Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos (9086 Views)

Deadly Punch Lands NURTW Ticketing Official In Morgue - Tribune / NURTW Member Killed While Leaving Mosque (pictured) / Mayhem In Ibadan, As Nurtw Factions Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by ChefMike(m): 12:57pm On Feb 10, 2012
grin grin grin So far innocent commuters  are not killed in the process let them die and go to hell.
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 1:03pm On Feb 10, 2012
Wouldn't it be best if Local Government take charge of those motor parks?It may end those senseless killings and fighting.
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by hbrednic: 1:07pm On Feb 10, 2012
rascals again,una no dey tire
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by afm4ever(m): 1:23pm On Feb 10, 2012
Mumus una dey kill una self while bokoharam dey kill ur people fools
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by ochiaha1(m): 1:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
What kind of security are provided at these carnivals The organisers of the carnival should be proactive enough to know that miscreants and robbers may want to hijack the carnival processions and should therefore provide adequate security to stop them.
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by kizito96(m): 1:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
Let them kill themselves, they should not harm any commuter
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by babaowo: 1:34pm On Feb 10, 2012
i no fit shout ooo!!!
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by johnie: 2:21pm On Feb 10, 2012
Gangland wars rise in Lagos
February 4, 2012 by Comfort Oseghale

Just like it happens in movies, a gang war took place in Yaba, Lagos, at about 5 pm on Jan 17, 2012. Two youths on a motorcycle were engaged in a conversation with one of the four occupants of a Toyota car when they were suddenly attacked by hoodlums.

The attackers were many, about 30 of them. They arrived on 10 motorcycles, armed with guns, knives and other weapons. Immediately, they descended on the youths.

By the time they finished, the attackers had left several people wounded. One of the victims of the attack was actually mistaken for dead.

Ramon Lawal, a fresh Ordinary National Diploma graduate of the Lagos State Polytechnic, and Abayomi Kabiru, a former National Road Transport Workers Union unit chairman in Jibowu, [/b]were the two men on the motorcycle. While Kabiru was able to escape unhurt, Lawal wasn’t so lucky. He was left for dead after being stabbed in the head and shot.

Last week Thursday, a similar fiasco was enacted at the [b]Mushin end of the Onipanu area
. A gang of armed hoodlums went on a looting spree, while supposedly awaiting the arrival of some rivals who were said to be at Abule-Egba, also in Lagos.

The hoodlums robbed to their hearts content, despite the presence of a team of policemen from the Onipanu Police Division nearby. CRIME DIGEST learnt that the policemen did nothing to check the situation.

The armed group were said to have come from Fadeyi and their rivals were alleged to be supporters of a former chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in Lagos State, Olorunwa Rafiu aka Olohunwa.

On Monday, another incident occurred at the Adeniji-Adele area in Lagos Island. Groups loyal to Olohunwa and an NURTW leader in Oshodi, Musiliu Akinsanya, aka MC Oluomo, engaged in a bloody struggle for supremacy. Two persons allegedly lost their lives in the incident and several more were injured.

Residents of the area blamed the recurring clashes between the Mushin/Fadeyi groups on a disagreement over the collection of fees or ‘permit’ from commercial bus drivers, transport companies and other entrepreneurs.

The fees, they say, are a huge source of revenue from which the NURTW unit and branch executives help themselves.

One of the sources says, “These people who call themselves members of the NURTW just go about extorting money from drivers. In reality, there are thugs who are often recruited by politicians for their dirty work. If you fail to comply, you will not be allowed to work.

“They don’t hold meetings with the drivers and nobody gives an account of how the money is spent. Instead of the NURTW being a body to protect the interest of members, it is now a money spinner for those interested in making easy money.”

Some commercial bus drivers told our correspondent they had no idea what the fees they were forced to pay were used for. One of them said, “By virtue of our occupation, we ought to be members of the NURTW, but we don’t attend the meetings because we are not invited. Those who are supposed to be our leaders, many are not commercial drivers and have never been. They are political acolytes who somehow got involved in the NURTW and who extort money from us daily.

