Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,548 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% (9311 Views)

Are You Part Of The 61% Approval Of President Jonathan's performance? / 61% Of Nigerians Approve Pres Jonathan’s Performance / The List Of Nigerian Looters Who Kept All Of Us In Poverty! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 13, 2012
I thought it's worse than the 61% figure!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Demdem(m): 7:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
Fresh Air !!!!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by RichyBlacK(m): 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
No hope for Nigeria until:

1. The country breaks up into to more manageable components so as to weaken the severely strong center,  overcompensating for decades of flawed devolution of powers.

2. The suffering triggers a revolution, likely leading to a civil war, that will see the violent purge of a generation of profoundly corrupt political class.

Outside these, I see no hope for Lord Luggard's 1914 experiment.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Wallie(m): 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
jason123:

Nigerians deserve this, even more!!!

Next time when National issues are being discussed, you'll would not tribalise it.

Except we have a very short memory! All that "e no go better for you" that we say is just coming true!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Wallie(m): 7:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
RichyBlacK:

1. The country breaks up into to more manageable components so as to weaken the severely strong center,  overcompensating for decades of flawed devolution of powers.

2. The suffering triggers a revolution, likely leading to a civil war, that will see the violent purge of a generation of profoundly corrupt political class.

In my opinion, breaking up Nigeria will only lead to greater problems including instability in the smaller countries. There are way too many tribes to successfully break up! Also, how would you divide the oil money? Do you think that states with no IGR will just fold their arms and watch their meal ticket disappear?

Can you imagine being forced into an arranged marriage and your wife of so many decades who recently won the lottery now wanting a divorce without giving you a share? Will it matter to you that she used her own money to buy the lottery ticket?

What is needed is true federalism where each state controls the resources within their border and pay taxes to the federal government. To make it fair, a special tax rate can be set up for natural resources.

Any state that cannot survive such an arrangement should merge with a neighboring state or states.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Cupidkc(m): 7:40pm On Feb 13, 2012
mens dept:

I guess you dont travel much, or go out more often. Even though our people are highly complacent, abit childish, and many cowardly, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to tell us what we can see at Oshodi, or Ijebu Ode, or Aba.

Our country is poor. You think having a few hotels and Shoprites makes us a "Modern" Nation? Or that we can have German and Chinese companies building us Stadium and national offices in Abuja as evidence that we are on the level of Canada who has the same population as the Center of Excellence Lagos?

Nonsense.

Right on point
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by dmainboss: 8:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
Nigeria has many poor people and the economy is really bad but these statistics are far from the truth. All around, people are buying new cars and building new houses and they are not politicians like many of u come here to shout. All those people selling under oshodi bridge do not live on $1 a day. Most of these agencies that produce these reports are only producing reports that will fetch them foreign aid. I have worked with some of them before. NGOs are one of the worst organisations in the country. Maybe in the north, the statistics might be close to the truth, but in the south, it is completely false. Do understand my point. I am not saying Nigerians are not poor or that they are not suffering, but that the figures and statistics being peddled about are false. And there is also another side to it all and that is the fact that Nigeria is very fertile for business. While more Nigerians are crying and many are running away, more and more foreigners are scrambling to come to Nigeria to do business. The number of people seeking Nigerian visas have sky rocketed in the last few years. A country with 150milliom people is a gold mine. Do u know Nigerian beweries plant in the south east is the biggest in Africa. Yet they complain that they. Cannot meet the demand of the Nigerian public. All the breweries combined are struggling to meet the Nigerian public demand. You can verify from these companies. Who drinks these millions of bottles of beer everyday? Is it the politicians? Some of u lot are so negativen u might just be undoing urselves. I complain about infrastructure and amenities in Nigeria but I never complain about money because Nigeria is full of it and if you are jonsing, u are on ur own!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Demdem(m): 8:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
dmainboss:

