Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,400 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% (9310 Views)

Are You Part Of The 61% Approval Of President Jonathan's performance? / 61% Of Nigerians Approve Pres Jonathan’s Performance / The List Of Nigerian Looters Who Kept All Of Us In Poverty! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Wallie(m): 10:38pm On Feb 13, 2012
kingoflag:

Dude, if only you were here with me to see the original draft of that post; the final version which I posted above reads like Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare.

I appreciate your advice, but the truth is (just like youve advised me to do) Nigerians would rather be "Less Confrontational". When is the truth going to be told? When are people going to finally decide to stand up for what is right? Nigerians are like Ostriches--- always hiding from reality.

If slapping the sense into them is what is needed then thats what needs to be done. Miraculously, theyve defied every method known to man.

Infact, the story is starting to bore me. Im getting sick of it 'cause the self-deciet is getting nauseating.
lol, I constantly find myself biting my tongue also! :-)
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Recipe for more wahala!!! When are you folks going to get it into your thick heads that all this zoning, dividing, cutting away is the problem and reason why Nigerians are not united in any cause??

It breaks my heart everytime I meet a Nigerian here who pretends to understand the problem but goes right ahead to suggest a solution that injects more division into an already divided and chaotic situation. Look around you. How much of that division you are proposing more of for Nigeria do you see there?

Instead of sitting and criticizing maybe you should also get it into your thick head to suggest a solution that will actually work. No one is saying Nigeria should divide. We are already divided based on the tribalism I see on NL everyday and the one I see here in Naija whether you like it or not.

Fyi, I do not 'pretend' to understand the problem. I actually UNDERSTAND the problem. Zoning doesn't make it not to be a one Nigeria. It just makes governing better and should make all these lazy leaders relying on oil to work to make their communities better. Enough said. I'm not going to reply you on this again.
And next time learn to speak without throwing insults. It doesn't show that you are intelligent. Intelligent people do not need to throw insults to get their points across. And you do not need to contribute to this forum by replying others comments. You can as well do that independently, stating your own views.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 11:49pm On Feb 13, 2012
pash4naija:

Instead of sitting and criticizing maybe you should also get it into your thick head to suggest a solution that will actually work. No one is saying Nigeria should divide. We are already divided based on the tribalism I see on NL everyday and the one I see here in Naija whether you like it or not.

Fyi, I do not 'pretend' to understand the problem. I actually UNDERSTAND the problem. Zoning doesn't make it not to be a one Nigeria. It just makes governing better and should make all these lazy leaders relying on oil to work to make their communities better. Enough said. I'm not going to reply you on this again.
And next time learn to speak without throwing insults. It doesn't show that you are intelligent. Intelligent people do not need to throw insults to get their points across. And you do not need to contribute to this forum by replying others comments. You can as well do that independently, stating your own views.

See gomoro!!! Profer solutions for what?? Na my fault folks like you continue to essentially DENY every common sense solution right in front of your noses so you can continue to preach DIVISION??

Profering solutions that institute more division makes it obvious that you do not see the problem.  How much more ZONING do we need in a country where peoples have been divided along so many lines it is hard to keep up.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by ektbear: 12:03am On Feb 14, 2012
More info here: http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/latestRelease/b410c26c2921c18a6839baebc9b1428fa98fa36a.pdf

Zone v. zone and state v. state comparisons there also.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by emiye(m): 12:47am On Feb 14, 2012
THE NIGERIA POVERTY PROFILE 2010 REPORT
PRESS BRIEFING BY THE STATISTICIAN-GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION/CHIEF EXECUTIVE
OFFICER, NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS, DR. YEMI KALE HELD AT THE CONFERENCE
ROOM, 5TH FLOOR, NBS HEADQUARTERS, CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT, ABUJA ON
MONDAY, 13TH FEBRUARY, 2012.

