Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? (29178 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" / Would You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me how some just love to "cry more than the bereaved", when it comes to Osu.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Feb 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people just love to cry more than the bereaved, when it comes to Osu.

This is not about crying more than the bereaved rather it's about being fair. It's the same people that are discriminating against their fellow Igbos that will shout racism when they travel to obodo oyibo.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by htajz: 4:42pm On Feb 15, 2012
wow wow wow , igbos people are really shamless people, in this 21st century   the worst part is the way you wash your dirty linen on public forums, you might as well post it on facebook chai , you people should stop posting such depressing topics on public forums, keep you shit to urself yack. now am begining to reason with those yorubas that keep bashing you . nawa oo na so we for dey with una for biafra.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 4:44pm On Feb 15, 2012
htajz:

wow wow wow , igbos people are really shamless people, in this 21st century   the worst part is the way you wash your dirty linen on public forums, you might as well post it on facebook chai , you people should stop posting such depressing topics on public forums, keep you poo to urself yack. now am begining to reason with those yorubas that keep bashing you . nawa oo na so we for dey with una for biafra.

Other cultures also have their own negative elements. There's nothing shameful about it.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by htajz: 4:49pm On Feb 15, 2012
afam4eva:

Other cultures also have their own negative elements. There's nothing shameful about it.

like? do you see them talk about it, you guys still have much to learn , such sensitive issues should either be left to die a natural death with your elders but if must must show it outside then be prepared to have a solution , do you know how many igbos that are not aware of this but u just made them aware and trust moderators its already in the front page for the world to see. now they will watch out for who is an osu and who is not. my brother to open thread no be by force .
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by omega25red(m): 4:52pm On Feb 15, 2012
[size=18pt]WTF is OSU does anyone actually know or are you all just following a myth[/size] what does OSU stand for and what exactly do they do that makes people so afraid of them
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 4:53pm On Feb 15, 2012
htajz:

like? do you see them talk about it, you guys still have much to learn , such sensitive issues should either be left to die a natural death with your elders but if must must show it outside then be prepared to have a solution , do you know how many igbos that are not aware of this but u just made them aware and trust moderators its already in the front page for the world to see. now they will watch out for who is an osu and who is not. my brother to open thread no be by force .

Are you suggesting that we pretend like it doesn't exist? What exactly are you clamouring for?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 4:55pm On Feb 15, 2012
omega25red:

[size=18pt]WTF is OSU does anyone actually know or are you all just following a myth[/size] what does OSU stand for and what exactly do they do that makes people so afraid of them

Osu are a group of people whose ancestors were dedicated to serving in shrines and temples for the deities of the Igbo, and therefore were deemed property of the gods. Relationships and sometimes interactions with Osu were (and to this day, still are) in many cases, forbidden. To this day being called an Osu remains a stigma that prevents people's progress and lifestyles.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by willsman(m): 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2012
The question is bigger than man to answer. Already God created man and later woman (Eve) and he never made any other man or woman the form he made those guys (Adam and Eve) talk more of naming them a different name in the origin meaning that it is political to marry OSU by DIALA. Let my woman to be good in the first place now that i am about to marry and other things, story!
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by htajz: 4:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
afam4eva:

Are you suggesting that we pretend like it doesn't exist? What exactly are you clamouring for?

talking about something cause more harm than good, your exposing your people abroad that know nothing of it about it, thats not good , if you want to talk about it go your villages or ohaneze or the communities that pratice it, like i said you people still have a lot to learn.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:58pm On Feb 15, 2012
Afam, you and co. are crying more than the bereaved. That is simply what you're doing. If you people knew anything about Osu then you would know that Osu and non-Osu interact, HEAVILY. You would also know that most Osu live their entire lives having no idea whatsoever that they are even Osu. YOUR BEST FRIEND could very well be Osu, and you would not even have the slightest clue. Why? Because even he most likely does not even know. The last Igbo girl you dated could very well be Osu and you wouldn't even know. Why? Because she herself probably has no idea.