Nigeria has many poor people and the economy is really bad but these statistics are far from the truth. All around, people are buying new cars and building new houses and they are not politicians like many of u come here to shout. All those people selling under oshodi bridge do not live on $1 a day. Most of these agencies that produce these reports are only producing reports that will fetch them foreign aid. I have worked with some of them before. NGOs are one of the worst organisations in the country. Maybe in the north, the statistics might be close to the truth, but in the south, it is completely false. Do understand my point. I am not saying Nigerians are not poor or that they are not suffering, but that the figures and statistics being peddled about are false. And there is also another side to it all and that is the fact that Nigeria is very fertile for business. While more Nigerians are crying and many are running away, more and more foreigners are scrambling to come to Nigeria to do business. The number of people seeking Nigerian visas have sky rocketed in the last few years. A country with 150milliom people is a gold mine. Do u know Nigerian beweries plant in the south east is the biggest in Africa. Yet they complain that they. Cannot meet the demand of the Nigerian public. All the breweries combined are struggling to meet the Nigerian public demand. You can verify from these companies. Who drinks these millions of bottles of beer everyday? Is it the politicians? Some of u lot are so negativen u might just be undoing urselves. I complain about infrastructure and amenities in Nigeria but I never complain about money because Nigeria is full of it and if you are jonsing, u are on ur own!

Ok, we've heard. Kindly give us ur own figures and stat.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by grailife(m): 8:17pm On Feb 13, 2012
@demainboss ur right, there many rich people in the east atleast all the markets in the east have millions of people and they all pay house rent, store n parking store, etc. Some are landlords , car owners etc
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 13, 2012
dmainboss:

Nigeria has many poor people and the economy is really bad but these statistics are far from the truth. All around, people are buying new cars and building new houses and they are not politicians like many of u come here to shout. All those people selling under oshodi bridge do not live on $1 a day. Most of these agencies that produce these reports are only producing reports that will fetch them foreign aid. I have worked with some of them before. NGOs are one of the worst organisations in the country. Maybe in the north, the statistics might be close to the truth, but in the south, it is completely false. Do understand my point. I am not saying Nigerians are not poor or that they are not suffering, but that the figures and statistics being peddled about are false. And there is also another side to it all and that is the fact that Nigeria is very fertile for business. While more Nigerians are crying and many are running away, more and more foreigners are scrambling to come to Nigeria to do business. The number of people seeking Nigerian visas have sky rocketed in the last few years. A country with 150milliom people is a gold mine. [b]Do u know Nigerian beweries plant in the south east is the biggest in Africa. Yet they complain that they. Cannot meet the demand of the Nigerian public. All the breweries combined are struggling to meet the Nigerian public demand. You can verify from these companies. Who drinks these millions of bottles of beer everyday? [/b]Is it the politicians? Some of u lot are so negativen u might just be undoing urselves. I complain about infrastructure and amenities in Nigeria but I never complain about money because Nigeria is full of it and if you are jonsing, u are on ur own!
This is where you missed the point of living below dollars a day. Your points do not necessarily prove they don't live below a dollar per a day. Not all those millions of bottles are drunk in a day because not millions of Nigeria drink alcohol in a day but those who could afford them do and not on daily bases. On the other hand, the millions of drinks produced by those companies are in a yearly total which means the drinks are drunk in different occasions randomly in a 365 days. If you start picking people who drink randomly from the Nigeria population(which are in millions - leaving the 35% or more who are kids out of the equation) you would find out that each of them hasn't taken more than 90days drink in 360 days.Why? Is because many can't afford to do so because they are living below 1 dollar average. The random process makes it looked as if all of them drink 365 days to complement the idea of million drinking on daily bases(probably a bottle of beer in Nigeria should be close to a dollar or more - I don't know - but judging from your comment), which could have supported your point of alluding to millions living above 1dollar per day yet, it is not in this case.

From the above, it is the same terminology many Nigerians applied to telephone recharge cards topic and these are not positive reasons to explain living below poverty line, when we have seen that close to 50% people go empty every night. The feeding aspect should best explain well on this matter. How much is spent on food by the average population of Nigeria?First and foremost everybody is supposed to eat daily, take your statistic and draw a conclusion from that, you would be surprised that Nigerians living below poverty line is above 61%. Don't forget the largest population of Nigeria are still living in the rural areas and are largely peasant farmer who cannot afford 1 dollar on a daily bases. Even those in the city might be facing same thing as the cost of food stuff is high therefore many go hungry for not being able to afford them.

