Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Playstation Vita - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Playstation Vita (6856 Views)

Fairly Used Playstation Vita For Sale / Playstation Vita Tops Uae Newest Gadgets / Playstation Vita Coming Soon.( A New Playstation Portable) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 8:11pm On Feb 16, 2012
The (limited edition) PS Vita finally hit shelves in the US yesterday, so i thought i should post a review.

Hardware Review: PlayStation Vita

On February 22 (or February 15, for anyone ordering the "First Edition" bundle), Sony's latest portable gaming device arrives in North American stores after debuting in Japan late last year. The PlayStation Vita is the company's follow-up to the PlayStation Portable, and it boasts a 5-inch OLED touch screen, an additional touchpad on the rear, front-and-rear cameras, new analog controls, and various improvements under the hood.
Pricing

There are two distinct versions of the new device, plus a special limited edition launch bundle. The entry-level Vita is equipped with WiFi and retails for $250. Note that you'll also need a memory card to do virtually anything, and the unit doesn't come with one, so expect to shell out another $20 or so (or up to $100 for a high-capacity card).

If you want 3G connectivity in addition to the WiFi, the price jumps to $300, though Sony is bundling a small memory card with this higher-priced unit for a limited time. A 3G data plan will run you another $15-$30 per month, depending on how much data you need. Finally, the First Edition bundle sells for $350, and that 3G system also comes with a memory card, as well as a limited edition carrying case, a copy of the game Little Deviants, and the bragging rights that come with getting the device a week before everyone else.
Launch titles

Be sure to visit Metacritic's new PS Vita section for a complete listing of Vita games and their reviews. The launch lineup is impressive for its quantity (25 individual titles), and possibly even its quality, at least compared to the launch titles associated with other recent devices. Some of the better Vita games available separately at launch include:

Lumines: Electronic Symphony

Rayman Origins

Super Stardust Delta

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

WipEout 2048

Other games expected to land on the Vita later this year include sci-fi shooter Resistance: Burning Skies (due May 29), the stylish action game Gravity Rush (originally set to be a launch title but now delayed), and the addictive music platformer Sound Shapes.
What critics are saying

The bottom line? Many critics agree that while the Vita is excessively expensive, it easily represents the best handheld gaming option on the market, and boasts stunning graphics. They also agree that the device is geared toward hardcore gamers and not those looking for the occasional casual game, and some have doubts about Sony's commitment to bringing enough quality titles to the platform in the future. Here are some of the specific features critics have been highlighting:

PSP comparison: While the Vita and the original PSP have a very similar shape and outward appearance, many reviewers stressed that the Vita—which is slightly larger and heavier than the PSP—isn't just an updated PSP, but an entirely new device. In addition to the front and rear touch screens, the Vita also adds a second analog control stick lacking on the original PSP. Note that the Vita is backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games (but not any on UMD, since the new device utilizes a different format).

Overall look and feel: The device is definitely on the big side, which hinders its portability (or at least its pocketability), and the glossy screen loves to pick up fingerprints and smudges (which any iPhone owner will be familiar with). Otherwise, critics had few complaints about the Vita's look and ergonomics, and generally found the hardware solidly built and pleasing, if familiar.

Battery life: Reviewers seem to be getting about 4-5 hours of gameplay on a full charge (less with 3G enabled), which is disappointingly short to many critics though that figure is actually on the high end of Sony's claims, and is superior to the battery life of the competing 3DS. Watching video rather than playing games adds an extra hour or so of battery time (even longer if you are just listening to music), and standby battery life seems to be superior to that of the PSP. One other word of caution: charging is done via a Sony proprietary cable, so you can't use any of your existing USB cables.

3G: Note that the products tested by reviewers did not have working 3G access, so that functionality has not been evaluated.

Operating system: The built-in, smartphone-like OS is receiving mostly high marks from reviewers for its ease of use and speedy responsiveness, as well as its ability to multitask, though it might lack Apple's sense of style, and at least one critic is complaining about the excessive number of clicks need to perform any task. And there are many complaints about trying to transfer data and photos from the Vita to your computer (it's doable, but cumbersome). Built-in apps are fairly straightforward and unspectacular, though the web browser is especially subpar. Shopping for games in the included online store can also be a bit tedious, though reviewers note that it is much more streamlined and easier to use than its PS3 counterpart.

Video: While there are many complaints about the terrible quality of the cameras, no one is complaining about that 5-inch, 960 x 544 OLED screen; it's simply gorgeous, and every game played on it looks terrific, with near-HD quality graphics. The screen is impressively large, and seems clear and bright even at an angle (which certainly sets it apart from Nintendo's 3DS).