Do you get the picture I'm painting here? You're shouting "Discrimination! Discrimination!", with no empirical evidence to show. You don't see Osu coming to talk about their plight. How could they, when the vast majority of them don't even have the slightest clue if they are or are not Osu? You're crying much much more than the bereaved. End of story.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Konnektions146(m): 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2012
its quite a pity that stuff like that happen, in my village i heard dere are certain individuals like that but my family dont care abt it cos an uncle of mine married from there.

but i know thats with the way my family setting is, no one would care abt all dose, i still dont know this whole stuff is still happening but come to think of it, its not like they re ugly, dumb or not good, na wa oooo,

for me, I WILL MARRY oooo
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by htajz: 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Afam, you and co. are crying more than the bereaved. That is simply what you're doing. If you people knew anything about Osu then you would know that Osu and non-Osu interact, HEAVILY. You would also know that most Osu live their entire lives having no idea whatsoever that they are even Osu. YOUR BEST FRIEND could very well be Osu, and you would not even have the slightest clue. Why? Because even he most likely does not even know. The last Igbo girl you dated could very well be Osu and you wouldn't even know. Why? Because she herself probably has no idea.

Do you get the picture I'm painting here? You're shouting "Discrimination! Discrimination!", with no empirical evidence to show. You don't see Osu coming to talk about their plight. How could they, when the vast majority of them don't even have the slightest clue if they are or are not Osu? You're crying much much more than the bereaved. End of story.

thats what am trying to say , with such topics those that dont know might start asking when they could have lived their life not knowing or caring.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by hardbody: 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2012
@ afam, I do not have the patience to read through the entire thread, i have however noted a point that i believe deserves a response, or perhaps an answer. The people of arondizuogu are not osu, at least from inception (so i guess it will not change later). They are people of Arochukwu extract and they moved on to stay in the present location where they are now. For avoidance of doubt, the Aros of Arochukwu do not have the Osu Caste system, what they have is Amadi and non-Amadi. An Amadi can actually marry a non-Amadi and no body will raise an eyebrow, although there was a guy that wanted to marry my cousin (a female) sometime ago, and i think one of my uncle's did not just like the guy, so part of his peruasive argument was taht my cousin will loose her Amadi status upon marrying the guy. However, people do not go into tracing such history generally in terms of marriage, although in quite a few instances, teh Amadis will always try to indicate that they are the 'sons of the soil'.

Back to the people of Arondizuogu, they still come home to their ancestral home in Arochukwu during the Ikeji Festival )in teh last week of September each year) and they are welcome and we mix and celebrate with them. As a matter of fact, another of my uncles married from there and that his wife happens to be one of the best wives we had ever brought into our family fold. Further, my other relations also go to Ndizuogu whenever they are celebrating their own Ikeji (new yam festival), i have hardly had teh time to attend though. Essentially therefore, teh Arondizuogus are not Osu because they are extracted fro Arochukwu and the Aros do not have the caste system.

Secondly, the law has also abolished that rubbish and honestly why would any one person have a right to determine that someone else is lesser than others. If we had that system, i for one would have gone all out to search out and marry an Osu and then see what happens. By the way forthe records, in Arochukwu, the people we say are not Amadis are teh ones doing a lot better than the Amadis, althouh te reason is a lot more historical, but that is the fact.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
afam4eva:

Osu are a group of people whose ancestors were dedicated to serving in shrines and temples for the deities of the Igbo, and therefore were deemed property of the gods. Relationships and sometimes interactions with Osu were (and to this day, still are) in many cases, forbidden. To this day being called an Osu remains a stigma that prevents people's progress and lifestyles.

please dont talk about sometime you nothing about!! They arent ppl who were dedicated to serve in the shrines!! Stop feeding ppl false knowledge!!
I repeat,stop talking about something you are grossly ignorant of!!
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 5:10pm On Feb 15, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

please dont talk about sometime you nothing about!! They arent ppl who were dedicated to serve in the shrines!! Stop feeding ppl false knowledge!!
I repeat,stop talking about something you are grossly ignorant of!!

Please educate us then.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
afam4eva:

Please educate us then.

Read my post on page one,I am surprise you couldnt read that since I was the first to post a response or was I the second after Ngwa boy.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by sinie: 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:
What's funny is that there is even nothing to talk about, concerning this Osu topic. People are raising dust for no reason.

