Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,540 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Igbo In The 1700's - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo In The 1700's (41945 Views)

Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong / Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? / The Home Of The Igbo In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by maestroferddi: 10:32pm On Sep 10, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I'm here to counter any lie.
And we are here to watch you cry...

7 Likes

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Atmmachine(m): 10:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
Please, Help me.

I'm new on Nairaland.
How do i comment on a topic ??

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
I read about olaudah equiano in my secondary school days..this is the first time i'm reading something substantial..nice one op
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by CodeineJunkiee(m): 11:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
I can't read this long epistle. Summarize accordingly angry
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 11, 2014
Dolemite: The Igbos I have come across weren't cool, but I still love Igbo anyway, anyone wanna teach me Igbo? pleeeease? grin grin
are you ready?

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by djon78(m): 1:34am On Sep 11, 2014
Everything he wrote about in that book I can relate to it personaly, he was truly an Igbo man. And this event was like 400 years ago. Like concerning burial my Dad told me that his Father who was a highly titeled man was buried in the evening, and that he was buried secretely, it was only the titled men that knew his grave. Also concerning farming that is also true, my Dads elder cousin who is almost in his 80s told me some of his personal experiences and his own fathers experiences just last xmas concerning their attitude to farming and how the evil men in the land sold those they caught to slavery and how almost all of those evil men died in a mysterious and terrible way.
Finaly I got firsthand account from my Dads Mum, she died in 2003 at almost 105. She told me how truth, honesty and justice was the standard before the advent of white man, and that women then were embodiment of virtue.

One Conclusion I have come to realise is that the white man through slave trade, colonialism and its bagagge so much distorted the way of life of the African man. Today the black race are just totaly lost without no direction. For instance I had a breif stay in the Asia Pacific, and I discovered that the Asians be it Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Koreans etc all copied westeren civilisation adapting it to their culture but still completely retained their unique cultures while in Africa we almost threw away our culture and replaced it with white mans own, including the destructive and harmful ones. That is why presently there is complete erosion of traditional good values in our society and it is worst among young people. Growing up as a kid in the 80s, then people were highly responsible, but today even young kids and teens are grossly irresponsible, and it portrays great and scary danger for us as a people in no distant future.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 1:46am On Sep 11, 2014
''I recollect an instance or two, which I hope it will not be deemed impertinent here to insert, as it may serve as a kind of specimen of the rest, and is still used by the negroes in the West Indies. A virgin had been poisoned, but it was not known by whom: the doctors ordered the corpse to be taken up by some persons, and carried to the grave. As soon as the bearers had raised it on their shoulders, they seemed seized with some sudden impulse, and ran to and fro unable to stop themselves. At last, after having passed through a number of thorns and prickly bushes unhurt, the corpse fell from them close to a house, and defaced it in the fall; and, the owner being taken up, he immediately confessed the poisoning.''

Damn... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 11, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

You are wrong. It's the first Autobiography ever written by a blackman.

You must be out of your senses. You clearly lack knowledge of African history before the 17th century, when the continent's history is several thousands of years old.

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 3:01am On Sep 11, 2014
I'm curious and I hope someone here satisfy my curiosity..

Who are the Oye-Eboe he described? He said they come from south west? I checked Nigeria's map and people who are south-west to Igbos are people from Rivers... Are they the Oye-Eboes?
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Dolemite(f): 3:03am On Sep 11, 2014
Mrkuvuki: are you ready?

Yes please.

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by bigfrancis21: 3:50am On Sep 11, 2014
oboman: I'm curious and I hope someone here satisfy my curiosity..

Who are the Oye-Eboe he described? He said they come from south west? I checked Nigeria's map and people who are south-west to Igbos are people from Rivers... Are they the Oye-Eboes?

I think he was referring to the Arochukwu's from Abia state as they were known to be slave raiders raiding the whole Igboland scouting for slaves, who after being captured were first dedicated to the powerful Arochukwu oracle, Ibini Ukpabi, to be imprinted on the captured that 'slave status' and mental priming before finally selling them off the the white slave masters. These Aros were known to rub 'uhie' all over their bodies to disguise their identities before raiding Igbo communities. Those were the 'onye Igbo' Ikwuano was referring to in his autobiography.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by odumchi: 4:24am On Sep 11, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I think he was referring to the Arochukwu's from Abia state as they were known to be slave raiders raiding the whole Igboland scouting for slaves, who after being captured were first dedicated to the powerful Arochukwu oracle, Ibini Ukpabi, to be imprinted on the captured that 'slave status' and mental priming before finally selling them off the the white slave masters. These Aros were known to rub 'uhie' all over their bodies to disguise their identities before raiding Igbo communities. Those were the 'onye Igbo' Ikwuano was referring to in his autobiography.

Not to say that the Aro never conducted raids, but a lot of these "Aro raiders" we hear about were actually Abiriba and Ohafia mercenaries, you know.

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by houseoffufu(m): 5:41am On Sep 11, 2014
Aquino's book is interesting. Read it years ago. I think the great Igbo historian Adele Afigbo even wrote a couple of papers that linked Aquino's book to Igbo traditions. Toyin Falola (Yoruba, I think) has edited and published several books of Afigbo's essays, which are published in Nigeria (!!) For anyone interested in Igbo culture and history, please consult Afigbo. You'll be lifted.
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by richjohn1(m): 6:34am On Sep 11, 2014
Fraud fraud fraud!!!