“If a driver must operate from any garage, he pays a fee. Whenever we stop at any bus stop to pick or discharge passengers, we must buy tickets. None of the garages were built by the unions, yet they are always demanding one fee or the other. We don’t have a say in the election of our officers because most of them are not transport workers in the real sense of the word.”

A park attendant at the Somolu branch of the NURTW explained the toll collection. “There are two types of tickets, which we sell to drivers; one is from the local government and the other from the state. Money accruing from the sale of the LG tickets go back to the coffers of the LG in question. The revenue from the sale of the state ticket is disbursed by the chairman of the unit or branch as they deem fit. My chairman sometimes would tell me that he just wants N28,000 or so from the sale of the tickets. Anything I make above that is mine.

“We don’t pay only ourselves from these collections; we also settle various security outfits like the police, taskforce, OP Messa and so on.”

The attendant, who was not a driver himself, however, could give no reason for the collection of tolls or how they have been used to benefit the commercial drivers.

Some warring factions of the NURTW and residents in the affected areas have pointed accusing fingers at the police for complicity in escalating the violence. A businessman who owns a shop on Ikorodu Road said, “Sometime in November last year, a friend of mine named Ejiro decided to start a transport company at Jibowu. That is where a former PDP governorship aspirant had his office.

“Ejiro bought a property and prepared to renovate it. Before this could happen, some street urchins requested him to pay them the sum of N1.5m. This was to enable him operate in the area. Since Ejiro was acting on behalf of another friend, he asked for time so he could communicate with the actual owner of the property.

“The boys immediately became angry that he asked for time. Armed with guns and knives, they descended on the workers on the property. They threatened to shoot Ejiro and seized the tools of the workers. I was called to the scene because I operate businesses within that district and I know how these boys operate.

“I recognised two of the boys. One was Sobodu and the other fellow was called Ninety. They worked for a certain man who supervised the collection of tolls in the area. After my intervention, they left with the workers’ tools. Then I accompanied my friend to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, where we wrote a petition, which was acknowledged. After the arrest of the guys had been authorised by the Commissioner of Police, we went back to Jibowu.

“Although Sobodu never showed up again to collect his fee, some of his boys did and were immediately arrested by the SARS men. On his way back to the command office, the Investigating Police Officer received a call.

“He said the call was from his boss. When we got back, the IPO went to see his boss while we waited. After a while, we were told that his boss wanted to see us and we went upstairs to his office.

“To our shock when we got there, two sponsors of the urchins were already seated there. These men were supposedly wanted by the police. The DCP asked us what permit we acquired before operating a transport company at Jibowu.

“When I responded that it was only in the purview of the ministry of transportation to determine such, he told us that the tools which were seized from the workers would be returned and that there would be no more trouble. We were permitted to go back and run our business. The two boys who were earlier arrested by SARS were released that very day.”

Still recuperating from his gunshot, Lawal told CRIME DIGEST, “I’m not a member of the NURTW, but I’m a close friend of Kabiru, who was once a unit chairman at Jibowu. I was attacked simply because I’m from Mushin and a friend to Kabiru. During the peace talks, which the DCP convened last year, I openly accused one of the sponsors of being used by politicians to perpetuate violence in Mushin. I told the DCP what these boys did all the time. Also, I told him that I knew that I would pay for my comments and that is what is happening today.

“After I was attacked two weeks ago, my people called the DCP and informed him of what happened. I learnt he later confirmed my condition from the DPO of the Sabo Police Division, who testified that I was rescued by his team and taken to the hospital. Despite that, no police patrol team bothered to go to Fadeyi to look for my assailants.

“It wasn’t until my people went to Panti and wrote a petition that something was done. A team from Panti went to Fadeyi and two of the boys were arrested. They are still at Panti. As far as I am concerned, the DCP is only worsening the situation by taking sides.”

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer Mr. Joseph Jaiyeoba, however refuted the claims of police involvement in the recurrent clashes. He said, “There is no police officer who would condone the issue of criminality. Police work is all about evidence and it is possible the persons being fingered in the affected communities are innocent.