I totally agree with you chinenye! Really its nt a big deal at all anymore! Infact when you come to villages you don't even know those that are osu s anymore except maybe from their names! ( Names like nwosu) bt those that their families changed names a long time ago u can't even tell cos there is absolutely no discrimination anymore! So a big yes, I ll marry the one I love, osu or not!
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by iykak47: 5:28pm On Feb 15, 2012
I believe such a custom should be abolished but the truth is that even some born again Christians that are suppose to fight against  the  pratice still adhere to it secretly.
Another angle is that Osu issue is deeper  than the way some of us understand it, we should not forget that if one marries osu, authomatically the children have become osu. You and i can say it doesnt matter this is 21 century we can marry whoever we love but can we force others to marry our children?(osu}.The part of Igboland where man pikini come from most parents and kinsmen wont allow one to marry in such a family, its sad but that's the truth.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by OperaMini1(m): 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2012
I'm surprised than in 2012, some people are still behaving as if they're living in the stone age. They still discriminate against OSU and OHU people. let me know from Igbos on here: Can you marry an OSU?[/b]

Afam,

You that even brought this post, are you not behaving like same people? Tell me, how do you identify an Osu?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2012
PLEASE I WANT EVERYBODY HERE WHO IS AT LOST AS TO WHAT OSU IS TO CLEAN THEIR  EARS AND LISTEN TO THE ONE CHOSEN BY THE GODS TO COMMUNICATE HIS MESSAGE TO YOU IGBOS. . . Firstly OSU is not the same OHU.
Ok,let me start with OHU; Ohus are decendants of slaves who were bought by traders to do servile job for them. . .Ohus can be set free and become citizen of a town since there is no rituals nor oath binding them to that status. . .when they become free they are allowed to marry from the rest of the town,take Ozo title but can not be made an EZEANI. . .Ohus are not rejected nor forbidden ppl but are just ppl with lower profile in the town. . .Infact "igba boy boy" is a continuation of the Ohu cast system but its a little advanced. Most Anambra areas dont have the Ohu cast system becsuse of the NRI religious influence as it was forbidden by the MOST SACRED NRI RELIGION!! . . .continues shortly. . .
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:54pm On Feb 15, 2012
sinie:

ChinenyeN:
What's funny is that there is even nothing to talk about, concerning this Osu topic. People are raising dust for no reason.

I totally agree with you chinenye! Really its nt a big deal at all anymore! Infact when you come to villages you don't even know those that are osu s anymore except maybe from their names! ( Names like nwosu or anagor) bt those that their families changed names a long time ago u can't even tell cos there is absolutely no discrimination anymore! So a big yes, I ll marry the one I love, osu or not!

Hahaha!! eekwa! Come to my town and talk like this and you will be tied up and sacrificed to the ALUSI UMUOSU.
Even the mighty Anunmili Okodu tried to oppose and abolish it but he met a stiff resistance in all the ancient institution in my town including Umuofia,the Ezeani,Umudibia,Umuokpu,all the Ozo group and numerious more !! The thing is this: you,as an outsider wont be able to identify an osu but the indigins can tell one from the dark!! Buh I do agree they have fine chics shaa!!
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by sinie: 6:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
Hahaha!! eekwa! Come to my town and talk like this and you will be tied up and sacrificed to the ALUSI UMUOSU.
Even the mighty Anunmili Okodu tried to oppose and abolish it but he met a stiff resistance in all the ancient institution in my town including Umuofia,the Ezeani,Umudibia,Umuokpu,all the Ozo group and numerious more !! The thing is this: you,as an outsider wont be able to identify an osu but the indigins can tell one from the dark!! Buh I do agree they have fine chics shaa!!

Are you serious? That's strange oh,if I may ask what town is dat cos I would not want to marry into such a place and be discriminated! Am from anambra state myself but ave NEVER heard of osu discrimination! In fact my grandfather was the igwe of my town and my elder sister( a princess of the land) married an Osu and it wasn't a big deal at all, in fact it was not even a topic for discussion!!!
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by nagoma(m): 6:16pm On Feb 15, 2012
The OSU, human sacrifice and all that , all very primitive and these people are practicing this extreme primitive practices in the 21st century. they still have the audacity to come and present themselves as civilized. Where is crayola?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by tlops(m): 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2012
What is OSU?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Feb 15, 2012
Abeg, Who sabi any correct OSU girl, Pls introduce

INFACT NA OSU I WAN MARRY NOW
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by slam7000(m): 6:41pm On Feb 15, 2012
quote from htajz,

wow wow wow , igbos people are really shamless people, in this 21st century     the worst part is the way you wash your dirty linen on public forums, you might as well post it on facebook chai , you people should stop posting such depressing topics on public forums, keep you poo to urself yack. now am begining to reason with those yorubas that keep bashing you . nawa oo na so we for dey with una for biafra.