1. PROTOCOL

PREAMBLE

2. It is with great pleasure that I present to you today, highlights of the “Nigeria Poverty
Profile Report 2010”, a report which emerged from the recently concluded Harmonised
Nigeria Living Standard Survey (HNLSS) conducted by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS)
with support from the World Bank, DFID (UK) and UNICEF.

3. As part of its functions to produce statistics for evidence-based policy-making and
as the authoritative source and custodian of all official statistics, NBS periodically conducts
the Harmonized Nigeria Living Standard Survey which is used, amongst other things, to
determine poverty and inequality trends in Nigeria. The data collected by NBS through our
regular surveys and via our system of administrative statistics around the country present a
vital source of evidence, as they provide us with clear, objective, numerical data on all
aspects of our lives and the state of our country. NBS has presence in every state of the
federation with staff who collect data on various socio economic indicators on a regular
basis to fulfill our mandate. This way we are able to monitor various trends across the
country at a disaggregated level. To demonstrate that NBS remains committed to
improving statistical development in Nigeria, the institutional capacity to deliver on its
mandate is being strengthened regularly with increased levels of collaboration between
NBS and our partners in the public and private sectors, including the press.

4. In recognition of the fact that it is impossible, given limited financial resources, to
collect data on every area of life, we are ensuring that the data collected by NBS is
demand-driven and user-specific. Concomitantly, we are expanding our scope to include
more aspects of socio-economic life, deepening our analytical competence and
NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 2
enhancing the professionalism of staff. A recent innovation is to announce, in advance,
the expected dates of publication of survey results and data releases, which can be found
on the official website. For example, a visit to our website at www.nigerianstat.gov.ng
would reveal that we plan to publish inflation data for January 2012, the first since the
partial removal of fuel subsidy, next Monday. The planned dates of release for other types
of data can be found on the website.

5. As you may have observed our data releases have been mixed: some positive and
others negative. We would therefore continue to publish accurate and timely data
regardless of whether it is positive or negative because the information we provide is useful
as a guide for government policy, business investors, as well as a veritable tool for the
public to evaluate the performance of government and the progress of our society in the
interest of growth and development in Nigeria.

PART I:
OVERVIEW OF THE HNLSS 2009/2010 SURVEY

6. Nigeria’s efforts at monitoring and evaluation of national programmes and policies
started with the analysis of a series of National Consumer Expenditure Surveys which led to
the assessment of poverty in Nigeria over a period of sixteen years from 1980 – 1996, and
the publication of the report on poverty trend in Nigeria in 1999.

7. The Harmonized Nigeria Living Standard Survey (HNLSS) 2009/2010 is an enlarged
scope of previous National Consumer Surveys and also a follow-up to the Nigeria Living
Standard Survey (NLSS) 2003/2004. The scope of the HNLSS 2009/2010 was enlarged to
include: Demography; Health; and Fertility behaviour, Education and Skills/Training;
Employment and Time-use; Housing and Housing Condition; Social Capital, Agriculture;
Household Income & consumption, and Expenditure. Two statistical reports (Nigeria Living
Standard Survey Report 2010 and the Poverty profile of 2010 will be produced to assist
various levels of government to evaluate and monitor their social and economic
programmes.

OBJECTIVES, JUSTIFICATION, SCOPE AND COVERAGE OF THE SURVEY

8. In a broad sense, the concern of the study was to generate detailed, multi-sector
and policy relevant data using welfare and expenditure approaches. More specifically,
NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 3
the HNLSS was aimed at providing information on the conditions and trends of poverty,
households’ income & consumption expenditure, and unemployment at a greater level of
disaggregation. It was also to provide valid and reliable data for the development of
effective intervention and provision of important tools for designing, implementing and
monitoring of economic growth and poverty reduction.

9. It is widely acknowledged that data needed to drive government anti-poverty
programmes is often not available or inadequate at such disaggregated levels as to inform
policymakers and business decisions takers. Therefore, the HNLSS is a worthwhile effort
because the information gathered would generally aid decision makers in the formulation
of economic and social policies, by identifying target groups for government intervention.

