Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,198 members, 7,953,730 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:39 AM

African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks (8232 Views)

Ghana Is Too Poor To Be Called A Country!! / ‘I Don’t Deserve To Be Called A Religious Bigot’ Says Aregbesola. / Wow! British Muslims Now Want Sharia Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by chidebe: 9:24am On Feb 15, 2012
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by phreakabit(m): 9:56am On Feb 15, 2012
THANK GOODNESS!!!!! Why go for Black? I thought NIGGER would have fitted seamlessly. Just in case you haven't noticed, these black americans are the ones giving "Africans (in reference to dark skinned people in general)" a bad name.

They are naturally LAZY ! Laziness is embedded in their DNA

Dirty!

Mannerless!

And would rather die than read a book.

All they ever do is sit at home, wait for the welfare cheques, eat fried chicken, drink Kool-Aid, watch some hip-hop video / p0rn, come up with some silly dance routine, play video games, talk about girls of different races and which one has the biggest azz, pick up their gun - which btw is a must have for every NIGGER, go out and shoot someone A "black" man preferably, return home sleep. . . . . and then repeat the cycle the next day. Little reason they are the poorest race in the USA today, despite the endless opportunities available there. Yes the job opportunities are not as much as it used to be, but tell me how are the Latinos, Asians, Indians and Pakistanis finding/getting jobs.

1 Like

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by GWslim(f): 10:16am On Feb 15, 2012
Blacks without affiliation to the poor continent of Africa.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 15, 2012
chidebe:

I just heard on BBC that African-Americans now to be called Blacks as they don't want anything to do with Africa. My take: THIS IS AN ACUTE CASE OF IDENTITY CRISIS. Meanwhile, the same report quotes a Nigerian diasporan as wanting to be called CONTINENTAL AFRICAN, whatever that means!

Wouldn't it have been useful if you had provided an authorititative source for this information - which the NL commentariat can appraise - rather than rushing to diagnose AN ACUTE CASE OF IDENTITY CRISIS?

Note: "I just heard on BBC" does not cut it.

1 Like

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 15, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Wouldn't it have been useful if you had provided an authorititative source for this information - which the NL commentariat can appraise - rather than rushing to diagnose AN ACUTE CASE OF IDENTITY CRISIS?

Note: "I just heard on BBC" does not cut it.

Very right
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by sirjec(m): 12:08pm On Feb 15, 2012
That is not the problem of Nigeria. Let us unite and solve our problems in Africa and thos coward that ran away that are ashamed of us now will be forced to visit with visa
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Arosa(m): 12:11pm On Feb 15, 2012
If they like they can call themselves American-monkeys. what is my own?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by exotik: 1:13pm On Feb 15, 2012
chidebe:

I just heard on BBC that African-Americans now to be called Blacks as they don't want anything to do with Africa. My take: THIS IS AN ACUTE CASE OF IDENTITY CRISIS. Meanwhile, the same report quotes a Nigerian diasporan as wanting to be called CONTINENTAL AFRICAN, whatever that means!

i dont why africans especially nigerians of igbo-extract worry about what african-americans want to be called. instead of you to worry about why ikwerres, ukwuanis, ikas do not want to be called igbos, na african-americans "identity crisis" u wan carry for head. haha, funny.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by oyewolejos(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
phreakabit:

THANK GOODNESS!!!!! Why go for Black? I thought NIGGER would have fitted seamlessly. Just in case you haven't noticed, these black americans are the ones giving "Africans (in reference to dark skinned people in general)" a bad name.

Dirty!

Mannerless!

All they ever do is sit at home, wait for the welfare cheques, eat fried chicken, drink Kool-Aid, watch some hip-hop video / p0rn, come up with some silly dance routine, play video games, talk about girls of different races and which one has the biggest azz, pick up their gun - which btw is a must have for every NIGGER, go out and shoot someone A "black" man preferably, return home sleep. . . . . and then repeat the cycle the next day. Little reason they are the poorest race in the USA today, despite the endless opportunities available there. Yes the job opportunities are not as much as it used to be, but tell me how are the Latinos, Asians, Indians and Pakistanis finding/getting jobs.