I think the presented statistic is not far from reality on ground due to the differences in demographic poverty variations and the population distribution.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 13, 2012
Hahaha I thought a few weeks ago some of you claimed the figures were false and that youve never seen poor people in Nigeria? At least we see that ChrisEnzo Character jumping in the ring yarning rubbish. Let me tell you something: IF GEJ CONTESTS TOMORROW (2015)---- HE WILL WIN! IF HE CONTESTS IN 2050---- HE WILL WIN!!! Why? Not only are Nigerians malnourished in the stomach, they are also famished in the brain. Their thinking mechanism is not only faulty, the thing don knock patapata. What would make a man sell his and his children's generation for a bag of rice? Then, (in the usual Naija evil way of justifying a terrible action) he'll make excuses like : "Well he had no shoes" or "Niger-Delta has never ruled" etc So, if a man had no shoes or a certain section of the country has never ruled, the remedy is to foist on the Nation a Known crook that has no single achievement to his name during all his years in Governance?!

UNNECESSARY TRIBALISM!!!!

The Politicians know this and they use it to their advantage. Not a few days ago, an opportunity to revamp the country, rid her of the old thieves, and start afresh presented itself, but what happened? Some people suddenly remembered what was done to their GrandFather's between 1967-1970. So, like the Jan.15, 1966 coup "Short-Sightedness", again, threw dirt on an otherwise Golden Opportunity and Noble Effort. Dont knock me for drawing parallels on subjects such as these; I know the "usual" Nigerian way is to ignore the truth and pretend its not there (Hoping it would somehow go away). Sorry, but I'm a student of history and I can smell a De Ja Vu from a thousand miles.

Imagine if Occupy Nigeria had totally engulfed the Nation. And a situation occured where the likes of IBB, Dimeji Bankole, The Ubah Brothers and other known corrupt Nigerians had to go on the run and flee for their lives. . . .  Wait, lets not even go that far, Lets imagine if the Yorubas did not harrass Remi Tinubu or Femi Otedola or if the Northerners did not burn down Emirs Palaces or buildings belonging to IBB. Lets assume they also felt the crooks from their Regions were sanctimonious and "everything wey dem dey do e dey right because na our pikin na the same language all of us dey talk" . . .  See, why I say things are moving dangerously close to 1966/67 again?

Keep playing yourselves and telling me you "Never do anything because we dont want to be part of Nigeria anyways". So, if your Mother is sick, to cure her you'll always hide the medicine that'll get her well? Oh ok, I'm getting yall now. Keep deceiving yourselves thinking youre deceiving others. If youre so serious about seceding why havent all your Politicians done something about it? Why havent they all gathered up all the Billions they get monthly and used it to start an effort instead of stashing it in their Bank Accounts overseas? Why havent they started some form of movement and agitation that would DEFINITELY be supported by the Igbo Nation worldwide?! Oh, you really believe in your head that your leaders love Abuja Handouts any less than a crooked Politician from Lagos or Kano? lmao

Keep deceiving yourselves. They come to the village meeting and scream Biafra and Igbo Kwenu and feed you with all kinds of propaganda about why they cant make your Region El Dorado ( "Those that fought against Biafra are starving us of funds"wink, but then they conveniently forget to tell you about the illegal Swiss Bank Accounts that they have in their concubines' names and in which the monthly allocation from Abuja, that is meant for the Development of the State, is being held. They "hate" Umu Hausa and Yoruba Mgbati Yoruba, but then they go behind your backs and Parley with the so-called "enemies" over champagne & Lobster on how to sell unborn Generations into slavery; But youre not angry or upset. Why? Oh, yeah, I remember, HE SPEAKS YOUR LANGUAGE!!! You must be dumb, fo*olish and terribly st*upid, if you think any politician really wants Nigeria to split today.

There will be more of these kind of sad stories of hunger coming out of Nigeria for Centuries to come if all hands do not join together to crush the real enemies of the state: THE CORRUPT POLITICIANS! If anyone thinks the elite will put laws in place to limit their constant flowing largesse, then I'll advice you to wake up from that dream and face the nightmare that is your reality. If you think the elite will let "it all go" without a fight; you must be from Mars.

They are entrenching their children in positions where they will be on top and Your children will continue another generation of slavery. So when do you think this whole cycle will end?