Media and memory: Nearly every reviewer complains about the requirement for a memory card and Sony's failure to include one with the Vita; they see it as a sneaky way to increase the overall price of the unit. They also complain that it is yet another Sony proprietary memory card, meaning that you have few options other than to buy Sony's expensive cards. Games themselves come on yet another type of proprietary card, which is different from that used by the PSP (and are so tiny that they can be tricky to get in and out and are easy to misplace), though reviewers seem encouraged by Sony's increasing reliance on downloadable games. Note that games on physical media can be slow to load.

Gameplay controls: Buttons, D-pad, and analog sticks are all responsive and easy to use, though some reviewers noted that having two sicks protruding from the unit makes the Vita less pocket-friendly than other handhelds. (They also note that the sticks will seem a tad limited in motion for anyone accustomed to the PS3's DualShock controllers, but nevertheless are happy to have the controls, which they feel will translate into a better hardcore gaming experience than anything found on other handhelds.) Critics find the front touchscreen incredibly responsive, especially when compared to that of the 3DS. Only a few reviewers seem to have much use for the rear touchpad (which theoretically permits touch input without needing to block your view of the game), which reviewers see as a gimmick more than something entirely necessary. A few critics complain more vociferously, noting that it is far too easy to accidentally touch the pad while playing, though some games actually take this into account and correct for such inadvertent touches.

Source

You can check out Uncharted: Golden Abyss reviews HERE
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 9:50am On Feb 18, 2012
I'm not getting one until after it gets properly hacked. Its bad enough that most games on the thing will be downloads and i dont have a good dataplan, i'm just not dropping that much money for mobile gaming. Maybe in 4 - 5 months maybe, when there are more games out.
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 2:30pm On Feb 18, 2012
Haven't been a fan of handhelds since the GBA myself. . .
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 7:00am On Feb 19, 2012
Oh but handhelds are fun. You miss out on series continuations of series if you don't have handhelds. Fina fantasy, Kingdom hearts, Metal gear solid, all of them have story branches on handhelds (the PSP). Also, if emulators aren't your thing you can play your old PlayStation favorites on the PSP. I'm currently looking for monkey magic, ever play that? Also I'm assuming the vita will be back compatible with PS, PSP and PS2 games.
Re: Playstation Vita by Bawss1(m): 9:03am On Feb 20, 2012
With the price of the Vita as it is now, Sony had better be making a profit on every unit pushed at launch. But that hefty price - for a handheld! - is what is going to keep the likes of me from getting one anytime soon. Like ritchboy the first and only handheld I ever had was from the last century Game Boy not the GBA, you know, green screen and all. lol. I lent it to a friend and that was the last I saw of it. Its not like I was never interested in the PSP but Sony's flagship console kept stealing my attention. . . My phone is my handheld now.
What's happening to the Playstation Phone anyways?
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 11:50am On Feb 20, 2012
Grizz:

Oh but handhelds are fun. You miss out on series continuations of series if you don't have handhelds. Fina fantasy, Kingdom hearts, Metal gear solid, all of them have story branches on handhelds (the PSP). Also, if emulators aren't your thing you can play your old PlayStation favorites on the PSP. I'm currently looking for monkey magic, ever play that? Also I'm assuming the vita will be back compatible with PS, PSP and PS2 games.

Good point. . . e.g I finished Chains Of Olympus but barely played Ghost of Sparta sad

Golden Abyss is set to fly over my head as well cheesy

Bawss1:

With the price of the Vita as it is now, Sony had better be making a profit on every unit pushed at launch. But that hefty price - for a handheld! - is what is going to keep the likes of me from getting one anytime soon. Like ritchboy the first and only handheld I ever had was from the last century Game Boy not the GBA, you know, green screen and all. lol. I lent it to a friend and that was the last I saw of it. Its not like I was never interested in the PSP but Sony's flagship console kept stealing my attention. . . My phone is my handheld now.
What's happening to the Playstation Phone anyways?

[size=14pt]THIS![/size]
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 6:09pm On Feb 20, 2012
Androids? Iphones? Doesn't matter. Out of every 1,000 mobile game there's 999 angry birds and 1 infinity blade.
And i think the playstation phone tanked.
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 8:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
Grizz:

Androids? Iphones? Doesn't matter. Out of every 1,000 mobile game there's 999 angry birds and 1 infinity blade.
And i think the playstation phone tanked.