METHODOLOGY AND SAMPLE DESIGN

10. The HNLSS used four different approaches in the computation of poverty
indicators:
i) Relative Poverty Measurement: Relative poverty is defined by reference to the living
standards of majority in a given society and separates the poor from the non-poor.
Households with expenditure greater than two-thirds of the Total Household Per Capita
expenditure are NON-POOR whereas those below it are POOR. Further desegregation
showed that households with less than one-third of total Household Per Capita expenditure
are CORE-POOR (EXTREME POOR) while those Households greater than one-third of total
expenditure but less than two-thirds of the total expenditure are MODERATE POOR.
Accordingly, the poor category is sub-divided into those in extreme poverty and those in
moderate poverty, where extreme poverty is more severe than moderate poverty. Those in
moderate poverty constitute a greater portion of the growing middle class in Nigeria who
are at the point of crossing over to the non-poor category. Similarly, the non-poor is divided
into the fairly rich and the very rich.

iii.) Absolute poverty measurement approach: Here, Poverty is defined in terms of the
minimal requirements necessary to afford minimal standards of food, clothing, healthcare
and shelter. This method considers both food expenditure and non- food expenditure using
the per capita expenditure approach. This method is otherwise known as Food Energy
Intake measure of poverty. First you obtain the food basket of the poorest 40 percent of
NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 4
the population. Then compute the food expenditure that can give 3000 calorie per day
based on the national food basket for the poorest 40 percent.

iii. Dollar per day measurement approach: refers to the World Bank’s Purchasing Power
Parity (PPP) index, which defines poverty as the proportion of those living on less than US$1
per day poverty line.

iv.) Subjective Poverty Measurement approach: is based on self-assessment and
“sentiments” from respondents interviewed. Unlike the other three statistical measurements
of poverty, it considers the respondents’ opinion on whether or not they consider
themselves to be poor.

11. In addition, NBS computes the Gini Coefficient as a measure of inequality and
income distribution in a country. The Gini-coefficient is a number between 0 and 1, where 0
corresponds with perfect equality (in which case everyone earns the same income); and 1
corresponds with perfect inequality (where only one person earns all the income and all
others have zero income).
12. Different countries use any one or more of these measures to calculate poverty.
NBS however adopts the relative poverty method as Nigeria’s official measure of poverty.

PART II:
HNLSS 2010 SURVEY RESULTS

13. The 26-page report provides details of the conditions of poverty and income
distribution across the country, as well as technical notes regarding the various definitions
and methodologies employed for the survey. The full report can be found on our website
later this afternoon. The attached tables, however, provide detailed breakdown of the
survey results. The major findings from the survey are as follows:

i. Relative poverty is defined by reference to the living standards of majority in a given
society. In 2004, Nigeria’s relative poverty measurement stood at 54.4%, but
increased to 69% (or 112,518,507 Nigerians) in 2010. The North-West and North-East
geo-political zones recorded the highest poverty rates in the country with 77.7% and
76.3% respectively in 2010, while the South-West geo-political zone recorded the
lowest at 59.1%. Among States, Sokoto had the highest poverty rate at 86.4% while
Niger had the lowest at 43.6% in the year under review.
NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 5

ii. Absolute Poverty is defined in terms of the minimal requirements necessary to afford
minimal standards of food, clothing, healthcare and shelter. Using this measure,
54.7% of Nigerians were living in poverty in 2004 but this increased to 60.9% (or
99,284,512 Nigerians) in 2010. Among the geo-political zones, the North-West and
North-East recorded the highest rates at 70% and 69% respectively, while the South-
West had the least at 49.8%. At the State level, Sokoto had the highest at 81.2%
while Niger had the least at 33.8% during the review period.

