Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 (18699 Views)

Great Ife Alumni And Undergraduate Hook Up Joint. / Great Ife: Tell Us Your Experience On Oau Campus / OAU-Ife Students Thread: Great IFE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by yamakuza: 8:00pm On Feb 22, 2012
^ After part 2 or 3, majority of their courses will be from their own dept.

The chem engr profs encourage/assist promising students, compared to profs like Osas and that mech h.o.d who wont send u, record or no record.

Thats why its easier for the best guy in chem to top the faculty than for the best chap in say, elect.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by dayokanu(m): 8:25pm On Feb 22, 2012
If the most wicked Elect lecturers(Osas EEE201 and 202) and Mechanical lecturers(Pedro MEE303)

Couldnt fauult them, Then why are we saying the Chemical lecturers are not hard enough on them
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 8:58pm On Feb 22, 2012
WhyAWhy:

the present record of all-time highest CGPA is from Tope Ajetunmobi, He finished with 4.96 (Chem Engr, 2007). He went to Imperial College London for his masters
i didnt know Tope was eventually able to beat Deji. Tope was my mate(entered 2001) but, ours being a 4-year course, we finished a year ahead of him.

Tope used to stay in Awo Block 7, ground floor when I was staying in middle floor. I used to hear about him from Tech guys. He was said to be Deji's friend and mate at Suleja Academy(1999 set) and we learnt he was the best student in their set and Deji was 4th(and the other 2 guys in-between them also came to Ife, but travelled abroad before the end of year 1). But JAMB shocked Tope once and he found himself in Yabatech(where he also shattered record with highest ND CGPA ever at the end of his ND programme). on second attempt at JAMB, he got admission into Ife, now a year junior to Deji.

We used to hear then that whatever Deji scored in any case, Tope, who will be writing the course, will set a target for himself to score higher when he wrote the course the next session. Deji broke school record in 2006, and that was when I left, never knew Tope was able to surpass him the following.

omho, Ife na bad school o. if you think you sabi book, u go meet people wey turn you ordinary. my childhood friend(same primary and secondary schools) who was best wassce student in Kwara state in 2000 had the misfortune of being in same class with Deji in Ife. my friend tried all he could to beat Deji, but iwe pass iwe. my friend, a genius in his own right now with Phd from Arkansas and works for Shell US, was only able to settlke for second behind Deji, with gap as wide as 0.2.

loma on this thread is another of those guys. dem sabi for Ife.

2 Likes

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by tpia5: 9:14pm On Feb 22, 2012
repeat thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-866701.0.html

jarus you tend to name call too much- dont know if you just like being clique-ish or you're simply not comfortable outside your comfort zone.

i think i've posted on at least two threads dedicated to this topic- might be better if things are streamlined on one thread instead of multiple topics everywhere although ogf course its a free world.

ife has plenty of alumni besides the ones you listed- dont think there's a need for all this exclusivity since oau is not a country club with selective membership.

no offence, but that's my opinion and you're free to attack me for this later if you're so inclined.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by yamakuza: 9:18pm On Feb 22, 2012
dayokanu:

If the most wicked Elect lecturers(Osas EEE201 and 202) and Mechanical lecturers(Pedro MEE303)

Couldnt fauult them, Then why are we saying the Chemical lecturers are not hard enough on them

guy, we both know what i'm talking about, so lets leave matter for Mathias.

In closing, picture 2 guys back from IT, both with the highest cgpa in Tech.

One is in Chem, and the other is not.

Which of them is more likely to graduate with the highest cgpa in tech?

Chem Engrs Profs have a "legacy" to protect, and i salute their efforts.

Peace!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 9:34pm On Feb 22, 2012
tpia@:

repeat thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-866701.0.html

jarus you tend to name call too much- dont know if you just like being clique-ish or you're simply not comfortable outside your comfort zone.

i think i've posted on at least two threads dedicated to this topic- might be better if things are streamlined on one thread instead of multiple topics everywhere although ogf course its a free world.

ife has plenty of alumni besides the ones you listed- dont think there's a need for all this exclusivity since oau is not a country club with selective membership.

no offence, but that's my opinion and you're free to attack me for this later if you're so inclined.
so, if an entirely different topic drifts to an issue and warrants same examples/cases, it has become a crime to re-narrate the cases/examples/stories?
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by WhyAWhy(m): 10:02pm On Feb 22, 2012
Jarus:

i didnt know Tope was eventually able to beat Deji. Tope was my mate(entered 2001) but, ours being a 4-year course, we finished a year ahead of him.