Playstation phone as in SEX-Play? cheesy
Re: Playstation Vita by Bawss1(m): 9:12pm On Feb 20, 2012
Thats Sony Ericsson Xperia, people, just incase you were wondering. Get your minds out of the gutter. cheesy
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 7:45am On Feb 21, 2012
Still tanked, sold even less than the Psp-Go.
Re: Playstation Vita by texazzpete(m): 11:08pm On Feb 22, 2012
I just picked up my PS Vita today. Loaded $100 in my PSN account and bought FIFA Soccer, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Super Stardust. I expect to get lots of mileage from this. Loving the hardware, the excellent screen and the stunning graphics.

I love smartphone gaming like anyone else, but i gotta admit that physical controls can't be beat. After i lost 5 games of Street Fighter IV on my iPhone to someone i would easily crush with physical controls, i realize that for real gaming you need buttons!

We'll see.

Grizz:

I'm not getting one until after it gets properly hacked. Its bad enough that most games on the thing will be downloads and i dont have a good dataplan, i'm just not dropping that much money for mobile gaming. Maybe in 4 - 5 months maybe, when there are more games out.

There are already loads of games out for the Vita, with perhaps the strongest ever launch lineup for a portable console. The games are sold in cartridge format as well as downloadable on PSN. Who told you most games would be download only?

The average cost of Vita games should be around $35. That's around 6k. is that really that much?

Grizz:

Still tanked, sold even less than the Psp-Go.

Yep. The xperia play was a crappy move on Sony's part. to their credit they've done quite well in continued support for the device.
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 12:38am On Feb 23, 2012
All the launch titles are in cartridge form but i remember reading last year that Sony's plan was to make most of the vita's games PSN downloads eventually. And when you're already buying ps3 CDs dropping another 6k for vita games wont be so cheap. For now though, all i want on the vita is a Sony approved emulator for all my old Ps2 Isos, the ones i made from my salvageable CD's(yeah i was that guy, never lent out my CDs). When there's a bigger catalog of vita games i like, i'll see what i can do about getting the games used, maybe even here on nairaland.
Re: Playstation Vita by texazzpete(m): 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2012
You heard wrong. Sony's plan is to make every Vita game available for digital download on Psn in addition to cartridge sales.
Personally the advantages in having day one downloads are pretty nice.

Sony will never release a ps2 emulator and even if they manage to allow PS2 games running on the Vita, u can be sure they'll never allow you use your own isos.
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 10:02pm On Feb 23, 2012
texazzpete:

Sony will never release a ps2 emulator and even if they manage to allow PS2 games running on the Vita, u can be sure they'll never allow you use your own isos.

A man can dream. i just don't see why i should have to pay for games i already own. This is what makes people do stupid things like hack their consoles. Well actually people do that cos they're cheap but still. . .
Re: Playstation Vita by texazzpete(m): 1:35am On Feb 24, 2012
Grizz:

A man can dream. i just don't see why i should have to pay for games i already own. This is what makes people do silly things like hack their consoles. Well actually people do that cos they're cheap but still. . .

Not sure why you're convinced SOny is forcing you to repurchase games you already bought on your PS2. As far as i know, no former PS2 game is being re-released on the Vita.
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 4:10pm On Feb 24, 2012
Had my first feel of the Vita today, nothing overly spectacular. Played BB for a bit, didn't feel weird at all, almost as good as the console version.

The problem is the best reviewed launch titles aren't that good. . . Wake me up when there is a critically acclaimed title grin grin
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 7:13pm On Feb 24, 2012
Final fantasy x is. I'm a big final fantasy fan and every few months i get the urge to revisit old grounds. And if people are getting to play their old favorites on their handhelds i don't see why i shouldn't. I'm a paying customer. I paid many years ago but my money is still valid. Charging for the emulator is fine, it would sort of be like buying a console. Paying for the games on the other hand,
ritchboy:

The problem is the best reviewed launch titles aren't that good. . . Wake me up when there is a critically acclaimed title grin grin
I dont think you'll have to wait very long.
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 9:35pm On Feb 24, 2012
From the upcoming roster there's

Silent Hill: Not expecting any out of the ordinary.

Resistance: Could turn out to be be really good, but unlikely to be better than what's currently on offer.

Street Fighter X Tekken: No release date yet.

LittleBigPlanet: Console port, been there done that.

Mortal Kombat: Ditto.

Oddworld: Ditto.

