Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? (6280 Views)

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success / Nairaland Programmers That Share Language And City In Common / Is This What Big IT Firms Do? Please Help Me Out Nairaland Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 1:32am On Feb 28, 2012
I use nginx, passenger for the app layer. I use cap to deploy to a linode. Errr yeah thats it. . . damainboss.com is just my sandbox, at least for now. There are times when I just need a domain to test something I learnt or thought about, just like I did for easy deployment few days ago  smiley
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 2:38am On Feb 28, 2012
Isn't that a bit expensive? or are you hosting yourself? See this guy's overing: http://www.a2hosting.com/
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 3:27am On Feb 28, 2012
Too expensive? Naa. For the services and flexibility I think its just about right. That site doesn't even look appealing. That puts me off a lot! angry The VPS rates look too cheap to be true. They just gave me a VM and I set it up from scratch! 
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 4:00am On Feb 28, 2012
I'm a value seeker, linode is about ~20$/month for their cheapest offer (?). I'm saying it's too expensive based on what you're using it for -- on A2, see their "StartUp Web Hosting Plan," which is cheaper since its a shared hosting (if scalability and bandwidth aren't your concern, which, per what you're doing, it shouldn't). I get the flexibility argument but do you really want to be spending more of your time doing sysadmin vs. having them [the company] do it, and get remote SSH to their managed services (just saying).

I agree their site doesn't look very appealing, but I doubt that matters much.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 4:54am On Feb 28, 2012
delomos:

which is cheaper since its a shared hosting (if scalability and bandwidth aren't your concern, which, per what you're doing, it shouldn't)

I agree their site doesn't look very appealing, but I doubt that matters much.
Oh you think I just host damainboss.com and dats it? lol I've got a few other apps running there man. I have a game that I am currently working on(private git repo tongue ) which requires a client-server model. I have the "server" on linode! I added a few networking features to my current software engineering group project. Again, the code that handles server stuff is on there. A few other stuffs as well.  Oh yh I hide some private stuff there too, lol  grin All these with a 512MB VM.

Linode, if not the best is almost the best. You should make use of their platform manager! AWESOME(NB: The images used in their documentation are old versions tho). . . I've got free 24hrs support either by using tickets or on IRC from the technical team.

Also, if you dont want to do any sys admin shIt, they allow you install control panels(e.g cPanel). They also have StackScripts. All you need do is choose a script, populate a 3-5 field form and you have a working VM in less than 3 minutes.

Oh and yh you can ssh into Linode itself, not just the VM, so I can do EVERYTHING from my local machine(Terminal). Man I think the £12 I paid is too small  lipsrsealed Oh that reminds me, I only started using Linode in Jan, more of Feb though!

Linode all they way cheesy

I get the flexibility argument but do you really want to be spending more of your time doing sysadmin
Hell Yeah! If you think about it, I dont setup virtual machines every Day/Week/Month. All I need to do is setup properly once, and keep deploying. Once in a while i update the system(gems, packages and so on).

Did I convince you to get a linode?  sad cheesy
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 5:47am On Feb 28, 2012
Fayimora:

Did I convince you to get a linode?  sad cheesy

I totally understand your point, if you believe you're getting the value off it, totally your call. Did you convince me to get linode, nope. I'm a very, very cheap guy, I be 9ja ninja after all -- I'm getting all my need met for way less (almost close to free). For work, I do sysadmin stuff, mostly because I have no choice.

On my personal project (which are mostly in PHP), I've been with www.hostmonster.com for years, meets my need. I'm only considering A2 because they do RoR 3+ / PHP (hostmonster does Rails 2+) I don't want to deal with sysadmin stuff, I like I can just call someone when sh3t breaks and they do more and better.

Maybe I can convince you to do all you're doing on Linode for free (I really still can't justify you paying for educational computing):

1. Get VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/overview.html, you can probably get a free copy from your school or "somewhere"wink
2. Get a Bitnami stack: http://bitnami.org/
3. Start coding and picking up chics.

And if you just don't care for any of those, just do Heroku (http://www.heroku.com/, they have a very sweet gem that integrates nice esp. if you're Cap'ing or maybe not) << this guys will host you for free on small projects and when you're ready to go "live" you pay-per-usage.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 8:42pm On Feb 28, 2012

Dont get it twisted when I didn't need linode, I deployed to my personal VPSs. I have one at home(BT has sent me warnings) and another in school. I also used and still make use of amazon cloud servers, for instance http://ec2-23-21-243-96.compute-1.amazonaws.com/ and a few others. But right now, i've got people that won't stop until I develop something for them so I can aswel get something reliable. With my linode, I can deploy 20 moderately resourceful RoR applications and not worry about memory or even setup, to an extent for just £140/yr. Later, when I deem it necessary, would subscribe to New Relic too. C'mmon man get convinced angry grin

I may not be interested in system admin stuff but its quite a lovely field. . . . 

