Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,071 members, 7,859,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 08:48 PM

Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? (3276 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by chiogo(f): 8:31pm On Nov 17, 2007
younghoodi:

nope,i know what a fake person is,a fake person is always the one with the biggest mouth and that's real,am just sayin u a nice person get it right undecided,most of this poo i be sayin ain't even funny,but u hold a nigga down with ya heart even know am a crazy backside dude.
aww, that's sweet, cry  thanks. Now i got u, i thought u were tryna rash on me. undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 17, 2007
hmmmmmm. . . .i smell love in the air cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by younghoodi(m): 8:35pm On Nov 17, 2007
chiogo:

aww, that's sweet, cry thanks. Now i got u, i thought u was trying to rash on me. undecided

I don't rash on girls,i only get at boys,only bitch niggas argue with girls,girls are quick to cry undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by chiogo(f): 8:40pm On Nov 17, 2007
younghoodi:

I don't rash on girls,i only get at boys,only naughty woman niggas argue with girls,girls are quick to cry undecided
lol that's good to know.

gotta go now, see ya.

Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by kalmebad(f): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2008
Which is better here,using paper and not "Tissue paper" and using water?? angry angry
waiting for ur response,only then can i be part of this post,If not get a life if u dont have better thing to say dummy.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by londoner: 5:15pm On Feb 19, 2008
Seriously, on my recent stay in Nigeria I saw people doing number two OUTSIDE, in full view of everyone, even on the expressway. I didn't see tissue, paper, cloth or water anywhere near them.

I wish they used paper, and a real toilet.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by tomX1(m): 8:45pm On Feb 19, 2008
. . . i noticed that igbo people usually do not usually make use of conventional toiletries in the convenience.

In other words, am saying that they make use of paper, and the health hazard involved in this is that the used pieces of paper are usually stored in a basket beside the water closet.
Ths is true. I once spent 6 months in Owerri (Imo State) on one of our ASU imposed hollidays and I observed that what you described was prevalent there. I actualy formed a habit of always carrying a roll of tissue in my napsack when ever I had to go visiting people. It still strikes me as currious.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Mortiple(m): 1:45pm On Feb 20, 2008
yemivictor and tomX

So all u went to Igboland to do was to trail ladies to toilets. Shame to u!

Ashewo! Women wrapper!!

U did not observe anything good in Igboland to talk about , our hospitality, openmindedness, beautiful ladies all over, etc.

Both of u are simply "sense men wey dey shit for foolish woman backyard".

Ewu ofia!
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2008
it seems our friend the poster has an irrepressible urge to discuss the female Instruments in a degrading manner. i always advise people - if u want to be stupid, be stupid inside your house; don't display it outside. he still hasn't learnt.

if you talk about households being your case studies, why make the topic about women in particular? or didn't the men participate in the paper study?

if you did want to be objective, y pick on igbos alone? as someone rightly observed, perhaps you should explain y yorubas like to use water? only the good Lord knows what hausas use, and i wont even venture there.

try to show us that that you are capable of mentally stimulating topics. even if you did 'graduate' with a degree in toilet habit studies.

sheesh.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by tomX1(m): 10:28pm On Feb 20, 2008
. . . i noticed that igbo people usually do not usually make use of conventional toiletries in the convenience.
In other words, am saying that they make use of paper, and the health hazard involved in this is that the used pieces of paper are usually stored in a basket beside the water closet.

Mortiple:

yemivictor and tomX

So all u went to Igboland to do was to trail ladies to toilets. Shame to u!
Ashewo! Women wrapper!!
You did not observe anything good in Igboland to talk about , our hospitality, openmindedness, beautiful ladies all over, etc.
Both of u are simply "sense men wey dey shit for foolish woman backyard".
Ewu ofia!

