Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,758 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost (1661 Views)

How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / Our Dangerous Prayers, Using Holy Ghost Fire As A Weapon Of Destruction / Holy Ghost Vs Holy Spirit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by numo86(m): 9:31am On Feb 13, 2012
do these 2 terms "HOLY SPIRIT" and "HOLY GHOST" mean one & d same thing??, have we ever sat down to ask ourselves this question
Should & can these 2 terms be used inter-changeably in d bible or when we pray for it??.
Which of these 2 terms would best describe GOD's spirit?
from the definition of the word "GHOST" which means
1. The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons
or to haunt former habitats.
2. The center of spiritual life; the soul.
3. A demon or spirit.
4. A returning or haunting memory or image.
can we say that a ghost can actually be holy??,
And did it occur to us all that if we choose to use the term HOLY GHOST as king james describes it,then we would be implying that God the Father is a GHOST,, ,BECAUSE THE Holy spirit is Gods spirit,
Can we say God is a ghost(an apparition)??.
Whats ur pick??which should be used
HOLY SPIRIT or HOLY GHOST,
Recent revised bible translations are now changing & usin the word "HOLY SPIRIT" instead of Holy Ghost,
What about u?
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Goshen360(m): 10:03am On Feb 13, 2012
Make no mistake. Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost is one but usage is different. Before Christ came and died, Spirit was used and Ghost was used after Christ. From my bible understanding, Holy Ghost is the right word to used in this Christian age.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Joagbaje(m): 10:39am On Feb 13, 2012
Ghost simply means "spirit" one is ,one generically used than the other. Especially for specific topic.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by akinnux(m): 11:38am On Feb 13, 2012
The fact is that language usage changes with time because language is dynamic. In the Elizabethan era, the word 'Ghost' is generally understood as 'spirit'. Indeed there are many other words in the King James Bible which meaning are no longer  'meaningful' today that is the reason we have the New King James Bible. So really, it just a matter of changing times and language: the two words 'spirit' and 'ghost' have the same meaning.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by numo86(m): 12:31pm On Feb 13, 2012
@goshen@joagbaje@akinnux,
Can we say God is a ghost by ur reasonings?
, if by what y'all imply, ghost & spirit mean 1 & d same thing can we say God is a ghost?
Yes or No
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Ptolomeus(m): 4:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
numo86:

@goshen@joagbaje@akinnux,
Can we say God is a ghost by ur reasonings?
, if by what y'all imply, ghost & spirit mean 1 & d same thing can we say God is a ghost?
Yes or No
Very good question.
Some say that those who worship spirits are part of a spiritualist or animist religion and claim that those who worship spirits go to hell because they are devil worshipers , Mhhhhhh
This really confuses me a little ,
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Judek2(m): 5:51pm On Feb 13, 2012
When man dies, his spirit goes to God, that is why only in spirit then, we can see God.

Gods spirit, and humans spirit are not the same. There is spirit of truth,and spirit of lies. God is the spirit of truth and Satan has the spirit of lies.

So,we worship the "Spirit" of truth, and not "spirits",which is demonic and idolatory.
Spirits is legions,and not of God.

Ptolomeus:

Very good question.
Some say that those who worship spirits are part of a spiritualist or animist religion and claim that those who worship spirits go to hell because they are devil worshipers , Mhhhhhh
This really confuses me a little ,
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Whymee: 12:14am On Feb 14, 2012
My advise for our Christians poster is to start asking for the real bible in it's original revealed language,

Version of bible are out there with conflicting passages, am surprised WE HAVE KING JAMES VERSION, n NEW KING JAMES VERSION, who are the authors and was it the HOLY SPIRITS OR HOLY GHOST that supervised during the edition.

We have professors out there with vast understanding of language, let them come to our aids, let's have the original text printed on side by side with the English translation, just as we have the qurian.

This will facilitate further research into christiandom and all versions out there will be sorted out.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Goshen360(m): 1:02am On Feb 14, 2012
I cannot give answer more than my understanding. My understanding is, God is a Spirit and they that worship must worship in spirit and in truth. Spirit and Ghost usage in the bible differs. God is a Spirit as said, I am not talking about evil spirit anyway. My God is GOOD.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Enigma(m): 1:07am On Feb 14, 2012
goshen

'ghost' is simply in this context a very old English word for 'spirit'; so you are right about their usage for the same thing. (Edited for clarity: modern usage is better as Holy Spirit; but with proper understanding there is nothing wrong with saying Holy Ghost)  smiley

There are many things people do not understand and which cause confusion: take e.g. the word "conversation" used in some older Bible translations (in e.g. Phillipians 1:27) --- a misinformed person would think it means "speech" when it was really being used to denote "conduct" based on old usage.

Another example: if I say "John was lawfully abroad", what do you think I mean.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by numo86(m): 10:17am On Feb 14, 2012
goshen360:

I cannot give answer more than my understanding. My understanding is, God is a Spirit and they that worship must worship in spirit and in truth. Spirit and Ghost usage in the bible differs. God is a Spirit as said, I am not talking about evil spirit anyway. My God is GOOD.

is an evil spirit not synonymous to a ghost?
Or isnt an apparition synonymous to a ghost, if they are,then why use it to describe Gods holy spirit?
You agreed that God definitly is a spirit not a ghost as john 4:24 tells us,but why would people sometimes define his spirit as a ghost,
My problem is king james knew he could use d most appropriate word @ that time which was "holy spirit" but he chose to use holy ghost,
I guess he had sometin in mind for using a ghost to describe Gods spirit,
D truth is persons use those words inter-changeably & it doesnt jus make sense,
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Ptolomeus(m): 4:29pm On Feb 15, 2012
Judek2:

So,we worship the "Spirit" of truth, and not "spirits",which is demonic and idolatory.
goshen360:

I cannot give answer more than my understanding. My understanding is, God is a Spirit and they that worship must worship in spirit and in truth.

That's what I meant.
I do not mean to offend, but just an opinion.
I do not understand is that if someone worships a spirit, criticize those who worship spirits.
Excuse me my ignorance, but do not speak only of the holy spirit, but also worship angels, saints, the Virgin Mary , is also a legion ,
Like it or not, there are many parallels between the two , really dead spirits are worshiped.
Best regards!
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by plappville(f): 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2012
Ptolomeus:

That's what I meant.
I do not mean to offend, but just an opinion.
I do not understand is that if someone worships a spirit, criticize those who worship spirits.
Excuse me my ignorance, but do not speak only of the holy spirit, but also worship angels, saints, the Virgin Mary , is also a legion ,
Like it or not, there are many parallels between the two , really dead spirits are worshiped.
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Best regards!

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

No other spirit should be worshiped, the bible is clear enough for us.
Re: Holy Spirit Vs Holy Ghost by Ptolomeus(m): 7:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
plappville:

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

No other spirit should be worshiped, the bible is clear enough for us.
Dear friend.
We talked about the same.
I'm not doubting that there are good and bad spirits.
Which raises my confusion is that some people say they worship evil spirits is something, I understand that even the Bible says in some parts ,
Also defined as Spiritualism or Animism all cult worship of spirits yields.
A That's what I most respectfully I mean.

(1) (Reply)

Paganism Has The Worlds Largest Religious Population (approx. Demographics) / The Mistakes Joagbaje Made / MFM Pastors Suspended By Dr Olukoya After Collecting Money From Politician

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.