iii. The-Dollar-per-day measure refers to the proportion of those living on less than US$1
per day poverty line. Applying this approach, 51.6% of Nigerians were living below
US$1 per day in 2004, but this increased to 61.2% in 2010. Although the World Bank
standard is now US$1.25, the old reference of US$1 was the standard used in Nigeria
at the time that the survey was conducted. The North-West geo-political zone
recorded the highest percentage at 70.4%, while the South-West geo-political zone
had the least at 50.1%. Sokoto had the highest rate among States at 81.9%, while
Niger had the least at 33.9%.

iv. Subjective Poverty is based on self-assessment and “sentiments” from respondents.
In this regard, 75.5% of Nigerians considered themselves to be poor in 2004, and in
2010 the number went up to 93.9%. FCT recorded the most number of people who
considered themselves to be poor at 97.9%. Kaduna recorded the least number of
people who considered themselves poor at 90.5%.

v. 2011 Poverty level estimates: For completeness and to guide policy, NBS has also
forecast the poverty rate for 2011 using various economic models. It is important to
stress at this point that these estimates are constrained by the assumption that the
status quo in 2010 was maintained in 2011. Accordingly, it ignores the potential
positive impact various poverty alleviation strategies implemented since 2011 may
have had on reversing the poverty trend. This will become clearer once the 2011
Annual Socio-Economic Survey is completed later in the year. Thus, using the
relative, absolute and dollar-per-day poverty measures, NBS estimates that poverty
may have further risen slightly to about 71.5%, 61.9% and 62.8% respectively in 2011.

vi. Income inequality: The survey suggests rising income inequality in the country as
measured by the Gini-coefficient. By this measure, income inequality rose from 0.429
in 2004 to 0.447 in 2010, indicating greater income inequality during the period.
NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 6

vii. Consumption Expenditure Distribution: Lastly, analysis of consumption expenditure
distribution indicates that the top 10% income earners was responsible for about
43% of total consumption expenditure, the top 20% was responsible for about 59% of
total consumption expenditure while the top 40% was responsible for about 80% of
total consumption expenditure in the year under review.
FURTHER ANALYSIS OF RELATIVE POVERTY

14. As earlier stated, NBS adopts the relative poverty measurement for monitoring
poverty trends in the country. It remains a paradox however, that despite the fact that the
Nigerian economy is growing, the proportion of Nigerians living in poverty is increasing
every year, although it declined between 1985 and 1992, and between 1996 and 2004.
Accordingly it is important to take a closer look at poverty trends using this approach.
Distributing the population into extremely poor, moderately poor and non-poor, the
proportion of the extremely poor increased from 6.2 percent in 1980 to 29.3 percent in 1996
and then came down to 22.0 percent in 2004 before reaching 38.7% in 2010. For the
moderately poor, the picture was quite different as the proportion rose between 1980 and
1985 from 21.0 percent to 34.2 percent. It went down between 1996 and 2004, from 36.3
percent to 32.4 percent, and even further in 2010 to 30.3 percent. On the other hand, the
proportion of non-poor was much higher in the country in 1980 (72.8 percent) compared to
1992 (57.3 percent). It dropped significantly in 1996 to 34.4percent, falling further in 2010 to
31 percent.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by doofanc: 1:58am On Feb 14, 2012
Wallie:

All which people? Do you think a subset of Lagos or even the entire Lagos represents Nigeria? How many people in Lagos are rich and how many people are in Nigeria? Nigeria has 167 million people and about 15 million live in Lagos. How many of those 15 million people earn an income? Once you find the number of income earners, how many of them buy new cars and build houses as you claim and what percentage of the Nigerian population do they represent?

Here’s a quick survey:

Count the total number of people that you know in Nigeria including your neighbors and co-workers. How many of them built their own house and drive a new car? How many of them earn more than NGN 113,000 per year (exclude people that live off someone else)? What’s the percentage of those that earn over NGN 113k when compared to the total number of people that you know?

Here’s a factoid:

A family of seven that earns NGN 500,000 per annum will survive on less than 2 dollars a day!

