Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,088 members, 7,953,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:01 PM

British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster (673 Views)

Saraki Hired Uboh, Convicted Credit Card Fraudster, To Smear EFCC-SaharaReporter / Nigeria Loses 40 % Of Generated Electricity To Theft, Says Expert / Suspected Nigerian Fraudster Arrested In Dubai Over US$2 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster by solaugo(m): 6:53am On Feb 16, 2012
A divorcee was tricked into sending £40,000 to a Nigerian fraudster she met over the internet.

Vicky Fowkes, 59, decided to start dating online in early summer 2010 and by August she was sending money through ‘moneygrams’ to a man in Nigeria she believed was a charming Briton called John Hawkins.

By November 2010 the man, who claimed he was an engineer with his own property business, had received nearly £40,000.

But Fowkes’ hope of love was shattered when the police visited her home in Tewkesbury, Worcestershire, and revealed the romance was a scam concocted by an internet fraudster.

The mother-of-two said, “I put my trust in this person and I was beginning to start a relationship with him, but now the whole affair has had a devastating effect on my life. I have been humiliated and have lost my self-respect.”

Fowkes, a self-employed child care consultant, began sending money to Nigeria in August 2010 after her internet lover failed to visit her at Heathrow after telling her he had booked a flight.

She told Telegraph.co.uk, “He was due to come for a visit in August but he wasn’t on the flight and then when he rang later that day he said they stopped him at customs to do with tax issues with his business. Two weeks later he started asking me for money.”

The man masquerading as John Hawkins claimed he was being fined by the government for the tax that he owed.

But West Mercia Police visited Fowkes and broke the news that she was the victim of a fraudster.

Robin Longmore, a financial intelligence development officer for West Mercia Police said, “Through our investigations we started to believe Vicky was a victim. This kind of thing is a massive problem in Nigeria and Ghana with groups of men sitting in internet cafes all conning people over their internet dating sites.

“We believe that this person was operating from Nigeria and John Hawkins is clearly a made up name and the pictures that he used are obviously taken from the internet and are innocent members of the public.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro/british-divorcee-loses-40000-to-nigerian-fraudster/
Re: British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster by GeeCee(m): 2:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
There is no where in this article where it was stated that the fraudster is a Nigerian.
Re: British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster by warrior01: 2:36pm On Feb 16, 2012
just 40000 and she's complaining, didn't her forefathers collect much more than that. Anyway, somebody should let her know that luv is costly nowadays.
Re: British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 17, 2012
shocked shocked

So in this day and age, some people still fall for yahoo-yahoo scam? What a shame! sad

That lady isn't enlightened, informed or exposed. Well, my condolences.

If you want to be in a relationship, get off your lazy a$$, make yourself attractive, and step outdoors. Online relationships are bullshyt.
Re: British Divorcee Loses £40,000 To Nigerian Fraudster by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 17, 2012
warrior01:

just 40000 and she's complaining, didn't her forefathers collect much more than that. Anyway, somebody should let her know that luv is costly nowadays.
Lol.

(1) (Reply)

Go Sale Your Cows Tomatoes And Every Thing You Have And Dont Come Distub Us Fg / Truly Incompetent / Why Are We Nigerians Loud And Aggressive?!?!?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.