Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe (15735 Views)

A Housemaster Injures SS3 Student In Ogun State(graphic Photos) / Principal Impregnates SS3 Student, Rushes Her For Wedding - Universal Reporters / Started ICAN In SS3, Bags First-Class At 20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2012
Shinor:

@Samstyler. You are the biggest fool of the Millenium.
Just one example. China has the largest number of English as a Second Language ESL teachers working there because they have found out that English is the world's accepted medium of communication. Infact once you qualify as an ESOL teacher, you look to the far east for a job. Be quoting baseless poo there.
So the boy will write WAEC in Igbo? Ok now go on, mumu like you

you and many others just sit in the cosy confines of wherever it is you are now, armed with your sophisticated IT devices; lap-tops, smartphones and androids, pontificating about this issues. ''ss3 cant speak English'' and all gibberish blabs. just take a short time visit to these schools and try engaging their teachers in a simple dialogue using plain English - i bet you'll waste no time procuring tablets of paracetamol after the conversation because the grammatical blunders you'll be inundated with will be more than enough to give you brain damage. what do you expect from such a school. super-fly students abi?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by jidewin(m): 1:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
Just as some peeps have voiced their opinion and still doing same on BB,The teacher SHOULD NOT have asked the boy to STRIP, and upon refusal FLOGGED him. HE could have as well TELL him to live and come back with his parents.Lets be realistic,If it was your son or daughter that was flogged that way (with visible bruises all over his back),most of us on nairaland would have brought the roof down that same hour ( i know i would).

And as for speaking pidgin english,come on,wetin bad for dere ; smiley smiley? how many of them at the oyo house of assembly can speak concise,clear and standard english or make a statement without additional Yoruba accent overtaking the proper pronunciation e.g EIGHT as HEIT, HOUR as AWA, THE as DE
Those remarks made against that boy regarding his PRESENTATION by the lower house member is just based on TRIBAL intolerance and cynism please.

"IGBO boy and im papa,rack yoruba man for im papa soil.Eewo orisa!"
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 1:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
jidewin:

Just as some peeps have voiced their opinion and still doing same on BB,The teacher SHOULD NOT have asked the boy to STRIP, and upon refusal FLOGGED him. HE could have as well TELL him to live and come back with his parents.Lets be realistic,If it was your son or daughter that was flogged that way (with visible bruises all over his back),most of us on nairaland would have brought the roof down that same hour ( i know i would).

And as for speaking pidgin english,come on,wetin bad for dere ; smiley smiley? how many of them at the oyo house of assembly can speak concise,clear and standard english or make a statement without additional Yoruba accent overtaking the proper pronunciation e.g EIGHT as HEIT, HOUR as AWA, THE as DE
Those remarks made against that boy regarding his PRESENTATION by the lower house member is just based on TRIBAL intolerance and cynism please.

"IGBO boy and im papa,rack yoruba man for im papa soil.Eewo orisa!"

hehehehehehhehhehehe, grin grin grin grin grin grin

HEIT and AWA! grin grin grin grin grin

i just tie for them o!

most of them presiding at the house , are there with forged certificate i'm sure! grin grin

yet NL no gree relax. it's a failed system in its entirety and what you all are seeing now is the dividend of a failed system.

FULL-STOP!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
pato405:

ëGuerilla:

a conjecture which could could likely be the case. a soft answer they say ----- ''turns away wrath''

What soft answer are you talking about?

As a student who found often found himself at the mercy of tyrannical teachers for no more than asking uncomfortable questions, I know what it feels like to be emasculated.
I have already declared where I stand on this issue vis-a-vis interventionism, so what soft answer are you banging on about?

If you must know, I have had to intervene in schools in near-similar situations like this, for folks who would rather avoid direct confrontation, in at least half a dozen different cases over the past 5 years.  In every single one, the belligerent teacher was seriously disciplined.

As someone who got teachers given to excess dealt with by the time I could stand on my own in form 3; and sadistic lecturers to atone for heavy-handedness much later on in life, you can bet the "soft option" is always furthest from my mind.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
I marvel at people saying good English skills are not enough to determine someone's eduactional achievements. They come as far as naming countries such as China, Russia, France, etc.