“What people don’t understand is that it is difficult to get judgement in court if a person was not arrested. It is worse when there are no witnesses to back up the claims. If there are witnesses, the police will act. The Lagos State Police Command is not resting on its oars and with the assistance of the state government and members of the public, this crisis will be a thing of the past.”

http://www.punchng.com/feature/crime-digest/gangland-wars-rise-in-lagos/
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by TEEGBE: 3:04pm On Feb 10, 2012
USELESS ABEROS angry AS LONG AS INNOCENT LIVES ARE NOT INVOLVED GOOD RIDIANCE TO BAD RUBBISH lipsrsealed
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by executinal(m): 4:10pm On Feb 10, 2012
Again, . . . . , . , . . shocked
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 10, 2012
Nigerians are funny people grin grin grin grin grin

There are always riff raff in every big city in the world

Maybe some of you are unfortunate to have TV, but gang violence is everywhere in the world

There are gang killing in Brooklyn, London, Chicago, Paris, Los Angeles, Texas, ATL, Rio in Brazil, Kingston Jamaica

Stop making noise, it happens in every city around the world - if you wanna complain about everything, it's better you take your own life; save yourself the hassles; and go R.I.P

If the so-called "developed" world can't deal with gang violence - how do you expect Lagos to cope with touts??

At least Nigerian kids don't blow their heads off with guns over drugs - and shank themselves about 10times

Every Country has its own problems, stop making NOISE about everything,

Like I said earlier, if you want to complain about everything - TAKE YOUR OWN LIFE AND REST IN PEACE!!!!!
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 10, 2012
very unfortunate that the claimed "most educated region" is turning out to be A.G.B.E.R.O.S and T.H.U.G.S by day. Sham! shame!! shame!!!

Nigerians are clowns, I tell ya

Some of you just post mindless comments for the sake of it - and probably to hear yourself speak

Like there are no thugs in developed Country, or the village you came from , you tree climbing monkey

Go play in traffic, or take your own life if you think everything in the work is fugged up, clown
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by fredoooooo: 6:03pm On Feb 10, 2012
Dyt:

u cant write in eng?

I graduated with Phd  in yoruba language that was the reason .  grin,
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by fredoooooo: 6:08pm On Feb 10, 2012
afam4eva:

No be you tell am say you live off Idumagbo. he thinks you're his kind. Oya answer am in the language you guys know.

angry angry angry angry what is your problem ?
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
These yoruba people are so bush and barbaric, it is pathetic to watch sometimes. Unevolved, stinky, lazy and just plain disgusting people. So shameless. Just a single look at their tiger mangled faces, big offensive lips and loudness is enough to remind everyone that evolution is real.

Really pathetic bunch. angry angry
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 10, 2012
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Yeske2(m): 10:34pm On Feb 10, 2012
Na today?
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 10, 2012
PStylish:

Ehya. Sorry. Pele. Oku iya. but you just have to live with them or return to your village.
You either love the Yorubas or you die of hate.
By the way, you know all these about Yorubas because you "don see them finish" since they accommodated you.
I know people in the remote areas of your region will be worse off. We always hear stories of how cannibalistic you guys can be. We've seen Yorubas who were lucky to escape from your cooking pots.
Also you guys still engage in such outdated practices as wife sale (yes, you sell your wives) and killing suspected witches.And the list goes on and on.

Your obas and baales indulge in cannibalism of their kins in order to be allowed to ascend the throne. Thread!!! If you desire so i would pull up the proof. Next one please.
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 12:46am On Feb 11, 2012
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 4:57am On Feb 11, 2012
Too much bla bla bla and still nothing worthwhile was said. Contrary to what you might think, i am just making a f00l out of you because the whole Igbo cannibalism nonsense is baseless and childishly laughable.

No known case of cannibalism has been recorded in Igbo land in centuries on any existing literature or documentation. If you can prove me wrong, present the facts. But it is a known fact everywhere that yorubas still engage in unthinkable cannibalism, from oyo to ogun. An act so cemented on their culture that would-be kings cannibalize the corpse of dead ones to ascend a throne. You people are really disgusting to say the least. But it is expected from people who still dwell in caves like osun, ekiti, kwara and oyo, in the 21st century.