We are proud of who we are, and that includes discussing topics like this,just like female ggeenniittaall mutilation practiced by several cultures,topics like this shld be brought up and discussed,why shld you hide it when you know its there, BTW whats your ethnic group??say it if your are proud of who you are.i dare you to say where you are from.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by chidyke77(m): 7:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
@Afam
Ihere na eme mu na ihe ndia ina ekwu ebe a. Ihe ndia bu ihe anyi ga na ekwu na asusu anyi. Ikwesiri iji asusu anyi were bido edemede gi maka ndi ozo ikpari anyi. Mana ha ebidogo kpariba anyi kitaa.
Imeghi nkeoma ma ncha.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by drnoel: 7:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
Its funny but our parents keep talking and screaming about Osu ma Ohu and warned us strictly 2 stay away and not bring any home. I remember one time many of my guys came around (we were in the Uni then in the east), my dad staged us with more than an hour talk on the topic. It was also the same my guys cos all our parents were against it.
Funny, 70% of my home boys married the so called Osu's from different towns. I asked one of them once why did u decide 2 go again ur parents. He said "men have u seen girls 4rm those regions. Or boy these chick fine no be small. Dem be like Tomato Jos. Abeg, my parents have 2 get used 2 the idea".
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:20pm On Feb 15, 2012
@Htajz,how dare you drunken fisher man open you lazy mouth to talk about Ndigbo ?? Believe me you little uncultured bastaard,we Igbos dont care about you Ijaws one bit!! Go back to the creeks and carry ur gun and go steal oil! You are a big fool! We Igbos are very open minded and discussing this here shows the level of our maturity and confidence.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by drnoel: 7:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
hardbody:

@ afam, I do not have the patience to read through the entire thread, i have however noted a point that i believe deserves a response, or perhaps an answer. The people of arondizuogu are not osu, at least from inception (so i guess it will not change later). They are people of Arochukwu extract and they moved on to stay in the present location where they are now. For avoidance of doubt, the Aros of Arochukwu do not have the Osu Caste system, what they have is Amadi and non-Amadi. An Amadi can actually marry a non-Amadi and no body will raise an eyebrow, although there was a guy that wanted to marry my cousin (a female) sometime ago, and i think one of my uncle's did not just like the guy, so part of his peruasive argument was taht my cousin will loose her Amadi status upon marrying the guy. However, people do not go into tracing such history generally in terms of marriage, although in quite a few instances, teh Amadis will always try to indicate that they are the 'sons of the soil'.

Back to the people of Arondizuogu, they still come home to their ancestral home in Arochukwu during the Ikeji Festival )in teh last week of September each year) and they are welcome and we mix and celebrate with them. As a matter of fact, another of my uncles married from there and that his wife happens to be one of the best wives we had ever brought into our family fold. Further, my other relations also go to Ndizuogu whenever they are celebrating their own Ikeji (new yam festival), i have hardly had teh time to attend though. Essentially therefore, teh Arondizuogus are not Osu because they are extracted fro Arochukwu and the Aros do not have the caste system.

Secondly, the law has also abolished that rubbish and honestly why would any one person have a right to determine that someone else is lesser than others. If we had that system, i for one would have gone all out to search out and marry an Osu and then see what happens. By the way forthe records, in Arochukwu, the people we say are not Amadis are teh ones doing a lot better than the Amadis, althouh te reason is a lot more historical, but that is the fact.

Well I don't know where u got ur info but my Uncles told me once there was this God the people of Aro used to worship that was too potent. They did call them Osu when they told me. I don't know if they were right or wrong, but there was this very nice wealthy guy that came 2 marry my sister some yrs ago and my Uncle that usually like seeing that kind of wealthy person completely blocked it. My sis married someone else.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by dayokanu(m): 7:25pm On Feb 15, 2012
dayokanu:

[size=18pt]Abeg, Who sabi any correct OSU girl, Pls introduce

INFACT NA OSU I WAN MARRY NOW[/size]

Ifyalways come to my aid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.