Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" (11058 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / Would You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by chy4luv: 12:08am On Jan 16, 2008
Please i need some advice.My brother has been dating a daughter of our family friend{our church catichist's).He has been sponsoring this girl in university for 2yrs now.our parents supported them only for us to find out that they are 'OSU'.Now my parents said he is not going to marry the girl but my brother is bragging that nothing will make him not to marry the girl.Please this OSU issue is it still being considered?
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 16, 2008
chy4luv:

Please i need some advice.My brother has been dating a daughter of our family friend{our church catichist's).He has been sponsoring this girl in university for 2yrs now.our parents supported them only for us to find out that they are 'OSU'.Now my parents said he is not going to marry the girl but my brother is bragging that nothing will make him not to marry the girl.Please this OSU issue is it still being considered?

Hmm, I'm not sure what an "osu" is, can you please explain? Some others may be in the dark too.

I imagine it's something tribal / cultural?
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by uspry1(f): 12:23am On Jan 16, 2008
@poster or anyone
Would you kindly explain what is "outcast" osu clearly? I still do not understand this at all as it is still existed. I did research on google---still don't get it!!!

For me, who cares if this person is osu you love very much but your parent are freaked out, this is your decision to marry this person, not your parent. Forget about old-fashioned culture where your parent's past generations were, focus on MODERNIZATION culture.

Here you may find more existing threads at below:

Would You Marry An Osu?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-23527.0.html

Can I marry An "Osu" As Ibos Call It?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-38277.32.html

I'm About To Marry An "Outcast' (Osu) Guy
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-48932.96.html

Osu Girls
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-103583.0.html
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by uspry1(f): 12:24am On Jan 16, 2008
@Siena

Lol! You read my mind, send same time for the same request few second ago.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:58am On Jan 16, 2008
I don't believe in the osu whatever, i believe marriage should be based on love and respect for each other without interference from parents, culture, tribe or any other external factors.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by olupahpah(m): 8:38am On Jan 16, 2008
Didnt know that shit still exists!!! Just another form of segregation betwen our people.

@ siena , uspry1

check this out

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/maduabum/osu_system.htm
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 16, 2008
@ olupahpah: Thanks for the link, will read through it later in depth.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by yimiton(f): 9:07am On Jan 16, 2008
Osu my foot!
I'm surprise people still subject themselves to this nonsence of outcast. Can anyone trully tell me what difference there is between an Osu and a Free born? what really makes someone an Osu?

This is totally annoying. I'll advice your brother stays solidly by his girlfriend and match her straight to the alter!
Forget this old age, archaic, primitive and uninformed practice against fellow humans and see people the way they are.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by candies(f): 1:06pm On Jan 16, 2008
Please someone should tell me what qualifies an individual OSU.

Are they born as Osus or have they done some aborminable things that qualify them thus?

I really need to know what makes them unqualifed human beings. Please good NLanders, help me out here.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by TheSly: 1:15pm On Jan 16, 2008

Please someone should tell me what qualifies an individual OSU.

all u need to do is to check the link above!. . . the one that was posted by olupahpah wink
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by candies(f): 1:31pm On Jan 16, 2008
If they were used for rituals, then, they must have been killed for the gods, thus they are not suppose to have any lineage in our times.

From my understanding of Chinua Achebe's 'No longer at ease' or 'Arrow of God' (I'm no longer sure which of the books I got that from) The Osus where regular people that were dedicated to serve the gods. For this reason, their heads were never shaved, they kept dreadlocks and hardly had their baths.
From that account, they didn't need to do anything custormarily wrong, they were just dedicated to the gods.
They were not allowed to marry from other families except within themselves.

If this or even what Omo Ibo said above is true, how does that affect us today?

I really am not getting this own thing! Let's just stop this unnecessary discrimination and live life.
If I meet someone real sweet and cool, loving and caring, you mean, I'll let him go because he's an Osu?
You must be kidding me! I'm marry him over and over and over again!
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by eazychi(m): 1:36pm On Jan 16, 2008
Does it still exist ? I think s**ts like that is extinct now
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Blackcat(f): 1:45pm On Jan 16, 2008
Forget all these people saying marriage is based on love and respect in Nigeria marriage involves the whole family.