And about your so called dirty women that exhume repulsive stench every where they grace, you must really be joking to believe that sane and rational Igbo men would go for such rejects. Man please, the east is filled with so many unimaginably beautiful and well kempt broads that i pity the man who settles for less, talk more of yoruba less. Lol, You should come to Enugu and see women that would make you shed tears 'cause of how gorgeous they look. I wonder why anyone would go for those big lipped, fat slobs in your region.

You people are just bunch of animals and agberos that keep making fools out of yourselves. The earlier you lot clean up your acts and uncouthness, the better for you.

You should see how you are really perceived by the easterners.

Professional lazy touts. ''owo e da''??
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by ekwynwa: 9:49am On Feb 11, 2012
Bandit C.:

Too much bla bla bla and still nothing worthwhile was said. Contrary to what you might think, i am just making a f00l out of you because the whole Igbo cannibalism nonsense is baseless and childishly laughable.

No known case of cannibalism has been recorded in Igbo land in centuries on any existing literature or documentation. If you can proof me wrong, present the facts. But it is a known fact everywhere that yorubas still engage in unthinkable cannibalism, from oyo to ogun. An act so cemented on their culture that would-be kings cannibalize the corpse of dead ones to ascend a throne. You people are really disgusting to say the least. But it is expected from people who still dwell in caves like osun, ekiti, kwara and oyo, in the 21st century.

And about your so called dirty women that exhume repulsive stench every where they grace, you must really be joking to believe that sane and rational Igbo men would go for such rejects. Man please, the east is filled with so many unimaginably beautiful and well kempt broads that i pity the man who settles for less, talk more of yoruba less. Lol, You should come to Enugu and see women that would make you shed tears 'cause of how gorgeous they look. I wonder why anyone would go for those big lipped, fat slobs in your region.

You people are just bunch of animals and agberos that keep making fools out of yourselves. The earlier you lot clean up your acts and uncouthness, the better for you.

You should see how you are really perceived by the easterners.

Professional lazy touts. ''owo e da''??

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 11, 2012
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 11, 2012
PStylish:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Your response is so hilarious and makes you look like a sinking

man. It showed I hit you below the belt and very hard too. And to make it worse, they were

all facts which you know and accept. The only point you are trying to make is that Yorubas

also engage in those heinous acts thereby justifying the need for the Igbos to do same. And

you are wrong there.
I doubt if you are a graduate. Otherwise how will you equate the fast disappearing

coronation rite Yoruba would-be kings having to eat the heart of an immediate past dead king

before ascending the throne with an intentional slaughter by aborigine Igbos in the village

of a healthy human being for the sole purpose of eating him/her all up with strangers being

first choice delicacies.
The old Yoruba rite was only performed by would-be kings once in a lifetime not the general

populace. And I doubt if its still in vogue as most of the kings we have nowadays are

yuppy,educated and enlightened kings who were reluctant to leave their respective careers

and businesses to return home to ascend the throne. They must have rejected all such

outdated rites as condition for accepting to be king.Some of them are now born again and

attend holy ghost services at the redemption camp.
So, there is no basis for comparison between the cold blooded cannibalism that goes on in

the remote areas of the east ad the old Yoruba coronation rite unless you just want to be

mischievous by trying to justify the unjustifiable.

As regards yoruba ladies, your comment is self consoling as it depicts the "afterall, the

grapes are sore" scenario.Igbo men always cherish and love them but they the Yoruba ladies

would have none of it because of those stories of ladies who narrowly escaped the cooking

pot.This is evidence enough than any written evidence. Who writes such? I am not lying.These

incidents happened. The few Yoruba ladies who marry Igbo men get such shower of love and

attention from them that they give in after intense pressure especially if there is no

responsible Yoruba man making advances. I confess that very few Yoruba men can love their

Yoruba wives the way Igbo men love their Yoruba wives.They virtually worship them.
Yoruba ladies often mistake me for Igbo (people from my area don't really look Yoruba) and immediately put up a tough resistance.When I eventually convince

them I am not, its almost late as the first impression has already been created. Whereas I

find warm embrace in the arms of Igbo ladies. But its the Yoruba I want!!!
Igbo ladies are just too hairy.They have excessive hair on their chest, thigh and a.nus etc.

