Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Does The PDP Believe In True Federalism And Regionalism? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does The PDP Believe In True Federalism And Regionalism? (659 Views)

NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele / The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions / SW Leaders Led By Tinubu Do Not Want Regionalism, Shamelessly Prefer Status Quo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does The PDP Believe In True Federalism And Regionalism? by TonySpike: 9:32am On Feb 14, 2012
I have observed that the clamour for regional independence and autonomy by several "nation-states" in Nigeria is presently at its peak. While it is no doubt that hosting a national referendum today across the length and breadth of today's Nigeria will yield an overwhelming support for a regionally-inclined Nigeria, I have my sincere concern for the government in power. Today, PDP controls at least 65% of Nigeria's public offices and therefore, has an option of bringing the yearnings of the Nigerian people to fruition. My findings from the PDP web resources has shown that the party is not ready or even thinking of a regional system of government. For example, a statement from Wikipedia states that:

"The PDP strives to maintain the status quo on oil revenue distribution. Though the PDP government setup the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) to address the needs of the oil-producing Niger Delta states, it has rebuffed repeated efforts to revert back to the 50% to 50% federal-to-state government revenue allocation agreement established in 1966 during the First Republic"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Democratic_Party_%28Nigeria%29

A further study from the PDP website, although highly deceptive, states that:

"Restructuring Nigeria in the spirit of true federalism and responsible tiers of government, so as to achieve a just and equitable society"

http://www.peoplesdemocraticparty.net/about/manifesto

Leaving all these quotes aside, the "body language" of the PDP over the years has constantly shown that the party is not interested in implementing the wish for a greater and purer form of federalism. I cannot fathom why a party such as our PDP has proven rather non-chalant to the wishes of the Nigerian people. I may rationally attribute their queer stubbornness to the fear of the unknown. For example, could it be that a regional system of governance be the end of the domineering party called PDP? or perhaps, in a more milder form, the end of their corrupt "honeymoon" since 1999? Also, could it be that a lot of PDP investors and financiers fraternity stand to lose a lot from the regional autonomy as everyone will "occupy" their papa resources?

As I write this, I want to let everyone know that greatest threat to the Nigerian clamour for regionalism may be PDP afterall. A Nigeria with loose super-structure in a regional setting might not favour PDP and it is becoming obvious daily as they are loosing grip of the solution to the nation's numerous problems.

Tell me what you think about my observation, is PDP ready for true federalism and regionalism?

(1) (Reply)

House Okays Okonjo-iweala For World Bank Job / Rogue Banker Erastus Akingbola Corruption Trial Quashed At The Federal High Cour / ACN Vindicated Us On Aregbesola's Religious Extremism, Others – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.