Nigerians really ought to be the most stu*pid people on the face of the Earth, the same tribalism that was of no benefit to your Grandfathers or Fathers, you really expect that it'll benefit you? If you dont know it; YOUR CHILDREN ARE IN DEEP SH^IT [/b]unless something changes drastically, and soon! Now theyve brainwashed them not only with tribalism, Religion is the next scam. You cant talk to certain Nigerians (thankfully I only know these kinds on-line) without them quoting passages of the Bible. . . . even when an obvious wrong has been done.

Let me stop here, so I dont seem to be rambling. Nigeria is a lost cause and the Youth are even worse than their fathers. Even if Nigeria was to break today, I think I can accurately pin-point the Regions that will falter because of either lack of Resources or because of "Low moral" value. Yes, when you see wrong happening and you turn the other way instead of confronting it head-on (or if you tell lies in place of the truth) : [b]YOU HAVE A LOW MORAL VALUE
. Theres a reason why Politicians here resign when caught in a seemingly, "harmless", lie. As a leader, you have to be of impeccable moral character.

The figures are there for all to see. Nigeria will get worse as time goes on. And if this generation knows whats good for them, theyd do themselves a lot of good to confront their destiny now, rather than later.

I've said my piece.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by NumberOne2(m): 8:53pm On Feb 13, 2012
I think part of the problem is the foreign exchange. The Dollar has fallen and so has the Naira. Poverty line used to be those living below US$1 a day. Now it is US$2 per day. Naturally, more folks will become poor if the US$2 yardstick is used. Dollar used to be N150. Now its N160 and climbing.

So doing the math: In 2004 someone living on US$1 per day (N150) was NOT poor. Now, the same person in 2010 living on US$1.90 (N304) which is less than US$2 is considered poor. How? The figures don't add up.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 13, 2012
Number_One:

I think part of the problem is the foreign exchange. The Dollar has fallen and so has the Naira. Poverty line used to be those living below US$1 a day. Now it is US$2 per day. Naturally, more folks will become poor if the US$2 yardstick is used. Dollar used to be N150. Now its N160 and climbing.

So doing the math: In 2004 someone living on US$1 per day (N150) was NOT poor. Now, the same person in 2010 living on US$1.90 (N304) which is less than US$2 is considered poor. How? The figures don't add up.

Wow.

Lmao. SMH
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 13, 2012
[size=18pt]
93.9% consider themselves in poverty.

The remaining 6.1% are the multi-billionaires political elites

We Nigerians deserve our impoverishment for allowing these looting elites to impoverish us  

Almost all Nigerians would soon be dirt poor, living standards in other African countries with less resources than ours are surpassing ours.

The next phase of our impoverishment has just started with fuel price hikes, there are planned doubling of electricity charges and devaluation, which would double the price of virtually every thing including food.

We must truely be idiots to allow fools to rule  us .  [/size]
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 9:06pm On Feb 13, 2012
Liberia which we have spent most of the last decade in war now has less people than us below the poverty line sad angry
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by pleep(m): 9:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
Number_One:

great point.

I am actually glad to hear this 61% figure. The average for africa is around 80%.  

Early in the 20th century the figure was around 10% if u notice as the standard of living in the developed world gets better it drops in Africa. You see the only way its possible for americans to live the way they do is by the magority of the world being poor.

I belive there is a set amount of money in the world, and its all about distribution.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 13, 2012
^^ the report says 93.9% consider themselves in poverty

The 61% refer to those in absolute poverty living on less than $1 per day
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by flexdee(m): 9:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
@kingoflag, you are absolutely right with your assessment.

I think the only problem confronting this nation is act of tribalism which can lead us to nowhere. We need to rise up and speak with one voice so that the blood sucking politicians will not condemn our generation totally.

Please let's forget about tribalism and think of the best way to fight for our own freedom.