Though they maybe pretty when young,they age faster than Yoruba ladies of similar age. A

40-year old Igbo lady will look as aged as a 47-year old Yoruba woman.Also, dark patches

begin to appear on their faces few years after marriage.These are reasons I wont like to

marry them even though they may be better wives. Yoruba women in their 60s are still sexy.
These are all facts you cannot deny. They are no insults. I don't throw insults.

And you still call us animals?
So you live with animals? Animals have been accommodating you for donkey years? Then you

must be an animal by now.

Agberos are just part of Yoruba life. You better live with it or get out. How can you leave

the east several km away to come and settle in the west and you think you will not have to

pay dues (deve) all your life. Thats very unthinkable of you.Thats how it is everywhere in

the world. The operation of the agberos serves us, Yorubas, well.They are meant for you

guys. In Lagos, it affirms your visitor/settler status forever.And its okay for rival groups

to fight each other. Its none of your business.

Lest I forget, you have not told me why Igbos sell their wives when they are broke or hard pressed for cash.

One love.

Kid, you are just plain boring. I have engaged clones like you here before and they all have few things in common they ramble about senselessly, muddling  up incoherent and incomprehensible topics that have no relevance whatsoever to the discuss and in the end, they are left broken and pathetic looking.

If you think that you can even hit me anywhere, talk more of below the belt, then you really don't know me then and i feel sorry for you because you think you make some obvious points that nobody else can see. Sorry.

Ignoring all the hypothetical theories, rantings and nonsense in your post, i ask you again;

1) Please provide me any source, link or documentation that shows that any Igbo clan has engaged in cannibalism in at least 6 centuries. I do not need hearsay sources but concrete ones and if you cannot provide them, then you are a big f00l that has been cursed to eternal stuupidity.

2) Are yorubas not known cannibals africa wide who still cannibalize their kinsmen up to this day and feast on the cooked flesh of their kinsmen during the coronation of their Obas? Am i wrong in claiming that or do i , according to you , need a university degree to be able to see it (such a stuupid way of thinking). Do you want me to prove them to you? 'cause it would be my pleasure.

The difference between you and i, is that i am willing to confront you with facts while you are running around, mumbling nonsense like a beheaded chicken.

About the trash you posted up there about yoruba women, which i cannot be bothered to pay mind to, i leave the rest of the Nigerians out there to make the final call.

Ask any Nigerian which they'd rather go with, yoruba women or Igbo women and watch the answers trickle down and believe me, the result wouldn't be surprising to any sane human being. Your women are the bottom of the barrel and scum of the society due to their laziness, loudness, uncouthness, tiger-claw marks, defecating in their shops, tying the same wrapper for weeks, obnoxious stench and the list goes on.

You trying to compare yoruba women to the Igbo ones is just downright insulting and at the same time laughable at best.

Igbo women, as long as Nigeria is in the question, remain the strongest, most intelligent, independent, competent, well kempt and down right some of the most beautiful women you can come across in this cesspit called Nigeria. 

You guys should really know your level and class and stay right there because you are not convincing anyone.

Bloody touts of a tribe.
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by favouredjb(f): 4:58pm On Feb 11, 2012
@armed bandit c,shut ur trap,u this efulefu!pack your bags and go back to nnewi or mbaino if you hate we Yorubas(cos u guys like spelln it dt way)that much,omo iran ki ran
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by igboboy1(m): 7:49am On Feb 12, 2012
NDI OFE MANU NA KO IHE E'NWERE ISI,

GA TA INSI tongue
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by favouredjb(f): 8:43am On Feb 13, 2012
^^^oponu
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by johnie: 10:05am On Feb 13, 2012
Street carnivals turn into theatre of violence
January 14, 2012 by Adeola Balogun and Comfort Oseghale
victim3

Just before the end of 2011, Lagos was agog with street carnivals. As was the custom in most parts of the city, the annual ritual was accompanied with much eating, drinking and dancing. And while Lagosians looked forward to the New Year, it was expected that old animosities would have been discarded and forgotten.