@Mortiple, somehow the simple question asked by the poster tranlated into female Instruments by your warped interpretation. I take it that your barage of insults is an indication that you are particularly guilty of the observation made by the poster. Your focus should have been directed towards educating on the merits (if any) of such a practice.
If the Igbo's considered it a thing of shame to use a basket of paper scrap in their convinience instead of conventional tissue paper then they should not invite guest in to use their conviniences.
What has been observed can not be erased from the mind of the observers and the best you can do is correct the practice if you see it as wrong or show the merits of it if you think it is right.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by OgidiBoy(m): 5:17am On Feb 21, 2008
At least the Igbos use paper, what about the yoruba people that use those rubber bowls to sh^t in, or you think we don't know. The worst thing is that the use the same nasty bowl to eat from. Everybody knows that Yoruba are very dirty people especially their women.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Dreloaded(f): 5:24am On Feb 21, 2008
Look at this omo ale.

Where's romeo now to complain?

Hopefully someone will defecate on Ogidi's face soon. Infact Iya Basira would be nice, use your retarded face like her 'bowls" Oloshi. grin

and you sef yemi, what kind of stupid thread is this?
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Sexyabby(f): 5:39am On Feb 21, 2008
lmfao u people are killing me especially d last reply lol
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by kalmebad(f): 9:35am On Feb 21, 2008
@tomx

Do pple not have freedom to life anymore?,why will it be an issue here by the poster of how d Ibo ladies use paper,if he couldnt beat them,let him join suit ok,

Paper,What happens to the "Yoruba's and Water! why dont u ask him to remove the peck on his eyes b4 removing that of another person."Butterflies that think themselves a bird" angry
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by tomX1(m): 10:34am On Feb 21, 2008
kalmebad:

@tomx
Do people not have freedom to life anymore? . . .
@Kalmebad freedom to life is exactly what is happening here. Freedom to live, learn, question your environment and soroundings, seek answers to things you find puzzling and so on. Freedom.
If I asked you about the peculiar ruling system of the Igbo's you will probably educate me on it with a beautiful thesis. But a simple question as to a peculiar observed toilet habit among your people throws you all off center and all that has emenated from you people so far on this thread is insults and counter acussation. I'll bet that most of what you know about the behaviour of other tribes are based on the questions that people asked and got answers to. Misinformation comes about when people are either ill informed or prefer to guess the motives of others or where the people in position to give cogent answers prefer to hedge. Stop hedging and give a simple and educative answer if you have one.

I have actualy come across people whe use leaves to wipe up. They explained that it was because of a lack of alternative (scarcity of water and tissues in their rural setting). One can see why they do that and they will probably accept any better alternatives presented to them.

Yorubas might use water but one can easily see that water is a universal cleanser. I'm not youruba but I had a discussion with my yoruba room mate back in the university and after listening to him I gave it a try. It was nice. Now I always use wate and soap even after using tissue.

I fail to see how a simple polite and educative answer will hurt anyone so why get so defensive when people try to get know your tribe better (yet you guys complain about being misunderstood). Information doesn't have to be limited to the savoury foods and wonderful dance steps of your tribe. It is all encompassing.

Focus on this thread has been on the Igbo because some one asked. If you are curious about other tribes please open a thread and ask.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Germannig: 10:42am On Feb 21, 2008
last poster

Gosh! Your hands must be bacteria-laden. When you check it out on a microscope, you will certainly find a thick flocculation of bacteria (biofilm). And to think that you eat and shake decent others with those filthy hands of yours? grin

But the truth is, it is better to use paper (and that is if what the first poster observed is indeed an Igbo-wide thing, or just a few poor people who apparently can't afford tissue papers), which is actually what the so-called tissue paper is, than to use hands or to be shitting all over the place like is the case in Ibadan and Yoruba-dominated parts of Lagos.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by tomX1(m): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2008
Tissue paper is soft and absorbent enogh to do some thorough cleaning with. The coarse kind of paper you rip off a note book will not do the same. It might evenn cause injury. As a little experiment. Take two saucers and smear them with palm oil. Use a tissue to wipe one then try to wipe the other with ordinay paper and see if you get the same result.

