Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,260 members, 7,811,728 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible (4183 Views)

Importance Of Easy Taxi App During Events.. Read More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 13, 2012
Hi nairalanders, i find it funny dat people still block roads during occasions deze dais, I haven't been out of d country, but i have a feeling such things shouldn't be allowed. If u don't hAve enought space for an occassion, den a hall culd be paid for, NairAlanders,
What do u guys think about this??
Can it be justified in any sense??
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by ARareGem(f): 7:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
Absolutely not. But as long as we are in Naija, anything goes.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
It is sheer rubbish. Events should be held in halls or open-field. In fact you should not organise any event at your big back-yard because you'll disturb other people.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by mpmp: 7:34pm On Feb 13, 2012
"Block road" is even good.

How about "block street".

In Lagos, streets are blocked when someone in the higher ups is doing something / celebrating whatever. Worse is if the celebrant is a road-safety boss. I once counted over 25-road safety pickup-trucks, besides cars of visitors, parked on either end of a whole street, blocking entrance and exit, somewhere at Iyana Ipaja area, last yr 2011. In fact, they turned the whole street into a car park. By the time I made enquiry, they said, the daughter of a road safety Oga was doing introduction.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Afam4eva(m): 7:35pm On Feb 13, 2012
This is Nigeria where anything and everything goes. I don't see why someone should block a road that is meant for everybody in the name owambe. So many things are wrong with this countries but this problem is secondary. There are more pressing issues to take care of.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by ememonl(m): 7:44pm On Feb 13, 2012
Off course it is completly senseless and inconsiderate of the rights of other road users.

But again this is Nigeria Where any thing goes. Until we rid ourselves of curruption such selfish activities will not cease.

Mean while it is raining heavily in my area in Abuja right now. Sweetly Un-believable grin grin grin

http://5slate..com/2012/02/i-want-to-marry-my-mother-zimbabwean.html
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by stagger: 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2012
I am sure the Ikwerres and Yorubas should be able to explain better to use why they do such things. Of course they will tell you that the road passes through their village; what can you do?

Afterall, no be police dey give them clearance to block the roads? Many policemen will follow the Naira note to their graves.

Terrible things we see in Nigeria!
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by ARareGem(f): 7:50pm On Feb 13, 2012
ememonl:

Off course it is completly senseless and inconsiderate of the rights of other road users.

But again this is Nigeria Where any thing goes. Until we rid ourselves of curruption such selfish activities will not cease.

Mean while it is raining heavily in my area in Abuja right now. Sweetly Un-believable grin grin grin

http://5slate..com/2012/02/i-want-to-marry-my-mother-zimbabwean.html

^^I went to that blog. What a shocking news! Lord have mercy shocked
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 13, 2012
Its a reflection of our general state of lawlessness, as has been said. However, I disagree with those who posit that it is a minor issue, because in issues of social change, nothing is minor.

We need a complete revamp of our value system which will affect the way we do things, including the seemingly "secondary" things like this.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by femmy2010(m): 8:10pm On Feb 13, 2012
It can never be justified and i vote no to such.
Under no guise should a public road be cut of for an OWAMBE.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by FEMARY1: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
highly unjustified

Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Agimor(m): 9:11pm On Feb 13, 2012
It's barbaric such things don't occure in abroad.9ja need to upgrade.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by jimctu: 9:23pm On Feb 13, 2012
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by KayDee4: 9:57pm On Feb 13, 2012
Do they still do it ?  shocked shocked

Fashola banned it in Lagos and threatened to arrest both guests and hosts of any such 'road blocking' events.

I remember having to drive almost to Lagos-Ibadan exp way once because the only road i knew to my destination was blocked in the name of 'o wa mbe'.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by CarlosVent(m): 10:46pm On Feb 13, 2012
I have blocked Road and I tell you its sweet to do it.
Try it one day and see but if your not highly connected never do it.

Also that's why we are in Nigeria. Anything goes good, painful and bad.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 13, 2012
Agimor:

It's barbaric such things don't occure in abroad.9ja need to upgrade.

It does occur here in the USA but it requires a permit and is mostly done by Cities themselves.

My city offers a farmers market every other weekend, where they close streets and farmers bring their fresh produce to sell.

http://quicksilverfotos.villageheadmaster.com/photo-album/events/city-of-monrovia-street/
My Citys bimonthly streetfaire

http://quicksilverfotos.villageheadmaster.com/photo-album/photo-album-1/monrovia-car-show/
My Citys biannual car show

http://quicksilverfotos.villageheadmaster.com/photo-album/photo-album-1/la-verne-car-show/
City Of La Verne Car Show

The issue with the way it's done in Nigeria is that it is chaotic and unorganized. When you close one road you have to announce the closure and there has to be alternative roads for people to take.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Outstrip(f): 11:53pm On Feb 13, 2012
Please no comparison. You forgot to mention that there are detours for miles ahead letting you know. Most times you have options of alternate routes. It is not for weddings and naming ceremonies and nonsense like that. The ones in Nigeria are just shameless. I just had this discussion with some Deltans and their attitude to Uduaghan blocking the roads for his daughters wedding was "if a common commissioner can do it then Uduaghan should be allowed to do whatever he wants". Meanwhile they sit in America enjoying the benefits of not having people like that in power
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 14, 2012
"Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible"