Each person will need $2 X 356 days X 160 conversion rate = NGN 113,920. Since there are 7 members in the family (father, mother and five children), the breadwinner of the family will need to earn more than NGN 797,440 per annum to survive on more than $2 per day!

How many of you earn that much money?

this is excellent analysis. I think the mistake we make is to think only of INCOME EARNERS, and not all Nigerians, old or young, working or not working. This leads to the belief that becos the people are buying cars then the poverty figure can't be right.

However, I need clarification on something. Say a family of 5 whose total income just places them on the borderline now gets a new member: the birth of a baby. Will the baby's arrival be enough to plunge the entire family below the line, since the baby is obviouly not earning any money, and based on your explanation above, the total income (which for this purpose is unchanged) will be divided by the number of heads in the household? Is that new baby expected to living above $1/day?
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by moshoodn(m): 6:05am On Feb 14, 2012
thats what happens when you lose focus. . .
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 6:20am On Feb 14, 2012
doofanc:

this is excellent analysis. I think the mistake we make is to think only of INCOME EARNERS, and not all Nigerians, old or young, working or not working. This leads to the belief that becos the people are buying cars then the poverty figure can't be right.

However, I need clarification on something. Say a family of 5 whose total income just places them on the borderline now gets a new member: the birth of a baby. Will the baby's arrival be enough to plunge the entire family below the line, since the baby is obviouly not earning any money, and based on your explanation above, the total income (which for this purpose is unchanged) will be divided by the number of heads in the household? Is that new baby expected to living above $1/day?

I am not sure if this one na joke! Or should I be freaking out instead? How can someone over 18 years of age ask that kind of question? What do you use to purchase baby food and babyclothing? stones? What do you pay hospital bills, and medicine with? okute? Or in your home na for tree una dey hang babies make them take care of themselves abi wetin?
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by trueword: 6:23am On Feb 14, 2012
na wa o. dis nigeria sef. i no dey doubt these figures.  we just have heartless people at too many places in govt.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by begwong: 6:28am On Feb 14, 2012
Dont worry,by the time the proceeds of the fuel subsidy is injected into the economy this statistics go change one time.Breath of fresh air still in the air to be inhaled
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by ektbear: 6:47am On Feb 14, 2012
Hrm. I suppose being 1st of a bad lot isn't very much to hang your hat on.

I suppose that poverty will remain high in the SW and Nigeria more generally as long as there is no electricity and hence no jobs.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by racino: 11:29am On Feb 14, 2012
I think the percentage is slightly exaggerated, but frankly speaking Nigerians are extremely poor, especially when considering the very low purchasing value of our national currency. Take a country like Saudi Arabia, with better infrastructure and GDP per capita five times higher than ours yet cost of living there is by far cheaper than Nigeria. With ten riyals, about 400 naira, you can have a good meal in a standard restaurant in Jeddah. You can have a good air-conditioned hotel room in the heart of Riyadh with just 70 riyals, about 3000 naira. So even the so called middle class are just throwing around thousands of naira without getting any commensurate value for their money and therefore their lifestyle is not any better.
Some northern Nigerian cities look as if they’ve just been dug out of the ground. You enter a house and the most valuable furniture is an old tattered mat which cannot sell for fifty naira! Actually the rate of poverty I’ve seen there is the worst I’ve seen any where even in Africa.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:56am On Feb 14, 2012
Those stats are radically different from the CBN stats published under Soludo which gave a more realistic picture. I don't believe those statistics for a second.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Whizkay(m): 12:22pm On Feb 14, 2012
61% ! Dis z a cooked figure i tell u.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:56pm On Feb 14, 2012
ekt_bear:

Hrm. I suppose being 1st of a bad lot isn't very much to hang your hat on.