Think about it.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
RichyBlacK:

For real. Nigeria is not destined, created or engineered for progress. The earlier we recognize and acknowledge this fact, the better for us. We are wasting our resources being a single country
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by hilli666(m): 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
How did we go from 1 Naira= 1 Pound, to 250 Naira=1 pounds?  From power @39% to 61% all in less than 50years. Yet we have more resources that most of the countries in the world (Yes I said MOST). This is why the Whites said Africans are incapable of anything else but Manual Labour. Still even with our much sought after independence and freedom from slavery, we continue to prove them right. As long as one generation is scared to fight ,die and make sacrifice for the next generation, this will remain the status quo! Fela summarised it all " I know wan die, I no wan quench, papa dey for work etc."  Excuses we make so we keep avoiding our responsibilities and the inevitable. The satus quo  must go!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Feb 13, 2012
Number_One:

Please go get your head washed . . . ,  e be like say dem don do something there. ROFLMAO!!!

When you are told that 61% of people live on less than a dollar a day, the first question that should come to your mind is the buying power of that dollar/Naira 160 in Nigeria. Not the foreign exchange rate.  

How much can a person really do with just one dollar a day of money available to em? Can that person, pay rent, feed (2-3 meals a day, pay for electricity, get access to clean water, pay for transporation, go to school, pay school fees, feed their dependents etc) when they only have just $1 coming in every day.

That is the same question that was asked back in 2004, and it is the same question that is being asked today. The reason we now measure against $2 AS WELL, is to essentially separate those living in abject poverty from those we want to generally consider poor. That is all the $2 yardstick is now there for.

Telling you that the total poor are about 93% is telling you that the sum of those living in abject poverty, and those who are still poor is as high as that. Simple as that.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by jimctu: 9:25pm On Feb 13, 2012
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Wallie(m): 9:27pm On Feb 13, 2012
kingoflag:

Hahaha I thought a few weeks ago some of you claimed the figures were false and that youve never seen poor people in Nigeria? At least we see that ChrisEnzo Character jumping in the ring yarning rubbish. Let me tell you something: IF GEJ CONTESTS TOMORROW (2015)---- HE WILL WIN! IF HE CONTESTS IN 2050---- HE WILL WIN!!! Why? Not only are Nigerians malnourished in the stomach, they are also famished in the brain. Their thinking mechanism is not only faulty, the thing don knock patapata. What would make a man sell his and his children's generation for a bag of rice? Then, (in the usual Naija evil way of justifying a terrible action) he'll make excuses like : "Well he had no shoes" or "Niger-Delta has never ruled" etc So, if a man had no shoes or a certain section of the country has never ruled, the remedy is to foist on the Nation a Known crook that has no single achievement to his name during all his years in Governance?!

UNNECESSARY TRIBALISM!!!!

The Politicians know this and they use it to their advantage. Not a few days ago, an opportunity to revamp the country, rid her of the old thieves, and start afresh presented itself, but what happened? Some people suddenly remembered what was done to their GrandFather's between 1967-1970. So, like the Jan.15, 1966 coup "Short-Sightedness", again, threw dirt on an otherwise Golden Opportunity and Noble Effort. Dont knock me for drawing parallels on subjects such as these; I know the "usual" Nigerian way is to ignore the truth and pretend its not there (Hoping it would somehow go away). Sorry, but I'm a student of history and I can smell a De Ja Vu from a thousand miles.

Imagine if Occupy Nigeria had totally engulfed the Nation. And a situation occured where the likes of IBB, Dimeji Bankole, The Ubah Brothers and other known corrupt Nigerians had to go on the run and flee for their lives. . . .  Wait, lets not even go that far, Lets imagine if the Yorubas did not harrass Remi Tinubu or Femi Otedola or if the Northerners did not burn down Emirs Palaces or buildings belonging to IBB. Lets assume they also felt the crooks from their Regions were sanctimonious and "everything wey dem dey do e dey right because na our pikin na the same language all of us dey talk" . . .  See, why I say things are moving dangerously close to 1966/67 again?