Tope used to stay in Awo Block 7, ground floor when I was staying in middle floor. I used to hear about him from Tech guys. He was said to be Deji's friend and mate at Suleja Academy(1999 set) and we learnt he was the best student in their set and Deji was 4th(and the other 2 guys in-between them also came to Ife, but travelled abroad before the end of year 1). But JAMB shocked Tope once and he found himself in Yabatech(where he also shattered record with highest ND CGPA ever at the end of his ND programme). on second attempt at JAMB, he got admission into Ife, now a year junior to Deji.

We used to hear then that whatever Deji scored in any case, Tope, who will be writing the course, will set a target for himself to score higher when he wrote the course the next session. Deji broke school record in 2006, and that was when I left, never knew Tope was able to surpass him the following.

omho, Ife na bad school o. if you think you sabi book, u go meet people wey turn you ordinary. my childhood friend(same primary and secondary schools) who was best wassce student in Kwara state in 2000 had the misfortune of being in same class with Deji in Ife. my friend tried all he could to beat Deji, but iwe pass iwe. my friend, a genius in his own right now with Phd from Arkansas and works for Shell US, was only able to settlke for second behind Deji, with gap as wide as 0.2.

loma on this thread is another of those guys. dem sabi for Ife.

I dont know how people make up stories and opinions like the bolded part. The details in this response makes me feel you are stalking this guys. I know them but what the hell bout details!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by tpia5: 3:27am On Feb 23, 2012
Jarus:

so, if an entirely different topic drifts to an issue and warrants same examples/cases, it has become a crime to re-narrate the cases/examples/stories?

dont know what you're referring to, but I'm talking about your first post on this thread.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 5:48am On Feb 23, 2012
Ok, I don't see anything wrong in listing popular Nairalanders that we know finished from Ife, and at no place did I write that the list is exhustive.

Also, I did this thread oblivious of similar threads and this generated more replies than others, and it is not my duty, not being education section mod, to collapse them into one.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by dudumarrie: 11:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Of the Greatest Ife, It was a very wonderful time with experience passing through the four corners of OAU. Each time I flash back, I remember White House with all its lectures, Channel O, motion ground, Awo Hall.

I wish I could just be there one of these days to just have a stroll again

Wishing Great Ife Golden Jubilee celebration
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by moremi2008(m): 8:13pm On Apr 30, 2012
Greatest Ife! Almost everybody in my nuclear and extended family went to Ife. However, the one year I spent in Ife was pretty bad! I got stuck in Angola because I was hoping in vain that my parents would get me a BQ spot in quarters and they didn't!!! I saw pure hell! The room was over-crowded and the bathrooms were gross. I used to run to my uncle's place in quarters every weekend. The lectures were even worse! I can never forget marching to Ajose before sunrise (you had to get there a couple of hours early to get a seat) under a teeming cloud of shitting bats to attend CHM 101 with that fat lady professor (she's muslim, I think). Or sitting through lectures in Amphi. The one bright spot was fellowship and new buka (that's where I ate breakfast and dinner everyday)! Hahaha! Thank God I traveled out after my first year! I don't think I would have made it in that place!

But Ife is still great oh! Although I hated my experience there, I still love that place because it was never dull and I met so many incredible people.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Gracchus: 8:14pm On Sep 13, 2020
tjmadrid:
Greatest gbo gbo, Greatest Ife, of the greatest, greatest, greatest Ife. OAU will always be an unforgetable moment in my life because you tend to gain everything in Ife if you did not allow the university to pass through you. Moz 101, Awo block 4 rm121, Awo Block 3 Rm33, Awo Block 2 Rm 23 and Awo Annex Rm321( Math Room). :-XI really miss OAU and am using this medium to wish OAU Happy 50th Anniversary

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Henry Ogorchukwu Abanum: UNIBEN Best Student Gets N250k From Engr Osifo / Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? / Gold Winning Technovation World Pitch Girls Arrive Nigeria- Picture/Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.