I suppose that poverty will remain high in the SW and Nigeria more generally as long as there is no electricity and hence no jobs.
CBN, UNDP and NAPEP stats have the SW FAR behind the SE and SS. Yet, I'm somehow supposed to believe stats that has several Northern states above Anambra grin

Those stats are totally phony. Anyone who's travelled around knows there are several oddities and incongruities there.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by ektbear: 1:18pm On Feb 14, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

CBN, UNDP and NAPEP stats have the SW FAR behind the SE and SS. Yet, I'm somehow supposed to believe stats that has several Northern states above Anambra grin

Those stats are totally phony. Anyone who's travelled around knows there are several oddities and incongruities there.

Links (or some other reference)?
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Ohaneze1: 1:37pm On Feb 14, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

Lest you forget the Nigeria Bureau Stats present Director General is a Yoruba man, so how on earth do you expect otherwise knowing fully well the nature of Yorubas more especially in sensitive matters like this.

It is on record by CBN, UNDP and even our own NAPEP that SE is the region with least poverty rate followed by SS and others maybe NC, SW, NE, NW as the case maybe.

And Anambra has consistently remained the least poverty state in Nigeria going by the great deal of enterprise/civil economic activities going on in the state, so how come states that does not do anything except civil service and funds from Federation acct out-beat it.

Its really sad that NBS will come down so low with such misleading and phony outrageous figures just to score some cheap economic point which does not translate to reality. Well he can publish all he likes, but its a disservice to his own people who are really suffering in the biting harsh economic poverty than he has presented here. Really really absurd.  grin grin
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Feb 14, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

Those stats are radically different from the CBN stats published under Soludo which gave a more realistic picture. I don't believe those statistics for a second.

Oh! you mean when unemployment rate in Nigeria was set at near 5.8% and the inflation was less than 10%?? Na that time the picture dey more realistic? Abi?  I guess Yar adua did a good job then since those numbers show him to be the best president considering before then, the numbers we were getting from other sources were significantly higher than what out government later on started reporting.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Obi1kenobi(m): 4:03pm On Feb 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Oh! you mean when unemployment rate in Nigeria was set at near 5.8% and the inflation was less than 10%?? Na that time the picture dey more realistic? Abi?  I guess Yar adua did a good job then since those numbers show him to be the best president considering before then, the numbers we were getting from other sources were significantly higher than what out government later on started reporting.
You have it completely wrong. In Soludo's stats (which correlated with NAPEP's independent stats), the North had a FAR higher poverty rate than these stats portray (states like Jigawa and Yobe were as high as 95%). The SW were well ahead of the the North but significantly behind the SS/SE and states like Anambra, Bayelsa and Abia who were consistently highly rated on several indices which anyone conversant with those states would agree with.

It's beyond a joke to tell me states like Niger have a lower poverty rate than Anambra and anyone who's been there would agree.

It's a shame I can't post links cos I'm using an antiquated browser on a phone to post but I'll fetch the links when I get on my laptop. You could also search it urself.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by adconline(m): 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2012
Folks please read the NBS stats: according to The Nation, 10% of top income earners in Nigeria spend about 48% of our national spending while about 20% of top income earners sustain Naija economy with 80% spending. It simply means that 2 of out 10 Nigerians are richer than the whole country put together.

Nigeria is a poor country and there is no way out!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by occam(m): 4:22pm On Feb 14, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

You have it completely wrong. In Soludo's stats (which correlated with NAPEP's independent stats), the North had a  FAR higher poverty rate than these stats portray (states like Jigawa and Yobe were as high as 95%). The SW were well ahead of the the North but significantly behind the SS/SE and states like Anambra, Bayelsa and Abia who were consistently highly rated on several indices which anyone conversant with those states would agree with.

It's beyond a joke to tell me states like Niger have a lower poverty rate than Anambra and anyone who's been there would agree.

It's a shame I can't post links cos I'm using an antiquated browser on a phone to post but I'll fetch the links when I get on my laptop. You could also search it urself.