Unfortunately, instead of the usual peace and calm that usually characterised these end-of-year activities in the past, last December’s carnivals were marred by violence in some parts of Lagos. For example, tragedy struck at Humani Street, Somolu, two days to the New Year. CRIME DIGEST learnt that a member of the Oodua Peoples Congress named Kehinde Ogundare, who lived in the street, was hit by a stray bullet.

Eyewitnesses said that at about 3.40 am, a group of youths armed with dangerous weapons had arrived at the venue of the carnival with the sole aim of disrupting the event.

The youths, who wore blue and black berets and were known to most residents of the area as the ‘EFCC Boys’, had arrived at Humani via Ikija Street and immediately launched an attack on the gathering.

The organiser of the carnival, Mr. Lekan Lawal, said the event had gone on for about four hours before the youths struck. He said, “It was about 3.40 am when we heard a shout. We were still dancing and celebrating when we noticed some people running. What we heard next were gunshots. Before we could do anything, these EFCC Boys had overwhelmed us.

“They smashed and damaged the windscreen of some cars parked on the road and shot into the crowd. The carnival broke up immediately and we all fled for our lives.

“Our investigation showed that while the attack lasted, there was no intervention from the police. As a result, the hoodlums were able to escape after concluding their operation.”

Still recovering from the wounds sustained during the attack, Ogundare told CRIME DIGEST, “I had just come out of my house when gunshots rang out. I tried to run back into my house and the next thing I knew, I was shot in the buttocks.”

Following the shooting, some sympathisers carried Ogundare to Alade Police Station, where they made a formal complaint before taking him to the Somolu General Hospital for treatment.

CRIME DIGEST

gathered that the EFCC Boys had held the neighbourhood in a vice grip for a long time, often robbing and terrorising Somolu residents.

“This group of boys are a nuisance to our community and we have written countless petitions to the police to that effect, but the EFCC Boys are being shielded by powerful politicians,” a resident told our correspondent.

The youths had allegedly ambushed and robbed unsuspecting residents of Oguntolu Street at gunpoint before invading the venue of the carnival.

Earlier, they were said to have attempted to disrupt another carnival on Okesuna Street.

A source said, “They have been responsible for a series of public disturbances, looting and armed robbery in Somolu. In 2009, their leader was arrested for murder and remanded at Kirikiri Prisons and released after six months.

“Last June, he led some others to cause mayhem at Ilaje in which one Mrs. Bunmi Afolabi and others were wounded. In December 2010, Balogun was once again arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad for various offences, ranging from murder and armed robbery to other offences, but was released after four months. Since his release, that fellow has led other miscreants to disturb the peace of Somolu community.

“The boys have families within our community; they are well known fugitives and renegades in the community that have used Ikorodu, Fadeyi and Ilaje as their hideouts. Some of them still live in our midst, yet the police have been unable to arrest them.”

In another development, a youth was stabbed to death during an argument on Modupe Street, Okeira-Ogba, Lagos. The deceased and his assailant, yet to be identified, were attending a carnival on the same street when they had a misunderstanding over a girl.

Unable to resolve their differences amicably, they resorted to a brawl. “I don’t really know those involved because all manner of youths attend street carnivals. But I learnt that a fight broke out and broken bottles were freely used and one person was stabbed to death. It is not still clear if any arrests have been made because the attacker fled, but the wounded youth was rushed to a hospital nearby by his friends,” a resident said.

Also, what began as a merry street carnival in Ejigbo suddenly turned sour and resulted in a clash between two groups that eventually led to the death of a young man. Eyewitnesses told CRIME DIGEST that the youth had been fatally wounded during the fight.

On the eve of Christmas, the virus spread to Yakoyo, in Ojodu Local Government Area. Youths from Association Avenue stormed a carnival on Abudu Obayomi Sreet, along Ojodu-Akute Road and unleashed mayhem.

Although the clash did not result in any death, it created bad blood among residents of both streets.

The youths from Abudu Abayomi Street had chased the invading ‘Association Boys’ to their own territory. But for the intervention of the guards on duty at the entrance to Assocation Avenue, there would have been disturbance of the peace and possible bloodshed.