Now let me ask: in what language are subjects taught in school in these countries and in what language are we taught in Nigeria?

What excuse has an SS3 student, who has been supposedly speaking English since he was born, both at school and home, got to suck this much?

I finished my primary school in Nigeria before I moved to a non-English speaking country. I have been here for more than 12 years and yes, I managed to learn English myself, because studying English for 2-4 hours a week wouldn't have made me a pro.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 1:30pm On Feb 16, 2012
michelin89:

I marvel at people saying good English skills are not enough to determine someone's eduactional achievements. They come as far as naming countries such as China, Russia, France, etc.

Now let me ask: in what language are subjects taught in school in these countries and in what language are we taught in Nigeria?

What excuse has an SS3 student, who has been supposedly speaking English since he was born, both at school and home, got to suck this much?

I finished my primary school in Nigeria before I moved to a non-English speaking country. I have been here for more than 12 years and yes, I managed to learn English myself, because studying English for 2-4 hours a week wouldn't have made me a pro.

you have no point!

i did study in Nigeria, but sorry, becos the better part of my education in primary and secondary school and my neighbourhood didn't help issues either, i was taught in vernacular if you must know and lived among people who constantly roared in vernacular. I was just fortunate to mingle with some few friends at church. they attended better schools and that was just about enough with self effort to polished my expression.

I'm in Enland now, and that has by no means affected my fluency and articulation in english. call me 'a '' supercilious self acclaimed fire of eloquence'' or whatever name you deem fit.

my point - not all schools teach their students in english. make una no blame d boy!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 16, 2012
michelin89:

While it is difficult to contest the points you made here, I would make bold to say something went wrong in the student's early schooling.
A 19/20year old in SS3 is not the norm, and this for me is what makes the teacher's action particularly despicable.

I know of family friend who had to start secondary school, many years ago, at the age of 17.
With this particular case, an acrimonious divorce between parents as well as a sustained period of poor health meant  resulted in stunted intellectual growth.

Now, here is my question: how are special needs attended to in our school?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by nomorename(f): 1:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by gulfer: 1:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
If it is proven  beyond doubt that the teacher was highhanded then he should be punished, and if it is also proven that the student does not merit being a SSS 3-WAEC candidate, he should be demoted forthwith.
To think he was registered by someone in the teaching service of Oyo State to increase the WAEC failure rate or to possibly cheat his way through with his father's support; go to the tertiary institution, buy his way through and be enlisted into the customs service while the father is still in service so as to be promoted through the ranks using his influence.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 1:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
eGuerrilla:

What soft answer are you talking about?

As a student who found often found himself at the mercy of tyrannical teachers for no more than asking uncomfortable questions, I know what it feels like to be emasculated.
I have already declared where I stand on this issue vis-a-vis interventionism, so what soft answer are you banging on about?

If you must know, I have had to intervene in schools in near-similar situations like this, for folks who would rather avoid direct confrontation, in at least half a dozen different cases over the past 5 years.  In every single one, the belligerent teacher was seriously disciplined.

As someone who got teachers given to excess dealt with by the time I could stand on my own in form 3; and sadistic lecturers to atone for heavy-handedness much later on in life, you can bet the "soft option" is always furthest from my mind.

you are just oscillating recklessly in an astutely polarised debate as this. please nail your colours to the mast let me know where you stand so i can disect & digest your point!

what exactly is your argument??
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2012
pato405:

you are just oscillating recklessly in an astutely polarised debate as this. please nail your colours to the mast let me know where you stand so i can disect & digest your point!

what exactly is your argument??

Clearly a small problem of comprehension here, I think.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 1:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Clearly a small problem of comprehension here, I think.

a virtual media as this with inadequacies stemming from the loss of visual cues, isn't devoid of such misunderstandings. it's just better to be as explicit as possible. you sound like you are in support of the teachers irrationality then an arbitrary swing to supporting the fathers'punishment.

anyway, lets leave it there.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by velo10: 1:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
The boy's story against the teacher is obviously a bad-scripted lie. I can only believe that if the teacher is gay or why else would he want the boy's pants stripped down?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
pato405:

a virtual media as this with inadequacies stemming from the loss of visual cues, isn't devoid of such misunderstandings. it's just better to be as explicit as possible. you sound like you are in support of the teachers irrationality then an arbitrary swing to supporting the fathers'punishment.

anyway, lets leave it there.