Secondly, if you marry her, you automatically become an Osu too and all your children and children's children after that. The question is are you ready to become an Osu?

Thirdly, your family will disown you if they too do not want to be classed as Osu's. Think about these questions carefully and answer them before you become an Osu get married

1 Like

Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by saucekid(m): 1:49pm On Jan 16, 2008
then get married to her if you love her
simple
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Albato(m): 1:55pm On Jan 16, 2008
She is an osu? So what? sad
Everyday we complain about racial discrimination and other forms of human degradement. Back home we still cling to ancient unjustified inhumanity. What gives another person a right to label and underate another human. Its like playing God. If you have ever felt bad about tribalism, racial discrmination. If you have ever complained about being marginalised, then you should dump this achaic idea and get on with it if you love her.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Echidime(m): 1:59pm On Jan 16, 2008
Only Demons and Terrorist call a human being created by GOD and OSU.

If Osu exist why is it that when there are making love his Penis does not get locked up inside her?

Or when She cooks for him the food taste delicious like every other woman's food?
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Raimond(m): 2:01pm On Jan 16, 2008
Let me understand something here, I am not ibo,but i want to ask, are the so called osus` not human beings angry
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by sukieboy(f): 2:07pm On Jan 16, 2008
IGBOS have one of the most primitive African culture in modern times.
OSU- Ogun state University come into my mind first.
My brother maybe your brother is not rich. If he is rich, your parents won't say that cos they will certainly loss their feeding money and support.

IGBOS too like money kai
OMO IBO:

guys, in as much as we (youngins) do not believe in 'OSU' SOME of our parents do. this i can testify to. i know a number of people it has happened to

it may not be such an issue especially if your parents and family members are christians but they'd deffo look out for it. this is where maturity and your diplomacy skills come into play.

Them too like segregation.

If you are not Igbo they won't marry you no matter how long u guys have dated.

Beg I don tire for them jare.

Bye Bye pple like them
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by oziomatv(m): 2:08pm On Jan 16, 2008
This is not an issue to discuse in nairaland where mixed culture and tribes are.
        As an Igboman  I do not believe much on OSU but the fact is you've to put in consideration the discrimination the sooo called
             uncivilized villagers will put on you and also the heart attack that will happen to visit your parents.
                   LOVE  has nothing to do with this.

My advice is go straight to your village try to sort things out with the elders talk sence into them, so that they can let you have a happy marriage.
           Christianity fail to sort this out also the govt.
                  Talk to the elders they may have some changes to this. Don't do it your own way, except you want to live in abroad forever.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by oziomatv(m): 2:12pm On Jan 16, 2008
sukieboy:

IGBOS have one of the most primitive African culture in modern times.
OSU- Ogun state University come into my mind first.
My brother maybe your brother is not rich. If he is rich, your parents won't say that because they will certainly loss their feeding money and support.

IGBOS too like money kai
Them too like segregation.

If you are not Igbo they won't marry you no matter how long u guys have dated.

Beg I don tire for them jare.

Bye Bye people like them

Gentleman stop being stupid and talk something like a matured man, this is not a tribalistic topic where you come out with I HATE IGBOS.
If you don't know what the topic is saying short up and listen to others.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by BillGatesFan(m): 2:13pm On Jan 16, 2008
Can I get the contact of the said Osu lady? I will marry her and give meaning to her life and prove to the World especially the family calling her Osu that she is not Osu,I feel sads that a man can listen to his parents at this time of our Century or Generation and believe in this village osu of a thing.