Maybe the ones u are rolling it.
It will be myopic to generalize any race.
We have some lazy Nigerians too. Leave it or take it AA made it possible for the rest of the black race including me and u to come over here. They fought for that freedom u are enjoying today when u were still in Africa battling civil war.
This is the most ignorant post i have ever seen on this forum.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Yeske2(m): 2:06pm On Feb 15, 2012
@OP, any link or source?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by babsjnr(m): 3:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
Good for them
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 15, 2012
Being the only dark skin person in my clinical research, these ppl were actually laughing (professionally) about it a week ago.
One even said "I think black is an okay term now" when we were looking for a generalized term for people of dark skin color of African heritage (not only AA and Africans are dark, Indians are also dark etc).

AA are just making themselves a laughing stock. Unserious group of people.  undecided  Well, it's better for me, as an African woman sha, now I can say I'm African without feeling amongst the "black " population. LOL!  cool
Mehn, do I love speaking a non-english language anywhere I go, the urgent need to separate myself from these people just eats me up!! angry angry

As for Continental Africans. . .  you ppl better not start with that rubbish. Continental ko international ni.

1 Like

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 15, 2012
Have you guys noticed that most successful Africans killed in diaspora is usually by one of these useless African Americans? angry angry
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Being the only dark skin person in my clinical research, these ppl were actually laughing (professionally) about it a week ago.
One even said "I think black is an okay term now" when we were looking for a generalized term for people of dark skin color of African heritage (not only AA and Africans are dark, Indians are also dark etc).

AA are just making themselves a laughing stock. Unserious group of people.  undecided  Well, it's better for me, as an African woman sha, now I can say I'm African without feeling amongst the "black " population. LOL!  cool
Mehn, do I love speaking a non-english language anywhere I go, the urgent need to separate myself from these people just eats me up!!  angry angry

As for Continental Africans. . .  you ppl better not start with that rubbish. Continental ko international ni.

And when the same appellation (unserious group of people) is applied to Nigerians or, indeed, Africans of the darker hue, you'd be to first to cry racism? Such hypocrisy, eh?

Why it is that green-carded Nigerians like you never speak of the ills which, for generation after generation, have blighted the lives of AA kindred, while finding it convenient to deliberate ad infinitum about their arrested development?

When you talk about the "urgent need to separate myself from these people" eating you up, do you recognise how ethnocentric you sound?

No need to explain yourself, madam, for it is clear that in spite of your acquired education and travels, you remain essentially an ethnic irredentist with base primordial instincts angry
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by redjasper1: 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2012
Good mercy people it feels like inglewood in '92 before the gang truce up in here!

Look, there are many African Americans who for Africa is nothing more than a distant memory and a place that 'jesus' saw fit to remove their righteous forefathers from. If those group of African Americans don't want to be associated with Africa fine it's their loss and they are free to make that choice, why bother getting yourself upset over someone's else loss doesn't make any sense  undecided? On the other hand there are quite a few African Americans who enjoy being recognized by their place of heritage, makes little sense to categorize an entire people based off the choices of a few others. (unless you're just trolling like most agents do on black sites) Personally, I am still waiting for a knock on the door or a phone call from the BBC I'd be more than happy to express to them my identity as an AA. AFRAKAN in Amerikkka.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by phreakabit(m): 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2012
oyewolejos:

We have some lazy Nigerians too. Leave it or take it AA made it possible for the rest of the black race including me and u to come over here. They fought for that freedom u are enjoying today when u were still in Africa battling civil war.

Point of correction. I never battled the civil war. Heck, I wasn't even born then! By the way, It was and is their duty to fight for their freedom. BTW Speak for yourself when you say black race. There is nothing black about me. As a matter of fact, I consider it a derogatory term, when used in reference to my person. I AM AN AFRICAN, OK? Simple as that. Also, since you decided to reply my post and ultimately, label it ignorant, pointing ut the many achievements of African "BLACK" Americans, which I must say outside sports and entertainment, would only take 5 lines of writing space to document. How come you intentionally failed to tackle the question I raised, and I repeat : HOW ON EARTH DID THEY END UP AT THE BOTTOM (or should I say below the bottom) OF THE FINANCIAL TABLE/CHART OF RACES IN AMERICA?

Obviously I am ignorant, and you are enlightened. So please do us all a favour and explain how that happened and "WHY"?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by phreakabit(m): 5:30pm On Feb 15, 2012
red jasper:

Good mercy people it feels like inglewood in '92 before the gang truce up in here!