The angry youths were calmed down by the security personnel. But on their way back to their homes, they were overheard vowing to wait till the following week to deal with their opponents.

But word reached the elders, who in turn wisely called for the cancellation of a street carnival scheduled to take place on Association Avenue on New Year’s Eve.

The cancellation was said to have dealt the youths a big blow and they secretly vowed to deal with the guard who they suspected might have persuaded the elders to stop the carnival.

On New Year’s Eve, some of the youths, who were returning from another party very early in the morning, almost lynched the guard, named Ganiu Wasiu, after accusing him of ruining their fun. CRIME DIGEST learnt that the guard was lucky no to have been stabbed to death with broken bottles by the irate youths.

Wasiu told our correspondent that the boys held him responsible for the cancellation of their street carnival.

He says, “I wouldn’t know why they accused me of stopping their party; the decision was taken by the landlords association and I am not a member. I am only employed to guard the street. On Christmas Eve, I intervened when boys from Abudu Abayomi pursued some of the boys to the gate here.

“I stopped the Abayomi boys from going further and pleaded with them to bury the hatchet after explaining to me how their party was disrupted by the Association Avenue boys. After much persuasion, they agreed, but while they were going back, I overheard them as they vowed to pay them back in their own coin during our street carnival.

“As the security man here, I informed the chairman of the landlords association of what happened and what I heard the other street boys say they would do on the following week. I later learnt that the carnival was cancelled, but on the New Year’s Eve, after opening the gate for a group of the boys who were coming back from another party, they attacked me.”

He said the youths threw sand at him, nearly blinding him in the process. When he protested, they pounced on him and told him they were punishing him for stopping their party.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/crime-digest/street-carnivals-turn-into-theatre-of-violence/
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 13, 2012
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by igboboy1(m): 8:53am On Feb 14, 2012
favouredjb:

^^^oponu
^^ogbanje
Re: 9 Dead As Nurtw Factions Clash In Lagos by johnie: 11:07am On Feb 14, 2012
NURTW CRISIS: 111 Suspects Nabbed
Published on February 13, 2012 by

A combined team of the Rapid Response Squad, RRS and the Lagos State Task Force on Environment and Special (Enforcement) Unit stormed Lagos Island area of Lagos, Southwest Nigeria last night and arrested 111 suspected miscreants terrorising the area following clashes between factions of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW.

In the last two weeks, miscreants belonging to factions of the NURTW have made Lagos Island ungovernable as they killed innocent people and destroyed property worth millions of naira.

In view of the turbulence in the area, the RRS and task force stormed the area around 10.00 pm on Sunday and raided the miscreants for hours.

P.M.NEWS gathered that the operatives of the RRS and the task force were fully armed and stormed Lagos Island in large number with Black Maria to arrest the suspects.

The joint operation was said to have been led by the RRS Commander, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu, a Chief Superintendent of Police.

The suspects arrested were taken to the Task Force Headquarters at Alausa, Ikeja and remanded in detention and will be prosecuted later in the day.

When contacted, the Task force Chairman, Mr. Bayo Sulaiman, a Superintendent of Police, confirmed that 111 suspects were arrested last night.

Sulaiman said the police decided to tackle to the problems in the area in order to protect lives and property and ensure that people in the area live in peace and harmony.

He lamented that in the last few days, miscreants had held Lagos Island hostage and disturbed the peace of the area, adding that there was no way the government could allow such brazen lawlessness to continue.

“We have to move to the area to quell the problem. Those arrested are miscreants fomenting trouble in the area. We are going to charge them to court today for prosecution,” he said.

Sulaiman added that the task force and the RRS were fully ready to storm other trouble spots in the state and smoke out miscreants disturbing the peace of innocent Lagosians, saying that the exercise would be continuous.

It is expected that with the raid, calmness will at last return to Lagos Island that had been the theatre of NURTW factional clashes with miscreants unleashing terror on residents of the area.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/13/nurtw-crisis-111-suspects-nabbed/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Four Arrested For Killing Recharge Card Dealer / UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa / NAIJABET.COM held up my winnings . How Can I Report Them? (RESOLVED) .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.