The following was my very first post here today, which, by the way, was in support of the view expressed by Okija_juju

Given the circumstances which have now come to light, I certainly would have intervened as this father did, although without bringing the good office of my employers into disrepute.
It is now clear this teacher set out to humiliate an over-aged student in a most disapproving manner.
The intent was undoubtedly to inflict as much pain as possible, as opposed to rehabilitating errant behaviour.

That you found my remark about not bringing the good office of my employers (let's say Nigeria's Customs and Excise) into disrepute, I think, is most unfortunate.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
pato405:

you have no point!

i did study in Nigeria, but sorry, becos the better part of my education in primary and secondary school and my neighbourhood didn't help issues either, i was taught in vernacular if you must know and lived among people who constantly roared in vernacular. I was just fortunate to mingle with some few friends at church. they attended better schools and that was just about enough with self effort to polished my expression.

I'm in Enland now, and that has by no means affected my fluency and articulation in english. call me 'a '' supercilious self acclaimed fire of eloquence''  or whatever name you deem fit.

my point - not all schools teach their students in english. make una no blame d boy!

Ahahahhahahah I laugh in vernacular myself. How is that supposed to influnce your fluency in English? Where else can you learn English if not with the English themselves? I nor understand wetin you dey yarn.

I left Nigeria as early as an infant. I struggled to learn good English, because my mum was and is still not a pro, my adoptive dad didn't even speak English and at school and everywhere I went, only the official language in this country was spoken. But today I can compete with students who study in America or in England. Even those who come here after graduating from secondary school or Univeristy in Nigeria still respect me in this aspect.

Fact is we have to accept the boy is not a very smart person. If you and I could manage to improve our skills despite the hostile environments we found ourselves in, why couldn't/can't this young student do the same? And what is he still doing in SS3 at the age of 20? How many times has he been failed? Does he look like someone who is willing to leave the rugged life he is living, enjoying the privileges granted to his father, to move with decent people who can better his knowledge 360° round?

Some people dull and nothing can be done about that. I do agree being good at English is not the same with being smart or wise, because I have come across a lot of people who express themselves very well but express absolutely nothing.

The education in Nigeria might be bad up to a certain level, but let's not neglect an important aspect: nothing can be taught if there is no effort by the students to learn. Just saying.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by 10Billion(m): 1:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
@ Okija-JuJu, tank U so much bro, if a teacher treat my son like an animal, I will treat d same teacher as such. Infact, pls order ur next three beer on me, I'm gonna pay. I have N10b to squander.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by hannahmay(f): 2:01pm On Feb 16, 2012
Hmm, God help Nigeria n Nigerians.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 2:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
michelin89:

Ahahahhahahah I laugh in vernacular myself. How is that supposed to influnce your fluency in English? Where else can you learn English [/b]if not with the English themselves? [b]I nor understand wetin you dey yarn.

I left Nigeria as early as an infant. I struggled to learn good English, because my mum was and is still not a pro, my adoptive dad didn't even speak English and at school and everywhere I went, only the official language in this country was spoken. But today I can compete with students who study in America or in England. Even those who come here after graduating from secondary school or Univeristy in Nigeria still respect me in this aspect.

Fact is we have to accept the boy is not a very smart person. If you and I could manage to improve our skills despite the hostile environments we found ourselves in, why couldn't/can't this young student do the same? And what is he still doing in SS3 at the age of 20? How many times has he been failed? Does he look like someone who is willing to leave the rugged life he is living, enjoying the privileges granted to his father, to move with decent people who can better his knowledge 360° round?

Some people dull and nothing can be done about that. I do agree being good at English is not the same with being smart or wise, because I have come across a lot of people who express themselves very well but express absolutely nothing.