Germannig:

. . . But the truth is, it is better to use paper . . .
I disagree with you. It's always better to wash with soap and water than to just wipe. If you are afraid of getting doody on your hands (quite understandable) then wipe first and wash afterwards with toilet soap and water. It's a lot more hygenic.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Germannig: 1:09pm On Feb 21, 2008
@tomX:

Tissue paper is soft and absorbent enogh to do some thorough cleaning with. The coarse kind of paper you rip off a note book will not do the same. It might evenn cause injury. As a little experiment. Take two saucers and smear them with palm oil. Use a tissue to wipe one then try to wipe the other with ordinay paper and see if you get the same result.
I disagree with you. It's always better to wash with soap and water than to just wipe. If you are afraid of getting doody on your hands (quite understandable) then wipe first and wash afterwards with toilet soap and water. It's a lot more hygenic.

Now you are complicating a simple exercise as ''shitting'' by advocating to wipe with tissue, then hand, water and soap. This is becoming ridiculous and laborious.

Plus, what makes you assume that those who use paper do so with coarse paper? What makes you think they do not moisten the paper in water before use?
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by Germannig: 1:11pm On Feb 21, 2008
I am an Igbo, but how come I never observed this paper thing in all my years on earth?
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by tomX1(m): 1:10am On Feb 22, 2008
Depends on where you grew up I think. I noticed that it was prevalent in Owerri.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by kalmebad(f): 8:38am On Feb 22, 2008
@tomX

Am not trying to sound antagonistic based on the poster's quest nor am i trying to be defensive here for d fact that the refrence is made to the Ibo girls.All the poster is trying to do here is to slight the Ibo girls,his question is baseless,u kwn y? did his reserch or observation only made on d girls alone,  or the entire Ibo's, or on a particular community.If his findings was only on d girls,dat means he wasnt doing anything useful with his life rather than going abt sniffing their "Yashi" When i say freedom of life" there are things that shld not be seen as a question,rather as a choice to life,and do not forget here dat that could only be prevelent to the villagers, it is on this vein that i keep asking,"what happens to the Yoruba's and water"lets even use Lagos here as a case study and not the Village where he may have carried out his youth service. Now which is better here?

@atomx, u speak about soap and water,how many of u in an office enviroment will go looking for soap,u are trying to make it suit ur own reasons.what happens when tissue paper is there and yet Yoruba's (some of course) still use water,cus the poster's seems to be particular abt Ibo girls using paper instead of Tissue paper, "IF ALL MUST,THEN LETS ALL GO FOR TISSUE PAPER AND RULE OUT BOTH PAPER AND WATER" if not the topic is irrelevant
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by tomX1(m): 3:25pm On Feb 22, 2008
kalmebad:

@tomX
Am not trying to sound antagonistic based on the poster's quest nor am i trying to be defensive here for d fact that the refrence is made to the Ibo girls.All the poster is trying to do here is to slight the Ibo girls . . .
@kalmebad,
You may verywell have a good point. The mere fact that the poster resurected this thread several times in the last few months might well be a pointer to that. Mischief aside however the points he raised is something I had observed in my solourn in Owerri and no one gave any cogent answer to it there.

kalmebad:

. . . @atomx, u speak about soap and water,how many of u in an office enviroment will go looking for soap . . .
You do not have to look for soap dear, most half decent offices will provide toiletries for their staff and clients.

kalmebad:
what happens when tissue paper is there and yet Yoruba's (some of course) still use water,cus the poster's seems to be particular about Ibo girls using paper instead of Tissue paper, "IF ALL MUST,THEN LETS ALL GO FOR TISSUE PAPER AND RULE OUT BOTH PAPER AND WATER" if not the topic is irrelevant
Well I cannot hold brief for any tribe or group here. I am simply on the side of good toilet habits. Now when we clean up (either with tissue or other means) we still get to wash our hand right (basic hygine)? This is the hand that only made contact with the tissue. This in itself will show that the tissue by itself is not an excellent cleaning agent. You still need to use soap and water. Wiping with tissue alone can not entirely clean every trace of the feaces from around the anal opening. If you can help it, wash afterwards.
Re: Why Do Igbo Girls Use Paper? by 677ano(m): 12:47pm On Sep 21, 2011
@OP

This is culture section and sorry to point out that this is quite a silly post

(1) (2) (Reply)

Black People And Christmas Gift / Translate Some Words From English To Hausa / Short History Of Ifon Osun In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.