.
Is it d unconducive lecture hals where the boards no longa write wel, Ajose whose frnt view insyd of it looks unbearable, Odlt where nothing has change for good, Hostel where the condition of living is worse.
Not oly the positive tins make up our 50yrs bt also negative ones. If universities r rated 2day, wil OAU stil b Africa's most beautiful? Lets Compare!
Am sincerely hoping that Omole's Administration wil bring the change
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 7:53am On Feb 11, 2012
dayokanu:

I graduated from Elect.But all engineering students take Ohanomah's course.Soji Ilori was my set in Ife.I learnt he has a PhD now.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Kamali(m): 8:02am On Feb 11, 2012
Soji was about the most intelligent in my class then.Though,he did not have the highest CGPA,i remember that he hardly attends class but if they give any assignment in class,he will be the one to solve it.I respect SOJ ,as he was fondly called then.His low side is that he does not like anything that is not mathematical in nature.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by tpia5: 8:12am On Feb 11, 2012
loma

do you have a sister who is a doctor?
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by tpia5: 8:19am On Feb 11, 2012
there was no way you could see or hear at the back, which was where the NFAs used to sit

true, most of them were in school to play sha.

they'd sit at the back and start scoping out girls.

they were considered NFA but i think most of them probably still turned out fairly ok- just that they were hard partiers and such while in school.

usually rich too.

my mind had drifted away and I was day-dreaming. It took some time before I realised he was pointing to me and asking a question "In which direction will the force go" I had absolutely no idea, so decided to use 'sense' . it will go in the opposite direction sir! Unfortunately he would not take that, so he gave me the chalk and told me to draw the direction of the force on the board. In front of thousands of students, I gambled and missed!!

He then faced me and said all unprintable stuff-" this is how you people come to ife and waste your father's money.etc, Needless to say, that was the last time I ever sat in front in Amphi

lol
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by loma(m): 8:40pm On Feb 11, 2012
@tpia; I am not answering. grin
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by tpia5: 9:42pm On Feb 11, 2012
^Hmm, have we met before?

I did wonder about that- cant really tell foe from bystander sometimes with the way people switch ids here.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by phartye(m): 2:41pm On Feb 12, 2012
Hmmm, where do I start? Well, I was one those who came in during d Post-UME era (2008). Ife is indeed a school. There was dis night @ Awo -still a fresher then, wen a student used fireworks (banger!) @ a nyt, and God it was lyk "The Cultists Are Back" wit students running 'helta sketa' for their lives. Well as an Archy student almost our studio is just 'anoda place ' on campus. Neva can I forget, Fibroid, Man 'O' War early morning ginger, the Sounds of Adhaan @ Awo Hall, Prof. vs DSM (the charm saga), the new OAU anthem, the ever active Bats, GTB ATM Queue, Awo Mosque, Old buka,, d list is endless. I thank God for directing me towards OAU.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by WhyAWhy(m): 6:41pm On Feb 22, 2012
Jarus:

I think Deji Akere(Chem Engr, 2006) holds the record of all-time highest CGPA. He finished with 4.94.

He went to Cambridge for his masters shortly after.

the present record of all-time highest CGPA is from Tope Ajetunmobi, He finished with 4.96 (Chem Engr, 2007). He went to Imperial College London for his masters
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by dayokanu(m): 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2012
It seems all records were broken by Chemical Engr guys

Ohanomah 1978
Simeon and Shittu 2002 threatened it
Deji Akere 2006 broke it
Tope Ajetunmobi 2007 broke it again
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by yamakuza: 7:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
^ Those Chem. Engr Profs need to be probed!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by dayokanu(m): 7:16pm On Feb 22, 2012
Those guys who broke records took classes in all the Engineering department in OAU.

and they obviously got A's in those courses

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Kwara Govt To Shut Down Schools From March 23 / Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? / Henry Ogorchukwu Abanum: UNIBEN Best Student Gets N250k From Engr Osifo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.