Keep playing yourselves and telling me you "Never do anything because we dont want to be part of Nigeria anyways". So, if your Mother is sick, to cure her you'll always hide the medicine that'll get her well? Oh ok, I'm getting yall now. Keep deceiving yourselves thinking youre deceiving others. If youre so serious about seceding why havent all your Politicians done something about it? Why havent they all gathered up all the Billions they get monthly and used it to start an effort instead of stashing it in their Bank Accounts overseas? Why havent they started some form of movement and agitation that would DEFINITELY be supported by the Igbo Nation worldwide?! Oh, you really believe in your head that your leaders love Abuja Handouts any less than a crooked Politician from Lagos or Kano? lmao

Keep deceiving yourselves. They come to the village meeting and scream Biafra and Igbo Kwenu and feed you with all kinds of propaganda about why they cant make your Region El Dorado ( "Those that fought against Biafra are starving us of funds"wink, but then they conveniently forget to tell you about the illegal Swiss Bank Accounts that they have in their concubines' names and in which the monthly allocation from Abuja, that is meant for the Development of the State, is being held. They "hate" Umu Hausa and Yoruba Mgbati Yoruba, but then they go behind your backs and Parley with the so-called "enemies" over champagne & Lobster on how to sell unborn Generations into slavery; But youre not angry or upset. Why? Oh, yeah, I remember, HE SPEAKS YOUR LANGUAGE!!! You must be dumb, fo*olish and terribly st*upid, if you think any politician really wants Nigeria to split today.

There will be more of these kind of sad stories of hunger coming out of Nigeria for Centuries to come if all hands do not join together to crush the real enemies of the state: THE CORRUPT POLITICIANS! If anyone thinks the elite will put laws in place to limit their constant flowing largesse, then I'll advice you to wake up from that dream and face the nightmare that is your reality. If you think the elite will let "it all go" without a fight; you must be from Mars.

They are entrenching their children in positions where they will be on top and Your children will continue another generation of slavery. So when do you think this whole cycle will end?

Nigerians really ought to be the most stu*pid people on the face of the Earth, the same tribalism that was of no benefit to your Grandfathers or Fathers, you really expect that it'll benefit you? If you dont know it; YOUR CHILDREN ARE IN DEEP SH^IT [/b]unless something changes drastically, and soon! Now theyve brainwashed them not only with tribalism, Religion is the next scam. You cant talk to certain Nigerians (thankfully I only know these kind on-line) without them quoting passages of the Bible. . . . even when an obvious wrong has been done.

Let me stop here, so I dont seem to be rambling. Nigeria is a lost cause and the Youth are even worse than their fathers. Even if Nigeria was to break today, I think I can accurately pin-point the Regions that will falter because of either lack of Resources or because of "Low moral" value. Yes, when you see wrong happening and you turn the other way instead of confronting it head-on (or if you tell lies in place of the truth) : [b]YOU HAVE A LOW MORAL VALUE
. Theres a reason why Politicians here resign when caught in a seemingly, "harmless", lie. As a leader, you have to be of impeccable moral character.

The figures are there for all to see. Nigeria will get worse as time goes on. And if this generation knows whats good for them, theyd do themselves a lot of good to confront their destiny now, rather than later.

I've said my piece.

Try to be less confrontational as you might lose your message in the post but I do agree with your message 100%. People fail to realize who the real enemies are!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Wallie(m): 9:42pm On Feb 13, 2012
dmainboss:

All which people? Do you think a subset of Lagos or even the entire Lagos represents Nigeria? How many people in Lagos are rich and how many people are in Nigeria? Nigeria has 167 million people and about 15 million live in Lagos. How many of those 15 million people earn an income? Once you find the number of income earners, how many of them buy new cars and build houses as you claim and what percentage of the Nigerian population do they represent?

Here’s a quick survey:

Count the total number of people that you know in Nigeria including your neighbors and co-workers. How many of them built their own house and drive a new car? How many of them earn more than NGN 113,000 per year (exclude people that live off someone else)? What’s the percentage of those that earn over NGN 113k when compared to the total number of people that you know?

Here’s a factoid:

A family of seven that earns NGN 500,000 per annum will survive on less than 2 dollars a day!

Each person will need $2 X 356 days X 160 conversion rate = NGN 113,920. Since there are 7 members in the family (father, mother and five children), the breadwinner of the family will need to earn more than NGN 797,440 per annum to survive on more than $2 per day!

How many of you earn that much money?
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by occam(m): 9:49pm On Feb 13, 2012
The numbers aren’t surprising, since Nigeria is currently ranked #152 out of 183 countries in the Human Development Index – a much more reflection of a nation’s wealth than GDP.

That the trend is set to continue is deeply troubling amidst all the persistent noise on double digit economic growth by the Jonathan administration.