Please I will be very please if I can be help and get in contact to the lady, imagine what she must be going through now,a man she puts all her hope and love on,doubting whether to marry her or not.The man is an Animal,men like him give bad image to manhood.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Epiphany(m): 2:26pm On Jan 16, 2008
HHHmmmm, anyone that wants to marry an 'OSU' should be very strong minded. Even though i am not for that nonsense, it is something that is cultural and cannot be pushed aside just by ignoring it.
I am from a very educated family and before i got married, i received a shocking revelation. My very educated parents (Professors) told me that they were going to check if my wife to be was an 'OSU'.
All that said, i was ready to ignore whatever the outcome was and go ahead with the marriage. Luckily, she was not one of them.
What i am trying to say in essence is that i WAS READY TO GO AGAINST THEM.
Whoever is marrying one of them must be ready to be an outcast, along with his wife, children, children's children etc. He should be ready to receive all kinds of insult, not only from his immediate family, but friends of his family, relatives etc.
It is not an easy thing to do as even the 'OSU' girl he wants to marry should think about what her future husband is going to go through because of her.
, BUT WHAT THE HELL, IF I WAS READY TO DO ALL THAT FOR THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, HE SHOULD DO THE SAME TOO,

1 Like

Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Revive(f): 2:35pm On Jan 16, 2008
From your post I understand that your family and the family of your would be sister in law are Christians.

It is a very shameful thing that some Christians do not know what it means to be Christians. "They" (Christians on quote) hold to what even the pagans a dropping.

It is extremely shameful. Church family friends indeed!  If I am your brother, I will be happy to break this paganish taboo. I will make sure I invite others regarded as Osu(s) and Oru(s) to my wedding and eat and dine with them.

Candies thanks for that comment

I think it is about time that the so called Osu(s) and Oru(s) should receive apology from those who have been insulting them and their generation.

Shameless people! So if Christ was born from one of such families he will be rejected. undecided

Please how can I get in contact with that family you call Osu? I will be glad to shake hands with them, dine and do things with them when visit.  tongue

(I will see whether the whole of Igwe’s Palace will be affected and regarded as  contaminated and Osu)    wink
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 16, 2008
osu so some people are still dumb lipsrsealed
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by eniola1310(f): 2:48pm On Jan 16, 2008
i want to blive those OSUs as they are called are human beings with seven heads and 16 legs!!
if that be the case then i'll reason with his parent,

What the h, l is this osu thing al about !!

walking away pisssed off
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Revive(f): 2:57pm On Jan 16, 2008
If u do not know, according to the way “they” classify Osu, the mere fact that your family is a friend of the so called Osu, means your family is also now classified as Osu. Would u accept that? undecided

If you know the history very well, in those days the Osu(s) do not even go to the same market with others neither were they to shake hands with others talk more of being friends.

I guess that even the whole society (if not the whole world) is already contaminated. wink

Get it clear and send this message to them:
Osu Is Rubish If U Are a real Christain. Christ has scrapped it out long time ago.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by tome1: 3:07pm On Jan 16, 2008
With christ in your life there is nothing like osu .if your peolpe are proving too hard and you believe you have a future with this lady i ll advise you guys get married and stay away from anyone who might discriminate against you.you also need to pray hard cos they might want to do evilto you so they can blame the girl for bringing a curse on you.so draw nearer to God.

By the time you are very successful,they will be the one to come looking for you because success has so many friends and relatives cool
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by oziomatv(m): 3:20pm On Jan 16, 2008
The most interesting part of the story is that the so called OSU people tend to be beautiful and handsome, intelligent and prosperous withing themselves which attract the non Osu to marry them.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by princeonx: 3:23pm On Jan 16, 2008
I thought we're in 2008.

OR
Is it 208BC?

1 Like

Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Lola4eva(f): 3:32pm On Jan 16, 2008
neva heard of the "osu" thing b4 until i saw this thread on nairaland but after reading thru the article and trying to understand what it entails, ive come to the conclusion that its smething that was practised by the forefathers in igbo land. The world is now so civilized nd most of these traditional thingy has virtually been phased out, my advise if ur brother is in luv with his chic and they both believe in God and they know what they want, he shld 4get the osu issue and put a ring on her finger, while also trying to get his parents on his side by educating them that its traditional crap,
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Revive(f): 3:37pm On Jan 16, 2008
to me:

you also need to pray hard because they might want to do evilto you so they can blame the girl for bringing a curse on you.so draw nearer to God.

lol
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by tinamic(f): 3:41pm On Jan 16, 2008
Do you really mean it, It means she attended Ogun State University, so your brother should be glad he is getting married to an OSUITE cool

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Arochukwu Disobedience. / Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? / Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.