Yes, I also expected poverty rate in Niger to be higher than Anambra; I'm puzzled by this. Could proximity to the FCT have a positive impact on Niger state economy?
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by htajz: 4:39pm On Feb 14, 2012
this is trash statistic, what is wrong with this people, CBN, NAPEP and UN statistics is totally different from this , they should stop confusing us, how can the SW be ahead of SS ? is it not the same SW i did my NYSC which was the first time i actually saw what poverty really is thats apart from other trips to northern states. secondly i dont believe the poverty rate is up to 90 percent at least not in the south , people you even consider poor spend lots of money daily from transport to feeding to school fees to house rent, recharge cards etc, but i do believe starndard of living is low(no light ,poor sanitaction poor security etc) but that does not really mean being poor .
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by htajz: 4:46pm On Feb 14, 2012
occam:

Yes, I also expected poverty rate in Niger to be higher than Anambra; I'm puzzled by this. Could proximity to the FCT have a positive impact on Niger state economy?

how can that be so when abuja itself recorded higher poverty rate than niger. this statistics is called yoruba abracadabra. it just doesnt make sense at all. guess NAPEP,CBN and UN statistics really got to them so they had to quickly do something about their image. its on record that bayelsa and anambra have always had the least poverty rate in nigeria and we know why , bayelsa have the smallest population and the largest federal allocation while anambra , of course we dont need to be told have probably the largest market in west africa which i believe can single handedly maintain their poplulation.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 14, 2012
htajz:

this is trash statistic, what is wrong with this people, CBN, NAPEP and UN statistics is totally different from this , they should stop confusing us, how can the SW be  ahead of SS ? is it not the same SW i did my NYSC which was the first time[b] i actually saw what poverty really is [/b]thats[b] apart from other trips to northern states[/b]. secondly[b] i dont believe the poverty rate is up to 90 percent at  least not in the south [/b], people you even consider poor spend lots of money daily from transport to feeding to school fees to house rent, recharge cards etc, but i do believe starndard of living is low(no light ,poor sanitaction poor security etc) but that does not really mean being poor .

Lmao.

Upon all the examples and counter examples wey dem give, se una see wetin this one still come up with and why? Gawd!!! undecided

NYSC is like a compulsory pseudo-Military Service that University Graduates in Nigeria must enlist in once out of College, right?

So, the writer of the above can claim to be a University Graduate. ROFLMAO. Wow. . . .

Now, I see why Kobojunkie sounds irritated half the time. loool. I just cant stop laughing. grin
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 14, 2012
htajz:

how can that be so when abuja itself recorded higher poverty rate than niger. this statistics is called[b] yoruba abracadabra.[/b] it just doesnt make sense at all. guess NAPEP,CBN and UN statistics really got to them so they had to quickly do something about their image. its on record that[b] bayelsa and anambra [/b]have always had the least poverty rate in nigeria and we know why , bayelsa have the smallest population and the largest federal allocation while anambra , of course we dont need to be told have probably the largest market in west africa which i believe can single handedly maintain their poplulation.

ROFLMAO and to top it off, hes clearly a bigot too. . . which should explain the clouded reasoning.

Lmaooo , look "Explanation". hahahahaha. Chei, Naija is finished!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Feb 14, 2012
kingoflag:

Lmao.

Upon all the examples and counter examples wey dem give, se una see wetin this one still come up with and why? Gawd!!! undecided

NYSC is like a compulsory pseudo-Military Service that University Graduates in Nigeria must enlist in once out of College, right?

So, the writer of the above too can claim to be a University Graduate. ROFLMAO. Wow. . . .

[size=13pt]Now, I see why Kobojunkie sounds irritated half the time. loool. I just cant stop laughing.[/size] grin

leave me alone ooo . . . . .
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Feb 14, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

You have it completely wrong. In Soludo's stats (which correlated with NAPEP's independent stats), the North had a FAR higher poverty rate than these stats portray (states like Jigawa and Yobe were as high as 95%). The SW were well ahead of the the North but significantly behind the SS/SE and states like Anambra, Bayelsa and Abia who were consistently highly rated on several indices which anyone conversant with those states would agree with.