Those still doubting the $1 or $2 do not understand the issue. Consider a household of six in Nigeria: how many of them earn more than N1, 000 per day or N28, 000 per month? Also remember that household sizes for the poorer segments are very larger, reaching up to nine or more.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Dainfamous: 9:50pm On Feb 13, 2012
Men the poverty in that country is alarming,
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Feb 13, 2012
occam:

The numbers aren’t surprising, since Nigeria is currently ranked #152 out of 183 countries in the Human Development Index – a much more reflection of a nation’s wealth than GDP.

That the trend is set to continue is deeply troubling amidst all the persistent noise on double digit economic growth by the Jonathan administration.

Those still doubting the $1 or $2 do not understand the issue. Consider a household of six in Nigeria: how many of them earn more than N1, 000 per day or N28, 000 per month? Also remember that household sizes for the poorer segments are very larger, reaching up to nine or more.

I believe the number of children per woman in Nigeria is put at about 4 or 5. And it is usually worst with the poor.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
Each time I see something that works here, I always wonder why it can't work back home. Most of the things these oyibo people do is not rocket science. It just takes leadership, determination, commitment to community and love to do things without being selfish. My conclusion is this: Nigeria needs to organize themselves into zones. Each zone should harness their resources, use it to develop their communities and contribute to the federal purse. If oil is in bayelsa and rivers, let them manage their oil but they will contribute a certain percentage to the national purse. if coal is in Enugu, let them mine their coal, create jobs and also contribute to the national purse, etc. Before you know it, jobs will be created and everyone will start living well. But no, our leaders (and even the common man) are so greedy that it's so hard. Nigeria has so many opportunities but we just cant let go of oil to maximize those opportunities.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Feb 13, 2012
pash4naija:

Each time I see something that works here, I always wonder why it can't work back home. Most of the things these oyibo people do is not rocket science. It just takes leadership, determination, commitment to community and love to do things without being selfish. My conclusion is this: Nigeria needs to organize themselves into zones. Each zone should harness their resources, use it to develop their communities and contribute to the federal purse. If oil is in bayelsa and rivers, let them manage their oil but they will contribute a certain percentage to the national purse. if coal is in Enugu, let them mine their coal, create jobs and also contribute to the national purse, etc. Before you know it, jobs will be created and everyone will start living well. But no, our leaders (and even the common man) are so greedy that it's so hard. Nigeria has so many opportunities but we just cant let go of oil to maximize those opportunities.

Recipe for more wahala!!! When are you folks going to get it into your thick heads that all this zoning, dividing, cutting away is the problem and reason why Nigerians are not united in any cause??

It breaks my heart everytime I meet a Nigerian here who pretends to understand the problem but goes right ahead to suggest a solution that injects more division into an already divided and chaotic situation. Look around you. How much of that division you are proposing more of for Nigeria do you see there?
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by occam(m): 10:13pm On Feb 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I believe the number of children per woman in Nigeria is put at about 4 or 5. And it is usually worst with the poor.

And with polygamous households each wife may have 4 kids bringing household size to more than12; hence the vicious cycle of poverty.

The usual solution out of this poverty trap is to send some of the kids to well off relatives. The relative now has more mouth to feed with same income (I digress, this should be another topic)
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
Wallie:

Try to be less confrontational as you might lose your message in the post but I do agree with your message 100%. People fail to realize who the real enemies are!

Dude, if only you were here with me to see the original draft of that post; the final version which I posted above reads like Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare.

I appreciate your advice, but the truth is (just like youve advised me to do) Nigerians would rather be "Less Confrontational". When is the truth going to be told? When are people going to finally decide to stand up for what is right? Nigerians are like Ostriches--- always hiding from reality.

If slapping the sense into them is what is needed then thats what needs to be done. Miraculously, theyve defied every method known to man.

Infact, the story is starting to bore me. Im getting sick of it 'cause the self-deciet is getting nauseating.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by miky(m): 10:30pm On Feb 13, 2012
i thought it was 90 percent poverty and 10 percent elite?? so why the surprise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cabinet Shakeup Looms In Lagos State / EXCLUSIVE: Buhari To Vie For ECOWAS Chairmanship / West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.