The education in Nigeria might be bad up to a certain level, but let's not neglect an important aspect: nothing can be taught if there is no effort by the students to learn. Just saying.

at the bold words:

I'm not learning anymore, grin grin grin, i'm saturated. it's time for me to give back, hence my research in England is in progress as we speak. I don tire to learn, make me too teach others. Soyinka isn't an Britico, he neither attended a fantastic secondary school school nor learnt Literature in England. Today he is a globally acknowledged icon for his original contributions to literature. I'm not trying to be a 'soyinka' o! and by no means insinuating that but lets emulate such academic exploits.

You left Nigeria as an infant. little wonder you are oblivious of what is obtainable in Nigeria. i'm not bemused in any way.

i don NOT support your argument that the boy isn't smart. if we wasn't smart, he wouldn't have stimulated his father to spearhead the fight against public oppression, suppression and tyranny. have you ever been stripped and flogged publicly as a student in Europe or wherever it is you are now?

his inability to express himself fluently isnt becos he's a dumb student, it just shows that if you put garbage in, the output will always be garbage.

his a product of the school and the environment. there are many like that. even in the high seats of government.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 2:10pm On Feb 16, 2012
sorry at the typos.'he not we ''he is

please
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
It's a disgrace for an ss3 student and his father
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
Never mind. Typos are normal.

Anyways I rest my case. Na him na him students dey everywhere.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pcicero(m): 2:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
Rastamann:

I can also understand why Ibrahim Bolomope took it personal. He was a former teacher, NUT and NLC president of Oyo state.

'Was the boy the only one punished? He went to call the father because he was a custom officer. What about those with no father or whose fathers are artisans? Inasmuch as I dislike the use of corporal punishment in schools, we should not support such acts of indiscipline exhibited by the boy and his custom officer father.'

I'll not like to be quoted out of context. I was only highlighting Hon. (Comrade) Bolomope's profile to understand why he had to side with the teacher and that has nothing to do with his tribe. Being a former classroom teacher, he would have been faced with similar situations.

I have not condoned the teacher's action in any way and I think it is irresponsible journalism at its best to have left out the teacher's account. The result of that has given room for all manners of conjectures here.

The tribal warlords can throw up all kinds of tantrums. But I still insist that the father behaved in an irresponsible manner.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 2:21pm On Feb 16, 2012
[/quote][quote author=eGuerrilla link=topic=871846.msg10208582#msg10208582 date=1329396837]
The following was my very first post here today, which, by the way, was in support of the view expressed by Okija_juju

That you found my remark about not bringing the good office of my employers (let's say Nigeria's Customs and Excise) into disrepute, I think, is most unfortunate.

guy, no vex abeg.

i must have inadvertently missed out your comment. there's has been a flurry of interesting comments here and you are quite right. but you see,  we all sometimes go beyond realms of rationality into intransigence only to regret our actions subsequently.

i'm sure the lad's ''old man'' never knew things would degenerate that far. both parties actually over-reacted. though i still stand on my point that students also deserve just a little regard from teachers.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
@pato405,

No offence taken.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by denvers: 2:39pm On Feb 16, 2012
i also heard d teacher speak on splash fm, he wasn't so fluent in english, infact he was often speakn in yoruba.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by wellmax(m): 2:56pm On Feb 16, 2012
Why are you all ranting here, we only heard one side of the story. Remember the guy in question wasn't the only one punished and I tell you no teacher in his right senses will strip a student. The guy must have done something else to provoke the teacher or he's not just saying the truth to gain symphaty, and regrettably he's winning NLers τ̅☺ his side. Use your brains guys.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by chmod777: 3:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
[size=16pt]Nigerians at home and inferiority complex about English. Why cant the English communicate in Ibadan language. I am very optimistic that the performances of Nigerians in academics, offices, presentations, communications will be much better if we stick to local languages just same way it is done in China, Japan, Europe and most Arab nations.
We still feel inferior and still believe our languages are, WHAT A SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
for ur information b4 u crucify me, I leave in Europe.
[/size]
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 16, 2012
chmod777:

Nigerians at home and inferiority complex about English. Why cant the English communicate in Ibadan language. I am very optimistic that the performances of Nigerians in academics, offices, presentations, communications will be much better if we stick to local languages just same way it is done in China, Japan, Europe and most Arab nations.
We still feel inferior and still believe our languages are, WHAT A SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
for ur information b4 u crucify me, I leave in Europe.