First and foremost, Soludo MADE NO STATS. . . . . the NBS is not under the control of Soludo, neither does he have any authority over the reporting of that agency. If you have not figured out that joke by now, then it is sure are just here to ramble for the sake of it.

Secondly, the stats showing that some parts of the north were poorer can be refined to show a clearer picture, especially if there have been significant changes. Just as the picture on unemployment went from 5.8% to 20% in less than a year, to reflect figures more closer to reality, you can also have the stats on poverty change in the same way. It happens and ought to be encouraged so we get a better idea of our reality.

Your presumptions that Anambra, Bayelsa and Abia are ahead speaks volumes of how removed you are from reality. What, apart from the numbers you attribute to Soludo leads you to believe that poverty is lowest in Anambra, Bayelsa and Abia? Is n't it the same source now telling you that the old picture is no longer valid? Why are you now fighting the new reality? Where are your personal numbers to show this?

Obi1kenobi:

I get the sense that you don't even care that there are poor. You are more concerned about having your chosen state beat other states in one way or another. So, on that note, I am gonna conclude this is a lost cause and move on now . . . . .
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by htajz: 6:21pm On Feb 14, 2012
kingoflag:

Lmao.

So, the writer of the above can claim to be a University Graduate. ROFLMAO. Wow. . . .

Now, I see why Kobojunkie sounds irritated half the time. loool. I just cant stop laughing. grin

and how did they arrive at thiers , any sane person that have travelled round the country obviously know the difference just as if you travel to developed countries you dont need statistics to tell you they are doing better.
am sorry for most of you that live abroad that keep swallowing everything dished out to you ,this yoruba propaganda did not start today , from literacy to media to politics now poverty they alway try to cook up unrealistic figures to make them look better than others while ignoring the reality until they are busted  , anyway believe what you like i will go with NAPEP they are the only agency that actually go from house to house , state to state ,city to cityand where specifically setup by federal government for that not some people that stay in their office and cook up figures the same way they cook up population figures in various states.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Nigerd(m): 6:47pm On Feb 14, 2012
@ With almost all household with I pass my neighbour Generator!!!
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Feb 14, 2012
^^^ Almost all where?? Please provide us with some numbers to back up these claims or put a sock in it. What you have there is just as absurd as anyone coming in to claim that All Americans have a computer and internet access. 

Many of this generation need to learn to separate their formed delusions/ideas they have chosen to create in their heads of that around them, from reality.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by htajz: 6:51pm On Feb 14, 2012
Niger_d:

@ With almost all household with I pass my neighbour Generator!!!

u dey mind them , here in ph everybody get generator both poor and rich and fuel it everyday even with the high cost of fuel  in this part of the country ,i wonder. its time to stop believing lies, my grandmother in the village , someone from  so called developed country might see her and consider her as poor but she is not lacking anything she just choose to be that way.
Re: Nigerians Living In Poverty Rise To Nearly 61% by htajz: 7:01pm On Feb 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Almost all where?? Please provide us with some numbers to back up these claims or put a sock in it. What you have there is just as absurd as anyone coming in to claim that All Americans have a computer and internet access. 

Many of this generation need to learn to separate their formed delusions/ideas they have chosen to create in their heads of that around them, from reality.
go and sit down that is wh this country needs to seperate , enough of cooke up lies and propaganda . starndard of living is low in terms of security , electircity good school etc but people are not dat poor at least in the south. most people that commit crime in name of poverty are actually greedy and not poor but almost all nigerian believe they are poor cus they have been told several times that they are thats why they all want to run away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: Senate Approves N234.51bn For INEC / Edo North: Oshiomhole Campaigns In Jattu (Video) / Cabinet Shakeup Looms In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.