I'm hardly on the edge of my seat. Hopefully one of the lesser anticipated titles would surprise us.
Re: Playstation Vita by Nobody: 2:36am On Feb 25, 2012
how soon before they hack it cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 9:36am On Feb 25, 2012
Homebrews are already running via the PSP emulator smiley
Re: Playstation Vita by texazzpete(m): 6:03pm On Feb 25, 2012
ritchboy:

From the upcoming roster there's

Silent Hill: Not expecting any out of the ordinary.

Resistance: Could turn out to be be really good, but unlikely to be better than what's currently on offer.

Street Fighter X Tekken: No release date yet.

LittleBigPlanet: Console port, been there done that.

Mortal Kombat: Ditto.

Oddworld: Ditto.

I'm hardly on the edge of my seat. Hopefully one of the lesser anticipated titles would surprise us.

Uncharted, Wipeout, Fifa and Virtua Tennis are launch titles and pretty good. Lumines has been getting rave reviews everywhere. Gravity Daze is a launch window title and looks and feels great.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 is excellent if you like fighters. Ditto for Blazblue.

Nothing wrong with Console ports if you havent played the original. And there's something to be said about portability. As we speak I have my Vita in a pouch beside me ready for a quick game of FIFA. I can't very well lug my PS3 around with me, can i?
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 8:39am On Feb 26, 2012
texazzpete:

Uncharted, Wipeout, Fifa and Virtua Tennis are launch titles and pretty good.

Seems Sony played the Uncharted card too early to boost sales cos the reviews, while good, haven't been great. Wipeout is decent. The rest are console ports I've already played in 1080p!

Lumines has been getting rave reviews everywhere.

Lumines is like quarter-a-game. . . It's like an XBLA title you shell out five bucks for! Can you call that a video game with a straight face? cheesy

Gravity Daze is a launch window title and looks and feels great.

This seems like the only 5-star title but it's still three months away unless you speak Japanese!

Marvel vs Capcom 3 is excellent if you like fighters. Ditto for Blazblue.

More watered-down console ports I've already played to death.

Nothing wrong with Console ports if you havent played the original.

Problem is, I have, every single one, no exception!

And there's something to be said about portability. As we speak I have my Vita in a pouch beside me ready for a quick game of FIFA. I can't very well lug my PS3 around with me, can i?

Well obviously portability is the only advantage otherwise we won't even be having this conversation to begin with.
Re: Playstation Vita by texazzpete(m): 2:26pm On Feb 26, 2012
ritchboy:

Seems Sony played the Uncharted card too early to boost sales cos the reviews, while good, haven't been great. Wipeout is decent. The rest are console ports I've already played in 1080p!

Lumines is like quarter-a-game. . . It's like an XBLA title you shell out five bucks for! Can you call that a video game with a straight face? cheesy

This seems like the only 5-star title but it's still three months away unless you speak Japanese!

More watered-down console ports I've already played to death.

Problem is, I have, every single one, no exception!

Well obviously portability is the only advantage otherwise we won't even be having this conversation to begin with.

1) I've seen Uncharted scores run the whole gamut from 70% to 95%. Reviews can be subjective. What is more important is that on PSN, user ratings for Uncharted: golden Abyss are at a solid 4.5/5.

2) Using the term 'watered down' to refer to ports is rather amusing. We are discussing the quality of MOBILE GAMES here. using that same logic, it can be argued that 99% of all mobile games are 'watered down'. There are definitely sacrifices that WILL be evident when you compare a 3GB FIFA game on Vita to a 9GB BluRay release on the PS3. That said, reviewers agree that FIFA Soccer on Vita is a largely excellent game and that Virtua Tennis Vita looks very nearly as good as its PS3 counterparts and with the same content as on PS3.

3) Lumines is NOT a 'quarter game'. You're taking the very Nigerian approach of looking down at puzzle games. Lumines is one of the best reviewed Vita titles and while I admit that i find the asking price rather too steep, the XBLA version did NOT launch at $5.

4) Marvel vs Capcom 2 and blazblue pretty much have all the content that their console counterparts boast. How exactly are they 'watered down'? Does a game automatically become 'watered down' when it appears on a portable console?

I agree with you, the vita launch titles aren't exactly the massive slam-dunk Sony and the press were making it out to be, but I think you're unduly harsh on the little console grin
Re: Playstation Vita by ritchboy(m): 6:54pm On Feb 26, 2012
texazzpete:

1) I've seen Uncharted scores run the whole gamut from 70% to 95%. Reviews can be subjective. What is more important is that on PSN, user ratings for Uncharted: golden Abyss are at a solid 4.5/5.