Thank you!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Okijajuju1(m): 3:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
pcicero:

Quote:
'Responding to a question by the Speaker, Chukuebuka, former student of Imo State Community School who joined United Senior Secondary School last year, said that he was not the only student punished for misconduct that day but he was the only one that violently reacted to the punishment'

While it would be absurd for anyone to support brutality or molestation in the guise of punishment, I believe that the above statement is self-indicting.
1.He was not the only student punished on that day.
2. There is no record that the cane was doubled when it got to his turn.

3. The way he reacted to the teacher would have prompted the severity of his punishment IMHO.

My mother was a teacher. Though I would say she was not fond of flogging students. But some students knowing they have powerful and influential parents can be too hot to handle.

Moreso, how can anyone justify his father's response? He brought about 10 servicemen with guns who shot sporadically into the air to scare the whole school.
Not done with that, he ordered his son to beat up his teacher in retaliation. Haba!
What stops him from reporting the matter to higher authorities since he felt his ward was treated unjustly?

Some of this paramilitary men are even worse than soldiers in their reasoning.
Would that boy ever respect any teacher in his life?
His father has sown a venomous seed into his psyche and I can only hope that he reaps from it.

Erm. . . .

Just beacuse the other students didnt react in the same way that this particular child did still dosent make the teachers deed right. The other students may not have reacted because their spirits have been broken and they dont have a voice to speak.

The article says it there. In the boys testimony of the accounts of that day, the teacher doubled the cane and floged the boy even after he had fallen to the ground, he kept on flogging. That points to malicious intent.

- How did he react?! By crying, rolling on the floor, refusing to be humiliated by being stripped naked in front of the whole school and going home to call his parents as the principal had asked?! Please explain what he did wrong that you wouldnt have done?

The father was wrong to have allowed his men fire off shots in a school full of children. He was also wrong to have made the son beat the teacher, but I have no qualms with the fact that the father actually got the teacher beaten up, because well and truly thats what he deserves. If we had a judiciary that worked then I would have sugested he sued, but you and I knw that by the tie the case gets resolved, the boy would be married.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by otokx(m): 3:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
The state should stop automatically paying the fees of SS3 students.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Okijajuju1(m): 3:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
otokx:

The state should stop automatically paying the fees of SS3 students.

I agree!!

Univeristy education is not for everyone. . . . I have always said this
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by emmatok(m): 3:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

Erm. . . .

Just beacuse the other students didnt react in the same way that this particular child did still dosent make the teachers deed right. The other students may not have reacted because their spirits have been broken and they dont have a voice to speak.

The article says it there. In the boys testimony of the accounts of that day, the teacher doubled the cane and floged the boy even after he had fallen to the ground, he kept on flogging. That points to malicious intent.

- How did he react?! By crying, rolling on the floor, refusing to be humiliated by being stripped Unclad in front of the whole school and going home to call his parents as the principal had asked?! Please explain what he did wrong that you wouldnt have done?

The father was wrong to have allowed his men fire off shots in a school full of children. He was also wrong to have made the son beat the teacher, but I have no qualms with the fact that the father actually got the teacher beaten up, because well and truly thats what he deserves. If we had a judiciary that worked then I would have sugested he sued, but you and I knw that by the tie the case gets resolved, the boy would be married.

WTF,

Except LAGOS, Their is not law that says teachers should not beat student, neither is any other wise.

But the school need the to use their desecration in discipline their student.

The teacher might be partially wrong in his actions, but kid is in his custody so he has the right to discipline him,

But that father is an animal and he should dismissed from the FORCE for that action.  

And that boy should be sent back to IMO were he can get free education for Rogers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Check NECO 2019 June/july Result With Your Mobile Phone / Host Of Abia Children's Quiz Competition, Queen Irene Onwuka Speaks On Impact / 7 Documents To Have Before Applying For Undergraduate Scholarships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.