We'll agree to disagree on individual definition of events.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by toluxa1(m): 1:09am On Feb 14, 2012
It is really surprising that everyone is there saying events, events, events and it seems people a re scared to mention the fact that this is done alot by Muslims praying on Fridays (especially in the North). I have confronted my Muslim friends several times on this and it seems no one sees anything wrong when this happens. Alot of major highways in different parts of the state will be entirely blocked and traffic halted. This is very wrong. The truth most be told no matter what.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by chimauga(m): 1:26am On Feb 14, 2012
owambeeeee
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Novice1(m): 2:07am On Feb 14, 2012
It is just a sign of mental deficiency. They think they have to make others inconvenient for their worth to be established. And we have ineffective laws/enforcement to stop it.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by kizito96(m): 2:12am On Feb 14, 2012
If the road is closed for event other than partying the Nigerian style, then it is ok
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by kunlekunle: 6:24am On Feb 14, 2012
in UK they call it know your neighbour, where everyone comes together and have fun
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by Otses(f): 6:37am On Feb 14, 2012
This is something dt must be looked into properly, because its causing so much nusiance, Nigeria needs to grow up and do tins right
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by beespak7(m): 8:06am On Feb 14, 2012
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, just as far as the permit from the ministry is given, With good and alternative road diversions signs being used. whereby boldly inscribed road  diversion  signs to direct the car drivers where to follow are placed to ease the discomfort of the road users.

Actually its done all over europe in summer, you find small street parties organised by individualls, groups, small clubs, and companies with street closed, carnopies, tents, and live band used. But here they are always boldly inscribe diversions sign to divert traffic.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by queensmith: 8:25am On Feb 14, 2012
theres a yoruba saying 'olowo laiye mo' (if spelt correctly!)

so yes if you get the money you can block the road wella. people need to be inconvenienced by your celebrations. . .its the only way! lol
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by TonySpike: 8:59am On Feb 14, 2012
Recently, a Nigerian friend of mine in South Africa was telling me how a popular highway was shut-down in Durban for over two hours because a movie scene was been shot. But I reckon, the authorities must have been duly informed and all protocols were observed before such a thing is done.

There's no big deal in shutting down roads, but when done, the rules and norms must be obtained and alternative routes must be created to assuage the feelings of other road users. In Nigeria, the problem we have is that people believe so much in lawlessness and therefore, do whatever they like. A road is a communal property not an individual property and so, must be treated as such.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by inene: 10:15am On Feb 14, 2012
NOTHING JUSTIFIES THE CLOSURE OF STREETS OR ROADS EXCEPT WITH THE PERMISSION OF COUNCIL AUTHORITIES AND FOR A SHORT PERIOD. PEOPLE SHOULD NOT INCONVENINECE OTHERS ON ACCOUNT OF CELEBRATING ONE THING OR THE OTHER. ITS NAUSEATING THE WAY I HAVE SEEN IT DONE IN NIGERIA. THE GOVERNOR OF DELTA STATE WAS SAID TO HAVE SHUT DOWN WARRI WHEN HIS DAUGHTER GOT MARRIED AND DR UDUAGHAN IS AN EDUCATED MAN WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER BUT HE ALLOWED IT ALL THE SAME. IT HAS TO DO WITH THE EGO OF SOME PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO SHOW THE EXTENT OF THEIR ARRIVAL EITHER IN MAKING MONEY OR ACQUIRIING POWER. IF YOU ASK ME THIS SHOULD STOP.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by chiama1: 12:13pm On Feb 14, 2012
Why should any right thinking person block the road to celebrate an event, are they the only ones usuing the road, or is everyone going to be part of the event that they will not have reason to use that road until the event is over? i think its share selfishness and nothing justifies it.
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by cuteonyii(m): 2:43am On Feb 15, 2012
In as much as we hate it, it is also done here in US. During labour day, in Brooklyn NY,
infact the police will be there to make sure you adhear to the road block. but like someone said, you have to get permition. Gvt should turn it to money generating source. before you block road for any thing they will bill you heavly for it provided you provided an alternative route, lol
Re: Blocking Of Roads During Events;how Sensible by kodewrita(m): 1:24pm On Feb 15, 2012
Local government staff allow it as a way to supplement their income. Showed up at my sister's wedding to extort money for unpermitted road blockage of a hyper-low-traffic side-side-street.

A plate of hot pounded yam settled the issue.  cool

And yes, it is wrong.

(1) (Reply)

H.a.p.p.y. B.i.r.t.h.d.a.y. B.l.u.e.s.p.i.c.e.! / Is New Year Overrated / Christian(gospel) Drama- OMEGA VISION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.