(I really still can't justify you paying for educational computing):
Errr why did you call it educational computing?

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 9:28pm On Feb 28, 2012
Oh I see, makes sense. Are those 20 you're deploying "sample" RoR apps or "live" apps (as in people are using it)? I strongly doubt you can deploy 20 RoR n a shared memory and not face a crippling (consider you have 512).

And if they're "sample" projects, that's what I consider educational computer. When I was learning Rails, I just deployed all to Heroku, and since it was learning it didn't really matter, I just used Rails built-in server -- I didn't use rails in any serious project, long-term maintenance was just too expensive for a cheap me.

When I start building Geleyi Platform (www.geleyi.com), I was split between RoR and a PHP MVC/ORM Framework, the cost of RoR for a small start-up like mine was just too much (in terms of resource and talent). Glad I choose PHP.

New Relics looks awesome! I don't have a need for it yet though, but I bet as geleyi nears lunch it will be inevitable.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 12:06am On Feb 29, 2012
From our calculations, you can deploy 10 RoR live apps on a linode comfortably. Others can be demo projects but probably less interaction with the database! Oh and yeah they give you a few megabytes,  NOt sure but i think its 10% of your original mem everyday if the need arises. Anything more than that then you would have to buy some more mem. You can also get an extra IP address for just $1.

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 3:26am On Feb 29, 2012
As you can see, the cost adds up pretty fast. I can only justify that cost if my site is generating a revenue that's covering that cost.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 4:54am On Feb 29, 2012
Ok i give up. cry
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 5:21am On Feb 29, 2012
Haahhaaa, I actually agree with you, I just don't have that kind of money, really.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 7:15am On Feb 29, 2012
Yaaay! lol ok cool. The money would come out when the need arises!
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Sarahtaylor01: 6:49pm On Apr 23, 2019
money is only reward dear . in most cases its helpfull.
regards
best mattress for side sleepers
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Sarahtaylor01: 6:54pm On May 04, 2019
After years of not sleeping well and not finding the right guide for natural products online, she decided to do the research so others don’t suffer when buying a new mattress as she did. For the past 3 years, she studied everything about sleep and natural product to put the best natural mattress buying guide online. if you have any suggestion than you can share it with me regards
sweet zzz mattress reviews
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Sarahtaylor01: 2:08pm On May 12, 2019
After years of not sleeping well and not finding the right guide for natural products online, she decided to do the research so others don’t suffer when buying a new mattress as she did. For the past 3 years, she studied everything about sleep and natural product to put the best natural mattress buying guide online.
regards
best mattress for stomach sleepers
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by sweetzzz: 11:11am On May 31, 2019
The Natures Novel uses natural wool as fire retardant. This way the mattress passes fire laws and is not a fire hazard while staying healthy. Since its required by law, all mattresses must have a fire barrier. The law however does not restrict manufacturers from using chemicals as fire retardants, so most manufacturers take the cheap route.
regards
natural latex mattress
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by dlawnoni: 8:37pm On Jun 02, 2019
Plz. Someone should help me on the mode of operation of SHADOWSOCKS VPN. It's been really giving me a tough time.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by sweetzzz: 8:07pm On Jun 15, 2019
The bed you sleep in is more than a place to rest. It creates an environment that eases you into deep, peaceful slumber. Body and mind are refreshed, and you wake up with a smile.
regards
sweet zzz mattress reviews
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by CodePlay1(m): 7:36am On Jun 21, 2019
Hey Guys,
I just published my first game on play store

4 pics 1 game is designed specifically for game lovers � (Or anyone that loves solving word puzzles and brain teasers �). If you like a challenge, then this is the best game for you ✨

Y'all can check it out on playstore, and also please give me some feedback so i know what features to add(or remove) smiley. Thanks for all the love!

Click this link to download on android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.somtee.fourpicsonegame
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by zubydave(m): 8:48pm On Jul 11, 2019
h
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by katherinerippey: 12:48pm On Sep 06, 2019
A Clicktrans account gives you access to 44,000 transport providers. Only verified transport companies will be able to quote on your listings. Review customer feedback to find the transport provider best suited to your business.With Clicktrans you can ship the things a courier won’t take.
For more information visit our website: https://clicktrans.com
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by katymattress(m): 1:33pm On Sep 16, 2019
[url]How to Move a Mattress[/url]
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by katymattress(m): 1:39pm On Sep 16, 2019
<p><span data-sheets-value="{&quot;1&quot;:2,&quot;2&quot;:&quot;How to Move a Mattress&quot;}" data-sheets-userformat="{&quot;2&quot;:25089,&quot;3&quot;:{&quot;1&quot;:0},&quot;12&quot;:0,&quot;16&quot;:12,&quot;17&quot;:0}">How to Move a Mattress</span></p>
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by sweetzzz: 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hello House: Let's Do A Little PHP Using PDO / How It Feels Like To Learn Javascript In 2016 / Create Database Diagram From Oracle Database

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.