The abolitionist cooked up all those crap don't be deceived! The details may truly reveal cultural and historical fact but the story na big lie! It was a major tool & device wilberforce and his likes used in abolishing slave trade!
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 11, 2014
Another thing...

Olaudah offered to come to africa as a missionary since he was African and could easily survive malaria unlike the whites, but that offer was turned down.Some school of thought claimed he was too intelligent and resourceful "to be wasted away in Africa".

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Olaudah bought his own freedom after serving his master who was a merchant.

He would buy and sell goods for his master sometimes above the normal profit margins, that way he was able to save enough money to buy his freedom.

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by zendy: 7:30am On Sep 11, 2014
oboman: I'm curious and I hope someone here satisfy my curiosity..

There are historians who believe that Oye-eboe could be the origin of the word 'Oyibo' meaning 'foreigner'. I also read somewhere that Olaudahs birthplace which he called 'Esakka' is actually 'Isieke' in present day Anambra state. To understand this write-up,the reader has to bear in mind that Olaudah was writing to European readers at a time when there was no such thing as 'Nigeria' and hardly any African knew English. It is a very interesting read and I will later post a link to download the Pdf. I remember what he said about the first time he saw a white man lol, or how he and other slaves felt when they were leaving Africa for the West Indies . It is obvious that the slaves didn't know how far they were about to travel or they would have rather prefared being killed. It seems they set sail in what is now known as port harcourt because he said he could still understand the language similar to his so it may have been present day Ikwereland .A must read for all Igbos. Funny thing is that Olaudah later ended up in London as a hair-dresser .

5 Likes

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by emeka94(m): 8:57am On Sep 11, 2014
maestroferddi: I think it behoves you to consider your attitude if many people take issues with your conduct.

No point playing ostrich...
Bro no vex oh abeg. What does 'playing ostrich' mean?
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by maestroferddi: 9:03am On Sep 11, 2014
emeka94:
Bro no vex oh abeg. What does 'playing ostrich' mean?
OK. It means pretending as if a problem does not exist.

Or put another way, it is a situation when someone refuses to face a problem but decides to act as if it doesn't matter.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 11, 2014
zendy:

There are historians who believe that Oye-eboe could be the origin of the word 'Oyibo' meaning 'foreigner'. I also read somewhere that Olaudahs birthplace which he called 'Esakka' is actually 'Isieke' in present day Anambra state. To understand this write-up,the reader has to bear in mind that Olaudah was writing to European readers at a time when there was no such thing as 'Nigeria' and hardly any African knew English. It is a very interesting read and I will later post a link to download the Pdf. I remember what he said about the first time he saw a white man lol, or how he and other slaves felt when they were leaving Africa for the West Indies . It is obvious that the slaves didn't know how far they were about to travel or they would have rather prefared being killed. It seems they set sail in what is now known as port harcourt because he said he could still understand the language similar to his so it may have been present day Ikwereland .A must read for all Igbos. Funny thing is that Olaudah later ended up in London as a hair-dresser .
I really would appreciate having the link to the pdf download. I read about his book some time ago, and I've searched for the book without any results. Awaiting your response. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by fireforfire: 9:10am On Sep 11, 2014
l this long story and no pic? undecided

abeg use pics for better illustration which makes a story more interesting
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Ochiz(f): 9:10am On Sep 11, 2014
I feel so sad.....such nostalgia...such loss....those bloody white slavers I hate them hate them hate them! They still won't leave us alone! God why won't these white sickos leave blacks alone?Haven't they used and abused us enough?How about those betrayer of brothers...those cannibalistic Calabarians, those poor deluded fools who sold/exchanged their heritage for the price of colourful meal preparation and sexual expertise,taking into their own bodies the recompense of their own actions,yes! threators always pay the penalty for treachery!! (I'm withholding some serious bad words)

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by emeka94(m): 9:15am On Sep 11, 2014
maestroferddi: OK. It means pretending as if a problem does not exist.

Or put another way, it is a situation when someone refuses to face a problem but decides to act as if it doesn't matter.
Ok. Thanks a lot.
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by chibecanglobal(m): 10:26am On Sep 11, 2014
thwarrior72: What a great piece. How do I lay my hand on this lovely book?
Here is the book bro.. www.hh-bb.com/equiano.pdf
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by chibecanglobal(m): 10:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Here is the book .. www.hh-bb.com/equiano.pdf
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 11, 2014
how on earth do you expect me to read this whole text book
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by emeka94(m): 11:00am On Sep 11, 2014
(though I have known the males to betroth themselves).

The above is a line in the passage. I noticed this when I read but I didn't want to comment cos I wasn't sure if I read right. So I gave it to a friend and he confirmed.
Pls what does the statement mean?
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by thwarrior72: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
chibecanglobal: Here is the book bro.. www.hh-bb.com/equiano.pdf
Thanks bro
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by SpencerLewis(m): 12:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dolemite: The Igbos I have come across weren't cool, but I still love Igbo anyway, anyone wanna teach me Igbo? pleeeease? grin grin
yes i'm ready to teach u but on one condition that u have to marry me chikena.

1 Like

Re: Igbo In The 1700's by thwarrior72: 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
Re: Igbo In The 1700's by thwarrior72: 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
SpencerLewis:
yes i'm ready to teach u but on one condition that u have to marry me chikena.
Hahahaha cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHOTO: So Hilarious! Igbo Masquerade Poses With Girlfriend / What does the word 'Biafra' mean? / Abdul Rasheed Akanbi And His Pregnant Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.