Look, there are many African Americans who for Africa is nothing more than a distant memory and a place that 'jesus' saw fit to remove their righteous forefathers from. If those group of African Americans don't want to be associated with Africa fine it's their loss and they are free to make that choice, why bother getting yourself upset over someone's else loss doesn't make any sense  undecided? On the other hand there are quite a few African Americans who enjoy being recognized by their place of heritage, makes little sense to categorize an entire people based off the choices of a few others. (unless you're just trolling like most agents do on black sites) Personally, I am still waiting for a knock on the door or a phone call from the BBC I'd be more than happy to express to them my identity as an AA. [size=18pt]AFRAKAN in Amerikkka.   [/size] 

RFLMAO!!!!! I am kinda shocked now. Are you sure you don't read minds? I and my brother always make jokes about that : Referring to ones self as African IN America, as opposed to African American. RFLMAO!!! I just love it, I don't know why . grin
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
phreakabit:

Point of correction. I never battled the civil war. Heck, I wasn't even born then! By the way, It was and is their duty to fight for their freedom. BTW Speak for yourself when you say black race. There is nothing black about me. As a matter of fact, I consider it a derogatory term, when used in reference to my person. I AM AN AFRICAN, OK? Simple as that. Also, since you decided to reply my post and ultimately, label it ignorant, pointing ut the many achievements of African "BLACK" Americans, which I must say outside sports and entertainment, would only take 5 lines of writing space to document. How come you intentionally failed to tackle the question I raised, and I repeat : HOW ON EARTH DID THEY END UP AT THE BOTTOM (or should I say below the bottom) OF THE FINANCIAL TABLE/CHART OF RACES IN AMERICA?

Obviously I am ignorant, and you are enlightened. So please do us all a favour and explain how that happened and "WHY"?

How did Black Africans in South Africa end up at the bottom of the pile?

I really find it hard to fathom how someone who's had some exposure to life in the West can ask this question?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by DonSegmond(m): 6:24pm On Feb 15, 2012
Wow.  How ignorant of you to make such a sweeping and tasteless statement about a whole group of people.    I've heard people make such statements about Africans too, about how Africans are unintelligent, lazy, can't develop or lead themselves, all corrupt, can't even farm and feed themselves, ravaged by HIV, and so on and so forth.  I shake my heads at such ignorant and mean spirited people, to see you engage in the same reckless style of rant is nothing short of disappointing.   In every group of people, there are those who are good, and there are those who are bad.

The very idea that "African Americans" want to be called blacks is funny in itself, because it's a generalization that has no merit.   Seriously, did all Black Americans of African descents get up in union and make such a statement or was it just a minority who had the platform of mass media?   The Original Poster did not place a link to an authentic or recognized source for his claim.  For all we know he could have made it up, but even if he didn't.  It would take a link to and perhaps a claim to the NAACP for such a conclusion to be reached and even at that, no organization can present all people.

Listen, phreakabit.  I have no idea who you are, but one thing that I'm sure and certain is that you are a man.   You might be young, you might be old, but nevertheless a man.   So I urge you, from one man to another, for you to carry yourself and conduct yourself as one.    To reign in your emotions and never let it get the best of you.

Grow up my brother.
phreakabit:

Dirty!

Mannerless!

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by DonSegmond(m): 6:27pm On Feb 15, 2012
oyewolejos:

I wholeheartedly support you and share the same exact sentiments. This is an open forum, and we are grown ups, and I would expect that we can carry own as civilized folks when engaged in political discourse.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
eGuerrilla:

And when the same appellation (unserious group of people) is applied to Nigerians or, indeed, Africans of the darker hue, you'd be to first to cry racism? Such hypocrisy, eh?

Why it is that green-carded Nigerians like you never speak of the ills which, for generation after generation, have blighted the lives of AA kindred, while finding it convenient to deliberate ad infinitum about their arrested development?

When you talk about the "urgent need to separate myself from these people" eating you up, do you recognise how ethnocentric you sound?

No need to explain yourself, madam, for it is clear that in spite of your acquired education and travels, you remain essentially an ethnic irredentist with base primordial instincts angry

Is something wrong with this one?

Mtcheeewwww angry
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by ak47mann(m): 9:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
Black American should be thanking Africans for giving them the first black president,if not the Kenya student by now they will still be slaves in America, cool
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by DonSegmond(m): 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2012
ak47mann:

Black American should be thanking Africans for giving them the first black president,if not the Kenya student by now they will still be slaves in America,  cool

Wow, Wow, and more Wow. shocked
By that account.