It's Metacritic aggregate rating is about 80. Obviously one man's meat is another man's cyanide, I'll judge for myself when i play it, that's if i ever do!

2) Using the term 'watered down' to refer to ports is rather amusing. We are discussing the quality of MOBILE GAMES here. using that same logic, it can be argued that 99% of all mobile games are 'watered down'. There are definitely sacrifices that WILL be evident when you compare a 3GB FIFA game on Vita to a 9GB BluRay release on the PS3. That said, reviewers agree that FIFA Soccer on Vita is a largely excellent game and that Virtua Tennis Vita looks very nearly as good as its PS3 counterparts and with the same content as on PS3.

You can't tell me how great the Vita's portability is then turn around to say this. You can't eat your cake and have it son! The advantage of portability comes at a price. 9gb - 3gb is stone-wall water-downism! grin grin

3) Lumines is NOT a 'quarter game'. You're taking the very Nigerian approach of looking down at puzzle games. Lumines is one of the best reviewed Vita titles and while I admit that i find the asking price rather too steep, the XBLA version did NOT launch at $5.

Sorry, Lumines is quarter a video game. When i recap what video-games I'm playing i don't count Zuma and co. That doesn't mean it's a bad game by any means, I'm sure it's very good. The fact you find the asking price too steep says it all, why don't you find Uncharted's price too steep? I never said it's five bucks on XBLA, i wasn't even aware it was on XBLA.

4) Marvel vs Capcom 2 and blazblue pretty much have all the content that their console counterparts boast. How exactly are they 'watered down'? Does a game automatically become 'watered down' when it appears on a portable console?

I haven't played MvC3 on the Vita, only played BlazBlue briefly(haven't played the console version of Extend yet). Perhaps i was wrong to assume they're lacking in content.

I agree with you, the vita launch titles aren't exactly the massive slam-dunk Sony and the press were making it out to be, but I think you're unduly harsh on the little console grin

Hehehe, just too many ports for my liking, and no genuine killer app. Let's hope Gravity Rush lives up to it's billing.
Re: Playstation Vita by omicpet(m): 11:48pm On Feb 26, 2012
Just got one of it . Nice feel plus great graphics. Can't really drop ma 3ds for it though am far more tempted to do so. Anyways will upload some pics later. Might as well sell it. Just a tot though. Oh and yes I got the 3g version
Re: Playstation Vita by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 11, 2012
i have to admt that i had no interest in buyin one partially because i'd done no research about it and partially because i never liked the original psp. but when my buddy texazzpete gave me one, it has been the best device i've bought in years. i only have 'golden abyss' yet i play with my vita more than my ps3!

The graphics on thiis machine are truly amazing! believe me, you need to play it to understand what im talking about. The experience is like playing the real thing. the browser is super fast even on our archaic nigerian networks. The one downside thoughis the sub par cameras. As to being heavy, your arms will hurt from just holdin them up empty anyway.!

Summary: best handheld out there by a mile. And as with sony, you know it will only get better!
Re: Playstation Vita by Grizz: 5:37pm On Mar 11, 2012
I can't decide what i want more right now, the vita or the new iPhone. By the way I'm glad to see this forum got a much needed facelift. We can even put up pictures now, so good news for all you fans who've been clamoring to see my junk. Uploading it on a thread seemed so impersonal, now i can just make it my profile picture.
Re: Playstation Vita by imma2(m): 1:04pm On Mar 19, 2012
Pls i need to know where i can buy the physical card in Nigeria and how do i get to pay for it over my psn acc?
Re: Playstation Vita by Ozegbe(m): 10:02am On May 19, 2012
which is really better? the 3g/wifi or wifi mode only?
@og2771 why did you choose the 3g over the wifi?
Lastly where can i get it in nigeria? is it available in shoprite?
Re: Playstation Vita by Nobody: 10:18am On May 19, 2012
@ Ozegbe:

I actually have the wifi only model. And its available boku in computer village. Both 3g and wifi models too
Re: Playstation Vita by Ozegbe(m): 7:23pm On May 19, 2012
og2711: @ Ozegbe:

I actually have the wifi only model. And its available boku in computer village. Both 3g and wifi models too
please whats the current price of both variant i.e 3g and wifi only.
BTW which would you prefer i go with? thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dream League Soccer 2020 Apk Download For Android / Your Best And Worst RPG Games? / Brand New Nintendo Switch Oled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.