Africans should be thanking the white man for coming to Africa and exposing them to the Western ways and Christianity, if not for the white man by now, Africans will still be savages, running around naked, killing twin babies, engaging in human sacrifices, cannibalism, and living in mud huts.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Abagworo(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2012
Igbos and African Americans have so much similarity in some aspects that amuses me sometimes.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by phreakabit(m): 10:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
Abagworo:

Igbos and African Americans have so much similarity in some aspects that amuses me sometimes.

Dude please just keep quiet. . . And stop sounding like a drunk imbecil3. Similarities with those lazy breeders? Are you even serious. Those guys make me ashamed of having the same skin colour with them. Igbos are a refined and dignified people. Mentioning us and them on the same sentence is an insult.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by phreakabit(m): 11:03pm On Feb 15, 2012
At all those challenging my post. Please tell me outside sports and entertainment what else has the Black American achieved?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by executinal(m): 11:10pm On Feb 15, 2012
any differnce undecided
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Rgp92: 11:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
Good for us Africans. No more taking their sh.it.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 16, 2012
phreakabit:

At all those challenging my post. Please tell me outside sports and entertainment what else has the Black American achieved?

George Edward Alcorn
[img]http://listverse.files./2007/10/nasaga-tm.jpg?w=300&h=226[/img]
Physicist George Edward Alcorn, Jr. is best known for his development of the imaging x-ray spectrometer. An x-ray spectrometer assists scientists in identifying a material by producing an x-ray spectrum of it, allowing it to be examined visually. This is especially advantageous when the material is not able to be broken down physically. Alcorn patented his “method for fabricating an imaging x-ray spectrometer” in 1984. He was cited for his method’s innovative use of the thermomigration of aluminum. For this achievement he was recognized with the NASA/GSFC (Goddard Space Flight Center) Inventor of the Year Award.

Patricia Bath

[img]http://listverse.files./2007/10/bathpatricia-big-tm.jpg?w=223&h=300[/img]
Dr. Patricia Bath, an ophthalmologist from New York, but living in Los Angeles when she received her patent, became the first African American woman doctor to receive a patent for a medical invention. Patricia Bath’s patent (no. 4,744,360), a method for removing cataract lenses, transformed eye surgery, using a laser device making the procedure more accurate (Cataract Laserphaco Probe). The probe, patented in 1988, is designed to use the power of a laser to quickly and painlessly vaporize cataracts from patients’ eyes, replacing the more common method of using a grinding, drill-like device to remove the afflictions. With another invention, Bath was able to restore sight to people who had been blind for over 30 years.

John Thompson

John Thompson invented lingo programming used in Macromedia Director and Shockwave. According John Thompson, "Lingo is a scripting language in the Macromedia Director authoring tool. The content created with Macromedia Director is delivered on the World Wide Web as shockwave movies."

Gerald A. Lawson

Anyone who owns a Playstation, Wii or Xbox should know Lawson's name. He created the first home video game system that used interchangeable cartridges, offering gamers a chance to play a variety of games and giving video game makers a way to earn profits by selling individual games, a business model that exists today. Lawson, who died last year at age 70, is just beginning to be recognized by the gaming industry for his pioneering work.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 12:50am On Feb 16, 2012
Btw, I am being very conservative here. I could spam this thread with inventors going back more than 200 years.

And what about the liberal arts?
What about architecture? http://architecture.about.com/od/greatarchitects/tp/blackarchitects.htm
What about notable historians, anthropologists, and Egyptologists?
What about politics?

Do you get the picture?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 12:56am On Feb 16, 2012
African American are just that African Americans, because they originated from Africa.

If they choose to call themselves black, no problem.

If their intention is to reject Africa then they are really rejecting themselves.

We cannot also reject or insult them because doing so, is tantamount to rejecting and insulting ourselves.

We need to celebrate each other's successes as it our own.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by dayokanu(m): 1:19am On Feb 16, 2012
I see some ignorant posts on here.

From the same people that have Boko haram as their countrymen or have useless politicians like IBB, OBJ, Retardeen Jonathan, Idi Amin etc as their leaders

And now think they have the guts to speak about another people.

These are the same people from the continent ravaged by hu8nger, HIV and other disease, Just because you were given a visa you now feel you can trash talk other ppl

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Was Party To National Good Governance Tour Agreement / Amaechi - 2015 Elections May End-up Like NGF Poll / IG Of Police, Idris Visits Ambode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.